Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-10-2019, 03:53 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
I did our 2013 31’ Classic...3” lift...really like it , been to Nova Scotia, to the west coast...

I installed the Dexter Lift kit on my 2018 Classic 33. The install was not easy, but came out very well and it tows fine. The kit has friction bolts that take a lot of torque to turn. Therefore, I would not recommend attempting the job without an impact wrench. Also, there is adequate clearance for the brackets. The fresh water tank does not interfere with the brackets themselves, but sometimes you have to get creative when positioning the backup wrench inside the frame channels. The job took about 8 hours. Here are some pictures. (I hope.)Click image for larger version

Name:	57651160596__E6710B0A-6170-4632-9346-209050CF0C70.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	490.2 KB
ID:	337847Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0171.JPG
Views:	195
Size:	451.0 KB
ID:	337848Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0173.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	494.2 KB
ID:	337849Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0181.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	398.5 KB
ID:	337850Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0179.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	447.0 KB
ID:	337851Attachment 1Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0182.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	622.0 KB
ID:	337852

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 10, 2019, at 7:04 AM, Airstream Forums <support@airforums.com> wrote:

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL!

Dear jrkott,

You have received a new private message at Airstream Forums from JDG, entitled "Re: Lift kit".

To read the original version, respond to, or delete this message, you must log in here:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/private.php

This is the message that was sent:

---Quote (Originally by jrkott)---
---Quote (Originally by JDG)---
Just wondering if you installed the lift kit and if so looking for any feed back. I also have a 2018 33 classic and was considering lifting it.

Jerry
---End Quote---
Not yet, but I recently retired and have some mechanical engineer buddies that have volunteered to help me install it sometime in April.
---End Quote---

Jrkott,

Congrats on the retirement. I am going on my fourth year and love it! Please give me an update once you get the kit installed and how it handles. I have had a couple of spots in state parks I could not get into because of ground clearance backing into them.

P.S. My son is a Mechanical Engineer and I have been trying to get him to come up with a self-leveling system for the 33 Classic but he doesn't seem to be interested. Oh well. Thanks again.

Jerry
---End Quote---
On the self leveling concept, I am an attorney not an engineer, but I have restored several cars. I wonder if you could swap out the shocks for air shocks that have separate compressor for each side.
---End Quote---

Jrkott

Not sure about the air shocks but it is an interesting idea. I keep waiting for Airstream to come up with something. Good luck with the lift kit install. I will be anxiously waiting to hear how it goes. Also, I hope you enjoy your retirement. Thanks

Jerry.
---End Quote---

My buddy is meeting me at the ranch tomorrow to do the lift kit project in our barn over the next few days. I will try to send pictures of the process if I can figure out how to upload. I am an old wrench guy and struggle with this social media stuff.
---End Quote---

I hope it all goes well for you. Thanks for the response and I am curious of how it does after the install. Getting mine out today to dewinterize as we are heading out for the first trip of the season.

Jerry

Again, please do not reply to this email. You must go to the following page to reply to this private message:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/private.php

All the best,
Airstream Forums
jrkott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 08:39 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

[QUOTE=jrkott;2229758]I installed the Dexter Lift kit on my 2018 Classic 33. The install was not easy, but came out very well and it tows fine. The kit has friction bolts that take a lot of torque to turn. Therefore, I would not recommend attempting the job without an impact wrench. Also, there is adequate clearance for the brackets. The fresh water tank does not interfere with the brackets themselves, but sometimes you have to get creative when positioning the backup wrench inside the frame channels. The job took about 8 hours. Here are some pictures. (I hope.)Attachment 337847Attachment 337848Attachment 337849Attachment 337850Attachment 337851Attachment 1[ATTACH]337852[/ATTACH

Additional notes for 2018 Classic 33 FB owners. The Classic 33 FB propane lines are all forward of the axles so you don’t have to modify them to install the lift kit.

My electric brake wires had plenty of length to accommodate the lift kit.

Safety suggestions for installing the Dexter lift kit. The Classic 33 FB is big, but regardless of any model, I recommend that when installing a lift kit you should leave it hitched to your tow vehicle and engage the parking brake to keep it stable and avoid lateral movement. I would not rely on suspending your trailer on just the hitch jack and other floor jacks or jack stands. Your tow vehicle is much more stable than a hitch jack pole.

