Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2018, 12:22 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
1). Sometimes salesmen don’t know what’s coming next year.

2). Sometimes a salesman might lie to make a sale.

These are two rules are true now, and they’ve been true ever since there have been salesmen.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 12:26 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Victoria , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post

You have serious issues my friend.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony
I believe judgements like this go against the the respectful nature of our forum. The OP is entitled to his opinions and frustrations.

Let’s try to keep our forum friendly and respectful. Thank you.
Camr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 12:33 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Green Cove Springs , Florida
My Firefly has worked flawlessly for almost 2 years. Oh dang, there I go being all positive. My apologies. BTW, my 2016 Ram 2500 Cummin diesel Limited with every electronic gizmo Dodge offered has also been flawless for over 40,000 miles. Sure glad I don’t have to go back to roll up windows and no a/c. Life and technology move forward. I don’t like to look back...that’s not where I’m going.
Old 08-03-2018, 12:40 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Tulare , California
I am selling my 2018 Globetrotter after 4 months. I found a real quality trailer to buy, and not held together with liquid nails and wood. Take a look there out there!!
HDsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 01:49 PM   #25
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Does Apple confide to potential buyers that an entirely new OS is about to hit the market? I don’t think so. I have a 2017 Classic that does exactly what it was designed to do. I have no regrets. As for the Smart Classic, I love the idea but would be more than a bit hesitant to purchase at this point. Technology changes rapidly and I wonder how big AS’s IT Department is, are they going to be able to assist customers remotely 24/7/365? How fast will they be able to work out the bugs and upgrades that WILL happen? Right now I use the NEST camera to monitor the inside temperature of my Classic and to be able to see what my doggies are doing, I get immediate notification if there is a power failure, or if my dog is barking at anything. Also, within range of the camera is a thermometer so I know exactly what the temperature is. I don’t need to monitor the tank levels remotely, I know what they are very morning and every night. I will be installing a Weboost soon to increase cell range and strength. I use to different cellphones/internet providers to increase my chances to getting a decent signal. All these “upgrades “ were significantly less than a new Classic.
AS has to overcome a bunch of QC issues with the actual trailer before I would even toy with the idea of them being able to provide SMART....anything. Again, I love my ‘17 Classic but I am much more aware and much more cautious about purchasing a new AS.
Frankly, I am pretty surprised you would even entertain the thought that AS could keep up with technology considering what you have gone through on a Less then smart Airstream. I’d give them a couple of years to work out the inevitable glitches.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 03:26 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camr View Post
I believe judgements like this go against the the respectful nature of our forum. The OP is entitled to his opinions and frustrations.

Let’s try to keep our forum friendly and respectful. Thank you.
I have to agree with this post supporting the OP. The OP even said they were hesitant to post here again because they had been 'beat up' by other members, really?? Cyber bullies are found everywhere or it could be a case of people just not being able to reply back in a civil, not condescending manner, IMHOP. I have thick skin and don't really care if someone is grumpy, having a bad day or thinks their opinion is the only opinion because they have 10K posts here, I will carry on my day with a smile. But I can see how some others could feel attacked and now hesitant of posting here again, which is not the purpose of this forum, it typically is to help others. (stepping down off my soapbox) . Have a great day, heading out to an AS rally in Olympia!
hoagy_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 04:10 PM   #27
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Given that you are in Nashville, I probably can guess where you bought your trailer. There are good dealers and there are not so good dealers. Part of the "good dealer" process is letting you know that whatever is coming is still under wraps and that there is no way to say what will or will not be in next year's trailer.

Had you waited until things settled ( in late June ...) you could have ordered a 2019 Classic. Delivery would have likely been out in September. At that point you get a totally new, completely un-debugged set of stuff on that trailer ( = you are a beta tester ). Would you *really* have picked that option?

In fact, we bought a 2017 at the same point in the year you bought your 2018. We asked the same questions. Our dealer was quite straightforward about it all being under wraps for at least a few more weeks. He also was quite clear about the delivery timing. We opted (just as you did) for the trailer that had been debugged already.

Was that the right decision? Based on all the threads on the 2018 intro, yes it was the right decision. Just as with the 2019, anything that's on the 2018 can be DIY'd into a 2017. I'd much rather have fewer hassles *and* another season of use. Getting a trailer in late September simply means storing it for the winter ....

So yes, I went through the same process you did. The big difference - the dealer.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 04:57 PM   #28
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrick.l.j View Post
Does Apple confide to potential buyers that an entirely new OS is about to hit the market? I don’t think so.
Three weeks ago, I bought a new, very expensive Apple laptop.

Two weeks ago, Apple released a latest-er and greatest-er version of my new laptop.
Neither Apple nor the store I bought from said anything about the new release when I bought.
I know if I go to the Chevy dealer, they are not going to tell me to wait until the new model year before buying a vehicle.
Why should Airstream or its dealers be any different from any other multi-million (or trillion) dollar company?
Old 08-03-2018, 06:03 PM   #29
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Angry About Smart Control Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Airstream Smart Control Video just went up yesterday. Is it the next great thing, or did recent purchaser's dodge a bullet on untested technology.

I guess time will tell.

Remotely deploy the awning. He. Hehe. Nothing can go wrong there. [emoji4]

I actually love remote over the internet access and companies that push out great technology.

I like being able to control my victron energy system remotely over the internet via an app
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:33 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
The older I get (will be 50 in two weeks) the more I am starting to despise technology. I just don't have the patience for all the quirks like I used to.
I see this new system uses the technology of a smart phone to interface with the various systems. What if a person only has a flip phone?
This Czone system reminds me of the Canbus system in many of the newer automobiles. Your going to need a dealership to troubleshoot the system - and I bet they won't understand how to work on it either. You just can't trouble shoot this stuff in the field with a multi-meter. I think it is a very bad idea to build this much technology into a trailer/rv when it will be obsolete in a matter of just a few years. I can foresee the simple 2015 and 2016 Classics holding their value much better than the later trailers.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 07:06 AM   #31
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
Remotely deploy the awning. He. Hehe. Nothing can go wrong there. [emoji4]

I actually love remote over the internet access and companies that push out great technology.

I like being able to control my victron energy system remotely over the internet via an app
Hi

So, how many different systems, from how many different vendors are in that picture? How many independent communications links are involved? How many different protocols are there? How many different phones are targeted for apps?

What could possibly go wrong

Bob
Old 08-04-2018, 07:15 AM   #32
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
What if a person only has a flip phone?
That is where you, as the prospective purchaser, need to open your mouth, and tell the salesman "I don't have a smartphone, and have no intention of purchasing one", and the salesman should then show you to an Airstream that doesn't have a need for one.
Old 08-04-2018, 07:20 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2023 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
Best of Luck with your unit ! I agree however with Lily & Me and Crispyboy. I don't see a need for this level of technology in "Camping"! As said before i don't need a "Project " while i am on the road.
knunut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 07:52 AM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
This new tech strikes me as something that will be of immense value once all of the bugs have been worked out, say in about five years. Unfortunately the people buying in the next couple of years will pay to be beta testers.

Ham Radio Callsign - VA3PGJ
Philip Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 07:57 AM   #35
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
That is where you, as the prospective purchaser, need to open your mouth, and tell the salesman "I don't have a smartphone, and have no intention of purchasing one", and the salesman should then show you to an Airstream that doesn't have a need for one.
Hi

... at the dealership you work for that's 100% true (= I've shopped there). At other dealerships, lord only knows what the sales guy would tell you.

There's good dealers and then there are the "other guys"....

Like it or not, the dealer has a very real job to do. He gets well paid to do that job. It's not just a matter of getting you to sign on the dotted line in less than 20 seconds. When he does not do the real job he's supposed to do, the result is not as good as it should be. That's just the way it works.

It would be nice if every car, truck, trailer, MH, furniture, ... dealer was "the best of the best". That simply isn't true in any market or any field. Shopping for a dealer is as much part of this as shopping for a product.

Bob
Old 08-04-2018, 08:06 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
<<snip>>

It would be nice if every car, truck, trailer, MH, furniture, ... dealer was "the best of the best". That simply isn't true in any market or any field. Shopping for a dealer is as much part of this as shopping for a product.

Bob
That's how I make choices of where to purchase, no matter the product.(unless it is disposable)
No service, no deal!

ps:
I am part of the group that is tired of/done with keeping up with new gadgets and software. I want my trailer to be as simple as possible, so that I can repair, maintain, and don't have to worry about ANY software related to the trailers' function.
I doubt I will be buying a new Airstream, specifically because of this. I've been considering it, but ……… no!
Old 08-04-2018, 10:41 AM   #37
Classy Roscoe

Brooksjaso,
I share your pain. Sales people have one goal, get your money. Period.

As has been very well said, more overlapping system, more points of failure.

However, we as a society will continue to become more multi-system dependent.

I suspect that this recent development in Airstream integration of systems will rely on the Firefly Intergrators based Canbuss communications system found in everything that floats, rolls or flys.

What is an issue for me is being able to plug and play these new bells an whistles with reasonable ease. It is only software. It is not a new invention.

Everything is a marketing consideration. But, Firefly Intergrators are not going to redesign the wheel just to put a colored display and a WiFi or Bluetooth interface in an Airstream. Same goes for a cell transceiver in an Airstream. Such systems have been in RV's, boats and private aircraft as well as Limo's for the last several years.

Only thing different between the Firefly system in our 2017 Classic and the new 2019's is a color display and a SIM card in cell transceiver somewhere in the RV. Got to have it to make it work.

The rub is uploading firmware (brains of the mini-computer in the Firefly) and plugging in of the modules to add the capability.

Just remember the more layers of systems the more points of failure. Finding a system tech at an RV place is going to be the real issue. Board swapping till you find the fault is prohibitively expensive.

Airstream would be doing us a very big favor to have a cell phone app that allows us or the repair guys have a diagnostic program to point to the defective module and quit wasting our time on flashy phone controls or color glossy pictures.

Damn it, battery went dead
Jekerrville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 11:20 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
I like technology. At least most of the time. But there are some times where I’ve found technology makes life more complicated; not less. I just bought a new Pacifica for my wife. There were a few things I demanded: good back up camera; rear sensors; blue tooth for the phone; and side sensors. These were safety features that I believe are worth the money. But we could have gotten more technology. The problem is if this stuff fails the repair bills are ridiculous. I was a bow hunter for many years. There were all kinds of gizmos etc for bow hunters. But I found that gizmos make things complicated and in a tree stand looking at a deer the more stuff one has the more likely something will go wrong. So I got more simple; not more complex.

I have a tennis ball machine. It has great programming technology. So I was out the other day and that technology failed. My practice was over. Now I have to pay more for a control board, etc. Spent all kinds of time dealing with failed technology.

So my point is: The more technology one has the more likely something will go wrong. It’s cool when it works. It’s frustrating when it doesn’t.

I don’t know how often I’ve been on the phone with customer support over computer issues or software issues. I’ve wasted a day or two here and there. The POINT: If you have more technology be prepared to spend a great deal of time on the phone with customer service.

Also regarding new technology....I bought a 2017 F150. I knew right away that in about 2 years all the technology in that truck is going to be different. There will be improvements. That’s life. But one can’t wait for new technology all the time or one would be constantly waiting and never buying.

There’s always something new around the corner.....

PS. For me the point of camping is to make life simple not more complex. So I like things that are functional, simple, and reliable. Nothing like the simplicity of a camp fire.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 11:20 AM   #39
Classy Roscoe

So, I like the mood of a vintage guy at AANW, Covington WA., that said, “ camping is when you stuff your nap sack and your fart bag on your Harley, put your woman on the back and head to the mountain.”
Jekerrville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 12:21 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Tis the gift to be simple, 'tis the gift to be free,
'Tis the gift to come down where we ought to be,
And when we find ourselves in the place just right,
'Twill be in the valley of love and delight.
When true simplicity is gain'd,
To bow and to bend we shan't be asham'd,
To turn, turn will be our delight,
Till by turning, turning we come 'round right.
shaker song - simple gifts - elder joseph brackett - 1848
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote