Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-06-2018, 03:02 PM   #21
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
A couple of RV campgrounds we have stayed at have had "cable" in the form of a handful of satellite receivers that send those signals into a single line out. So, "cable" would consist of 5 channels from the satellite provider.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:43 AM   #22
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
A couple of RV campgrounds we have stayed at have had "cable" in the form of a handful of satellite receivers that send those signals into a single line out. So, "cable" would consist of 5 channels from the satellite provider.
Hi

That sort of stuff may (or may not) be ok with the satellite outfit. I'm sure it's ok if you mention to them you have 45 people hooked up and pay accordingly ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 09:11 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' Classic
Fayetteville , North Carolina
Please keep us updated on what you discuss..
Lets travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 08:19 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
2018 33' Classic
Weatherford , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by smmckean View Post
This only pertains to Classic 33s, The Homework entertainment tuner (for the projector tv) is only capable of receiving "air tv" and not capable of receiving cable tv. Airstream is aware and their engineering is working to correct (probably through a recall). This is a problem that Airstream has not previously experienced, because the TV tuners were built in the Samsung TV. It appears this has caught them by surprise.
Follow-up...Airstream acknowledged that the Homeworx tuner does not meet the needs/requirements. They are sending another tuner box as a replacement that the dealer and I will test in a campground within a couple of weeks. According to the description, the new tuner should work, but it is yet to be fully tested.
smmckean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 05:08 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' Classic
Fayetteville , North Carolina
keep us updated on the results

Thanks
Lets travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 06:16 PM   #26
Davey "Ham" KU9L

Currently Looking...
Winter Haven , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to KU9L
Quote:
Follow-up...Airstream acknowledged that the Homeworx tuner does not meet the needs/requirements. They are sending another tuner box as a replacement that the dealer and I will test in a campground within a couple of weeks. According to the description, the new tuner should work, but it is yet to be fully tested.
Thanks and keep us updated. Our local provider (Spectrum) is sending us the tiny box with a remote control that we are supposed to be handing out to every coach. Supposedly it has both an HDMI (HD) and RF (SD) output. So basically a cable compatible tuner would be no help since we will be stuck using bandpass converters that act like tuners. I cherish not to be the one to install it on 200 RV sites x how many TV's there are on each site. Time will tell how everything irons out, but good luck testing the new box and that there will continue to be plenty of suppliers out there putting content on channels accessible to our TV's.
KU9L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 03:54 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2020 33' Classic
St Tammany , Louisiana
Quote:
Classic 33 owner here... thanks for staying after this. Looking forward to any updates you share regarding this issue.
ChipB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 04:51 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
2018 30' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
Two things,
1. Doesn't this depend on the on the campground being able to receive a good cell signal?
2. Don't you eat up your data plan steaming? (I know that my plan has unlimited until I go above 20G. Then it throttles me. That's ATT.
davcarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 06:42 AM   #29
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by davcarv View Post
Two things,
1. Doesn't this depend on the on the campground being able to receive a good cell signal?
2. Don't you eat up your data plan steaming? (I know that my plan has unlimited until I go above 20G. Then it throttles me. That's ATT.
Hi

Campgrounds seem to be *way* more likely to have adequate cell coverage than cable systems. I have yet to notice any obvious throttling on my AT&T gear. If they are doing it where I gobble up data, they do it pretty carefully.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 11:42 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Medway , Massachusetts
33' Projector

An excellent question and one I immediately had on reading this thread. We are awaiting pickup of our new AS but have the manuals already. There is not one word regarding the projector. The Homework which feeds it via HDMI has only RF input. The Blue Ray DVD player has an HDMI out. So we hope there's a free HDMI input on the projector but if not, we can probably install an HDMI switch in line with the Blue Ray out. I'm hoping I can use my TiVo HDMI out to provide source material as I have hundreds of hours of pre-recorded movies and shows on it.
MAHofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:02 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Medway , Massachusetts
Quote:
We too, as new 33 AS owners are anxious to hear how this turns out. Not sure how we get notified though re new posts on this.
MAHofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 07:30 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
2018 33' Classic
Weatherford , Texas
Quote:
The response from Airstream: I met with our engineering dept. this afternoon. I also confirmed with them that they have a clear understanding of the issue you are experiencing. Our engineering team has ordered a digital cable receiver that we feel will allow you to view the cable channels. This would be a direct replacement for the one currently installed. Of course testing will need to happen once we receive the part to confirm that this will indeed take care of this issue for you. The receiver is produced by Firebird-systems.com. ......The part has arrived in Fort Worth, and I am taking my Classic 33 to my nearest campground for the dealer techs to meet me for installation, testing and reporting. I hope to have a positive review for all tomorrow. Airstream will most likely notify owners via a service bulletin for replacement of the Homeworx.
Old 02-07-2018, 01:37 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
2018 33' Classic
Weatherford , Texas
The Airstream dealer met me in the campground this morning to try the new tuner box, without success. Things are back to the factory to find a suitable tuner for the projector TV.
Old 02-07-2018, 01:43 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2020 33' Classic
St Tammany , Louisiana
Quote:
The Airstream dealer met me in the campground this morning to try the new tuner box, without success. Things are back to the factory to find a suitable tuner for the projector TV.
Thanks for the update and the time you're putting into this. I am curious as to which Firebird-systems.com model was tried in your unit. The process must be frustrating- I'm hoping (selfishly) for a fix soon.

Thanks again,
Chip
Old 02-08-2018, 01:40 AM   #35

Wanamingo , Alaska
Hello all. Take this with a grain of salt, but I just got a 33 classic and immediately went to a RV park in Tampa for two months. They had free cable and of course it didn’t work on my system. One day a worker came to me and asked if I had cable (apparently some people had complained) I said no and he came back later and said a cable was disconnected and to try it. I went in and set it to cable, auto programmed and I had all the cable channels. You all probably know more than me about this, but at this park I had cable without any boxes or anything.
Im at a different park now but didn’t opt to pay, so I have no more experience than that.

Brian
Cobra-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 07:08 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
2018 33' Classic
Weatherford , Texas
The Unit tested was the DCT 210....still frustrating to all since perfect cable and over the air reception in the bedroom on the Samsung TV. I have been to 3 separate campgrounds and 2 separate sites at the first, then 6 sites at the second and then only 1 at the third. Each time, I moved I verified that the camper before me was receiving good cable signals.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:49 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
2018 33' Classic
Weatherford , Texas
Projector TV update

I am just off the phone with Airstream Audio/Visual supplier who helped design the 65" projector TV. He was embarrassed to know that the Classic 33 TV was not able to receive cable TV in the living room but only in the bedroom. He does understand the issue and the problem. Unfortunately, I am finding that the cable input to the projector TV was never fully tested, because the factory does not have a cable pedestal (like in the campgrounds). The supplier is researching other possible solutions and will meet me for testing mid March...after I return from my Cabin Fever Break vacation trip.

What is interesting: is that most of the comments to my thread have been from people who do not own the 33, or who do not understand the issue. We are trying to reach the Samsung company to offer the tuner in a portable box similar to what is used in their projection TVs for meeting rooms. It appears that there is a special micro chip that reads the cable signal.

In the meantime, if you own a Classic 33, call Airstream Customer Service at 877–596–6111 X7401 ask for Jeremy Allen to share your desire to have the cable tv in the Living Room Projector TV. Airstream knows now that this is a problem and it impacts all of the 33s produced. They need to hear from you.
Old 02-24-2018, 12:07 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2020 33' Classic
St Tammany , Louisiana
Quote:
I am just off the phone with Airstream Audio/Visual supplier who helped design the 65" projector TV. He was embarrassed to know that the Classic 33 TV was not able to receive cable TV in the living room but only in the bedroom. He does understand the issue and the problem. Unfortunately, I am finding that the cable input to the projector TV was never fully tested, because the factory does not have a cable pedestal (like in the campgrounds). The supplier is researching other possible solutions and will meet me for testing mid March...after I return from my Cabin Fever Break vacation trip.

What is interesting: is that most of the comments to my thread have been from people who do not own the 33, or who do not understand the issue. We are trying to reach the Samsung company to offer the tuner in a portable box similar to what is used in their projection TVs for meeting rooms. It appears that there is a special micro chip that reads the cable signal.

In the meantime, if you own a Classic 33, call Airstream Customer Service at 877–596–6111 X7401 ask for Jeremy Allen to share your desire to have the cable tv in the Living Room Projector TV. Airstream knows now that this is a problem and it impacts all of the 33s produced. They need to hear from you.
I will be calling Monday. Thanks again for staying after this issue!

Enjoy your Cabin Fever Break!
Chip
Old 02-24-2018, 12:14 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' International
Ellicott City , Maryland
I didn't know Southerners get cabin fever!

Tow Vehicle: 2001 Ford Excursion 7.3L Diesel
ExStreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 06:49 PM   #40
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I am sympathetic with all the 33’ owners who cannot watch cable TV on their projector TVs. It does make me wonder, though, how you could install a tuner-less projector (I have one in my home theater), and not realize that the unit you were putting in your flagship/highest priced trailer would not work with a cable signal. Regrettably, there seems to be an annual “Whoops” with the Classics. Mine had the Relax Awning board that burned out motors, the
16’s (and 17’s) have had the Alde/Cold Shower problem, Firefly’s that needed uploaded firmware. It seems as if the customer receives a product that has not been thoroughly tested and must wend their way through a process to get something working correctly at their time and inconvenience. It isn’t just the Classic line. Ask any Airstream dealer what they have gone through with the Basecamp and its premature birth. There are features I really like on the new Classics, and I can afford one. But, my ’15 now does everything it’s supposed to and I don’t want to go through the replace/repair/modify process again. Makes me sad to see this. I love Airstreams.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote