Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-30-2018, 01:43 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
1978 Argosy 30
1985 31' Excella
Sacramento , California
Ahhh this question comes up from time to time... is bigger a problem...

From my experance today I'd say NO... I have always had a 30 some trailer... although I have had a 18, 22, 15 ft length.. I kept going back to the 30 footers...

In years past... I'd say I had problem getting into some of the national and state parks... but today.. nada... and the percentage of spaces has been revised.

Most of the parks have reconized that a lot are pushing 40 ft MH and trailers... and while the spaces remain the same .. we have seen where they lengthend them by pushing back or removed the bumper stop at the rear of the site. Thus the site is the same length but the overhang to the rear is what they added to the site space. Most of the time they require that you keep the wheels on the pavement, asphalt, gravel area... but allow you to overhang to the rear of the pad some 10-15 ft...

What they haven't done is improve the access roads... and that is where longer means bad Ju Ju... as we saw lots of trees .. and a MH navgating the access road.. hitting one of them... due to pivot length... the driver got out.. and was miffed, throwing a temper tamp, that he bent up the upper roof rail... so he got back in gun'nd it and hit at least 3 others on his way out... after all if you hit one. why not get 'em all.. is the comments made from the campfire gallery... (another favorite past time is to watch newbies try and get the slide out back in...on a new one... their you can let your imagination run wild.. and still not invision what they did to try and get it back in...)

As to towing... I haven't seen a difference in mileage except for the added weight.. which I think increases log rymith'ly in length... anything over 25 ft.. you need to go to a 3/4t vehicle... not for the pulling but for the safety of braking.

As to tenting vs RV... we were in several state campgrounds in the mountains... that posted notice , at different times, that no tent camping or soft sided... due to the wild life getting into things... and attacking people...

the 30's are also considered full time'n although the new 30's are being listed by AS as not 4 season trailers.. and also refers to them as campers... interesting they did away with the floor insulation in the belly pan on the new ones...

Either way... you need a good TV... PU's are used about 80% of the time... and a nice feature is to have a hitch on the front to get into some of the tight spaces... also your going to need a gen set that also will live in the bed of the PU... places for hoses and other camping stuff too...

We have pulled our trailers over many a mile... and your right... 30 ft is about just right... for anything over a week on the road... We have seen some say that 25 ft is best... well then why do most of them eventually end up at 30 ft ? It is big but its worth it...

If you want to have a good movie and see how in days of old they moved their 35 foot'r.. with a 145 hp car.. watch the long trailer with LB & DA... its a classic... that takes place in reality in Northern Cal.. and yosmite park.. Good lessons to be learned from that old movie.. by the way the campground they went to is still their... and takes up to 35 ft...
GM Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 01:57 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by D88PSU View Post
Hello all... I have been a forum observer/learner for a while. My wife and I are dreaming/planning on jumping into a Classic and TV in the next couple years. We are at odds over the 30 or 33.. she likes the bathroom in the 33... I like the panoramic view from the 30... but that is another thread...

I am wondering if any of you have found that that the overall length of the trailer+TV has been an issue with accessing places you want to camp.

I have read threads where people have gone from a shorter AS to a 30 or 33. I do not recall people going from 30 or 33 to a shorter one.

Any thoughts/comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Drew

No trailer
No TV
Lots of dreams
The most sensible way I can sum it up for you is that having to bypass a camp ground now and than because of a tight situation is a very small compromise in comparison to compromising 100 percent of the time on the spacious lav and living area both the 30' and 33' offer.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 02:24 PM   #23

2010 25' FB International
Paso Robles , California
trailer length

Quote:
Originally Posted by D88PSU View Post
Hello all... I have been a forum observer/learner for a while. My wife and I are dreaming/planning on jumping into a Classic and TV in the next couple years. We are at odds over the 30 or 33.. she likes the bathroom in the 33... I like the panoramic view from the 30... but that is another thread...

I am wondering if any of you have found that that the overall length of the trailer+TV has been an issue with accessing places you want to camp.

