Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2020, 11:48 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Richmond , Virginia
Alde - I have checked everything....

Hi - I'm hoping I'm missing something from the MANY threads on Alde issues.

Setup
  • A couple month old 2020 Classic 30 w/ Alde 2030
  • Heat works great from day 1. I'm in the mountains and use it every night. Quiet. Effective.

Problem: Hot water BARELY works, for maybe 10-15 seconds. Sinks and shower have the same issue

What I have tried and/or checked:
  • Flow box is checked on the control
  • Pump speed is set to two
  • Maintenance panel shows hot water is > 150*
  • Heat is set to max on Alde
  • Pump is set to thermostat
  • I have tested on propane, electric and both
  • I use the hot water boost on the panel and let it get fully up to temp (triangle with thermometer stops flashing) before using it.

I'm traveling and would love to fix this myself (though I have an appointment for when I get home in a few months). What else can I try? I would appreciate any suggestions.

THANK YOU!
mountaindrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 04:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
This is a very common problem there are lots of threads about this. Most common issue is incorrect valve settings, but there are a couple other causes as well. all the solutions are fairly easy as I recall, no need to bring it in. I'd have to search for the solutions, so you may as well learn how to use the search feature. wish I could remember what they are but I don't have the system so no reason for me to store it.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 04:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
I’ve got a 3010 model, I believe someone posted a picture of their valves from a 3020 model somewhere. It sounds like it’s something silly like a valve is closed when it should be open.

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 08:22 PM   #4
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Propane on and make sure you use the 'boost' selection. This is the little shower indicator between the temperature and the electric on the primary screen.

Check the settings Item 11 in the manual pg 20 and make sure boost is activated.

Also check the setting on the water temperature control on the Alde along with the pump speed adjustment on the side floor of the Alde. Make sure temp is maxed and fan speed is 2-3 setting.

Lastly is you still don't like the temperature in the shower remove the shower handle and set the max temp protector to a higher temperature.

I had to do all of these, as have others, to get the most out of the Alde system.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 08:56 AM   #5
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaindrm View Post

Setup
  • Heat works great from day 1. I'm in the mountains and use it every night. Quiet. Effective.

Problem: Hot water BARELY works, for maybe 10-15 seconds. Sinks and shower have the same issue

• I use the hot water boost on the panel and let it get fully up to temp (triangle with thermometer stops flashing) before using it.

I'm traveling and would love to fix this myself (though I have an appointment for when I get home in a few months). What else can I try? I would appreciate any suggestions.

THANK YOU!
Hi mountaindrm,*

We're very sorry to learn about the issue you are having. Please send us a direct message with your contact information, email and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at*customersupport@airstream.com

Thank you.*
Old 09-22-2020, 10:37 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
2015 25' Flying Cloud
Blue Ridge , Georgia
Check to make sure the valves on the Alde are in the correct position for the flow. There are diagrams in the Airstream manual that I use when winterizing. Particularly the hot water valves on the boiler itself. Hope you get it solved quickly.

Took me 3 months to find out I didn't have the Alde flow box checked.
Gleverett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 10:42 AM   #7
Airstream Trippin

2020 33' Classic
Livingston , Texas
What is your Altitude in the mountains? You may need to activate the setting on the control panel for use in high altitude.
Gigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 07:37 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
LEES SUMMIT , Missouri
Be sure to turn up the knob behind the righthand dining seat panel
dechampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 08:15 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2022 20' Basecamp
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
Can you buy a 30 without Alde?
SilverWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 09:11 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Yes, only the classics come with alde so you still have globetrotter and flying cloud 30.

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 11:07 AM   #11
Airstream Connected

2020 30' Classic
TW , Texas
Angry New 30 classic built July 12 2020

We have been struggling two weeks with water issues. Luckily I’m an engineer. First adjusted the Kohler Rite Temp faucet in the shower. That helped but still little water. The water pressure also is very low unless you run the pump. I think the regulator is bad and needs replacing. But still very little warm water anywhere. We just traded a 2018 International and had zero issues with pressure and hit water. Frustrated with not getting a hot shower or hot water at kitchen sink I finally took out the seat covering the system. I first made sure mixing valve was max. Still no only warm water. So I closed the valve that feeds cold water at the bottom of the mixing valve and had scalding water. So I partially opened it until my wife got hot enough water at sink. She was happy but still would run out. I kept looking and found the Alde flow unit not connected electrically to the boiler. The wires were pulled from the plug. When I called airstream they told me they did not have Alde flow that the units came with them but they didn’t install them. Mine was installed. I hooked up the wires and enabled Alde flow in the service menu and it works well. Everything works as well as Alde says it will. We are very happy now. I had to get manuals from Alde to figure how to operate. Also system had air in the antifreeze side. I had to follow instructions to clear them. The towel bar made dripping noises. Now no noise only heat. I used distilled water to fill the tank. It wasn’t difficult and didn’t take long. Use a paper towel around the valves when bleeding them. Very frustrated with the quality of our purchase. Also the dual vent pipe was ripped and had to cover with tape until they get me one. It was sucking fresh air from the inside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A1AE4EE0-9AC3-4CBB-8631-224C47174604.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	256.9 KB
ID:	379314   Click image for larger version

Name:	8C22AFBE-D2E4-4132-BAF4-CBCCD51F51EE.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	361.8 KB
ID:	379315  

Click image for larger version

Name:	A2265E6E-24B3-4BCF-9A8E-A23B1256A174.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	322.3 KB
ID:	379316   Click image for larger version

Name:	7DF3B377-F42B-422B-BC17-92B5F6A388FE.jpeg
Views:	81
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	379318  

FdTow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 09:55 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Richmond , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by plhinds View Post
We have been struggling two weeks with water issues. Luckily I’m an engineer. First adjusted the Kohler Rite Temp faucet in the shower. That helped but still little water. The water pressure also is very low unless you run the pump. I think the regulator is bad and needs replacing. But still very little warm water anywhere. We just traded a 2018 International and had zero issues with pressure and hit water. Frustrated with not getting a hot shower or hot water at kitchen sink I finally took out the seat covering the system. I first made sure mixing valve was max. Still no only warm water. So I closed the valve that feeds cold water at the bottom of the mixing valve and had scalding water. So I partially opened it until my wife got hot enough water at sink. She was happy but still would run out. I kept looking and found the Alde flow unit not connected electrically to the boiler. The wires were pulled from the plug. When I called airstream they told me they did not have Alde flow that the units came with them but they didn’t install them. Mine was installed. I hooked up the wires and enabled Alde flow in the service menu and it works well. Everything works as well as Alde says it will. We are very happy now. I had to get manuals from Alde to figure how to operate. Also system had air in the antifreeze side. I had to follow instructions to clear them. The towel bar made dripping noises. Now no noise only heat. I used distilled water to fill the tank. It wasn’t difficult and didn’t take long. Use a paper towel around the valves when bleeding them. Very frustrated with the quality of our purchase. Also the dual vent pipe was ripped and had to cover with tape until they get me one. It was sucking fresh air from the inside.
Do you know what the function of the dual vent pipe is? I assumed the outer portion is just a protective barrier against heat from the interior metal vent. I just noticed yesterday mine is ripped too. Ugh.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:59 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Richmond , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigler View Post
What is your Altitude in the mountains? You may need to activate the setting on the control panel for use in high altitude.
I'm in the mountains and yes, that's activated. Thanks!
Old 09-24-2020, 10:00 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Richmond , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechampion View Post
Be sure to turn up the knob behind the righthand dining seat panel
Yes, its set on as high as it will go. Thanks!
Old 09-24-2020, 11:41 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Williamsburg , VA
I hope you get it fixed soon. I really enjoy the Alde heating system. Works well and no noise.
primepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 09:45 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2022 20' Basecamp
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSxyWhtGuy View Post
Yes, only the classics come with alde so you still have globetrotter and flying cloud 30.
Whew!!
SilverWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 07:55 AM   #17
Airstream Connected

2020 30' Classic
TW , Texas
Exhaust pipe

Quote:
Do you know what the function of the dual vent pipe is? I assumed the outer portion is just a protective barrier against heat from the interior metal vent. I just noticed yesterday mine is ripped too. Ugh.
Outer wall is fresh air. It’s a sealed system sucks in fresh air in outer pipe and exhaust is in inner pipe. It helps keep it cool. It’s like a high efficiency home heating system. It’s also very important for safety as it can allow exhaust in the trailer. Get some foil tape and seal it. Then make them replace be ready though they don’t have them in stock.
FdTow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 08:10 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
townsend , Tennessee
A few more things to look at:

Priority setting: gas or electric?
Gas setting; on or off?
Air cushion in tank: Alde suggests that you dump your hot water tank every week. We just flip the "yellow" pop valve for about 10 seconds every now and then and that does the trick.
Reset: like all computers, sometimes you have to hit ctrl/alt/del

We love cold weather camping and the alde system is wonderful! As you said - quiet and effective.

We set ours as follows:
gas: on
Priority: electric
Electric: 2kW
pump: thermostat
Domestic hot water: 2 bars - the only time you need 3 bars is if you are running the Alde heat. 3 bars will temporarily shut off the heat exchanger and focus all heat on domestic water.
Night and Day schedules: we do not use at all since they seem to mess up other settings (IMO)

If you set the priority to electric and it can't keep up to the set temperature, the gas burner will come on automatically to compensate.

Hope this helps. We were without heat in Yellowstone one fall in a diesel coach. We had to drive to Cody, WY to get space heaters.

Quote:

Setup

THANK YOU!
BryonJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 08:15 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
townsend , Tennessee
Wow! Without the Alde Flow you will never get much hot water as the Alde hot water tank itself is pretty small.

Crazy the build quality lately. Our kitchen sink fell out on our 33' Classic because the clamps were not in the right place, basically held in place by caulking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plhinds View Post
BryonJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 07:16 PM   #20
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Try and get some of the actual Alde fluid rather than using distilled water. The fluid has rust inhibitors and a different boiling temperature as well as protects for low temps.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote