Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2021, 09:50 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Traverse City , Michigan
Adding a Macerator

Has anyone added a macerator to their unit. We have a 30 Classic. Its our first trailer after 30 years of motorhoming. Wed come to appreciate the easy dumping with the macerator. Im curious if others have done so and the approximate financial investment.
Old 04-18-2021, 10:16 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
If you have 12" of space between your hose connection and the outside edge of your trailer, a place to hang/brace it (usually by U-Clamp), room to store the hose, and a 20A power source, and it won't block operation of your dump valves, then you can twist one on your existing plumbing.

Perhaps a 90 degree can be used in between if you need to position the macerator longitudinally. Also, "box-type" macerators can be found with flexible hose connection that can ease installation.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 10:24 AM   #3
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Based on my own experience with macerator pumps, I would never add one to an RV. I tolerate the one we have in our current RV (Airstream Interstate), but in the grand scheme of things, a macerator is just one more thing go go wrong, break down, and cost money in repairs. Gravity dump is simpler, and if our Interstate van had a gravity dump instead of a macerator, I would be that much happier.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 10:37 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
If you are thinking using one 'onboard', like on a boat, it has its pluses and minuses. They will typically use more water and power, an issue if boondocking is a priority. We had one in our 26U, you might want to look up some of the 26U threads. 'Dumping' the slurry was a lot faster/easier than any of our other trailers. Externally, I've seen them used but for me it appears to be just another large item that has to be clean stored and carried. I'm not familiar with any that have been permanently mounted to the trailer on the dump side of the black/grey tanks.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 11:25 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Bugtussle , Oklahoma
This Flojet unit works really well: https://www.campingworld.com/flojet-...kit-26125.html
I use it primarily for pumping from the street to the sewer clean out in my back yard. Pumps 75 ft with an 8 foot elevation gain. Great for weekend boondocking. Regular gravity dumping is a little faster, so that's my first choice if I have access to a dump station.
Old 04-20-2021, 08:56 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Traverse City , Michigan
Thank for all your responses and input. I would surmise that although it was wonderful in our motorhomes, not so much in an Airstream.