Also, after jack lifting from and placing jack-stands under the frame jack points near the axles, I also placed jack-stands under the clearly marked jack points at the rear of the trailer as backup safety in case any other jacks or jack-stands failed.

Last reminder. After removing the wheels for this job, don’t forget to follow the Airstream manual protocol for torquing your lug nuts.
Old 09-26-2019, 09:45 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Onekama , Michigan
JC Quoting Lift Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
My Dexter lift is being installed on my 30” international on Monday. Timeless Travel trailers in Denver are doing the work for me in their shop - 6 hours labor.

Swapped out the shank on my equalizer to raise the ball 3” to accommodate the lift.

Pictures to follow of the lifted rig - no more dragging the rear end over the smallest undulations in parking lots!
Hi wulfraat: I've enjoyed reading many of your posts. I'm interested in your opinion on the following.

Background: I'm interested in the lift kit but only want it if JC installs it.

Why?

My 30 FC twin was delivered on 11/2 last year. I am taking it back to JC in early November for my current warranty tick list. Earlier this year I had JC add the Airstream internet package. I've been very happy with their ATT internet package and I won't have warranty denial issues because I used aftermarket parts or installers.

I do have an ongoing electrical issue (can't hook up to pedastals or any shore power without tripping pedastal (shore power)circuit breakers when the inverter circuit on.

So I turn off the Inverter circuit breaker, and hook up to shore power. Then I turn on the inverter (wall button) to use the inverter circuit (tv) which runs off of battery. While on shore power all circuits except inverter circuit run of short power except the inverter circuit which runs off of batter. (With shore power constantly charging the battery to offset the draw from the inverter.) JC has agreed that's workable until they can figure out the problem.

I know TMI! And what the hell does that have to do with a lift kit? It's just background to emphasize that whatever I do in the first three years, I'd like to have it done by JC so that I don't void/jeopardize warranty.

About the lift kit: JC will install a 2.5" lift kit for $540 plus the kit which they estimate at $70. That seems very fair and I intend to go forward. I want the ability to do some knarly boondocking in the future and today I've got a driveway off a sloped gravel road. Both are incredibly narrow and I've already done damage to the the back bumper. So the lift kit will serve my needs now, every time I return home. And I will feel more comfortable as I get into boondocking. (BTW I do disconnect the WD hitch when I get home to drop the tongue and raise the back end, but it's still not enough.)

Why am I putting you through all of this TMI?
1. Driveability
2. Other learnings since having it done.

I'm now in Madison WI heading back to Michigan after a great trout fishing scouting trip to the Madison river in MT. A wonderful discovery! This unit is such a joy to trailer behind my 2500 Cummings Ram. I want the clearance but will do without if there is any negative impact on driveability. I can deal with the driveway as it, and I only hope to do boondocking. But in my first year, I've dragged it 10,000 miles. I can't compromise the driving aspect for otherwise manageable issues.

I think it's been a couple of years for you since doing the lift kit, if I'm reading right. As you look back would you do it again? What are the concrete positives that I've not thought about? What are the negatives? Be detailed if you can.

Thanks for reading and taking time to consider.

Bick
bickp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 10:05 PM   #24
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Anyone Installed Lift Kit On A 2018 Classic 33FB?

Hey Bick. I would absolutely 100% do it again without question. No impact on drivability whatsoever. You’d never know it was lifted from a towing dynamics perspective. Center of mass is still very low especially with dropped tanks in the newer models. I typically tow with a full or near full fresh water tank.

No more dragging the rear bumper and better ground clearance for the fresh/grey/black water tanks and WB bars on my new propride hitch is a huge plus. Also makes draining waste tanks a little easier in certain circumstances. Lower step is now the appropriate height off the ground too. The trailer looks more balanced as well given its length.

Note that the dexter kit #11 for the 4,400 lb axles on your FC30 is 2 7/8” lift. It’s bolt on. I would insist on using the dexter kit, which costs about $200 for the parts. Here is the kit you need for the 30’ FC (same axles as my 30’ international):

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...71-724-02.html

For the 30’ models they should come from the factory with the lift already installed IMO. There is only upside to installing. $540 is a good price for the labor - I paid $600 - worth every penny. It’s a serious PITA to get at some of the bolts on the 30’ given the tank placements. Timeless had to weld tabs onto a few nuts so they wouldn’t turn as getting a wrench in there was not possible.

