Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2019, 11:36 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Johns Creek , Georgia
Anyone with 2017 - 2019 Classic black Corian issues?

We are considering purchasing a 2019 Classic 33 later this year and are trying to decide on the decide choices. For the countertops we like the look of the black corian countertops the best, but a couple of others on this site have warned about more visible scratches, dust, swirls, etc. Any owners out there with these issues? If so, how bad is it and would you choose that over the lighter countertop color again?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or experience to share.
Jhess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 01:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Anyone with 2017 - 2019 Classic black Corian issues?

Thatís the only thing I have heard. I have the white tops and love them. Just wish we could have had dark wood, light seats, and white counter top as an option.

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 06:44 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Johns Creek , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSxyWhtGuy View Post
Thatís the only thing I have heard. I have the white tops and love them. Just wish we could have had dark wood, light seats, and white counter top as an option.

Thanks. What combination did you get? I think someone else in these forums did order a non-standard decor combination, but not sure if it was the one you describe.
Old 01-08-2019, 06:55 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Cave Creek , Arizona
Quote:

Thatís exactly how we ordered ours - white counters, Mocha cherry wood, and Macedonia ultra leather- not on the brochure but getting that combo was not a problem
Pete B55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 07:44 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Thatís exactly what we did. Of course then you have to order and wait 2-4 months vs buying off the lot. But that color combo goes nice. Hereís a pick of our Ď19 33 twin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8AE1160E-0FCC-4DA4-88CB-9B8EA1980D65.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	292.1 KB
ID:	331391  
trepine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 07:49 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
There is a thread where they also discuss the black counters some. Sheet is a link to the relevant part of that discussion.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f540...-187275-6.html
Old 01-08-2019, 08:05 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Johns Creek , Georgia
Thanks. The link takes me to something that is not a discussion. Just some generic Ralph Lauren page.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:28 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhess View Post
Thanks. The link takes me to something that is not a discussion. Just some generic Ralph Lauren page.
Hmm, it works for me. But you can find it in the thread under current classics / flight of the air dreamers page 6
Old 01-08-2019, 09:03 PM   #9
VSM

2018 33' Classic
Knoxville , Tennessee
Quote:
We are considering purchasing a 2019 Classic 33 later this year and are trying to decide on the decide choices. For the countertops we like the look of the black corian countertops the best, but a couple of others on this site have warned about more visible scratches, dust, swirls, etc. Any owners out there with these issues? If so, how bad is it and would you choose that over the lighter countertop color again?

I haveíd had both colors of countertops. No issues with swirls. I do think the black showed scratches a little more. Also dust a little more, which maybe is a good thing. Lol. I prefer the look of the black and I would choose it again.
Vickitn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:59 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Johns Creek , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickitn View Post
I haveíd had both colors of countertops. No issues with swirls. I do think the black showed scratches a little more. Also dust a little more, which maybe is a good thing. Lol. I prefer the look of the black and I would choose it again.

Thank you for that feedback. Which color combination do you have now on your classic 33?
Old 01-09-2019, 09:25 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Grants Pass , Oregon
We have a 2017 30' Classic with black counter tops. Corian does scratch easier. I don't notice it as much as my wife. She says she would not get corian again. I on the other hand like the looks against the cherry wood cabinets.
Brad & Joan Anderson
Augianderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:29 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Johns Creek , Georgia
Thanks for that. We have a light shade of Corian in our stationery house and have no issues with it as far as bad scratches goes. I was more curious about how noticeable it is in black and if you would choose black again in the Classic over the lighter shade corian.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:33 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Tavares , Florida
Quote:

Hi Jhess,

We have the black corian countertops in our 2018 Classic 33 Twin..... and very much regret our decision to go with the black color.

As we all now know, corian scratches very easily..... and in our opinion (as well as 4 other owners with 2018 Classics that we've met), the scratches seem to 'stand out' much more with the black, rather than the light colored countertops.

Especially, if one of you are a supreme perfectionist, with acute 'attention to detail' in your DNA..... (you will always see it when you look at it) we try to hide it (and now protect) the counters with cutting boards, placemats and table runners).

For us, we had wanted the lightest colored wood offered on the cabinets and the cream-colored leather on our couch and dinette booth..... and as such, black counters were the only listed countertop color with those other selections.

However, we ordered our Airstream at an RV show and there was an Airstream Rep there, walking around answering questions and assisting the sales team with 'closing a sale' when possible. In the process of us finally committing to purchasing our Classic 33, the Airstream Rep offered to special order the light colored countertops with the light wood cabinets & the cream colored leather.....

But in the end, we feared it might be too much, having absolutely no contrast at all, with light-colored everything..... so we did not take him up on his offer.

If we could have that decision back, we would definitely go with the light colored corian.

In fact, when we sometimes talk about getting a new Classic in a couple more years, that is one of the items on our 'Pro/Con List' to fix and do differently next time around.

Good luck with your decision(s).

Cheers.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:46 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Medway , Massachusetts
Quote:

We have a 2018 33' Classic with the dark cabinets, light leather and black corona. The dark cabinets do look "richer" than the light ones and never fails to impress. The dealer recommended the light leather instead of the darker brown because the latter starts showing hand and body oils which leave shadows or stains that can not be removed. We see none of that in the light leather and I think it stays cleaner looking longer than darker colors. We DESPISE the black corion more so that we had feared. It shows everything, every dust speck, salt crystal and regardless of the care used, sliding a piece of paper cross it will leave a visible swirl type mark. I explore spending the money to swap them for the newer light/darker brown mottled corion.
MAHofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:59 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Huntley , Illinois
Our black corian lond great but definitely see the scratches. I think they occur at the factory. They do not protect the surfaces. Bummer
cegardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 11:27 AM   #16
PCJ
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
Having manufactured solid surface counters for my job, I don't suggest it for all the reasons you mentioned, but even just wipe them with a wet dishrag unless you use a towel to wipe them dry they look bad.
PCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 06:02 PM   #17

2016 30' Classic
Houston , Texas
We have the black counters in our 2016 30' classic. We love it. Looks very elegant with the dark cabinets and the beige seating. You will love it too.
Nathan0606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 06:46 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Johns Creek , Georgia
Oh my goodness we are so conflicted. Thank you to all for honest feedback. We really prefer the look of the black corian, and the light corian just looks a little country and like it will soon become dated looking if you donít already consider it dated. Maybe by the time weíre ready to order Airstream will have wised up with the 2020 models and offer something else like a dark gray or a matte finish black. I suspect the high gloss is part of the problem with the scratches.

It is amazing though how different people can have such different experience and opinions about the same exact product though.
Old 01-09-2019, 06:54 PM   #19
VSM

2018 33' Classic
Knoxville , Tennessee
Quote:
Thank you for that feedback. Which color combination do you have now on your classic 33?

Black, cherry and macadamia
Vickitn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 07:03 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
We felt the same way about the light wood, that it had too much of a country feel to it. But, never thought that of the light counters. We also though the dark counters looked more dated.

It’s really funny to hear different peoples perspectives, and how we can all feel exactly opposite. At the end of the day all that matters is that you like it