I have read threads where people have gone from a shorter AS to a 30 or 33. I do not recall people going from 30 or 33 to a shorter one.

Any thoughts/comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Drew

No trailer
No TV
Lots of dreams

We're in California and almost all dry camps for the State and Federal have a difficult time with over 25 feet.
jeffweidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 03:35 PM   #24
Still Dreaming

1971 29' Ambassador
Sulphur Springs , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
For example, my 25' AS combined with the tow vehicle is 40 feet, so my rig will only fit in 53% of National Parks Campgrouns. YMMV

From Jim at Camperreport:

"All of the numbers included here are the COMBINED lengths of the tow vehicle and the trailer/fifth wheel, or the motorhome and the towed vehicle. So you need to add the length of the RV and the vehicle together.

Also, keep in mind that RV companies often fudge the numbers on the length of their RVs. Get out a tape measure and actually measure your RV to know–it’s probably longer than what the manufacturer advertised.

Here are the averages:
  • RVs up to 12′ in length fit in every national park campground in the United States, although there are a few campgrounds that don’t allow RVs at all and are tent only.
  • RVs up to 19′ in length fit in 98% of all national park service campgrounds.
  • RVs up to 25′ in length fit in 93% of all national park campgrounds
  • RVs up to 29′ in length fit in 84% of all national park campgrounds
  • RVs up to 32′ in length fit in 81% of all national park campgrounds
  • RVs up to 35′ in length fit in 73% of all national park campgrounds
  • RVs up to 37′ in length fit in 60% of all national park campgrounds
  • RVs up to 40′ in length fit in 53% of all national park campgrounds (Remember that many of the parks will only have a few sites this size, however. Book long in advance if reservations are available–otherwise you run the risk of not having a spot)
  • RVs up to 41′ in length fit in 7% of all national park campgrounds (Remember that many of the parks will only have a few sites this size, however. Book long in advance if reservations are available–otherwise you run the risk of not having a spot)"

Note: This is a summary of the combined rig lengths that will be able to use National Parks. The percentages are NOT the percentage of sites per park that may be available, e.g. a particular park may only have a handful of sites that will accommodate the longer rigs.
Are you therefore saying that a 27fb pulled by a 23 foot Excursion (50 feet total) can go to NO parks???
Manning G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 04:37 PM   #25
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manning G View Post
Are you therefore saying that a 27fb pulled by a 23 foot Excursion (50 feet total) can go to NO parks???
This is an analysis of National Parks (not All parks) done by Jim at camperreport.com, so I couldn’t say.
Old 05-30-2018, 05:31 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
We were at Bandelier National Monument last week with our 25FB and short-wheelbase Yukon. The campground has about 50 sites. Eight to 12 of them would fit a rig of our size. Another five feet of length would eliminate half of those. There is only one site that can take pretty much anything.

We also hit Trinidad and Lathrop State Parks in Colorado. Trinidad's sites vary widely, with only a portion (maybe 30%??) good for a 30 foot trailer. Lathrop is the opposite--almost every site is a generous pullthrough.

I also have a 13 foot Scamp I town with a smallish minivan, and I have camped in sites where that combination barely fit.

So if you really like rustic, "in the woods" campsites, your options dwindle with size. If you like to go to well-traveled, tourist-friendly areas, you'll be fine.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 06:55 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
Lawrenceville , Georgia
Have had a few sites over the years we didn't fit into, lengthwise. never had to leave a park for that reason. Several long trips out west, most of the usual parks, also Canada, Rockies, Blue Ridge, blah blah blah. I can't say it won't happen, but it hasn't to us...yet. Also note that we almost never travel with reservations and almost never fail to get a site, yes even in the summer in Yellowstone. We do try to avoid the very busiest times.

Ultimately, you have to decide whether the size of the bathroom or the view wins the day, and know that regardless of your choice, you can have moments of questioning. Get the trailer you want and enjoy it.

