Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2017, 07:09 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
2018 30' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
Classic Interior

So I have to ask, ...
I love the classic.
The interior is, 'chock full', of these panels.
I'm sure they're there to accommodate the day nite blinds and also to provide additional insulation. etc, etc.
but cmon, ....

Got it, ... but those things are like 3'thick.
I've got a screen grab of the panel at the table.
It's really obvious how much it eats into what I'd refer to, livable space'.
I'll bet a Costco lunch that sucker is 3' +.
Add a panlel on the onther side and we're losing 6' of interior space.
We all know that Airstreams have honed their craft for like a century, ...
We also know that given the slide competition interior space should be a huge focus. .
What I'm interested in is for those who've purchaced a late model Classic 2017, 2018. 30" or 33", .....
In this era of modern technology would you have wanted AS to implement a more technological refinement? IE, Panel width of no more than 1'.

keenly interested in the response.

Thanks

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Classic Panel.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	296680  
davcarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 04:22 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Green Cove Springs , Florida
I have a 2017 Classic. The panels donít bother me and I would much prefer the Ocean Air day/night shades to curtains.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:31 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
We have a 2017 Classic. We love the Ocean Air day/nigh shades. Put plastic spacers on the bottoms of the frames, the shades no longer hit the AS handles while opening or closing.

2020 28' Twin Flying Cloud-(Our 5th Airstream)

USAF Master Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 05:28 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Livingston , Texas
We love the "enclosed valances".

They provide almost total darkness and don't have the rattling sound of the pull down shades. They also privide something to lean against when sitting at the dinette instead of the pull down shade and the catches of the other blinds don't get caught on things.

Yes, the do take up space but it is not in the zone that matters. Except around the dinette and around the twin bed configuration. But we would rather have the darkness factor around the twin beds.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:44 AM   #5
Obviously-NOT

2017 30' Classic
Kalispell , Montana
They attach with screws, take them off and hang curtains if you don't like them.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
I definitely like the Ocean Air day/night shades in my 30 Classic. In the 33 Classic, the panels have much larger "blank" areas and are much more noticeable than on the 30.
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 03:10 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
2018 30' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
Thumbs up So i asked AS and guess what? ... they replied.

Here is what they said and it aligns with all the great feedback I'm getting from you guys.

Hi Mr. Carver-

Thank you for the email and your feedback, it is much appreciated. When we redesigned the Classic to its current design, we wanted to focus on two things- the inner shell and the cabinetry. For the cabinetry we went from a rustic hickory to a glazed cabinetry in Cognac Maple and Mocha Cherry. The hand rubbed stain really changed the design. For the inner shell, we removed the vinyl wrapping and exposed the aluminum on the interior like our other models. Unfortunately, when you do that, it looks like the other models. So to soften the look and to add some privacy, we added the window boxes which are wrapped. These valances were designed after the ones we do in the Interstate touring coach we build. It provides much more privacy when the blinds are closed and provides a design ascetic as well as it wraps around the entire floorplan.

Since the design change, we are selling ten times more Classics. They have been very well received. You do bring up a good point that it takes up a little more room. However, we have found that people largely have taken on this compromise to get the look and function of the window valances.

I hope this provides some of the insight behind the design decision. I realize it isnít for everyone.
Thanks again for the email! I love getting the feedback.

Happy Airstreaming-
davcarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 03:20 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
New York , New York
I use that space inside those blinds for all kinds of things. Place to put my remotes, my glasses, my iPhone, my rolled up puzzle. It is not hidden storage, but it functions as storage for me.
ajwbarnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 04:51 PM   #9
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by davcarv View Post
So I have to ask, ...
I love the classic.
The interior is, 'chock full', of these panels.
I'm sure they're there to accommodate the day nite blinds and also to provide additional insulation. etc, etc.
but cmon, ....

