Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2021, 06:08 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Alde 3020 system has an inside water leak.

I just wanted to run something by the group. I added a quart of Alde fluid to my system and the next day it developed a water leak. It is under the dinette seat and to the rear of the dinette facing the sofa. The leak is water, not Alde fluid.

As far as I can tell, it seems to be coming from the Alde Flow tank. There are no Pex lines that are leaking. Traveling for three months in the heat of the northwest, I have to admit I did not relieve any pressure to form the air "bubble" in the tank. Could this be the problem?

I am at the Airstream factory for Alumapaloosa and I made a call to the service center and they will try to work me in tomorrow. They seem to have made the decision to replace the entire unit! My Alde system is out of the one-year warranty. Seems kind of short for such an expensive unit.

Does anyone have any Ideas????

Link to our shared album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/wACfGg1KcroVLP5m6
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 08:23 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Just talked to service, they got me in 7:30 this morning.

My Alde Flow is leaking as I expected. They can't repair it but they will replace it. Two hours to replace. Don't know the cost and it's out of the one year warranty.

Old 09-10-2021, 10:10 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
2021 Atlas
Charlotte , North Carolina
Ask them if they think not restoring the cushion can cause anything other than venting water under the rig.
Old 09-11-2021, 06:06 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Problem solved!

My problem has been solved! Well, I had to throw $1625.00 at it to make it go away!

The problem was indeed the Alde Flow unit. It is the small tank that sits next to the silver box that does all the magic. It had a stress crack in the weld. It is on the bottom of the unit and it had a small pinhole leak.

I am at Alumapaloosa and the guys at the service center worked me in on the last day of their workweek. It took about 3 hours of labor to replace the unit and bring the fluid level back up to normal. They also bled all the lines to remove air. They even replaced all the catches on the dinette seat and gave me the old ones as spares.

I ask for the old unit and I will be calling Truma Gerätetechnik GmbH & Co. KG to complain (yes, that is their full name here in the states!)

I was told by a little birdy that a ground wire was not installed on the unit causing the fluid to get caustic and destroying welds in the system. Now that issue may not be directly related to my problem as my issue was with the water side, not the glycol alcohol side. But my unit ran for two years before the recall to change the fluid and to add the ground wire. The damage to the 3020 may have already happened.

Alde is blaming Airstream, and Airstream is blaming Alde. That leaves us as customers to "Bixxh and moan" to defend our position when our units fail. The battle may have just begun.

Old 09-18-2021, 01:50 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2021 30RB Classic
Virginia Beach , Virginia
We also have a failure of the Flow tank. This morning our ruggable between the sofa and dinette soaked. I investigated and found water leaking from the Flow system. All fitting are tight and there are no hose cracks. We have been using our Classic everyday since we purchased it new exactly 30 days ago. Of course this happens on a Saturday morning so we are without hot water for a while. I have the Alde system by-passed so no more leaks. I am certain I could swap out this unit myself but I have figure out how to capture and reuse the glycol.
JTChapmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 10:20 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTChapmon View Post
We also have a failure of the Flow tank. This morning our ruggable between the sofa and dinette soaked. I investigated and found water leaking from the Flow system. All fitting are tight and there are no hose cracks. We have been using our Classic everyday since we purchased it new exactly 30 days ago. Of course this happens on a Saturday morning so we are without hot water for a while. I have the Alde system by-passed so no more leaks. I am certain I could swap out this unit myself but I have figure out how to capture and reuse the glycol.

It’s a fun process to change it out yourself. You either need radiator clamps or drain the entire system which then takes a pump to fill it. We went clamp method. About $100 in clamps from Amazon gets the job done

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 11:15 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTChapmon View Post

The Alde flow seems to be the weak link in this system. I met the Truma rep at the Hershey RV show. He is hooking me up with his tech department in Elkhart, IN.

The part runs about $770.00 from Airstream. My total bill was just over $1650.00 including labor. It took them about 4 hours and quite a bit of Alde fluid. They had to bleed all the line again. I bought a gallon of the fluid to top it off.

Old 09-20-2021, 06:14 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
2019 28' International
Holyoke , Massachusetts
Hello Tom

Is there a way I can check to ensure the ground wire is attached? Can you describe where I need to look for it?

Thank you.
hsgsports is offline   Reply With Quote