Many happy trips to you. By the way, all the trips I mention above are in the 34' trailer we have now or its 34' predecessors.
fwjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 08:27 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
We live in the heartland, and whenever we go camping it seems that our 25 foot camper with no slides is tiny compared to all of the huge 5th wheels.

I think that the only factors that limit camping are available time and available money.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 11:01 PM   #29
Still Dreaming

1971 29' Ambassador
Sulphur Springs , Texas
watch the long trailer with LB & DA...

I'm embarrased to say that I have no idea what this refers to, I'm pretty sure when you tell me, I'll feel like an idiot
Manning G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 11:17 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
1978 Argosy 30
1985 31' Excella
Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwjumper View Post
Ultimately, you have to decide whether the size of the bathroom or the view wins the day, and know that regardless of your choice, you can have moments of questioning. Get the trailer you want and enjoy it.

Hmmm well lets see according to the RV industry stats you reside in the coach lounge area amost 46.2% of the time.. you spend only 7.5% of your time in the bathroom and 37% of your time in the bedroom. You spend 5.9% of the time in the kitchen area... and the rest is probably outside .

I draw your attention to the % of time in the bathroom vs Kitchen... interesting... ahhh yes what goes in has to come out sometime... but it takes 1.6% more time.... ahhh well ok... some do have reading material associated with it...
I am sure that some mates can expand that 7.5% percentage expedentally by 150% making the whole issue pointless...happy wife.. happy life.. kinda thing...

Seems to me your most comfortable in either place...
GM Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 04:08 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
Quote:

I'm embarrased to say that I have no idea what this refers to, I'm pretty sure when you tell me, I'll feel like an idiot
The Long Long Trailer movie with Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz.
Philip Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 04:45 AM   #32

2023 28' Pottery Barn
Watsontown , Pennsylvania
A Big Thanks To All!!!!

I have to admit I am overwhelmed with all the constructive feedback to my first posting on the forum. All the posts are written as if I were having a very pleasant conversation with my next door neighbor.

I appreciate the feedback.

In summary I think we will be fine with either the 30' or 33' Classic. I do not see us venturing far off the path of National Parks, festivals, etc...

Being willing to pass on a site is excellent advice.

In short it seems long will be ok...

Thanks again to all. And I am very impressed with the willingness to share advice.

Drew

No Trailer
No TV
Lots of Dreams
Old 05-31-2018, 06:34 AM   #33
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Hi Drew, welcome to the forum. I’m very happy you found this wonderful resource before you purchase your Airstream. There is a wealth of information available to you and most members really are very helpful, positive and encouraging, a few...well, maybe not so much. I urge you to read everything you can prior to picking up your new toy. There is often a learning curve and the more you know before hand the better your experience will be. Airstream is not perfect but everyone here either has, or had, or going to have one so members posting here have real life, real time experiences.
Things get rather heated and sometimes down right nasty when topic like tow vehicle, tires, weight distribution/ anti-sway hitches come up (and those topics pop up almost daily). So, poke around at the various sub-discussion, read all the various rants on QC just so you know beforehand, if you are considering a Classic please read the Much Ado Alde thread. Most problems can be fixed, tweaked very easy you just need a bit more information. My intention is not to scare you away but to offer advice and real experiences that will make you better informed that most new Airstream owners.
We are a loyal group and most of us have been mentored by members and then go on to mentor those who come in after us. I guarantee someone will always offer advice, a solution, a work around, support, commiserate, make you laugh or have an opinion on any question you may have.
Again, welcome. Now, go out and sit in everything model and start thinking of where you will put things, what tools you will need and where you want to go first.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 07:07 AM   #34
Vintage Only

1966 26' Overlander
Ramona , California
Quote:

This is an old movie with Lucille Ball. Mandatory watching for all airstream owners. DVD is on Amazon and worth purchasing.
Old 05-31-2018, 07:24 AM   #35
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
This is an analysis of National Parks (not All parks) done by Jim at camperreport.com, so I couldn’t say.
Hi

My observation of parks in general ( including National Parks ) is that their estimates of what will fit where are generally nonsense. They get confused when dealing with numbers I guess . I've seen a lot of sites described as "30' max" that are well over 40 feet long. I've also seen others described as 25' max that didn't make it to 20'.

