Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2021, 08:38 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2021 30RB Classic
Tucson , Arizona
Battery disconnect while towing

Hello,

Re: the 30’ RB Classic 2021. Currently full timer.
This is what happens when disconnecting shore power to tow, or when the power goes out at the campground:

The buttons by the door cycle and flash over and over,
The alde screen flashes on and off (even if I turn it off with the breaker and the button on the screen beforehand).
The CO monitor chirps over and over.

This all stops if I press the battery disconnect button by the door until everything turns off including the clock on the microwave and the power lights on the fridge.

There is nothing wrong with the battery. It measures 13.2.

Everything turns on again when I connect it back to shore power.

Is this what it is supposed to do? I thought that if the power went out, I’d still have some power for little things like lights. Is there another setting I’m missing?

Thank you,
Arthur
turonueve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 09:00 AM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If your 12V bus measures 13.2V you likely are looking at the converter / charger output voltage. To get a true battery voltage on lead acid batteries, you need to let them "rest" for about an hour. In this case, you would kill shore power and come back an hour later to see what's what.

The flashing lights stuff sounds like a wiring error / board problem or something similar. Time to head over to a dealer.

One other note: The normal switch by the door ( the use/store switch) does not really disconnect the batteries. You should have a red switch someplace else in the trailer that does do a full disconnect. This becomes important when you put the trailer in storage.

If you want to dive into troubleshooting the problem, there are things you could check. The gotcha is that you likely still go to the dealer to complete the fix. The only easy check / fix would be the ground / power wiring on the panel by the door.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 09:37 PM   #3
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Battery disconnect while towing

Your batteries are dying / are dead. 13.2 is voltage from your converter when on shore power, not your batteries.

Btw your microwave lights / clock will only ever come on if you are connected to shore power, assuming you have a trailer as delivered from the factory.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 05:22 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Your title talks about battery disconnect while towing, and your original post talks about disconnecting from shore power. These are not the same things, so I'm wondering if you're conflating the two issues?

Not exactly sure which you're asking about?
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 06:37 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Spooner , Wisconsin
Uncle Bob, you wrote ď You should have a red switch someplace else in the trailer that does do a full disconnect.Ē
Do you mean I should have one installed?
Or that there is already one there and it ought to be used?
I have a 2016 26U FC, and it does seem like there should be such a switch. But I cannot find it and donít see it in the literature that came with the unit.
Thanks
WherryWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 09:19 AM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by WherryWillie View Post
Uncle Bob, you wrote “ You should have a red switch someplace else in the trailer that does do a full disconnect.”
Do you mean I should have one installed?
Or that there is already one there and it ought to be used?
I have a 2016 26U FC, and it does seem like there should be such a switch. But I cannot find it and don’t see it in the literature that came with the unit.
Thanks
Hi

The OP has a 2021 AS according to his info. AS started putting full disconnect switches in a couple years ago. My understanding is that they now all come from the factory with a full disconnect installed. This is AS so any statement about "all done this way" inevitably will be wrong in some case.

Did they all get the switches in 2019? probably not. The 2020's and 2021's are a pretty good be. They certainly did not put them in in 2017 or earlier.

If you don't have one, should you install one? Yup.

Bob
Old 09-19-2021, 09:31 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
From the point of view of vintage I never disconnect for towing. I don't understand what the reason for disconnection is. Please enlighten me,
Old 09-19-2021, 11:17 AM   #8
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
From the point of view of vintage I never disconnect for towing. I don't understand what the reason for disconnection is. Please enlighten me,
Me also... I guess the newer TV's get grumpy when attached to the AS, some confusion about where the 'letric should go.
I only unplug when I remember.😂

Bob
🇺🇸

Love for the Adirondacks

"It is more wiser to ponder all things with diligent suspicion, than follow with blind assumption."
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 11:21 AM   #9
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I've noticed that if I don't disconnect from shore power there is this odd noise from the trailer as I pull out of the campsite .....

Bob
Old 09-19-2021, 02:40 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Tifton , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

I've noticed that if I don't disconnect from shore power there is this odd noise from the trailer as I pull out of the campsite .....

Bob
Big Bang, Big Flash, Lots of Smoke and a lot of mad campers as the power cut off. Not me but a brand new Class A which backed into a tree when trying to get into his assigned spot. Also didn't disconnect shore water, ran over his sewer line and almost ran over someone running towards him to warn him he hadn't disconnected. His excuse...the dealer didn't tell him he had to disconnect.

Really lightened up the afternoon. All those newbies have really added entertainment to camping.
xyzabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 02:54 PM   #11
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you do a deep dive into the hose that hooks up to the normal gas station gas pump .... it's designed to snap off. That doesn't always work perfectly, but that *is* one of the design objectives.

Disconnect can mean a lot of things and be done a lot of ways ....easy to get very confused very quickly.

Bob
Old 09-19-2021, 05:33 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2021 30RB Classic
Tucson , Arizona
Issue resolved

Thanks everyone for the inputs. Taking a little from each, I finally figured it out.

The big red battery disconnect switch (BEP marine) under the wardrobe was set to “auto On.” I looked up the BEP marine switch on their website where they explain the settings. Somehow for my trailer, when the switch in the “auto on” position everything goes haywire and the battery does not charge. It must not be auto-ing on the way it is supposed to by using the button by the door.

I turned the knob all the way clockwise (a nice solid click) to the “manual on” position. The next time I disconnected from shore power, everything worked like it should (jacks, stabilizers, fridge, lights, Czone screen all operational). Not sure why, but the battery voltage indicator under the sink still shows 13.2 volts without being plugged into shore power. Regardless, towed it home, plugged it back in, and everything started right up without hesitation like before.

I’m very relieved now. This glitch has been bugging me for the past couple of months. Manual is much better anyway in my opinion.

Thanks again everybody for the help.

Arthur
turonueve is offline   Reply With Quote