Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2023, 03:40 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Jonesboro , Arkansas
2023 Classic upgrades

I am not certain if this is the correct place to ask the question?

I am scheduled for a some work on my 2023 Classic 30' in late September with Vinnie at AirKrafters. My current plan is to do the following:

400ah Lithium
800 watts of solar
3000 watt inverter
AirKrafter jenRAK kit w Cummins/Onan 2500i generator
Softstart on both ac's
3” lift
Spare tire relocation
Ceramic Coat

Is there anything else I should consider doing or is there anything I should consider doing differently?

Thanks in advance,
Greg

WBCCI #8996
ghaag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 04:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Kingston , Washington
Sounds good. Just curious, where do they relocate the spare tire to?
10Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 05:30 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Smiles View Post
Sounds good. Just curious, where do they relocate the spare tire to?
If I understand correctly, it is gets moved behind the axle.

WBCCI #8996
Old 07-31-2023, 10:17 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Frederick , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaag View Post

I am scheduled for a some work on my 2023 Classic 30' in late September with Vinnie at AirKrafters. My current plan is to do the following:

400ah Lithium
800 watts of solar
3000 watt inverter
Softstart on both ac's
3” lift
Spare tire relocation
Ceramic Coat

Is there anything else I should consider doing or is there anything I should consider doing differently?

Thanks in advance,
Greg
This (minus the ceramic coat) is basically my to-do list when I retire and move west.
DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 02:20 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2024 30' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Quote:

400ah Lithium
800 watts of solar
3000 watt inverter
Softstart on both ac's
3” lift
Spare tire relocation
Ceramic Coat

Thanks in advance,
Greg

If you have a need to improve air conditioning performance, the AirKrafters “erPOD” ac registers look interesting. Expensive.
FredWilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 11:04 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Austin , Texas
Curious why you want to relocate the spare tire. Before a trip a couple years ago, I wanted to make sure that I knew how retrieve the spare tire. I found it quite easy actually after watching an Airstream Life video. The only thing I really want to do to you 7 year old Classic is to sort out a way to convert the twins to a large bed (retaining the ability to keep the twins too). Convert on long trips, keep twins on short ones. I'm sure there are many posts on something that will provide some inspiration.
caseywsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 01:07 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2024 30' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseywsj View Post
Curious why you want to relocate the spare tire. Before a trip a couple years ago, I wanted to make sure that I knew how retrieve the spare tire. I found it quite easy actually after watching an Airstream Life video. The only thing I really want to do to you 7 year old Classic is to sort out a way to convert the twins to a large bed (retaining the ability to keep the twins too). Convert on long trips, keep twins on short ones. I'm sure there are many posts on something that will provide some inspiration.

Moving the spare tire aft of the axles takes considerable weight off the tongue and therefore reduces load on the TV. Airkrafters make a nice mounting kit for this.
FredWilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 02:49 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Kingston , Washington
I believe the spare is being moved because the generator goes where the factory spare is located.
10Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 09:27 AM   #9
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

There are a lot of "bits and pieces" that go into this, For now, I'm assuming they are already in the mix.

How much have you used the trailer at this point?

What is the "use case" that drives each modification?

Ignoring the credit card for a bit, there are always going to be tradeoffs on this sort of thing.

Lift is great for crazy roads / campsites. It also means that bottom step is way up in the air. You now haul along a "step stool" to deal with that. (I have data on this ....).

200AH of lithium is ok, 400AH of lithium is fine, 800AH is more fine. This is very much a "use case" question. Better to work that out *before* you dive into this.

800W of solar may block this or that on the roof. They also may be shaded by stuff that's up there. Just what compromises are you getting into?

Generator is a nice thing to have along. In 6+ years of camping many months in a typical year, we have *never* fired up the generator. Not in the trailer and not in the van. Again, a use case issue.

3KW inverter is cool. It also may be a bit large to fit here or there. Is a 2KW going to do the trick?

How much weight does this all add? I'd suggest doing that math. You do have payload "room" on the Classic, still you need to do the math.

No, I'm not saying any of these are a bad idea.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 09:40 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2021 30RB Classic
West Sacramento , California
Generator

Sounds good.

IMHO, the generator is problematic because 1. The spare under the axles…you prepared to crawl under your AS to lower the tire, drag it out and then put the bad one back? 2. Having suffered several road damage hits during this years. 9.3k mile trip, I see the generator as a major scooper of road debris.

FWIW, consider a 50A DC to DC converter, charging your batteries with generator you already have?

Only if I was a serious boondock RF would I consider the generator

Best of luck
pboomerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 07:20 AM   #11
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Ok, let's go over some of the "what's in the mix already" stuff:

1) The 3KW inverter is actually something like a Multiplus that is a hybrid inverter / charger. You get about 80A of charge current into the batteries as a result.

2) There is a shunt based battery monitor (like a BMV-712 going in along with the batteries.

3) You are getting a DC/DC converter installed, maybe 18A, maybe something more exotic.

4) There's a solar charger coming with the solar panels. It's sized to handle more than 800W in and all the cabling is sized that way as well.

5) The gear can all be monitored with a phone and possibly with a central "wall mount" gizmo. At the very least, the Multiplus needs some sort of control panel.

6) You have or are getting an EMS to protect the input to the trailer when on shore power.

7) You have though through the fuel consumption information on the generator and may be adding another fuel tank.

8) You are adding some sort of full disconnect function to the trailer to keep the batteries safe in storage.

All this on top of tradeoffs between features ( like another battery or four vs this or that).

Bob
Old 08-14-2023, 07:07 PM   #12
Texas Toaster

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Smithville , Texas
Quote:

400ah Lithium
800 watts of solar
3000 watt inverter
Softstart on both ac's
3” lift
Spare tire relocation
Ceramic Coat

Thanks in advance,
Greg
The only other thing I would recommend is the 3” lift kit on the axel. Really helped me with dragging the rear end pulling into some gas stations and during off pavements trips.
MarkW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 07:43 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Looks good!

Greg, I see this isn’t your first AS so obviously you know your “use case” better than anyone else. You must have your reasons to go with the upgrades, more power to you (pun intended).

I got to meet Vinnie at the Fryeburg International Rally and see the AirKrafter’s generator. Really cool unit and very well engineered as well as the relocated spare setup. It eliminates the need to carry a generator in the tow vehicle and worry about it disappearing.

You’ll have a rig ready to go off-grid to BLM land or ride out an extended power outage at home. Have to say I’m a bit envious of all the upgrades. Not for everyone but it’s your trailer! Enjoy and let us know how it turns out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	68037524472__93352D50-7619-4635-B6AD-60680F3F7DC8.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	339.7 KB
ID:	435460  
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 06:50 AM   #14
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkW View Post
The only other thing I would recommend is the 3” lift kit on the axel. Really helped me with dragging the rear end pulling into some gas stations and during off pavements trips.
Hi

In this case, the lift kit is pretty much mandatory. If you put the generator under the trailer, you have to lift it to get back the clearance you had before.

The interesting point is that this is just in the vicinity of the generator "up front". You still get the benefit at the rear end when exiting those gas stations.

What you don't get is a clearance boost when going the other way ( = a situation you drag the front of the trailer). Fortunately those aren't what most people have run into over the years.

Bob
Old 08-15-2023, 02:45 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Livermore , California
DC-DC chargers

Quote:

400ah Lithium
800 watts of solar
3000 watt inverter
Softstart on both ac's
3” lift
Spare tire relocation
Ceramic Coat

Thanks in advance,
Greg
hiya Greg, looks like you are set. I would add my favorite is DC-DC charger.
https://www.redarcelectronics.com/us...attery-charger

BCDC 1250D is the one I am using. note : It is also used as a charge controller.

Vinnie just completed the Ceramic Coat and lift. All the others and more that you have mentioned. I have been looking at the gen you are installing. If possible, get you to take tongue weight before installation and after to see if it decreases or increases when adding airkrafters gen setup. Vinnie has such a tongue scale if you do not. My concern is the installation would push me over the edge on tongue weight. I attached a picture of someone mounting a Honda Gen to the receiver, which is cool but not as good as Airkrafters. The only time I need a generator is to use both Airconditioners, and it was a hot summer so that happened a few times.

Best of luck with your installation. I also get a Maxxair installed above your vent.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Airstream_2200s.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	435496  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf REDARC-BCDC-Brochure-v1622592890496.pdf (2.10 MB, 30 views)
ASFC25_2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 09:48 AM   #16

2023 33' Classic
Virginia Beach , VA
Generator install

Just curious how much is the generator install? What can you run off that generator? Very interesting
David0406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2024, 12:22 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2021 30RB Classic
2023 27' Globetrotter
Sproat Lake , British Columbia
I would like to have the following:

Switch Panel overlay/decal with contrast lettering. I can't read the stock labels in any light, always just go to the main screen or use from memory.
Old 06-25-2024, 06:12 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by David0406 View Post
Just curious how much is the generator install? What can you run off that generator? Very interesting
David, there are a few things involved to install the generator. The kit includes a 3" lift kit and spare tire relocation. They will also install the soft starts and wiring to support the system. I do not know what the cost are today, but last year it was around 12K. I did not get to take my camper down to Tallahassee, my father-in-law passed away when I was scheduled to go. I hope to get this upgrade later this year.

WBCCI #8996
Old 06-25-2024, 06:18 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASFC25_2019 View Post
hiya Greg, looks like you are set. I would add my favorite is DC-DC charger.
https://www.redarcelectronics.com/us...attery-charger

BCDC 1250D is the one I am using. note : It is also used as a charge controller.

Vinnie just completed the Ceramic Coat and lift. All the others and more that you have mentioned. I have been looking at the gen you are installing. If possible, get you to take tongue weight before installation and after to see if it decreases or increases when adding airkrafters gen setup. Vinnie has such a tongue scale if you do not. My concern is the installation would push me over the edge on tongue weight. I attached a picture of someone mounting a Honda Gen to the receiver, which is cool but not as good as Airkrafters. The only time I need a generator is to use both Airconditioners, and it was a hot summer so that happened a few times.

Best of luck with your installation. I also get a Maxxair installed above your vent.
Thank you for the insight!

WBCCI #8996
Old 06-25-2024, 06:32 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmc306 View Post
Greg, I see this isn’t your first AS so obviously you know your “use case” better than anyone else. You must have your reasons to go with the upgrades, more power to you (pun intended).

I got to meet Vinnie at the Fryeburg International Rally and see the AirKrafter’s generator. Really cool unit and very well engineered as well as the relocated spare setup. It eliminates the need to carry a generator in the tow vehicle and worry about it disappearing.

You’ll have a rig ready to go off-grid to BLM land or ride out an extended power outage at home. Have to say I’m a bit envious of all the upgrades. Not for everyone but it’s your trailer! Enjoy and let us know how it turns out.
Thank you! Yes, I am on my 3rd Airstream. My path was probably the reverse of most, started with a 45' motor home in the 90's then dropped down to a 40' then to 25' Safari, 30 Flying Cloud and now the 30' Classic. We found that our style of camping was a bit too remote at times to get a motorhome into and we wanted to do a lot dry camping at places like the image below. Also, we just really like the aesthetic's of the Airstream.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot 2024-06-25 at 7.26.47 AM.png
Views:	5
Size:	1.89 MB
ID:	444658  

WBCCI #8996