RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-25-2020, 05:23 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Crested Butte , Colorado
Another bad PepLink update...DO NOT DOWNLOAD

Airstream has done it again. I downloaded the latest update for the PepLink modem in my Classic 30 from Airstream and now no Internet. Do these guys ever test these updates before they send them out? Guess not. Last time it took Airstream almost nine months before they sent out a new update that corrected the porked modem.
Old 10-25-2020, 07:52 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froglips View Post
Airstream has done it again. I downloaded the latest update for the PepLink modem in my Classic 30 from Airstream and now no Internet. Do these guys ever test these updates before they send them out? Guess not. Last time it took Airstream almost nine months before they sent out a new update that corrected the porked modem.
Do you mean the connect software from Airstream? The Peplink modem firmware is only updatable from Airstream I believe. You don't have any control over that download.

Yesterday, sadly, my AT&T plan ran out. My backup is a grandfathered AT&T hotspot that completely bypasses my Peplink modem and roof antenna. The good news is that it is faster! Where I am in Marion NC, I was getting 27 Mb down with the Airstream equipment. Now with the hotspot, I am getting 47 Mb down. Go figure. My plan is 22 gig/month at $20.

When recently adding a new phone to my plan, AT&T tried to change my hotspot plan. That would have eliminated my grandfathered hotspot plan for a new hotspot plan. Cost? 16 gig/month for $125! I tell you I am waiting for Elon Musk's Starlink plan. I will pay $80/month for guaranteed service even in the remotest areas.
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 10:21 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Just out of curiosity, have you considered taking the SIM card out of your hotspot and placing it in your peplink? You might have to have ATT change the IMEI info on their end though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
Do you mean the connect software from Airstream? The Peplink modem firmware is only updatable from Airstream I believe. You don't have any control over that download.

Yesterday, sadly, my AT&T plan ran out. My backup is a grandfathered AT&T hotspot that completely bypasses my Peplink modem and roof antenna. The good news is that it is faster! Where I am in Marion NC, I was getting 27 Mb down with the Airstream equipment. Now with the hotspot, I am getting 47 Mb down. Go figure. My plan is 22 gig/month at $20.

When recently adding a new phone to my plan, AT&T tried to change my hotspot plan. That would have eliminated my grandfathered hotspot plan for a new hotspot plan. Cost? 16 gig/month for $125! I tell you I am waiting for Elon Musk's Starlink plan. I will pay $80/month for guaranteed service even in the remotest areas.
Ephraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 10:29 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Crested Butte , Colorado
The update states that it is updating the modem. This is what happened the last time many of us lost connectivity in our Airstream. You can decline the update.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:37 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Williamsburg , VA
I plan to hard reset the peplink modem and go that route. Hopefully it will work better then. I don't need Airstream controlling or monitoring the modem.
primepower is offline   Reply With Quote