Even if they get it right, what are they talking about ? Overall length *might* apply to a Class A that has to make a wide turn into the site. Try it with a TT and something much bigger fits. Put the 40 foot Class A in another site and the bumper is in the road. Unhitch the TV from a TT and park it at an angle ... no problem at all. Good luck finding all that broken out every where you go.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 07:57 AM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Anacortes , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyPete View Post
Our experience with our 27fb (really 28’ long) has been different than those above my post. We came out of a 39’+ motorhome flat towing an suv, so we have felt “little” these past almost 5 years with our Pete.

We almost always seem to be one of the smallest rigs in most state parks and small private parks we stay in. Compared to the 4 slide 40’ 5th wheels we often encounter anyway...... [emoji52]. I can’t imagine “camping” in something like that.

We go to any park we fancy in the Southeast without a worry.....so far at least (haven’t been out West yet - someday).

Hope this helps.
Come out west someday - we live in the NW and travel WA, OR, Northern CA, ID, MT, SD, UT and maybe in the fall to CO and NM. We also have a 27' and haven't had an issue with size. Weekends at NP and state parks in the summer season means having reservations long in advance, and anymore - with the popularity of camping, the weekdays at popular places now also mean reservations are recommended most of the time, just for peace of mind.
Pat Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 09:11 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
We went from a short wheelbase TV (119") and 25' AS to a long wheelbase (172") TV and 30' AS. Once we have determined that the length of the site will be sufficient for the AS, I go to the campground map and Google Satellite to see the angle that needs to be negotiated and width of approach road for a back-in site.

Having the 30' AS is well worth it and so far it has not limited the campground choice or a site that will work. Welcome to the forum and good luck in your choice!
Old 05-31-2018, 02:54 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2002 30' Classic S/O
Jackson , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 57Wanderer View Post
We are living full time in a 30 footer and and have not really felt that your choices were limited. Go for comfort. There are so many parks and RV resorts out there that are now catering to the Big Boxes you see everywhere. New airstreams look small and puny compared to these behemoths. Currently we are camped in New Jersey, about 60 miles from Manhattan, in a park called Mahlon-Dickenson Reservation (county park) with an assortment of site sizes offered. Back - in site, with room enough for our long truck (8 foot bed) and the trailer. It's not that hard to find a park that accommodates your size rig. We use the Allstays App. Easy to use. The information there will tell you if you're too big for the park. Even if your rig is too big for some of the National Parks, there are usually places to stay nearby that will accommodate you. We camped at Big Bend, Organ Pipe, Canyon de Chelly, and many other state and county facilities. You might think about adding solar to your rig, so you can boondock wherever you go..... freecampsites.net has proven invaluable to us. Cheers, and happy trails!

Not to get off topic, but is this the app you’re referring to?
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2111.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	230.0 KB
ID:	312545
Slide Out Society #72

Exploring the country in our beloved Monkey Barrel
nomadleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 03:01 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Buy the trailer you both want and are comfortable with, be it an AS or a 5th wheel or Motorhome and it will work out. Your preference is what makes it work, not the site sizes. Some will accommodate anything, others not so much. You'll make it work out.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 03:37 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
When planning our trip to Salem, I found that several places I wanted to stay seemed not to allow a rig combination 50' or more. Our 30' Classic approaches 32', and the truck is over 20'. Some campgrounds, mostly concessionaire run, stated a maximum total length of 30' or less. When questioned, several responded that separate parking for TVs was available.

Uncle_bob has it right. There is no standardization of what "maximum length" means. Some listings on Reserve America say maximum length 30 feet but then say driveway length 60'. I look at Google Maps, or Campsite Photos and try to make a judgement or call.

Unless you are a dedicated boondocker, buy the trailer you want and accept the limitations. If you can't find a federal, state, or county park that you can fit into, there's almost always a commercial park nearby.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote