Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-21-2019, 08:21 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
INDIAN HARBOUR BEACH , Florida
I'm interested in you using the GM truck as a hotspot.
I have a 2018 Silverado 2500HD Duramax. When I bought it, the dealer said the truck has to be running (or at least ignition on) to use the trucks's hotspot. Since he was trying to sell the package, I assumed his report was accurate.
So, what's the truth: Can you use truck hotspot without ignition in the on position?
THX
PC Conner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 03:38 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Not in my Silverado. Gotta have ignition on to power it. Great for driving, not so useful in the campground.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 05:35 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Williamson County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PC Conner View Post
I have a 2018 Silverado 2500HD Duramax. When I bought it, the dealer said the truck has to be running (or at least ignition on) to use the trucks's hotspot. Since he was trying to sell the package, I assumed his report was accurate.
So, what's the truth: Can you use truck hotspot without ignition in the on position?
THX
For use in AS while parked.
On to first position with key (take FOB with you of course).
Press and hold radio/display button until display shuts down (saves battery)
Turn headlight switch CCW and release to shut off parking lights.
Buzzer will be on but will go off when you shut door.
Lock with FOB.
Mine lasts about 8 hours before I receive a "low battery" text.
SYC2Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 06:38 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
townsend , Tennessee
You have to love to hate RV data plans.

Airstream needs to step up to the plate here and provide a better system. As noted, the Pepwave router is a substandard piece of equipment. The fully integrated system also leaves a lot to be desired. P.S. I understand that Airstream plans to charge an annual fee for their connect services?

It seems that Airstream should adopt the same approach as the Class A market, i.e., provide the hardware in an open format and let the user decide what provider they want to use. Locking the user into specific plans/providers puts the user in a position where he/she cannot leverage competition without a significant investment in new/different hardware.

We did buy the unlimited plan in November. Hopefully it works through next November. I am concerned about the possibility of AT&T cancelling for non usage, as like most, we are not full time and our Classic may sit unused for 2-3 months at a time.

By the way, I still have not received my rebate from Airstream.

I think was a good idea that has been poorly executed.

Hope everyone ends up with a good experience somehow.

Bryon
BryonJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 06:40 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
townsend , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by PC Conner View Post
THX
Ignition in the on position. The GM plan is just another hot spot. You're better off getting a jet-pack from Verizon.
Old 12-23-2019, 09:29 AM   #26
SHE SHED

2019 30' Classic
Brooklyn , New York
I still have not seen any updates on my credit card or the AT&T web site for me to determine if my plan is extended from my last day of service, or it starts all over from the date of the purchase. I did receive an email confirming my purchase on 12/20/2019. It does state this purchased plan will becom active on the end of my last Domestic plan Eastern Time. It seems like an extension from the verbage, but I will not be 100% positive until I see it on the AT&T web site. I have attached the email receipt. In my case if it's for 1 year I am still ahead. My data usage averages out to 66GB a month, we use Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Iheart radio, plus I have Temp Stik(tempstik.com) continually transmitting the internal temperature of my AS to my phone. If I were to use the 100GB a month for $325 plan would be cost prohibitive. This will give me 12 months to figure out what to do next.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ATT Domestic Data Plan Purchased-150dpi.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	404.7 KB
ID:	358103  
trikdacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 05:03 PM   #27
Randy

2017 28' Flying Cloud
Bergen , New York
I reach out to Justin Humphreys, COO at Airstream about the changes in the plan and what options we may have.

Justin Humphreys : “We were very disappointed in the AT&T plan changes. However, when AT&T shared with us the usage numbers, we could see why they had to make the change. It appears the early adopters were super users as AT&T shared how much data was being streamed and we were certainly surprised. We made the case that the early adopters would be heavier users than the next wave of consumers, but we are a small fish in a great big tech world.”

I asked him if Airstream would unlock the system to allow users to subscribe to different plans or carriers.

Justin Humphreys: “Our system is not locked to AT&T. We have users now on Verizon because their seasonal camping spot did not have AT&T service. The tech details on how to make it happen are not something I am fluent on, but our folks could help walk you through what you need to do to change when and if that time would come.”

He also asked me to share the following.

Justin Humphreys: “Please remind them Airstream has an exclusive deal with them that we recommend, but customers can opt for a different provider once they have they have the Connected kit installed. The hardware is NOT completely tied to the service provider.”

We all knew that the pricing from AT&T was subject to change when we purchased the system, and that we hoped that AT&T would “Grandfather” existing customers for the foreseeable future. Sadly that not the case.

It good to know we are not locked in to AT&T plan and can shop around for something that will fit our budgets. Sadly I don’t think we will see a $30 unlimited plan again.
ZephyrTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 05:05 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Williamson County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryonJ View Post
Ignition in the on position. The GM plan is just another hot spot. You're better off getting a jet-pack from Verizon.
You would think so, but my GM AT&T plan ($20/month unlimited data) works far better than my JetPack(s) ever did. For unknown reason my iPhone hotspot with Verizon plan also works better than JetPack. Good for you if you have better results but I am quite happy with the GM plan so far.
SYC2Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 07:26 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Land Yacht
Chapel Hill , North Carolina
Does your truck hotspot have a SIM card? If so, can you pop it out and try it in the airstream router?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYC2Vette View Post
You would think so, but my GM AT&T plan ($20/month unlimited data) works far better than my JetPack(s) ever did. For unknown reason my iPhone hotspot with Verizon plan also works better than JetPack. Good for you if you have better results but I am quite happy with the GM plan so far.
HappyHapgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 04:41 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
townsend , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZephyrTravel View Post
I reach out to Justin Humphreys, COO at Airstream about the changes in the plan and what options we may have.

Justin Humphreys : “We were very disappointed in the AT&T plan changes. However, when AT&T shared with us the usage numbers, we could see why they had to make the change. It appears the early adopters were super users as AT&T shared how much data was being streamed and we were certainly surprised. We made the case that the early adopters would be heavier users than the next wave of consumers, but we are a small fish in a great big tech world.”

I asked him if Airstream would unlock the system to allow users to subscribe to different plans or carriers.

Justin Humphreys: “Our system is not locked to AT&T. We have users now on Verizon because their seasonal camping spot did not have AT&T service. The tech details on how to make it happen are not something I am fluent on, but our folks could help walk you through what you need to do to change when and if that time would come.”

He also asked me to share the following.

Justin Humphreys: “Please remind them Airstream has an exclusive deal with them that we recommend, but customers can opt for a different provider once they have they have the Connected kit installed. The hardware is NOT completely tied to the service provider.”

We all knew that the pricing from AT&T was subject to change when we purchased the system, and that we hoped that AT&T would “Grandfather” existing customers for the foreseeable future. Sadly that not the case.

It good to know we are not locked in to AT&T plan and can shop around for something that will fit our budgets. Sadly I don’t think we will see a $30 unlimited plan again.
Thanks for posting. Mr. Humphrey's should post this on their website.

HOWEVER, I'm not sure I buy all of the explanation. The AT&T Unlimited RV plan has been around for a few years. David Bott (Class A Full-Timer with a huge You-Tube following) has been promoting their plan for a couple of years using the ToGo set-up offered through Winegard. Given that, it seems highly unlikely that the amount of usage was a surprise. Of course people are using the data to stream - it's clearly a lot better option than satellite, especially for travel trailers.

The good news is that the Airstream hardware set-up sounds like it is open - Great. How about posting some information to help owners better navigate the set-up. The existing instructions are pretty poor.

Again, thanks for posting and please keep improving and sharing information.

Bryon
Old 12-24-2019, 04:45 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
townsend , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYC2Vette View Post
Glad your GM hotspot is working out for you. I did have it once, but just found that for us it was not practical the way we use it.

I misspoke when I said, "jetpack." We actually just use our phones for a hotspot. We each of 15 GB of unthrottled data, which generally is enough. If we find we need more, we will likely end up putting a different SIM card in the antenna and get a pay as you go plan.

You have to admit that AT&T plan was too good to be true.
Old 12-24-2019, 04:56 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
townsend , Tennessee
Airstream Official Notice

Looks like Airstream has made an official post:

https://www.airstream.com/blog/an-up...tt-data-plans/
Old 12-24-2019, 08:42 AM   #33
SHE SHED

2019 30' Classic
Brooklyn , New York
Superuser ???

Superuser??? C'mon 2GB a day does not denote a superuser. Does AT&T think Airstream owners are a bunch of nimrods who can only light campfires, and empty dump tanks? A single streaming movie is 2GB. Once you add in streaming radio, Ipads, Tablets, Emergency weather bands, HULU live TV and WiFi calling it adds up, not to mention if you have children along who love their gadgets. It is not like we're running email servers on our trailers. My Ford F350 has an AT&T plan that is unlimited for $240 a year, but it is throttled. I did attempt to extend my existing AT&T plan, my credit card was charged, and accepted as payment, but my AT&T plan is still pending. Attached is my plan showing that in 115 days we used 387.37GB of data. So that's approximatley 2.5GB of data per day. It's not that we're watching a movie every day, but if it is pouring outside you can be sure we will watch two. This is not a Superuser, it's modern life. In my pre-retired life I was an systems engineer, network engineer, IT Director, and CIO. To say Airstreamers that use their systems as intended are Superusers is quite an uniformed blame the victim statement.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Customer Overview_Page_1.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	358145  
trikdacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 09:27 AM   #34
1 Rivet Member

Corunna , Ontario
We got away from AT&T 20 years ago for the same reason. Apparently they are still providing a great service for taking your money and but never allow easy cancellation or service if any kind.
Maggsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 11:09 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

North Fayston , Vermont
Use your credit card

Use your credit card to pay for plans and then it they don't deliver, contest the charge. I got results with another company who just gave me a run around. Of course you need to documentation and have a time limit. Make them work for "stolen money". Depending on how much time, money, and aggravation you want you could take them to small claims court. Then there is the old saying "live and learn and move on."
northfayston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 11:23 AM   #36
1 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Park City , Utah
I switched to a month to month prepaid plan

Frog Lips,

If you charged your prepaid plan to your credit card, why don't you register a dispute with them. It' will certainly get AT&T's attention and you will get the credit on your statement right away while the credit card company sends the complaint to AT&T. You certainly have a claim for failure to provide the service.

We got tired of both AT&T & Verizon because it is nearly impossible to get any customer service on the phone or get any accommodations when they make a mistake.

We currently us Total Wireless, a virtual mobile provider that rides on the Verizon network. We get the same coverage that we used to get from Verizon with out any of the hassles and we manage our account online.

The best part is that we do not have any contracts and can just cancel at any time. 2-phones with 20GB of data costs $60.00 per month and you get a 5% discount if you go with auto pay.

There are quite a number of providers out there that ride on all of the major networks, so you can have the choice the network that provides the best coverage in your area.

Good Luck

Larry
finchbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 11:49 AM   #37
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
2017 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Ojai , CA
Send a message via ICQ to SilverPal2
I also suggest looking OTR mobile $60/month for unlimited data, however it rides on the AT&T network so who knows what may happen
Accredited Appraisal Firm www.PolkAssociates-LLC.com
SilverPal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 12:23 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Vero Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechampion View Post
Here is one of the FAQs:

What does this mean for me? AT&T’s Unlimited Adventure Plans activated or renewed before January 16, 2020, will be valid until the one-year anniversary of their activation. Once the 12-month term ends, customers will have the opportunity to purchase currently available data plans from AT&T.

So . . . I just got onto the AT&T website and prepaid for another year of unlimited data plan which will kick-in after my existing unlimited plan expires. Because I renewed before the January 16, 2020 cutoff, I still was able to take advantage of the existing $360 unlimited data plan.

Bottom line, if you want to continue having unlimited data (for another year after your existing unlimited plan expires), renew before January 16, 2020.
I did the same and feel all set for one more year. Then what? I hope Airstream works out another deal in the meantime.
I apacknowledge the other responders who tried to call at&t. I tried that first and realized they had no idea of the unlimited plan and could not help. We also could not understand each other because of the language barrier. I spoke English.
WorkBGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 05:34 PM   #39
1 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
Box Elder , South Dakota
I also went ahead (our current prepaid plan doesn't end until the end of january). I paid for another year on Dec. 25th. Like the screenshot above, it shows as pending even though they have already processed the payment.

I did call ATT to make sure the PENDING plan will continue when the current ACTIVE expires. It took 5 transfers to get to some to finally confirm that.

I started by calling the 1-800-331-0500 number listed right on the website (see screenshot above for that too). The initial rep, after putting me on hold, couldn't help me and said I had to call their Connect group at 1-866-595-1334.

The Connect group handles ATT services for vehicles and such. They told me, again after awhile on hold, told me they couldn't help me because it was a "Prepaid Plan" and they don't handle that. So they transferred me to the Prepaid group.

The Prepaid group, again after being on hold, told me they couldn't help me either because they don't handle these type of plans. The transferred me to the Loyalty group.

The Loyalty group, again on hold, told me they don't see annual plans, just monthly ones so they couldn't help me and would have to transfer me to the Tech Support group who can see all the plans.

The Tech Support group was finally able to see the account and the right plan. They (Alfrado) did confirm that when the current Active plan expires that the Pending plan will become active and I will have no disruption in service.

I don't know if I trust all this but I do have my fingers crossed in hopes I will get one more year of true unlimited data service.
spotted_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 07:46 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by spotted_dog View Post
I also went ahead (our current prepaid plan doesn't end until the end of january). I paid for another year on Dec. 25th. Like the screenshot above, it shows as pending even though they have already processed the payment.

I did call ATT to make sure the PENDING plan will continue when the current ACTIVE expires. It took 5 transfers to get to some to finally confirm that.

I started by calling the 1-800-331-0500 number listed right on the website (see screenshot above for that too). The initial rep, after putting me on hold, couldn't help me and said I had to call their Connect group at 1-866-595-1334.

The Connect group handles ATT services for vehicles and such. They told me, again after awhile on hold, told me they couldn't help me because it was a "Prepaid Plan" and they don't handle that. So they transferred me to the Prepaid group.

The Prepaid group, again after being on hold, told me they couldn't help me either because they don't handle these type of plans. The transferred me to the Loyalty group.

The Loyalty group, again on hold, told me they don't see annual plans, just monthly ones so they couldn't help me and would have to transfer me to the Tech Support group who can see all the plans.

The Tech Support group was finally able to see the account and the right plan. They (Alfrado) did confirm that when the current Active plan expires that the Pending plan will become active and I will have no disruption in service.

I don't know if I trust all this but I do have my fingers crossed in hopes I will get one more year of true unlimited data service.

Wow, now THAT is quality customer service and support. They really don’t mind you talking to all those people and waisting their time do they? I mean, you have 5 new friends now!

Sarcasm obviously... thanks for your tenacity!