Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-02-2018, 11:27 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Cell and WiFi booster

Hey everyone, I’m in the market for a booster(s). I know the new airstreams have this built in already but for all us outdated models, what do you guys use or does anyone know of 5g capable cell boosters yet? Secondly, is there a cell and WiFi booster in one or is it mainly just one for each?

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 02:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSxyWhtGuy View Post
Hey everyone, I’m in the market for a booster(s). I know the new airstreams have this built in already but for all us outdated models, what do you guys use or does anyone know of 5g capable cell boosters yet? Secondly, is there a cell and WiFi booster in one or is it mainly just one for each?
Several folks seem happy with the one that comes standard now in the Classic models...I was told this morning AS bought that company and has worked a deal with ATT. I believe there were some posts on this earlier on the Forum. I would surely check this out. Think ATT is offering AS owners a discount also??
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 04:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
More than you'd ever want to know can be found at www.rvmobileinternet.com. This is run by the legendary full time RV/Boat folks at Technomadia. They really know their stuff. As a place to start, the vendor everyone has heard of and few have beaten is Wilson Electronics and their weboost line. I have a Drive 4G-X RV currently. In my previous RV I had a Drive 4G-M. Both work great. They'll add a bar or two your reception.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 10:05 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
2017 30' Classic
Grapeview , Washington
We are planning on installing a booster in our 2017 Classic. After much research, WeBoost was the clear winner for some time. However SureCall 2018 is the winner for 2018. We are waiting for 2019 to see who is best. Both WeBoost and SureCall are priced pretty much same.

Best regards and safe travels
sbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 10:08 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
I wasn't clear on my earlier post regarding the new wifi which comes standard now on the 2019 Classic's; anyone have any info on the company AS bought and the standard system now offered vs the Wilson mentioned above? Also, good to understand the ATT deal for AS owners; does it apply to existing owners of older rigs vs 2019 models also?
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 11-03-2018, 10:28 AM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

There are a number of threads on the magic package that comes with the 2019 Classics. It's made up of various bits and piece from companies not owned by Airstream. At this point the basic answer is "not quite ready for prime time yet".

Quick rundown on various "boosters":

WeBoost (from Wilson) gets a lot of press and we have one. It does a fine job if your cell phone is within 6" of the inside antenna. Once you get several feet away ... not quite so useful. How good is "fine job"? It will get you slightly better coverage than your cell phone gets outdoors. It will take data speeds that will not quite stream and turn them into data speeds that will stream. It will not turn a "no bars" signal into super duper streaming. It does nothing at all for WiFI.

WiFi Ranger is a gizmo that will grab campground (or Starbucks) WiFi and rebroadcast it inside your trailer. It will do a pretty good job of extending the range of a WiFi signal. The gotcha here is that most campground WiFi systems are pretty poor. If you are trying to stream decent video .... not so much. With a lot of them, email may not even make it through.

External Modem: This is just a very normal cellular modem mounted outside your trailer. You do something to get the data from the modem back inside. It's not the same as a modem with an outdoor antenna. They seem to do as well as a WeBoost and generally cost less. Typical units do not play with campground WiFi.

The magic AS gizmo is trying to take a external modem and get it to play nice with campground WiFi. So far, reports are that it's not (yet) up to the task.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 10:38 AM   #7
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Been using all generations of the WiFiRanger.
It works great!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 11:09 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
For several years I have been using the Wilson amplifier - an older one for 3G. It does make a difference when in a fringe area. Have been thinking of the WeBoost, but so far my coverage is acceptable.

As for cellular providers, the best overall coverage is Verizon. This is especially so in the west. Boondocking in the Sonora (SW AZ), Verizon is markedly better.

Back in 2005 (before using data plans), to capture a wi-fi signal I used a "cantenna". This simple device successfully picked up wi-fi signals at remarkable signals. Once I was having work done on my 1994 LY moho, and was able to pick up a useable wi-fi signal about 1/2 mile away to get my email. See https://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Cantenna for plans on making one.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 04:29 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
we have both in our sport 22FB

this is our inside equipment and roof ANT setup
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wifi extender, local switch and cell booster with annotations.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	326933   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wifi and cell ant mointed with extra wide roof tape1.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	233.6 KB
ID:	326934  

waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 04:58 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2022 20' Basecamp
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
Make sure you maintain at least 20 feet between the interior and exterior cell booster antennas. Many installers still don't understand the need for the separation to minimize interference between the two.. Also make sure that you place your interior "candy bar" antenna in reach of a table or somewhere that your cell phone or wifi puck can have direct contact....for maximum effectiveness.
SilverWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 06:13 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
There is no 5G booster as of yet as 5G is just now being implemented. 5G is a significant change that will take a long time to roll out. They will obviously start in heavily populated areas....meaning that the places we camp will be the LAST to get 5G. So look for a good 4G booster as 4G will be around for a very long time. Most like the Weboost.
billrector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 03:41 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2018 33' Classic
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
I have a 2018 Classic 33, and I use the WiFi Ranger as well as the WeBoost cellular booster. Both work wonderfully well...

I will add a few notes to this. The WiFi Ranger doesn’t provide any benefit if you’re in a place with no available wifi nearby, which applies to most of the state parks and recreation areas where I typically stay.

I carry a Verizon Jetpack with me for WiFi, and set it next to the WeBoost interior antenna. This improves the signal and speed of the cellular connection for the Jetpack, thus improving the WiFi throughput.

I will also note that my phone shows no change in cellular bars (I have an iPhone Xs) even when placed right next to the WeBoost interior antenna. However, the Jetpack actually has a gain meter on it, and there is a significant improvement on the signal even though the “bar” meter on the phone doesn’t change.

Regarding the AT&T package being offered in the new Airstreams (and also as a retrofit for older Airstreams), I was originally very excited about this since I use my trailer to work remotely while taking extended hunting trips. However, on my most recent trip to North and South Dakota, a friend joined me for part of the trip and his service (AT&T) was non-existent, while mine (Verizon) was fine... The AT&T package won’t work for me if I can’t get reception when I need it most, so I’m sticking with my Verizon Jetpack, even though I’m limited to 15gb.
Old 11-04-2018, 03:49 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Here is that earlier thread with good discussions about the various AS/ATT/Verizon issues:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f483...ms-187354.html

A new post in that thread would re-energize it, and allow a thorough discussion in one location IMO.

The Electronics and Connectivity forum is also a good place for further info:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f317/

. . . as is the following sub-forum:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f451/

Peter

FYI
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 07:11 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Thanks for the responses everyone! Confirms a lot of what I have already found. I have been tethering my phone for WiFi everywhere we go which has been mostly effective. The challenge most recently has been getting cell signal in the tin can occasionally.
I’m excited for the future 5g technology. Maybe will wait to install this stuff to let the tech catch up to our desires and needs.

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 10:20 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSxyWhtGuy View Post
Thanks for the responses everyone! Confirms a lot of what I have already found. I have been tethering my phone for WiFi everywhere we go which has been mostly effective. The challenge most recently has been getting cell signal in the tin can occasionally.
I’m excited for the future 5g technology. Maybe will wait to install this stuff to let the tech catch up to our desires and needs.
If guess it depends on where you camp. Out where we go I’m often times connecting to towers that haven’t even been upgraded to LTE. It will be a good five years before 5G is prevalent.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 11:15 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibby View Post
I have a 2018 Classic 33, and I use the WiFi Ranger as well as the WeBoost cellular booster. Both work wonderfully well...

I will add a few notes to this. The WiFi Ranger doesn’t provide any benefit if you’re in a place with no available wifi nearby, which applies to most of the state parks and recreation areas where I typically stay.

I carry a Verizon Jetpack with me for WiFi, and set it next to the WeBoost interior antenna. This improves the signal and speed of the cellular connection for the Jetpack, thus improving the WiFi throughput.

I will also note that my phone shows no change in cellular bars (I have an iPhone Xs) even when placed right next to the WeBoost interior antenna. However, the Jetpack actually has a gain meter on it, and there is a significant improvement on the signal even though the “bar” meter on the phone doesn’t change.

Regarding the AT&T package being offered in the new Airstreams (and also as a retrofit for older Airstreams), I was originally very excited about this since I use my trailer to work remotely while taking extended hunting trips. However, on my most recent trip to North and South Dakota, a friend joined me for part of the trip and his service (AT&T) was non-existent, while mine (Verizon) was fine... The AT&T package won’t work for me if I can’t get reception when I need it most, so I’m sticking with my Verizon Jetpack, even though I’m limited to 15gb.
AT&T in Montana (some areas- East Glacier area) is terrible also...other areas in the state are fine. I considered moving to Verizon for that reason, and likely would if I could get similar pricing on my plan with them I just went through that "discussion" with folks at BestBuy, and turned out I was better off staying with AT&T for now due to cost difference. I will check again when 5G is up and running...
Old 11-04-2018, 03:45 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Just a bit of clarification . . .

The WeBoost and it's predecessor (3G data which I have) deals only with the data portion of the signal - telephone voice stays the same. The AS is an almost complete Faraday shield, the signal from within is usually spotty (unless you are sitting right beside a window). However, this same aluminum provides a magnificent ground plane for a vertical antenna, which is what I use as the exterior antenna with the cellular booster. When JC was doing some work on my AS back in 2011, they has to remove the front Fantastic fan. This was a perfect opportunity for them to drill a hole through the exterior skin about 6 inches in front of the front vent and install the cellular antenna, snaking the wire down in between the interior and exterior skins.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote