Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2020, 11:37 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Belleville , Illinois
AT&T cut me off; looking for alternatives

2019 Classic 30' owner.
It happened. My unlimited data plan ended yesterday. I was warned.
The new plans do not offer unlimited data so I am seeking alternatives.
Has anyone purchased a SIM card that fits into and works with the Peplink from an alternate carrier such as Verizon? Or any other alternatives?
A mobile hotspot from Verizon looks attractive for internet but I would like to use the existing technology in the AS to monitor and control the lights etc. And I would like to take advantage of the buit-in booster for Internet.
I am starting a new thread on this since the last one is dated December 2019 and I suspect I am not alone in this boat.

Any advice is appreciated.
Presitla99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 11:42 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
as suggested in another post, go to RVMobileInternet.com and you will get all the info you need...and more.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 12:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
I was going to suggest the same thing.

Chris and Cherie of Technomadia have made it a business and will likely have lots of information on their website that can point you in some good directions.

in addition to all the other good information you will receive here. Good luck

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 12:07 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' International
Whereweparkit , Anywhere
As someone living and working full time out of his AS I can tell you the options aren't great.

If you really need a lot of data the only viable option is to get one of the 3rd party "leased" plans. People have basically bought up old true unlimited plans and are renting them out to users on a monthly basis.

Unfortunately as of a couple weeks ago if you go over 400GB in a month AT&T cuts the plan off, and all of the current resellers require you to pay for a new plan with them if that happens.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I don't cross that line in the middle of a work day.

Full-timing it in a 2020 International Serenity 30RB!
https://AdventureToaster.com
TV: 2020 Ram 2500 Limited CCSB Hemi
AdvToaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 09:29 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
Consumer Cellular....no contract. Unlimited
Lensman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 09:31 AM   #6
Coast to Coast

2016 26' Flying Cloud
St. Augustine , Florida
Same thing happened to us.
Two Peas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 09:53 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Plenty of other threads/posts on AT&T's Terminator move:

https://www.google.com/search?q=AT%2...=airforums.com

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f45...ns-203859.html
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f54...es-203865.html

Let the music lift you up . . .
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 10:17 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The US Distributor for PepLink equipment is 5GStore.com. (1-833-547-8673)

I have their Pepwave MAX BR1 Classic Router with Cat 6 LTE Advanced Modem Hardware Revision 2 that cost $549. It has one WAN ethernet port and two LAN ethernet ports. It comes with a wall wart (transformer) or can be wired to a 12Vdc source in the trailer. It will support Verizon, AT&T and others.

I have permanently mounted a Wilson 4G antenna (no longer available) attached to the top the refrigerator vent and brought the lead into the roof locker beside the refrigerator where I had also wired both a 12Vdc cigarette socket and a 120Vac duplex power outlet. I did similar wiring in our 23D so can move the Peplink between the two coaches without playing Mommy may I..

I had a Verizon MiFi that I reused the number and got a new "2FFF" sized SIM card. The Peplink now is on our Unlimted plan and the charge with my military discount is about $17.99 with the usual fees and taxes. That allows for 15GB before a possible speed reduction to 600Kbs depending on the local cell tower congestion. 600Kbs allows for streaming... and Verizon has the best total USA coverage of the lot, especially in the rural areas.

The hoopla over 5G is years away before anyone in the countryside will see those speeds.

I even acquired a more sophisticated Peplink unit with one WAN and four LAN ethernet ports that will replace the $65 per month AT&T DSL modem at my Condo in Indiana at the same monthly rate as the first Peplink detailed above.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 11:19 AM   #9
Airstream Trippin

2020 33' Classic
Livingston , Texas
I recently exhausted my 100gb that I purchased with my new Airstream two months ago. I contacted AT&T and purchased 50gb a month plan which is un-throttled so far. I have a Mofi 4500 with a Naggie Directional antenna but I haven’t set it up yet because the Pepwave system in my 2020 Classic 33 is KICKIN ASS keeping us connected allowing Us to stream whatever I want and also allowing me to connect to park WiFi when there is strong RV PARK WiFi. Learn to use all resources available before you spend your money. Google research and read. Determine exactly how much data you burn in a month and purchase a plan commensurate with your data usage.
Gigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 12:03 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Newcastle , Oklahoma
Not sure of your age but T-Mobile has a senior plan. two phones with unlimited talk text and data, and you can tether off your phone for $70.
Old 06-23-2020, 12:09 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lensman View Post
Consumer Cellular....no contract. Unlimited
Data for use with your phone apps is different than data used for a hot spot or internet connection.
I have unlimited data, and I keep getting texts from Verizon saying they've added 15 gig of data. They saw I once used my phone as a hot spot.
I've looked into a jetpack, but the cost is just too high to diddle around on the internet.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 07:02 PM   #12

2019 30' Classic
Kearney , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Presitla99 View Post
2019 Classic 30' owner.
It happened. My unlimited data plan ended yesterday. I was warned.
The new plans do not offer unlimited data so I am seeking alternatives.
Has anyone purchased a SIM card that fits into and works with the Peplink from an alternate carrier such as Verizon? Or any other alternatives?
A mobile hotspot from Verizon looks attractive for internet but I would like to use the existing technology in the AS to monitor and control the lights etc. And I would like to take advantage of the buit-in booster for Internet.
I am starting a new thread on this since the last one is dated December 2019 and I suspect I am not alone in this boat.

Any advice is appreciated.
Iím in the same situation, and I paid for an additional year up front. Have spent hours on the phone with those AT&T off shore reps with nothing. Iím not so sure what they did was legal, and that we existing customers shouldnít have been grandfathered in. One of my friends has an unlimited data plan no longer available that he is grandfathered into. Any lawyers in this group??
FigNewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 01:04 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by FigNewton View Post
Iím in the same situation, and I paid for an additional year up front. Have spent hours on the phone with those AT&T off shore reps with nothing. Iím not so sure what they did was legal, and that we existing customers shouldnít have been grandfathered in. One of my friends has an unlimited data plan no longer available that he is grandfathered into. Any lawyers in this group??
What they did is legal. What you bought is a pre-paid one year plan, not a reoccurring plan. They can cancel the plan whenever they want as long as they honor what you bought. In order to have multi-year capability, you either had to buy it year-to-year when they offered it, or purchase multiple years on the same simcard. I did the latter. I bought 4 years and had to pay for them up front (>$1000 total) and they did stack on the account. When the first year expire, they rolled over to the next year automatically. That gives me 4 years to find another alternative.

What they were selling was unsustainable. Some of us used it as they thought it would be used, but some of us used it with the "unlimited" in mind and they would be driven into bankruptcy if they didn't cancel it.

The plans referenced in the posts above are also unsustainable, but the cell companies sold them as an automatically renewing plan so they have to honor them. If they cancel those plans, there might be a strong legal case.

massive streaming was not what they had in mind when they invented the "unlimited" plans.
Ephraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 04:27 PM   #14
Rivet Master

42į 2' 27" N / 74į 7' 6" W , US
Automatically renewable as long as they offer the plan, probably buried in their contract. You know the one that has 5000 words to the inch of text.
Silvr_Bullet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 10:18 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Nashville , Tennessee
Dump all the "'Voice" type of Cellular service providers such as your local retail Verizon and ATT stores.

IF you will be camping in locations with a decent cellular signal look for a provider that offers DATA ONLY type of cellular internet service. These companies are usually smaller companies who buy data only cell service from the big cellular companies and resell the this data only service.

They typically provide unlimited none throttled internet service through a cellular modem. Cost can range from $70-$90/month.

I use this type of system at out lake home with has no wired internet service available. Works fantastic! I can also take the modem with me and use camping or traveling when needed and where cell service is available.

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 10:46 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Cincinnati , Ohio
Dish for TV and internet for all else and - skip the streaming as itís a data hog. Not to mention, good data signals are too iffy and back haul congestion seems to be a constant. Iíve opted to download content in advance that I want to watch later.
jwpaquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 11:22 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I'm thinking a Jetpack and a MIMO antenna for the window.
I don't have any idea how much data to plan for. Let's say an hour or two on the computer, and maybe a streaming movie every couple days. How much data is that? I'd guess more than 1 gig. but less than 20 gig?
I've tried using my phone as a hotspot, but the cell service is not good inside the Airstream, and I still pay data rates.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 12:48 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2010 28' International
St. Louis , Missouri
I just ordered a modem and unlimited service from unlimitedville.com The service is allegedly totally unlimited (up to 500gb) for $200 for the AT&T service. I will be testing it out this week and will report back.
kzimarik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 07:22 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Livingston , Texas
I was going to contract with Sprint which offered 100Gb unlimited 4g for $60/month. But low and behold 1.) They said they did not support the SIM card, 2) I couldnonly get that monthly number if I already had a phone with them. Otherwise the cost would be $50 higher per month.

We are currently usimg FMCA Sprint MiFi 50 Gb unlimited 4g for $50/month, throttled after 50 Gb is needed. But it is a wifi setup where the Pepwave grabs it and then can used by Pepwave which isn't the normal way to use system. Basically the pepwave just communicates the camper system out thought AT&T contract with Airstream. I am sure that will go away someday too.
We are happy to have connectivity to coach for pups safety. But other than that we don't see a lot of advatage to the smart coach. Just my opinion. The app is very limited in controls as far as I see. Also since no Alde connection this lowers the rating of the smart technology system.
It has potential but slow in coming in a smart consumer way. It's like owning apple and waiting every two years for the next upgraded phone only to realize if they built everything into the phone that makes sense for today they would never sell another phone in the future.
Planned Obsolescence!
Karen-Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 07:46 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Morristown , Tennessee
Unlimitedville.com
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote