Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2023, 10:18 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2023 28' Pottery Barn
Alexandria , Virginia
2024 Classic?

We have a 2023 Pottery Barn and I’m perhaps in the minority: I don’t like it. Our dogs do, but that’s a different story.

We’re now thinking about a 2024 30 Classic. We’re doing a cross country trip as I type and the PB isn’t cutting it. The Classic’s extra 4’, additional storage, ultra leather seating surfaces (dogs) and recliners that turn into a bed are all very appealing. So is the 10 ft fridge and skinny pantry. What we don’t know are the downsides (there are always downsides!) and would really appreciate input from folks who have a Classic.

Any thoughts would be welcome. Thanks!
Old 10-13-2023, 01:04 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
There are a ton of threads about this. Technology has a slight learning curve to almost everything. Once it’s all dialed in though the classic is amazing.

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 01:35 PM   #3

2024 30' Classic
Venice , Florida
We originally thought and put money down on a 2024 PB and after thinking more we decided the Classic 30 had what we needed so we switched our order. Now she is thinking a portable washing machine.
Philcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 04:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
If I ever sold my 26' (god forbid) I'd get a Classic 30 to full time.
My big fear would be the Alde heating system.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 08:35 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2023 33' Classic
Manassas , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
If I ever sold my 26' (god forbid) I'd get a Classic 30 to full time.
My big fear would be the Alde heating system.
Gotta say though, in our Classic 33 the Alde system has been amazing. I’ve actually got nothing but good things to say about it. The heat is silent. There are no blowers running…no drafts…it’s blissfully silent. On balance, there’s no more maintenance than a traditional system either, but it is different. The systems are very popular in Europe. And there is a little learning of a curve, but not too bad. This though from someone who grew up with a British sports car with all its idiosyncrasies.
InvertdEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 10:01 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvertdEagle View Post
Gotta say though, in our Classic 33 the Alde system has been amazing. I’ve actually got nothing but good things to say about it. The heat is silent. There are no blowers running…no drafts…it’s blissfully silent. On balance, there’s no more maintenance than a traditional system either, but it is different. The systems are very popular in Europe. And there is a little learning of a curve, but not too bad. This though from someone who grew up with a British sports car with all its idiosyncrasies.
Second on the Alde, we camped in Ohio on a cross country in 14F air temp, and wouldn't ever have another trailer without it.
beachrats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 04:52 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2023 27' Globetrotter
Winder , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSxyWhtGuy View Post
There are a ton of threads about this. Technology has a slight learning curve to almost everything. Once it’s all dialed in though the classic is amazing.
As Big Sexy Says, search the forums for any and everything Classic. The layout, floorplans, and fit and finish are great, but the technology seems to be the Achilles Heel. Specifically Alde and CZone. I know 2 people personally who have had Classics and dumped them for this very reason. One of these was a good friend of mine and his trailer sat in the dealer's lot for months. They just couldn't fix teh CZone. It was such a bad experience that he just gave up on Airstream and got another brand.

We just recently upgraded to a Globetrotter and are very happy with it. We stayed away from the Classics for the very reasons I mention above.
Bcc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 05:57 AM   #8
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
plus voter for the Classic

We have a 2015, have traveled with it extensively, and have been very happy with it. We're not tech savvy, so intimidated by technology in the newer units. But we felt the Classic layout worked the best for us. If you're comfortable with working with all the tech stuff, I'm saying you'll be very happy with the Classic. Our only hiccup comes from the Zip Dee Relax awning, and there are plenty of threads and comments on that
rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 07:09 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2022 33' Classic
Minneapolis , Minnesota
I’ve gathered from reading here that the *first* version of the Alde in the Classics was not a great experience.

The Alde in our 2023 Classic has been flawless for heating, hot water and continuous hot water. We have spent months in the trailer in all sorts of weather including a couple hands-full of nights that bottomed out in the high-teens.

It’s a complicated piece of engineering, though. Could I repair it in the field? No, not with spare parts I’d want to buy for “just in case”, anyway. Will it have a problem someday. Probably. It seems to me that for a lot of people — sure, not all — it going to be a good experience.

So, *second* Alde version is good so far.

M & K
BreadNCircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 09:04 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Frederick , Maryland
I will say that we moved up from a 27' FC FBT and we really love our 30' Classic layout much better. My wife likes the "fancy" stuff, too. I am leery of the CZone and Alde (I prefer analog and simple), but we haven't had any actual problems in one year of use so I can't complain. The Alde heat system is great, for sure; quiet and effective heating when we camped down to about 25 degrees (and the tank heaters worked well, too). Ours is a 2020 but someone else had it for two years before us and perhaps had worked out any bugs it may have had.

Good luck!
DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 08:44 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2023 28' Pottery Barn
Alexandria , Virginia
Thank you!

Thank you all for your insight. We’ve been traveling since my initial post and I’ve been remiss in acknowledging your help…
We decided to sell the PB and buy a 2018-2019 1/2 30’ Classic: they’re pre-Covid, still have the systems and tech we (I) want, and offer the darker wood tones that we love. Hopefully we’ll have sold and bought by late spring.

A few of y’all seem to live in our neck of the woods. We look forward to meeting you somewhere down the road!
Old 11-20-2023, 04:55 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Frederick , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilBird View Post

A few of y’all seem to live in our neck of the woods. We look forward to meeting you somewhere down the road!
Not far for sure! We tend to camp in western MD, Northern VA (shenandoah or lake anna state parks), occasionally the eastern shore, and then down to SC for the holidays.

Best of luck with the buy and sell.
DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 07:20 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Oak Park , Illinois
Quote:
there’s no more maintenance than a traditional system either
I am not sure this is entirely accurate. The Alde has fluid replacement cycles and my understanding is that the fluid is not inexpensive and must be done a few times per decade.

https://www.alde.co.uk/faq/

How often should I replace my heating fluid?

Heating fluid using an Alde-approved antifreeze should be replaced after 5 years.

The US Alde site seems a bit more vague on this answer.

The approved fluid costs about $127 +/- per bottle:

https://woodlandairstreamparts.com/p...on-360371-301c

According to what I've read, the system takes about 3 gallons after a proper flush out using about 15 gallons of distilled water. Doing it yourself, if the processes that I've read are accurate, in today's dollars would be roughly $450 every 5 or so years (not including one time price of pump, fittings, etc to do the procedure). I have never had to do anything to any of my Atwood forced air furnace or tank water heater but provide it large amounts of LP, and though water heating is far better there is maintenance that must be done, even on home water heating systems, and RVs I feel from what I've read are no different.

Here is a post of a person completing the procedure:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f54...iy-231968.html
sfranklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 01:24 PM   #14

2022 Interstate 19
Santa Barbara , California
What is the Tank Heater on the CZone Multiplex, and when should it be activated? Thx
SSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 03:47 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2024 30' Classic
North Andover , Massachusetts
We have a 24 RBQ. Wish we got the twins. Very happy with the rest. Daughter came to visit and said the flat couch was very comfortable.
c3man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 03:48 PM   #16

2024 30' Classic
Tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
I have had no complaints about the Aldi. Especially for temperatures below 40.

Michael
Mickhanna73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 08:22 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2023 28' Pottery Barn
Alexandria , Virginia
Classic purchased

After reading your comments as well as a zillion others, we decided on a 2019 Classic 30RBT. She’s absolutely beautiful! FWIW, our first foray went smoothly: everything worked as expected, and the additional length really made a difference. We’re looking forward to years of grand adventures!