Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2017, 01:01 PM   #1
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Classic Fun with Fuses

Hi

Just incase anybody else runs into this on their newer Classic:

First symptom is a "thunk" from the speakers over the recliners. It sort of a "what was that" kind of thing.

Next you notice that the recliners don't move and the blue lights are out on the USB charge ports.

Rather than dig into what I did next, take a look at the TV. Is the red power LED out? If so it's lost power as well. They both are on the inverter circuit ... hmmm....

Do you still have shore power? I keep a tester in the kitchen socket so that's a quick check. (if no shore power ... go fix that ...)

Next, turn on the inverter for a second (if it's not already on) still no power on the TV and recliners? (if that fixes it, check the number 7 breaker ....)

The common element between the shore power and inverter is a fuse in the front of the inverter. You get to it by pulling the drawer that is under the microwave. It's at the back of the inverter by the wall. It's a cartridge fuse in a screw in holder.

Powering down the 120V when pulling the fuse can be done with the breaker or by unplugging the inverter. That plug is behind the lowest drawer under the sink.

Pull the fuse and if it's like mine you will find a SLC-15 fuse. Check it with an multimeter. It's likely blown. If not, keep digging ...

Good luck finding an fuse from the same guys (Littlefuse). What you are more likely to find is a SC-15 fuse. It's essentially the same thing from a different outfit (Bussman). Home Depot is a likely source. You probably will not find them at a small town hardware store.

Pop in the new fuse and things come back to life. One is left wondering just why the fuse popped in the first place. That's something one may or may not find out at some point in the future ....

Camping is *so* much fun !!!

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 02:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
I was told that with the 2017 Classics and at the time only our trailers the Inverter can be bypassed simply by turning it off at the inverter not the Firefly. All other trailers I was told the 110 power goes thru the inverter whether it's on or off.

So, you are sure it's an SLC 15? I just checked Amazon and they only have the SLC 30.

Plus I don't get why a 50amp system would have a 15 amp SLC fuse, but then there is a lot I don't get.

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 03:50 PM   #3
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The magic fuse involved is in the 120V transfer switch circuitry. It is in common with both the inverter output and the 120V pass through from shore power.

Amazon for the fuse in my inverter:

https://www.amazon.com/Littelfuse-SL...eywords=SLC-15

Amazon for the fuse that is easier to find:

https://www.amazon.com/Bussmann-BP-S...rds=SC-15+fuse

Since it's a 120V fuse, your normal inventory of 12v automotive fuses aren't going to do you much good. It is a bit hard to dig down to, so finding out just what it is ... not so easy.

Not surprisingly, none of the buttons on the inverter did anything to bypass the fuse. So far after a few hours, the new one is doing fine ..... let's hope it stays that way.

Bob
Old 11-08-2017, 12:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Thanks Bob, I too wonder why anything something like this occurs. Often it's "operator error" - me, but almost as often it's not and simply don't know why. Which continually bothers me every time we go out.

Bud
Old 11-09-2017, 05:52 AM   #5
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
120v/15 amps for that one AC circuit that the inverter powers from the battery when not on shore power?
Old 11-09-2017, 05:56 AM   #6
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post

Not surprisingly, none of the buttons on the inverter did anything to bypass the fuse. So far after a few hours, the new one is doing fine ..... let's hope it stays that way.

Bob
Buttons? I thought it was just a silver box with a few lights and a fan from a jet engine repurposed to cool it and blow away all the surrounding cobwebs.

You boon docking somewhere to use the inverter?
Old 11-09-2017, 09:06 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
2017 30' Classic
Grapeview , Washington
I may be missing something? You have shore power in use and the inverter on at the same time?
sbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:50 AM   #8
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Ok, backing up a bit:

On the Classic, the "inverter" sockets are live when you are on shore power. In most AS trailers, you play a game plugging things into either an "inverter" or a "shore power" outlet. That does not go on with the Classic. Instead, there is a transfer switch built into the inverter.

The transfer switch looks at what is going on and either hooks the downstream outlets to the inverter or to shore power. The switch is rated at 20A, so is the circuit that the inverter is plugged into. To keep odd things from happening they use a protection fuse rated at 15 rather than 20A.

The magic fuse is just there to protect the switch. It really has nothing to do with the inverter side of things. The same fuse is used to protect the switch in inverter or shore power mode. If the fuse blows, both functions go dead. Yes, that's a bit "interesting" but it's the way things are wired.

When you are on shore power with the inverter off, you don't think much about the inverter. Outlets go dead, you are on shore power ... what to check? Inverter is not the obvious first thing to dig into. Indeed, firing up the inverter is a quick way to see if "this fuse" is the one you are looking for. If not move on Other than that, the inverter function is not involved.

The inverter it's self is pretty conventional looking. It has a rear panel that the wires go into . It has a front panel with an LCD display, some LED's, the fuse holder, and buttons. The big red button lets you turn on the inverter independent of the FireFly should you ever need to do that.

So yes, it's all a bit odd until you dig into it. It took me a couple extra loops to figure out what was what. My guess is that others will run into the same problem eventually. If so, having it all spelled out might save some time. The information is in the wiring diagram. Like most diagrams, it's a bit cryptic. Needless to say, I've done a *lot* of diagrams like that over the years Made sense to me on the day I drew it

Bob
Old 11-09-2017, 11:54 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Safari
Denver , North Carolina
I predict in the future there will be a thread starting with " I didn't find an answer to this question about a magic fuse on a newer classic".
mbubbaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:47 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
I don't like Amazon, but it is great. I got my two, hopefully, never to be used back-up SLC 15 fuses today. I still don't get what they do or why, but at least know I have one for each hand.

Bud
Old 11-09-2017, 02:36 PM   #11
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
I don't like Amazon, but it is great. I got my two, hopefully, never to be used back-up SLC 15 fuses today. I still don't get what they do or why, but at least know I have one for each hand.

Bud
Hi

They protect the sockets that have an "inverter" label on them in the trailer. When you loose power to the inverter sockets, that fuse may be the problem (or it may not be ...)

Bob
Old 11-10-2017, 04:02 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

They protect the sockets that have an "inverter" label on them in the trailer. When you loose power to the inverter sockets, that fuse may be the problem (or it may not be ...)

Bob

OK, thanks, now I've got it and the fuses.

Bud
Old 11-21-2017, 03:25 PM   #13
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
OK, thanks, now I've got it and the fuses.

Bud
Me too, thanks uncle bob.
Old 11-21-2017, 05:29 PM   #14
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
I don’t. Please keep it super simple for me. What fuses do I need to keep on hand just in case this magical preinverter fuse goes bad? Where do I go to purchase this, what do I ask for, and where does it go, (assuming it goes in front of the inverter ) No, I am not a complete idiot but I am not an electrical engineer nor do I wish to go back to school to become one. However, I do not wish to be caught off guard while on a trip so I will be teaching myself all that I can pertaining to my trailer including crash courses in wiring diagrams. Any and all help is welcome. KISS : )

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 06:05 AM   #15
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
See #3 post for ordering info and where it goes. ;-)
Old 11-22-2017, 06:51 AM   #16
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Cliff notes version:

1) Get the fuse from Amazon (see post 3)

2) If the plugs with "inverter" all go dead, check the breaker first.

3) If it's not the breaker, check the fuse. It's in the inverter. The inverter is behind / under the drawer below the microwave.

The key issue is that the fuse affects you on shore power with the inverter turned off. There's normally no reason to check the inverter when you have a shore power problem.

Bob
Old 11-22-2017, 05:25 PM   #17
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Ok, now I am on the same page. Thanks guys. Side note *God, I hate crawling around on the floor trying to get to the inverter with a flashlight hanging out of my mouth* getting old sucks

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 06:29 PM   #18
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrick.l.j View Post
Ok, now I am on the same page. Thanks guys. Side note *God, I hate crawling around on the floor trying to get to the inverter with a flashlight hanging out of my mouth* getting old sucks
Hi

That's why they make the headlamps. Of course *finding* one is sometimes a pain. We have them hanging up at a couple of places in the AS.

Bob
Old 11-22-2017, 06:29 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Classic Fun with Fuses

Cheap headband lights from local discount warehouse or big box home center works for me. The crawling ain’t the problem. The getting up and down is the tough part...

Old age is not for wimps....but it beats the hell out of the alternatives
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 04:49 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Cheap headband lights from local discount warehouse or big box home center works for me. The crawling ain’t the problem. The getting up and down is the tough part...

Old age is not for wimps....but it beats the hell out of the alternatives
My ninety five year old father tells me the same thing - "beats the alternative".