Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2019, 09:04 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
New York , New York
Adventures with Classic 30 Solar (and others)!

So today the power for the campground went out due to someone hitting a utility pole. This is the first time caring about the victron controller monitor. I can’t find anything in manual that tells what each reading means. I get the battery level and what kind of charge it is performing. Currently it is bulk charge. What I want know is what the other numbers mean. Is it just the amount of energy coming in in volts, amps, and kWh?

It appears that there is an app to monitor too, but it looks like it needs a blue tooth dongle? Anyone did that? Manual was next to useless.
ajwbarnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 11:59 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Wherever I may roam , America
Maybe this manual will help. Mine did not come with this one. I had to track it down. https://www.victronenergy.com/upload...trol-A4-EN.pdf
johnparris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 03:15 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Belleville , Illinois
Turk--pls share the info regarding the bluetooth dongle

Where did you get it and how is it installed. Thanks
Presitla99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 04:16 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Crested Butte , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Presitla99 View Post
Where did you get it and how is it installed. Thanks
Purchase from Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Download app from Android or Apple app store (Vectron Monitor)

On a 2019 Classic 30', pop off the right lower panel under the hall closet. Look for the blue box, feel around on the left rear of the blue box, you will feel a tiny rectangular plug the same size as the plug on the dongle you ordered. Unplug old plug from back (your gauge behind the range will no longer work), open the app on your phone, plug in the new dongle (it is keyed to only plug in one direction so the fact that you can't see what you are doing is only a minor inconvenience), pair the app and the dongle, RTFM.
Old 05-29-2019, 06:17 AM   #25
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

An alternative is to buy the dongle from PKYS:

https://search-api.swiftype.com/api/...le_p_3796.html

The advantage is that you have Peter to call if there is a gotcha with hooking it up. I also believe that Best Converters is getting into the Victron gear end of things. Same logic, better to have somebody to call.

You *could* also replace the entire solar charger with the "smart" version......

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 10:55 AM   #26
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
We are soon-to-be owners of a 2019 30 Classic with the standard factory (1K watt inverter, 2 panel) solar kit installed. I have been doing research on the whole solar thing, mapped out our expected needs, and at this point I am still in the headache phase trying to sort out solar. But our goal is to be able, comfortably, to do way more been docking than we have (although we have done a lot).

Let me just say I am as far from an engineer as one could be, so answers should be like you were explaining solar to a German Sheppard (no offense to German Sheppards).

We will always travel with a generator (Honda 3000), but want to use it sparingly, for things like AC, hair dryers and such big power draws while boon docking. I want to walk before I run - and get some real experience under our belt, but maybe take some initial steps down this path.

Questions:

1. From all I have read and understood, it seems apparent I probably want to upgrade the converter to a 2 or 3K inverter. Is there any harm (other than cost differential) in buying a (possibly) larger inverter than what our current needs are predicted?

2. I am considering Lithium batteries as a part of that first step, mostly because of the researched benefits. Again, other than cost, is there a harm or benefit to going to, say, a 200Ah battery over a 100Ah battery?

TIA!
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 02:58 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
We opted for a complete solar overhaul which cost a pretty penny but it’s a game changer. We can run all of our system without shore power which includes microwave, acs, and hair dryer.

We have a 3k inverter and 400ah of lithium with 6 panels on the roof though.

Your 200w stock system is basically only good to keep the batteries topped off with minimal electric usage and full sun. If you could just swap out inverter and batteries, your panels may not be able to even charge the batteries completely? Just my .02

You’re gonna wanna check to ensure your factory equipment can take it all and factor charger can charge lithium vs AGM vs wet depending on what your system currently is and what you’re going to. I don’t think it’s as simple as just swapping things out but I am no expert either.

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 07:53 AM   #28
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilesrob View Post
We are soon-to-be owners of a 2019 30 Classic with the standard factory (1K watt inverter, 2 panel) solar kit installed. I have been doing research on the whole solar thing, mapped out our expected needs, and at this point I am still in the headache phase trying to sort out solar. But our goal is to be able, comfortably, to do way more been docking than we have (although we have done a lot).

Let me just say I am as far from an engineer as one could be, so answers should be like you were explaining solar to a German Sheppard (no offense to German Sheppards).

We will always travel with a generator (Honda 3000), but want to use it sparingly, for things like AC, hair dryers and such big power draws while boon docking. I want to walk before I run - and get some real experience under our belt, but maybe take some initial steps down this path.

Questions:

1. From all I have read and understood, it seems apparent I probably want to upgrade the converter to a 2 or 3K inverter. Is there any harm (other than cost differential) in buying a (possibly) larger inverter than what our current needs are predicted?

2. I am considering Lithium batteries as a part of that first step, mostly because of the researched benefits. Again, other than cost, is there a harm or benefit to going to, say, a 200Ah battery over a 100Ah battery?

TIA!
Hi

Without a much bigger battery bank the bigger inverter really is not of much use. Even *with* 400 AH of lithium, the amount of time we use the converter is very small.

Looking at the Victron lineup, the 3KW is the obvious choice. It's only downside is that it is a bit bigger. Look at how each will fit and then make a decision.

You very much want lithiums from a trusted source. They need to have an integrated BMS and be well built. That quickly narrows down the choices. I would toss in another constraint of "I don't want to be a beta tester", but that's just me.

Bigger batteries may be harder to fit in. Again, work out where they will go before making any decisions. There is no downside to a 400 or 600 AH bank made from 2 or 3 200 AH batteries compared to the same made from 4 or 6 100 AH batteries.

Fun !!

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 08:13 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Crested Butte , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilesrob View Post
Questions:

2. I am considering Lithium batteries as a part of that first step, mostly because of the researched benefits. Again, other than cost, is there harm or benefit to going to, say, a 200Ah battery over a 100Ah battery?

TIA!
There is no problem installing a larger inverter than you need except for price and size. I have a 2019 Classic 30 like you. When you go to a larger converter you will need to relocate the converter. A larger converter won't fit in the 1000w converters location. That means a lot of rewiring. I am not a proponent of spending money unnecessarily so that means looking forward and trying to determine what you will need and then if you wish to do a stepwise install, trying to only do each step once.
My Classic has three panels on the roof. Check that yours really has two. That doesn't seem correct and it is important. My factory system uses a three-way combiner on the roof and was prewired with #8 wire from the roof to the solar charging controller. I was able to use a two into one connector from the OEM supplier to add three OEM panels on the roof and use the existing combiner and wiring. Several people will probably point out that I should have #6 wire from the combiner to the charger. Truth but I have never seen anything close to a 100% charging rate from my panels.

Batteries will again present you will a number of opportunities to spend lots of money. You will need a charger/inverter that can charge lithium batteries. You will be faced with decisions about where to fit the batteries. There will be rewiring and other incidental equipment to purchase. You might note as you do research on the forum that most people use four or six 100 Ahr batteries. There are lots of reasons that many people arrive at the same answer from various directions. Rather than write an op-ed piece here I suggest you do your own research.

There are several folks on the forum that design and install solar on RVs for a living. Lew Farber, 4rvsolar@gmail.com, is well known and respected on this forum. Reach out to him. He gives his time very generously and can help you steer the course you desire.