Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-07-2022, 05:26 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2022 33' Classic
2019 33' Classic
2017 27' Tommy Bahama
Scottsdale , Arizona
C-panel stays on after battery disconnect

I have a 22 classic 33, which was a bought with trade for a 19 classic 33. In the 19 when I would hit the battery disconnect the c-zone panel would turn off. Now in the new one the panel stays on with a message that the battery has been disconnected.

Also, I can still access the trailer from the airstream app with the battery disconnected.

The panel and pep wave seem to be the only things that continue to work.

I’m thinking this setup was done because the czone seems to control solar charging now. There is no victron panel in the new trailer and the solar info is in the c-zone.

If this is the case how do I shut down everything when needed, I’m guessing I have to pull a fuse.
trepine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 10:25 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2022 33' Classic
Chesapeake , Virginia
Probably not much help, but we have the same trailer. When we lock up the AS, we just push the battery disconnect button, and I wait until I hear the relays switch somewhere aft in the AS. I've seen the message on the CZone, too. I assume the panel goes to sleep, since we've done this, and when we come back the batteries are 100% charged by solar.

I leave the Pepwave turned off, but that's another story.

Bill
BGClassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 11:22 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2023 33' Classic
Manassas , Virginia
I'm guessing that Airstream needed to make sure that the CZone and Pepwave router remained powered at all times...even when you leave the trailer and disconnect the battery. This would be needed to allow for remote access to turn the batts on/off, air conditioning, awning, etc. The Pepwave provides for the remote access, but the brains of the whole affair is in the CZone system. I might surf through the wiring diagrams later today to see if it's rendered in there.
InvertdEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 12:00 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2022 33' Classic
Chesapeake , Virginia
Concur that CZone and Pepwave have power all the time. I turn off the router with the key, since for the first few weeks of ownership it did not work. Guess I could leave it on, but do not see the benefit.
Old 07-08-2022, 04:39 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2022 33' Classic
2019 33' Classic
2017 27' Tommy Bahama
Scottsdale , Arizona
Supposedly from airstream, turning the key off for the pep wave will power off the entire system when battery is disconnected. I’m not with the trailer for a couple more weeks, so I can’t test it. But I guess that would make sense.

Currently my battery draw about 5-7% overnight which gets topped off during the day.
trepine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 08:42 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
You need to contact Airstream support and request the electrical schematics
. they have a set of schematics that is much more comprehensive than the one in the manual or the one on the lid of the power distribution box. You will then be able to determine exactly what should and should not be powered on.

We have a 2019 30' Classic and you cannot shut all power draws down without disconnecting the battery. The power off switch powers most of the Czone and all normal DC loads down. The key switch powers the router, Czone ethernet adapter and one Czone output module (so that if the trailer is online, that module can remotely turn the main power switch), but there are several circuits that are a constant draw. Note on the schematics that things controlled by the Main power are called the 12h circuit. Things controlled by the switch are called the 24h circuit. And those things that are directly powered have no circuit name. (Off the top of my head, the biggies are the solar controller, the inverter, the propane gas sensor, and the remote power switch, but there may be others.)

Anyway, the comprehensive schematics have the true wiring. (which may be considerably different from the manual and PD box schematics.)
Ephraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 09:17 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2022 28' Pottery Barn
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ , California

Ephraim is correct, you need to talk to the mothership in JC and get the schematic to run all of that down. These schematics are very detailed and great to have.

We have a ‘22 PB with the same setup you have. Didn’t care to spend time figuring it out and just wired a Blue Sea on/off
on the negative side. When the AS goes into enclosed storage (which is whenever not being used, preparing for a trip or breaking everything down after a trip), everything is off - zero draw.

Don’t care about reading the Czone, Pepwave, etc. when it is in storage and my power jack can’t be used so it makes it harder to steal, etc.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5589.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	215.1 KB
ID:	419095
WellSaid11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 10:10 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2022 33' Classic
Chesapeake , Virginia
Thanks Ephraim and WellSaid11. Good idea to kill the jack power. Luckily, I also have the Propride anti-theft device!
Old 07-08-2022, 10:41 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
Mamaroneck , New York
Power remains

I can assure you the power remains on even after pushing the battery disconnect. Our awning deployed on its own while our 2019 33 Classic was in storage. We have security video confirming this - crazy!

Or maybe we have a haunted Airstream?
14tidewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 12:02 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2022 28' Pottery Barn
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ , California

There are undoubtedly some systems still powered after the “disconnect” panel button is pressed. Also seems to be different as to what is still powered from model to model.

That’s why I put in the full disconnect switch - no power at all.
WellSaid11 is offline   Reply With Quote