Old 07-04-2020, 03:13 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
2018 30' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
Alde Winterizing Procedure 2018 Classic

HI all, ...

I'm upgrading from a 1989 Excella 1000 to a 2019 Classic 30.

Can anyone point me to the winterization procedure for an Alde system?

Do i have to drain a hot water tank land bypass the lines as I do my 89?

Thanks all.

Dave

davcarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 04:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Iíve never winterized my rig, we drive away from freezing temps... but I would say yes you do. The alde radiant heating system is separate from the hot water tank but itís all the same system if that makes sense. I would drain everything except the glycol system.

The drain valve is actually right next to the drain for the lines and the fresh tank in between the driver side wheels.

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 06:15 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Callao , Virginia
If you have the manual that came with your Airstream it will show you where all the bleed valves are. If not there is one for your fresh water tank (white plastic) between the tires (on the street side) and two drain valves (Brass for hot & cold water) just ahead of that. Also under the dinette seat closest to the front there are two drains for the Alde (Yellow handles). I use air (at 50 PSI) connected to the fresh water intake to purge the system of any remaining water. This is a process that takes a while with lifting and lowering the jack to make sure you are getting all the water out, and also disconnecting the plumbing to the pump (under the frig) and running that dry. Emptying the strainer in the process also. This takes awhile but I don't have to use any antifreeze in the system. Do not drain any Alde fluid when winterizing.
Airhead2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 06:41 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Charlotte , North Carolina
I just flip the drain valve under the dinette to drain, set the valves for bypass, blow the lines then pump antifreeze. I don’t raise lower, etc. That leaves the HW tank empty. Can still use the heat while winterized if you like (not for me). Alde is the greatest. Love it.
LilPeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 07:01 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
townsend , Tennessee
Good news in the manual has great instructions as long as you have a 30'. Unfortunately for us 33' owners, you have to pester Airstream to get the right instructions as the plumbing is different.

Just follow the manual and you can't go wrong.

As for whether you just drain the system, blow out the system, or add antifreeze, it all depends on how cold and for how long.

Living in the south, I tend to just to drain and sometimes blow out the system. If the trailer is going to be out of service for a long time, I will add antifreeze to help keep the seals from drying out - an often overlooked benefit of using antifreeze.
BryonJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 08:05 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Callao , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryonJ View Post
Good news in the manual has great instructions as long as you have a 30'. Unfortunately for us 33' owners, you have to pester Airstream to get the right instructions as the plumbing is different.

Just follow the manual and you can't go wrong.

As for whether you just drain the system, blow out the system, or add antifreeze, it all depends on how cold and for how long.

Living in the south, I tend to just to drain and sometimes blow out the system. If the trailer is going to be out of service for a long time, I will add antifreeze to help keep the seals from drying out - an often overlooked benefit of using antifreeze.
Good point Bryon, I put a little vegetable oil on the toilet seal and that is it. Also we live in Virginia and winter temps have been not bad in the past few years. Any further north I would go with the antifreeze.
Airhead2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 06:33 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Mannford , Oklahoma
Alde winterizing

Refer to this link:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f45...ic-177149.html

geraldsmith is offline   Reply With Quote