Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2022, 05:55 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Cave Creek , Arizona
Alde fluid change DIY

Our 2017 Classic was overdue for it's second Aide fluid change. First one was done by an Airstream dealer but with service prices climbing and wait times being impossible, I've done everything I can to not use an Airstream dealer service department for any work. Truma sold me a 5-gallon bucket of the glycol that was significantly cheaper than buying locally or anywhere else on the internet. I found a post on the nucamp forum that showed a breakdown of the Alde Service pump and it was surprisingly easy to replicate the key parts - the most expensive being a Shurflo pump bought on Amazon, the rest purchased at the local Home Depot. The Alde Service pump uses two pump motors but one worked just fine. I followed the Airstream/Alde service bulletin and used 15 gallons of distilled water to flush the system before adding the new glycol.

The pump worked flawlessly with no leaks and the fluid exchange was quick and easy. No connections or drains had to be opened - and virtually no air was added to the system. Even my wife commented how easy it was (she kept the distilled water bucket full).

This is and easy DIY for anyone who wants to build their own pump.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_AldeA.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	218.4 KB
ID:	412570

Name:	IMG_AldeB.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	304.5 KB
ID:	412571
Pete B55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 06:04 AM   #2
JDG
Riveted

2018 33' Classic
Charleston , West Virginia
Great and nice to know. Did you ask Truma about renting the pump? I had heard they would rent one to you. Maybe not so. Can you send a better picture of the ends that connect to the Alde tank? Thanks.
JDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 06:27 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Cave Creek , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDG View Post
Great and nice to know. Did you ask Truma about renting the pump? I had heard they would rent one to you. Maybe not so. Can you send a better picture of the ends that connect to the Alde tank? Thanks.

I did not ask Truma about pump rental but the guy I spoke with advised me that I needed one and suggested I take the trailer to a dealer- he did not offer a rental. Attached is a picture of the two ends in the tank. The pipe is 3/8 toilet tank bendable pipe - dirt cheap.

Name:	IMG_3379.JPG
Views:	228
Size:	322.7 KB
ID:	412572
Old 03-01-2022, 11:46 AM   #4
JDG
Riveted

2018 33' Classic
Charleston , West Virginia
Got it. Thanks so much. Looks simple but very handy.
JDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 02:46 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Soooooo, how much you charging to do this service for people now that you know how and have all the equipment? [emoji6]

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 08:45 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Cave Creek , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSxyWhtGuy View Post
Soooooo, how much you charging to do this service for people now that you know how and have all the equipment? [emoji6]

Well the thread is titled DIY….

The pump really is easy/cheap to build:
I bought a Shurflo 4008-101-A65 on Amazon - about $60. Any pump will do but I’m familiar with that one because its the water pump in the trailer.

I used 3/8 ID reinforced vinyl tubing ($1/ft) - in retrospect I would have used plain vinyl tubing since its half the cost, the working pressure is 45 psi (pump probably is operating below 30 psi) and its easier to see through to spot the transition to light green when the glycol came out of the discharge tube.

For the tank adaptors I used 3/8th chrome toilet supply pipe from HD (sku 395962) $3.65 each, two 3/4” rubber stoppers (sku 755326) $1.56 each, and two 3/8” barb - 1/2” MPT right angle nylon adaptors (sku 558729 ) $3.55 ea. Drill 5/16” holes through the rubber stoppers, cut the pipe roughly in half and push them through the stoppers. Use 5/8” hose clamps and a short piece of the tubing to connect to the right angle barbed adaptors. Bend one pipe to have a 1-2 inch offset like in the picture above. They will fit perfectly in the connections at the bottom of the tank.

I also used PEX 1/2” 90 degree and straight female NPT connecters (sku 262190/266426) for the hose ends. These were not ideal for 3/8” tubing but were readily available, cost a couple of dollars each- and with a little effort worked just fine.
Old 03-02-2022, 09:36 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
James Island , South Carolina
My Classic is due and this article is just in time. Thanks Pete.
Old 03-02-2022, 01:02 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Bluffton , South Carolina
Pete could you share the price of the 5-gallon bucket of the glycol?
And thanks for sharing your setup!
69SoulShine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 01:50 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Cave Creek , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69SoulShine View Post
Pete could you share the price of the 5-gallon bucket of the glycol?

And thanks for sharing your setup!

Truma gave me a price of $188 plus shipping. Shipping was fairly expensive to AZ but it was still a lot cheaper than the $320 I was quoted from the local Airstream dealer. Truma shipped UPS and it arrived in 2 days.

Btw- 5 gals was just enough for my 30 RQB Classic with a 3010 boiler. I had a bit to spare but not much. I dont know if a twin or a 33 would require more. The Airstream service bulletin calls for 5 gals regardless of which Classic but the Airstream service tech I spoke with mentioned they like to have an extra gal on hand just to be sure.
Old 03-04-2022, 06:25 AM   #10
2019 - 33' Classic

2019 33' Classic
Grand Junction , Colorado
Thank you for sharing!
RickyNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 09:40 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Cary , North Carolina
Has anyone seen this NHTSA service bulletin?

Thanks for the great info. I am also approaching the time I need to do this as well. Which got me researching a little more. I remembered reading something that Truma / Alde reformulated the glycol which increased the time period between needing to drain and replace. So down the rabbit hole digressed.... So I found this service bulletin and was wondering if Airstream would possibly do this as a warranty type replacement / repair.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...70838-0001.pdf

Thoughts?
TMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 10:01 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic S/O
sault sainte marie , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete B55 View Post
Our 2017 Classic was overdue for it's second Aide fluid change. First one was done by an Airstream dealer but with service prices climbing and wait times being impossible, I've done everything I can to not use an Airstream dealer service department for any work. Truma sold me a 5-gallon bucket of the glycol that was significantly cheaper than buying locally or anywhere else on the internet. I found a post on the nucamp forum that showed a breakdown of the Alde Service pump and it was surprisingly easy to replicate the key parts - the most expensive being a Shurflo pump bought on Amazon, the rest purchased at the local Home Depot. The Alde Service pump uses two pump motors but one worked just fine. I followed the Airstream/Alde service bulletin and used 15 gallons of distilled water to flush the system before adding the new glycol.

The pump worked flawlessly with no leaks and the fluid exchange was quick and easy. No connections or drains had to be opened - and virtually no air was added to the system. Even my wife commented how easy it was (she kept the distilled water bucket full).

This is and easy DIY for anyone who wants to build their own pump.

Attachment 412570

Attachment 412571

Great post for DIYers. The only thing I might have done differently (being frugal) is to have flushed the system with tap water and polishing that off at the end with a couple gallons of distilled.......I should also say that I have an older Classic with forced air so do not have a dog in this fight.
bartzstream2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 06:18 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2021 30RB Classic
NA , Maryland
Quote:
I did not ask Truma about pump rental but the guy I spoke with advised me that I needed one and suggested I take the trailer to a dealer- he did not offer a rental. Attached is a picture of the two ends in the tank. The pipe is 3/8 toilet tank bendable pipe - dirt cheap.

Attachment 412572
Hello,

Not knowing anything about changing the glycol, I should find the bulletin. It sounds like you flushed the system out with water, then pushed new glycol in. Do you need the adapters to separately purge the Alde tank? This isn't clear if you can use the pump in the tank access. Sorry for not understanding. I generally do my own maintenance and ask a lot of questions to avoid issues.

Thank you
jan55255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 01:22 PM   #14

2017 30' Classic
Rochester , Minnesota
Pete,

Great post and thanks for sharing. We have a 2017 30’ Classic and I changed out the fluid myself a couple of years ago. Pita, but I got it done. I didn’t have the tubes that inserted into the tank. I’m going to use your plan to add that to my setup.

Two questions.
- Is the polypropylene glycol you got from Truma premixed?
- When purging with water followed by anti-freeze how do you know that all the water is
out of the system and you have the correct concentration?