Regarding your electrical issue. Yikes - certainly sounds like either the breaker wiring or transfer switch wiring was reversed. That would be super bad. Post back when JC figure out what’s wrong.

Enjoy your lift.

PS - have fished Madison river in MT at 3 dollar bridge. It’s Awesome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0360.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	553.1 KB
ID:	353043   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0237.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	645.8 KB
ID:	353044  

wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 11:06 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Another advantage of lift kits is the added clearance to adjust to front to back elevation changes at campgrounds.
Old 09-27-2019, 02:53 PM   #26
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by bickp View Post
Hi wulfraat: I've enjoyed reading many of your posts. I'm interested in your opinion on the following.

Why?

My 30 FC twin was delivered on 11/2 last year. I am taking it back to JC in early November for my current warranty tick list. Earlier this year I had JC add the Airstream internet package. I've been very happy with their ATT internet package and I won't have warranty denial issues because I used aftermarket parts or installers.

I do have an ongoing electrical issue (can't hook up to pedastals or any shore power without tripping pedastal (shore power)circuit breakers when the inverter circuit on.

So I turn off the Inverter circuit breaker, and hook up to shore power. Then I turn on the inverter (wall button) to use the inverter circuit (tv) which runs off of battery. While on shore power all circuits except inverter circuit run of short power except the inverter circuit which runs off of batter. (With shore power constantly charging the battery to offset the draw from the inverter.) JC has agreed that's workable until they can figure out the problem.

I know TMI! And what the hell does that have to do with a lift kit? It's just background to emphasize that whatever I do in the first three years, I'd like to have it done by JC so that I don't void/jeopardize warranty.

About the lift kit: JC will install a 2.5" lift kit for $540 plus the kit which they estimate at $70. That seems very fair and I intend to go forward. I want the ability to do some knarly boondocking in the future and today I've got a driveway off a sloped gravel road. Both are incredibly narrow and I've already done damage to the the back bumper. So the lift kit will serve my needs now, every time I return home. And I will feel more comfortable as I get into boondocking. (BTW I do disconnect the WD hitch when I get home to drop the tongue and raise the back end, but it's still not enough.)

1. Driveability

I'm now in Madison WI heading back to Michigan after a great trout fishing scouting trip to the Madison river in MT. A wonderful discovery! This unit is such a joy to trailer behind my 2500 Cummings Ram. I want the clearance but will do without if there is any negative impact on driveability. I can deal with the driveway as it, and I only hope to do boondocking. But in my first year, I've dragged it 10,000 miles. I can't compromise the driving aspect for otherwise manageable issues.

I think it's been a couple of years for you since doing the lift kit, if I'm reading right. As you look back would you do it again? What are the concrete positives that I've not thought about? What are the negatives? Be detailed if you can.

Bick
Hi

Keep in mind that part of the lift kit process is adjusting the height of the ball on the back of your TV. I would make sure that you have that covered ( = either do it your self at JC or be sure they will do it.

Drove through the Madison River Bison Blockade this morning. Snow up in the mountains looks terrific this time of year.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 04:30 PM   #27
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
1999.. replaced 3 axles.. increased 'load' capacity and added 15 degrees down angle.. got about 3 inches of step rise.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 08:08 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Onekama , Michigan
Thanks everyone.

Sounds like I'm going to go for it. Thanks for the input.

wulfraat: Thanks for confirming the ride characteristics and you are right about the waste tanks. Had not thought about that. I use a 45 degree clear elbow at the AS connection and one of those slinky things. I always need to turn the 45 to the side. 2 7/8" would be an added bonus and may allow me to dump at home. Currently I'm just short of grade to the sewer cleanout which is just a tad uphill. How convenient would that be!

Also, thanks for the details on the lift Kit and the hints on the electrical.

jrkott: Good point, added benefit, thanks.

uncle_bob: Good catch. I had thought about it, but it's nice to have backup!.

Thanks all.

Bick

Yep it was a great trout stream and a beautiful part of the country. Have traveled for 43 years domestic and some international but had never been to the Dakotas, Wyoming or Montana. Spectacular, next year it will be a month.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1960.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	552.5 KB
ID:	353094  
bickp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 02:18 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:

Why?

1. Driveability

Bick
......the kit is more than $70..... I did mine myself, have traveled 30,000 miles now..no difference, except no dragging...do it
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 09:29 AM   #30
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:

Yep it was a great trout stream and a beautiful part of the country. Have traveled for 43 years domestic and some international but had never been to the Dakotas, Wyoming or Montana. Spectacular, next year it will be a month.
Hi

We're on month three in that part of the country. We could easily spend another three months and still just be scratching the surface ....

Bob
Old 10-03-2019, 02:14 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Livingston , Texas
Just Installed on My 2018 Classic 33FB

I just had the Dexter Lift kit installed on my 2018 Classic 33FB by Bretz RV in Missoula. The following is the info for my axles:

2 - #11 Torflex axles, 5000#
Airstream Part No. 410980-01
Serial Number: 121105623
Dexter Axle Configuration Number: 1589714
Dexter Lift Kit Number: K71-724-02

The Dexter kit has all the hardware for tandem axles, and provides 2-7/8” of lift. The kit prices I found varied from $148 at eTrailer to $210 directly from Dexter.

I towed yesterday from Rock Springs, WY to Vernal, UT down the east side of Flaming Gorge. Multiple 9% grades, 20 mph switchbacks, and a 40 mph crosswind. I can tell a slight difference in center of gravity, but it still is an easy and stable tow.

An amazing difference in ground clearance, and well worth the investment.
Aircats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 09:20 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Everywhere , Minnesota
I want to thank all of the people who replied to this thread. The information all of you provided is priceless. My wife and I are looking for our first trailer and had concerns about bumper drag and are now no longer limited in length by this concern as much as we were. Airforums is invaluable and a great and friendly environment for wisdom and experience. Thanks to all of you for sharing your years of experiences and knowledge.
We will be adding a lift to our trailer when purchased for the reasons listed by so many in this thread. Thank you.
Renascence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 02:25 PM   #33
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Anyone Installed Lift Kit On A 2018 Classic 33FB?

Good choice. The lift on my 30’ saved my butt today!! We went to an apple farm this morning with the kids while on a road trip to Kansas... turned out to be a bit of a backcountry adventure drive with the trailer in tow to include some steep transitions. Came within 1” of the skid plates dragging but did not bonk. Few!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0425.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	575.8 KB
ID:	354176  
Old 10-15-2019, 02:13 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Everywhere , Minnesota
Alignment?

I am curious if there is any change in axle alignment and subsequent tire wear that might be considered unusual after the lift was complete. I have seen the Dexter brackets and there appears to be some 'slop', a small difference in the bolt hole diameter and the actual bolt diameter, and wondered if any of you have had alignment and tire wear issues after the lift installation?
On a 27FB Flying Cloud with a Dexter lift there would then be sufficient room for 16" wheels and tires, I will also assume thereby providing an additional amount of lift and reduction in tail dragging.
I ask as a future first time owner. Thank you.
Old 10-15-2019, 02:54 PM   #35
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
I have had zero issues with alignment. This is a pretty rudimentary bolt-on bracket with very little room for adjustment - truly just drops the axle based on factory location of the mounting location.
Old 10-16-2019, 08:31 AM   #36
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renascence View Post
I am curious if there is any change in axle alignment and subsequent tire wear that might be considered unusual after the lift was complete. I have seen the Dexter brackets and there appears to be some 'slop', a small difference in the bolt hole diameter and the actual bolt diameter, and wondered if any of you have had alignment and tire wear issues after the lift installation?
On a 27FB Flying Cloud with a Dexter lift there would then be sufficient room for 16" wheels and tires, I will also assume thereby providing an additional amount of lift and reduction in tail dragging.
I ask as a future first time owner. Thank you.
Hi

As soon as you put many thousand pounds on those bolts and go down a bumpy road, they *will* center in the hole.....

Bob
Old 10-16-2019, 10:32 AM   #37
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Everywhere , Minnesota
wulfraat and uncle bob,
Thank you for the replies as well as the previous posts. They have been most helpful and informative. Really do appreciate your advice and input in this and other topics. Thanks.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:16 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

We used an engraving needle to mark the location of the mounts before removal on my Classic 33FB. We then installed the lift kit and checked the markings before we torqued it up. The lift brackets were dead on, so we did not have to adjust anything. I have since towed it almost 2000 miles and tire wear is even. When I took it in for state inspection at a trailer repair facility I asked them to check the alignment. They put it on a low lift alignment machine and said it was in alignment. So, I think Dexter did a good job with this kit.