Got it, ... but those things are like 3'thick.
I've got a screen grab of the panel at the table.
It's really obvious how much it eats into what I'd refer to, livable space'.
I'll bet a Costco lunch that sucker is 3' +.
Add a panlel on the onther side and we're losing 6' of interior space.
We all know that Airstreams have honed their craft for like a century, ...
We also know that given the slide competition interior space should be a huge focus. .
What I'm interested in is for those who've purchaced a late model Classic 2017, 2018. 30" or 33", .....
In this era of modern technology would you have wanted AS to implement a more technological refinement? IE, Panel width of no more than 1'.

keenly interested in the response.

Thanks

Dave
Hi

Well, I'm sitting here next to one of those "gizmos". It gets into human factors engineering (isn't that a cute term ) People (and dogs) occupy a bit more "space" low than the they do "high" . The inch (or maybe two) you save is impacted by this. There really are a fairly small number of places even this comes into play. A lot of the "space" used is over the sofa or the beds (we have twins). About the only major place this does not apply is at the dinette. There, sure, you would get back a bit of room.

More significant is the type of shades and window levers used. Even "as built" there really isn't enough space. Cutting down any would require a *much* different way to operate the windows. I don't see that as any sort of easy fix....

Bob
uncle_bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 06:10 PM   #10
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
I must concur with my fellow 2017 Classic owners. I love the shades. I hated the curtains because they never would stay straight and there would always would be gaps of daylight coming through. The boxes hide the shades completely when open and actually feels like you have more space and the views aren’t blocked by curtains that never seem to look right. I also use the window boxes to hold the roll of clean poo bags right by the door, they are also great for stashing the remote, playing cards, reading glasses, etc. The boxes on the the front and rear do not take up any precious floor space and like other owners of the twin, those boxes and shades are over the beds so no wasted space there.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 06:29 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
My wife and I just purchased a classic 18í. The window treatments are actually what drew us to the classic for black out. We will be full timing and didnít even think twice about the 1Ē that we give up to keep the black out blinds effective and nicely decorated. Just my .02

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 07:05 PM   #12
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Congratulations on your new Airstream. They are lovely and I hope you will enjoy for many many years.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:52 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
2017 30' Classic
Summerville , South Carolina
Paceman,
I have the same problem when opening the shades. They hit the window handles and make them a pain to open. When you added the spacers at the bottom, does light now leak in around the valance?
Captain Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:47 AM   #14
Obviously-NOT

2017 30' Classic
Kalispell , Montana
Captain Hank, most of my knob shade interference went away when I started storing the window handle straight down at the bottom of the vertical slot, vice in the lowest angled slot. That silly millimeter made all the difference. Only one window by the door didn't work there. The slotted brackets seem to be installed in almost the same place for all the windows, but could be moved to enable this option.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Airstream Forums mobile app
Old 10-12-2017, 08:05 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hank View Post
Paceman,
I have the same problem when opening the shades. They hit the window handles and make them a pain to open. When you added the spacers at the bottom, does light now leak in around the valance?
No, I purchased 1/4" thick nylon spacers at Home Depot. Backed the screws out and placed the washer and screwed back in. No issue with light coming in at night. Works for us and now much easier for my wife to close without having to think about the handles.

Bud

2020 28' Twin Flying Cloud-(Our 5th Airstream)

USAF Master Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 02:17 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Meadow Vista , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
We have a 2017 Classic. We love the Ocean Air day/nigh shades. Put plastic spacers on the bottoms of the frames, the shades no longer hit the AS handles while opening or closing.
What kind of spacers did you use?
Thanks,
SS
SilverSinbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 02:19 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Meadow Vista , California
I see your response.
Thanks
SilverSinbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 06:11 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
We installed these in our 2017 Classic. They helped with the shades hitting window levers. Plus they look way better than the standard plastic knobs.
https://www.vintagetrailersupply.com...-p/vts-294.htm
Old 10-13-2017, 06:13 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0631.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	296911
Old 10-14-2017, 10:41 AM   #20
Obviously-NOT

2017 30' Classic
Kalispell , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoe7009 View Post
We installed these in our 2017 Classic. They helped with the shades hitting window levers. Plus they look way better than the standard plastic knobs.
https://www.vintagetrailersupply.com...-p/vts-294.htm
Are they just shorter?