Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2020, 10:12 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2018 33' Classic
​2020 Atlas​
Pullman , Washington
Alde System Continually Dripping

We recently had our Alde system flushed at our local Airstream dealer with new fluid - and the system worked the best it has ever worked. (We have a 2018 Classic 33).

After a rough drive yesterday - we now have a continual drip that is essentially draining the Alde fluid out of the system at the overflow line beside the water heater by the door.

I have drained the hot water heater to restore the cushion - but that did not change a thing.

I have read through the various Alde postings - curious as if anyone else has had this problem.

Of course - all of the Airstream Dealers are closed over the 4th of July weekend. Love any suggestions.
WA_Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 04:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Is it draining alde fluid or hot water? Can you take a picture of which hose?

It matters...

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 05:33 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2018 33' Classic
​2020 Atlas​
Pullman , Washington
It is the Alde Fluid.

I contacted our Airstream Dealer and we are going to take it in - again. I believe this will be our 6th or 7th visit directly related to our Alde system over 3 years.

We had a 25 ft Flying Cloud and “upgraded” with the Classic 33 in 2018. While we love the interior and many of the features - our blinds malfunction frequently (also annual or bi-annual fixes) and the Alde has never worked really well.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Right now - I intend to sell it at the end of the camping season and either move to a Class B or perhaps an AS International (with less complex systems).
Old 07-05-2020, 06:07 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Annapolis , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by WA_Airstream View Post
It is the Alde Fluid.

I contacted our Airstream Dealer and we are going to take it in - again. I believe this will be our 6th or 7th visit directly related to our Alde system over 3 years.

We had a 25 ft Flying Cloud and “upgraded” with the Classic 33 in 2018. While we love the interior and many of the features - our blinds malfunction frequently (also annual or bi-annual fixes) and the Alde has never worked really well.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Right now - I intend to sell it at the end of the camping season and either move to a Class B or perhaps an AS International (with less complex systems).
Yikes! And I was considering canceling my order for a 2021 GT and switching to the Classic! This post, plus the number of people who claim they have had their Alde systems replaced, is giving me great pause...
RV4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 08:37 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Sorry, can’t help you if it’s fluid dripping out. Hot water is an easy fix. Hope the dealer can assist you. Truma handles North America alde, they were extremely helpful when I had to diagnose an alde challenge I had.

Once alde is dialed in, it’s amazing.

We full time and have only gone in for service 1 time for alde to flush. Everything else has been a quick adjustment via phone support or they sent me a valve that failed and took 2 minutes to install with a flathead screwdriver.

Follow our adventures!
Old 07-09-2020, 10:13 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Lake Charles , SW Louisiana
Hate to read this (OP).

We will be picking our 2018 Classic up tomorrow from the Dealer we had to do the ALDE System recall/flush & refill work after waiting 5-months to get it done due to their service backlog.

If I may ask; What are the specific questions I should look for and ask the AS Service Advisor & Tech regarding this work before I leave their dealership?

The Dealer is 165 miles from our home base so the last thing I want is to travel 330 miles, get back home with the Classic and find that the Alde is dripping only to have to schedule another appointment to correct any such issue.
Old 07-09-2020, 11:34 AM   #7
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Post a picture of the dripping hose please. For clarity you are losing fluid and the tank level is dropping or non existent?

There is an AirBleeder on the side of the boiler so perhaps that is failing. The over pressure valves, usually yellow, which can be used for draining sometimes leak. But those are only water.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 12:13 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by rewillia View Post
Hate to read this (OP).

We will be picking our 2018 Classic up tomorrow from the Dealer we had to do the ALDE System recall/flush & refill work after waiting 5-months to get it done due to their service backlog.

If I may ask; What are the specific questions I should look for and ask the AS Service Advisor & Tech regarding this work before I leave their dealership?

The Dealer is 165 miles from our home base so the last thing I want is to travel 330 miles, get back home with the Classic and find that the Alde is dripping only to have to schedule another appointment to correct any such issue.

In my opinion, the best thing you can do is ask them to turn the system on and heat the trailer prior to your arrival. If it's on and working when you get there then you're good to go. Also check to ensure your alde fluid is at the correct level. I've heard most dealers will give you extra fluid if you ask for it. This is so you can add fluid as the system burps. You may need to bring in an empty and dry water bottle as I have heard most dealers work out of 55 gal drums, not individual gallon jugs.

Hope this helps.

OP, any update or photos so we may be able to help?

Follow our adventures!
Old 07-09-2020, 07:32 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2018 33' Classic
​2020 Atlas​
Pullman , Washington
Just a quick update -

We moved campsites (and cities) and the Alde system stopped leaking. I added about a liter of Alde fluid and it has worked like a charm.

I always carry 2 liters of the Alde Fluid with me just in case.

I would ask the dealer to ramp the temperature up to 80 and make sure it works - both on shore power and on propane.

When the system is working - it is amazing. I read less about the Alde issues with recent Classics - so perhaps Airstream is getting all of the kinks worked out.