Tks,
Bpcrnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 06:00 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Cave Creek , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpcrnut View Post
Pete,

Great post and thanks for sharing. We have a 2017 30’ Classic and I changed out the fluid myself a couple of years ago. Pita, but I got it done. I didn’t have the tubes that inserted into the tank. I’m going to use your plan to add that to my setup.

Two questions.
- Is the polypropylene glycol you got from Truma premixed?
- When purging with water followed by anti-freeze how do you know that all the water is
out of the system and you have the correct concentration?

Tks,

The glycol came premixed.

It was pretty obvious when the discharge fluid switched from the clear distilled water to the green glycol. We ran it for 10 seconds or so more to be sure the discharge color intensity was the same as the glycol going in.
Old 03-11-2022, 10:28 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Cave Creek , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by jan55255 View Post
Hello,

Not knowing anything about changing the glycol, I should find the bulletin. It sounds like you flushed the system out with water, then pushed new glycol in. Do you need the adapters to separately purge the Alde tank? This isn't clear if you can use the pump in the tank access. Sorry for not understanding. I generally do my own maintenance and ask a lot of questions to avoid issues.

Thank you

TMoose posted a link the the service bulletin above in this thread. The SB calls for 15 gals of distilled water to flush the system.

The adaptors insert directly into the two holes in the bottom of the Alde tank (the reservoir). I did use a turkey baster to remove all the old fluid from the tank prior to flushing the system. You can use the pump but I did not want any old fluid in my lines.

Once the adaptors are seated, no fluid enters or exits the tank.

When the flush and fill was complete, I removed the discharge adaptor from the tank, removed the fill adaptor from its hole and the bottom of the tank, and turned on the pump to fill the tank with new glycol to the max line .
Old 03-11-2022, 10:50 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Cave Creek , Arizona
Quote:
TMoose posted a link the the service bulletin above in this thread. The SB calls for 15 gals of distilled water to flush the system.

The adaptors insert directly into the two holes in the bottom of the Alde tank (the reservoir). I did use a turkey baster to remove all the old fluid from the tank prior to flushing the system. You can use the pump but I did not want any old fluid in my lines.

Once the adaptors are seated, no fluid enters or exits the tank.

When the flush and fill was complete, I removed the discharge adaptor from the tank, removed the fill adaptor from its hole and the bottom of the tank, and turned on the pump to fill the tank with new glycol to the max line .

A couple of other suggestions:

The pump spec called for the syphon line to be within 6 feet of the “tank” so I kept the line between the pump and the bucket at about 4 feet. I added another chrome 3/8 inch toilet supply pipe at the bucket end to weight down the hose so we did not have to hold it. It worked well but was not necessary.

The fill hose between the pump and the fill adapter was 8 feet which was plenty. Any longer just means you potentially waste glycol that remains in the line at the end of the fill.

The discharge hose was about 12 feet - long enough the fill four 5-gals buckets lined in a row from the bath towards the kitchen - we did not want to be moving the buckets around during the process.

White buckets are ideal to observe the color changes in the fluids. Orange buckets from HD are ok, blue ones from Lowes and not very helpful.

To drill the 5/16” holes in the rubber stoppers, first drill a 9/16ths to 5/8ths hole through a scrap 2x4. Then push the stopper into the hole in the 2x4 to give a stable base for you to drill the stopper and prevent spinning.
Old 03-11-2022, 01:27 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2021 30RB Classic
Tucson , Arizona
Wow. Great write-up! Thanks so much Pete.

-Arthur
turonueve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 06:44 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartzstream2 View Post
Great post for DIYers. The only thing I might have done differently (being frugal) is to have flushed the system with tap water and polishing that off at the end with a couple gallons of distilled.......I should also say that I have an older Classic with forced air so do not have a dog in this fight.

Why did you comment? I don’t mean to be rude, but so many posts are cluttered with unhelpful information by people that do not understand the system commented upon. No offense.
ejs5405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 02:51 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Merriam , KS
Quote:
Our 2017 Classic was overdue for it's second Aide fluid change. First one was done by an Airstream dealer but with service prices climbing and wait times being impossible, I've done everything
Pete B55, what's attached to the outgoing hose from the pump with zipties?
DougC27 is offline   Reply With Quote