Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2020, 02:18 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Star , Idaho
Alde Stopped Working on Propane 2020 Classic 30

I always check the service screen to know when it's time to hop in the shower. Last evening, right around shower time, I noticed that the propane side of the Alde was on sabbatical for both heating and water heating. We were connected to 50 amp power, so after some time, we settled for not so hot showers.Tried the trailer electrical reset, but it didn't help. Any ideas?
StarCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 02:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Are you out of propane? Even if the tank switches, the system will some times not work. Your power shut down would have fixed that. You can try powering down just the alde itself with this too?

You said you are hooked up to shore power. The system will also prioritize electric over gas if you have both selected. Have you tried turning off the electric or unhooking from shore power and the gas isnít working still?

Having zero hot water leads me to believe something else may be wrong though because as I said, it should still be working in electric even if gas isnít working.

Any error codes on the control panel?

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 04:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
We've had a couple do this. One turned out to be a bad fan, it wasn't spinning fast enough. They're still working on the other one.
Old 07-19-2020, 06:12 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Star , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSxyWhtGuy View Post
Are you out of propane? Even if the tank switches, the system will some times not work. Your power shut down would have fixed that. You can try powering down just the alde itself with this too?

You said you are hooked up to shore power. The system will also prioritize electric over gas if you have both selected. Have you tried turning off the electric or unhooking from shore power and the gas isnít working still?

Having zero hot water leads me to believe something else may be wrong though because as I said, it should still be working in electric even if gas isnít working.

Any error codes on the control panel?
Thanks for the suggestions:

Full propane tanks and the cook top and refer run on propane. Restarted the Alde...a few times. I do have hot water on electric. I turned off the electricity on the Alde panel, and I changed the priority to propane. No heat, no error codes.
Old 07-19-2020, 06:15 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Star , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
We've had a couple do this. One turned out to be a bad fan, it wasn't spinning fast enough. They're still working on the other one.
Maybe. Fan speed is 0.
Old 07-20-2020, 10:16 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Charlotte , North Carolina
Ours has been temperamental at times as well. But it seems to narrow down to 2 things. Propane and resetting the ‘memory’ that there is no propane. Beyond those, it may be a real issue. Here is how we eliminate those 2.

First, do you have ‘gas stops’? If so, remove them. They have stopped our propane flow after a tank change when they see ‘filling the line’ as a leak. Easiest in some situations to remove all the variables. Then light the stove and oven and let them run for 5-10 min to make sure there is no air in the propane lines.

Then battery disconnect for about 2 min.

Turn it all back on and see if the fan starts spinning after the reboot.

I love Alde. But it is particular about having lots of propane readily available. If it doesn’t, it seems to remember that and won’t turn on.

Good luck. With that nice shower, it would be a shame not to be able to luxuriate (what we call a long shower when we have full hookups).
LilPeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 11:00 AM   #7
Airstream Trippin

2020 33' Classic
Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarCamper View Post
I always check the service screen to know when it's time to hop in the shower. Last evening, right around shower time, I noticed that the propane side of the Alde was on sabbatical for both heating and water heating. We were connected to 50 amp power, so after some time, we settled for not so hot showers.Tried the trailer electrical reset, but it didn't help. Any ideas?
We had the same issue a month ago. You donít need the propane to get hot water from the Alde. The propane can be used as a boost to heat a few gallons of extra hot water. I dig into the controls of the Alde and discovered that it was not set correctly with regards to it being set on Thermal versus Continous. There is a YouTube video that shows how to set the settings for the Alde. Have you checked the level of Glycol Alcohol in the reservoir? We leave our Alde on when we are stopped and we have constant hot water. I also discovered a timer in the settings that Allowed me to set the time and temp for when we like to shower so the water is always good to go.
Gigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 06:31 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Crested Butte , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigler View Post
We had the same issue a month ago. You donít need the propane to get hot water from the Alde. The propane can be used as a boost to heat a few gallons of extra hot water. I dig into the controls of the Alde and discovered that it was not set correctly with regards to it being set on Thermal versus Continous. There is a YouTube video that shows how to set the settings for the Alde. Have you checked the level of Glycol Alcohol in the reservoir? We leave our Alde on when we are stopped and we have constant hot water. I also discovered a timer in the settings that Allowed me to set the time and temp for when we like to shower so the water is always good to go.
Where is the Thermal/Continuous selection?
Old 07-27-2020, 01:26 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2020 33' Classic
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froglips View Post

This is from the alde manual:

ē THE HEATING SYSTEM DOES NOT START ON GAS
1. Check to make sure that there is gas in the LP Gas tank. If it is empty, have the tank refilled.
2. Check to make sure that the main gas valve is fully open. If not, open the gas valve all the way.
Check that the boiler is connected to the electricity supply (> 11 V DC)
3. Check that the 12V fuse for the boiler is intact.
4. Check whether the electric connections on the boiler are securely in position.

As for the cont./ther. This is under the Circulation pump setting.

When I picked my classic mine was set to cont. you would get hot water on shower boast and that was it. It shut off when shower boast was done. On ther. It has three settings, off, on, and shower boast.
rlyoung1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 07:54 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Star , Idaho
Today it works?

Called Airstream support twice yesterday. They never returned the call. Today the ALDE is working just fine on propane...even though it didnít yesterday. Yay? Maybe it responds to threats?

I have complete confidence in the system working perfectly from here on out...not.
Old 07-31-2020, 03:16 PM   #11
Airstream Trippin

2020 33' Classic
Livingston , Texas
Quote:

In the settings of the Alde display. The little gear symbol represents the settings..
Old 08-03-2020, 04:10 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Crested Butte , Colorado
Yep, I know about settings. No such setting on my setup
Old 08-04-2020, 07:09 AM   #13
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarCamper View Post
Called Airstream support twice yesterday. They never returned the call. Today the ALDE is working just fine on propane...even though it didnít yesterday. Yay? Maybe it responds to threats?

I have complete confidence in the system working perfectly from here on out...not.
Hi StarCamper,*

If you start having issues again, please send us a direct message with your contact information, email and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team.
Thank you.*
Old 08-04-2020, 07:40 AM   #14
Airstream Trippin

2020 33' Classic
Livingston , Texas
Quote:

Take a pic of your display
Old 08-04-2020, 07:40 AM   #15
Airstream Trippin

2020 33' Classic
Livingston , Texas
Quote:

Itís there
Old 08-06-2020, 11:58 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Las Vegas , Nevada
We have had the same issues with our new 2020 33í Classic.
So, today the check cleared for our full refund.

Itís a shame we are Airstream less again.

I think itís time for Airstream to ditch the Alde system.
30Globe2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 06:03 PM   #17
rasyl

2018 30' Classic
CALGARY , Alberta
Hey Lil Peanut - first time start up of Alde in Alberta this year and we had a 'gas failure' that would not go away despite many reboots of the Alde and gas on/off. I tried your full hard reboot of the trailer electrical and it worked a charm. Thanks!
rdsyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 01:17 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Charlotte , North Carolina
Rdsyl, Glad it worked! We love the Alde and wouldn’t have a rig without it. Once we learned what it likes, we have gotten along just fine. Winter camping is our favorite, but winter to us is still above freezing. We do hope to get to Alberta some time soon, in the summer!
LilPeanut is offline   Reply With Quote