Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-12-2020, 07:18 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
BOONE , Iowa
Broken pipe somewhere

Thanks to this group, we have the Alde system running, but now we have a much more serious issue. After doing the dishes last night I emptied the drain and a few seconds later we heard a rushing noise. A bit later I went back to the bathroom and the floor when I opened the door was damp and sticky. Then I noticed the rugs in the hallway were wet. Nothing under the sinks,either kitchen or bathroom was wet. The moisture was coming up under the floor.
We are in the middle of a six week trip, but now afraid to use the water, not knowing where there is a leak but obviously there is one somewhere under the floor. Thoughts? Does anyone have an opinion about having a repair like this done at a dealership in Florida. I want to take it to the factory, but the weather is bad heading north.

Candy
Cejones4210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 08:17 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
Is your grey tank full? Is water dripping out of the belly pan? When our grey tank is almost full we hear the same sound, and drain it, Otherwise water starts to rise in the shower!!
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 08:34 AM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
'Rushing' noise only with the water pump on?
Or only when draining the sink?

We also had a 'rushing' noise on our first trip...under the bathroom sink with the WP on. Crossthreaded/cracked fitting.
Repaired it with Marine Tex 17yrs, SFSG.
Seems unlikely that the leak is coming UP from under the floor.
Turn pump on/off quickly and inspect as much of the interior plumbing as possible.

Good Luck..👍

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_109f.jpeg
Views:	66
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	360995  
Old 02-12-2020, 09:45 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Are you in a 30 or 33? Water pump is under the fridge in the 30 and shares wall with the bathroom. You may want to pop the drawer out under the fridge and check for water in the space there?

On the 33, not sure where the pump is.

All of the drawers should be removable. You can start popping out drawers and looking for something like this, or the break in the system.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9908.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	360997

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 12:21 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Boone , IOWA
Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

We heard the ‘rush’ of water while draining the sink of dishwater. water pump was not on and gray water tank was not even 50%. The sound of the rushing water seemed to be back towards the shower.

I have not found any evidence of cracked pipes or connections in what I can see under the cabinets, nor any evidence of water dripping from underneath the camper looking from the outside.

Water ‘leak’ seemed to originate in bathroom a few inches out from under sink. Floor was dry under sink cabinet itself. Looks like water may have run out under bathroom door to aisle way between bathroom and shower. Flooring was a bit discolored and sticky I presume from greasy dish water from kitchen sink. Also some rug runners in that aisle were a bit wet.

Called service manager at Airstream Jackson Center and he confirmed that no drains are below the floor. Maybe connection worked loose allowing the ‘spill’. Airstream would need to see the unit to evaluate further. (We are scheduled for service there Mid-March)

I tried recreating the spill using clean water in sink and pulling the drain plug. Only filled sink 1/4 full and did not notice any ‘seepage’.

I am conjecturing at this point there may be a loose connection in the wall between the bathroom and bedroom. Maybe if there is any seepage it is occurring between the plywood floor and the vinyl floor covering and surfacing in front of the bath lavatory cabinet. Will try to recreate again when we get in off the road this evening.

Again thanks for suggestions.

Dave
iowajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 12:26 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Boone , IOWA
As regards the water pump we have a Classic 30. Have not checked it yet as possible source for leak.
iowajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 02:14 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
I suspect what is happening is that when you drain a filled sink sometimes a vacuum forms somewhere in the drain system (the vents and vacuum breakers are supposed to prevent this) The "rush of water" occurs when the vacuum is broken. Looking at my manual, I see two vacuum breakers and one vent in my galley drain, one breaker is behind the galley sink, the other is near the bathroom sink.

I think the vacuum breaker which is only supposed to let air enter, is allowing water out.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote