Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-25-2023, 01:19 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2022 30' Classic
New Tazewell , TN
Concerns fixing to purchase 22 classic 30ft twin

Hi thank you for the add. We are looking at 22 30 ft Classic. The deal seems good compared to what we have been researching about 2 yrs. My concern is all the issues with the Czone system and Alde. I know it is a lot of money and I tend to research my way out of a joyful purchase. We have wanted an Airstream for years. I am disabled and the unit being close to the ground is very beneficial for me. I am also very short which limits the comfort of most furniture. I also have to sleep elevated and this unit meets all of my physical needs. Shower seat everything. My main concern is the Czone since it is essentially the motherboard of this unit. I know many of you have been members here for many years and read these posts regularly. Probably most of you could be professors in all aspects of Airstream. Thank you for any help or assurance.
Tcooper24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 04:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Technology can always be a hindering factor for people. So much relies on it and if the main board fails then you’re dead in the water. We full time in our classic for the past 5 years and haven’t experienced a catastrophic failure — well except the heating system but it didn’t stop our journey.

As long as you’re able to just keep rolling, I say go for it. Otherwise if the tech worries you, there are always the other models of airstreams with less tech involved.

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 04:14 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2023 33' Classic
Manassas , Virginia
I think your concerns with CZone and Alde systems are a little overblown. We have a Classic 33 with both systems and our experience has met expectations. In terms of product solutions designed as the ‘brains’ of a smart, connected system, CZone is amongst the market leaders. It’s a pretty good system all things considered. It originally was designed for marine use - high-end yachts and such - and migrated into the RV market. It actually is a collection of components that all work together. Even the switches and buttons in your Airstream are CZone components. The RV market today is demanding “smart” coaches. CZone is at the top of the heap in terms of supporting technologies for these smart RVs. If you’re in the market for a ‘smart RV’ - like any of the newer Airstreams, one equipped with a CZone system is a good choice.

However, since the CZone system is a vast collection of parts (they’re all over your Airstream), there are bound to be more problems statistically speaking than an older, analog RV with no ‘smart technology’ built in. There is just more “stuff” to break. It’s good stuff…but every high-tech gizmo is susceptible to breaking. If you understand the technology, it’s not a big deal. The problem is…few Airstream dealers **really** understand how the whole smear works. And this is why there is a lot of noise on the forums about the problems folks have. The CZone installation in our Airstreams is very much like a computer network and if you understand that, then working with the system is a little easier to think about.

Similarly, the Alde system is pretty good. Requires some understanding of how it works. It’s sensitive to Airstream water pressure…the goal here is to limit the pressures to reasonable values. I keep our coach pressure at 40 psi. We’ve had no issues with our Alde 3020. Importantly, the Alde air cushion needs to be maintained religiously. Some folks never do…and they eventually have issues (the Alde Flow tank usually develops a leak). The issue is that water is incompressible and when the water pressures in your Airstream are too high combined with the water hammer effect when you initially turn on/off the water, the lightweight Alde Flow tank can spring a leak. Maintain reasonable water pressures and maintain your air cushion and you’ll be fine. We really like our Alde system. Quiet, even heat…endless hot water…runs on gas or electric. We’ve got no issues. The biggest issues I’ve seen are with folks kind of ignoring the owners manual with respect to water pressure and maintenance of the air cushion. Again…it’s a really nice system, but requires a wee bit of knowledge from their owners.
InvertdEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 11:07 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2022 30' Classic
New Tazewell , TN
Many thanks

After reading your explanation I am very appreciative. Your understanding and explanation of these systems has helped greatly. We are waiting for them to have the unit ready and I am excited for the new adventures to come. Thanks again.
Old 05-26-2023, 09:38 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcooper24 View Post
After reading your explanation I am very appreciative. Your understanding and explanation of these systems has helped greatly. We are waiting for them to have the unit ready and I am excited for the new adventures to come. Thanks again.
Congratulations on choosing the Classic. We bought ours new in 2019 and have loved it ever since. Just remember to relieve the pressure on the Alde system (no matter what your dealer tells you!) and enjoy your Classic for a long long time!

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 12:22 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
2015 25' Flying Cloud
Blue Ridge , Georgia
2020 30' Classic for last 3 1/2 yrs with no problems with the CZone or the Alde system. There is a learning curve and there is a Facebook page for Air Stream Classics which you can post questions and get pretty quick replies. Good Luck and have fun!
Gleverett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 05:49 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2022 30' Classic
New Tazewell , TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gleverett View Post
2020 30' Classic for last 3 1/2 yrs with no problems with the CZone or the Alde system. There is a learning curve and there is a Facebook page for Air Stream Classics which you can post questions and get pretty quick replies. Good Luck and have fun!
Thank you for the Facebook page!
Old 05-29-2023, 05:52 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2022 30' Classic
New Tazewell , TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
Congratulations on choosing the Classic. We bought ours new in 2019 and have loved it ever since. Just remember to relieve the pressure on the Alde system (no matter what your dealer tells you!) and enjoy your Classic for a long long time!
Thank you 😊 I do have a question if not in use what do you recommend on the pressure release.
Old 05-29-2023, 06:01 AM   #9
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Welcome aboard...

Don't let all the things that might happen, stop you from enjoying all the things that will.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 06-11-2023, 11:37 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcooper24 View Post
Hi thank you for the add. We are looking at 22 30 ft Classic. The deal seems good compared to what we have been researching about 2 yrs. My concern is all the issues with the Czone system and Alde. I know it is a lot of money and I tend to research my way out of a joyful purchase. We have wanted an Airstream for years. I am disabled and the unit being close to the ground is very beneficial for me. I am also very short which limits the comfort of most furniture. I also have to sleep elevated and this unit meets all of my physical needs. Shower seat everything. My main concern is the Czone since it is essentially the motherboard of this unit. I know many of you have been members here for many years and read these posts regularly. Probably most of you could be professors in all aspects of Airstream. Thank you for any help or assurance.
We have a 2027 30 Classic and will never have another Trailer without the Alde. It is fantastic and has been completely trouble free.
We set the temp for the night time when needed and presto silently the trailer is a cozy nest.
It is really great when traveling during the colder months.
Also less dust to deal with.
And you will really appreciate the bed . I too like adjust it and it is far more comfortable than piling up pillows.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote