Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2023, 02:07 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2022 33' Classic
Chesapeake , Virginia
2022 Airstream Classic 33FB - disappointed

I thought it was time to share our experience with our ’22 Classic 33FB. We picked it up in NJ last June, and have just put over 10,000 miles on it. We just returned from a trip to Utah, NM, AZ and Nevada. We loved the west. We lucked out on the weather the whole way. Saw some snow, but did not have to travel in it. My wife and I have high expectations, and were let down with this RV, for the price paid. I would appreciate other owners’ experiences, as we are considering moving to a more robust RV, since we want to explore Alaska next year. Some of these issues may be user error on our part, and we accept that.

1. Bathroom cabinets. When we looked at our Classic 33 in February ’22, we pointed out a small discrepancy in the bathroom cabinet door pulls. The pulls were not level. During pickup later in June, the problem had not been addressed, and a tech was trying to “fix” the handles. That did not work, so new doors were ordered from the factory, and we had warranty work done in February 2023. The new doors look great, handles are level, but there is a gap between the doors, while the originals had none. We had other work done at this time, and I will not go back for any more.

2. Coleman Mach 8 AC unit. While in NJ receiving warranty work, we wanted Easy Starts installed on both AC units. Dealer informed us front AC was bad, compressor would not start. Dealer installed Easy Start on rear unit. We had to schedule time to get the AC unit evaluated, and then get the paperwork submitted. Doing that this month with a local RV dealer that works with Air Excel.

3. Alde. Provides great, consistent, quiet heat. Worked fine in Utah with overnight temps in the teens. A few forum members here said the same thing before we went out west. Only one issue - I had a gas failure early on. I attribute it to not opening both LP tanks, as I have not had the problem again. To clear the code, I removed the forward dinette bench to access the wiring on the Alde, and removed the power wires. The fault cleared. I’m sure there is an easier way.

4. Wardrobe sliding doors. After driving through the horrible roads in Atlanta (never again), the wardrobe doors rattled out. We attempted repairs in a campground in Georgia, and re-glued the Trola rolling hardware. We ended up having to use vinyl wedges to keep the doors in the tracks for travel. I believe the entire frame is crooked, as there are gaps at the top and bottom of the doors. Poor design, and poor execution, cheap parts. If we keep the trailer, we will install some cabinetry, and add one pull type door similar to the rest in the bathroom.

5. Overhead cabinet over recliner sofas. In Big Bend, noticed the cabinet was pulling away from the wall. Opened the doors, and noticed some of the four screws had loosened or fallen out. Screws were #10, pan head, like a wood screw. Would not grab when re-inserted. Purchased some lag bolts in a hardware store in Terlingua. Installed two in each cabinet (4 total). Three of these were loose when we returned home yesterday, and I tightened them. Poor design. The screws need to be larger than #10, and there needs to be flat stock in the wall to attach them. This cabinet is heavy, as it holds the projector.

6. Wall moulding came loose. The bathroom wall moulding on the driver side worked loose. Still have to try to repair this. Would love some hints.

7. WFCO converter. Early one morning during our time in Colorado Springs, we were awakened by the Norcold DC fridge low battery alarm. Alde was also showing a low battery warning. The Battleborns were down to 38% SOC, voltage down to ~10.6V. Troubleshot problem to the WFCO converter. I moved the truck into position to charge via the 7 pin cable to get the SOC up. No solar due to 2 inches of snow on panels. Troubleshooting with a tech via Coach Net, the tech insisted I check the reverse polarity fuses. Very hard to access, can only do by feel. Pulled both fuses, both checked good. Could not get lower fuse re-installed, but converter starting working again. Called WFCO for tech advice, but they only told me to check to ensure it was bad, then to fill out forms on their site, to send it back under warranty. Could not speak to a tech or engineer, or get a schematic. After reading other experiences online, I will likely buy a Progressive Dynamics unit and replace it myself. I did have advance warning of the discharge, and did not pay attention. While flushing the macerator toilet, and running the water pump, the overhead LED ceiling lights flickered. I did not investigate, and do not remember looking at the CZone panel to see the SOC. At present, the converter will work for 5 minutes or five hours, if hit hard enough in the right spot. Intermittent problem.

We have a slot scheduled at Jackson Center in mid-October to fix our screen door after the first fix failed. The list is growing, to address at least what I will not be repairing. We have three trips planned before that visit. We don’t know if these problems are par for the course, and don’t know if there are more robust trailers out there. it’s not fun to have to fix stuff at every stop.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wardrobe doors.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	197.0 KB
ID:	430576   Click image for larger version

Name:	Loose moulding.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	262.3 KB
ID:	430577  

Name:	upper cabinet gap.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	275.0 KB
ID:	430578  
BGClassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 03:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I don’t care what RV a person owns but the reality is you need to be handy and a bit independent. I agree with that some things could be better designed and fastened more robustly. You are in the ownership phase of “working the bugs out”. It will get better . I personally don’t like the idea of RV’s with too much technology. It is easier to fix simple trailers on the road.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 03:49 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2022 33' Classic
Chesapeake , Virginia
I agree with the handy part, and have no problem with that. The way cabinets attach is low tech. Our biggest gripe is the price point, and the quality. I might have an older AS if I had at the place to work on it.
Old 04-23-2023, 06:37 AM   #4
JDG
Riveted

2018 33' Classic
Charleston , West Virginia
BGClassic.

I feel your pain. We have a 2018 33 Classic. Many of the same issues but all fixable and as already stated its “getting the bugs out”. Totally agree with price vs quality but I am afraid we are living in different times now. I had the experience of picking up a new aircraft costing over $64 Million dollars and it had many issues as well. Sounds like a lot of yours could have/should have been corrected by your dealer but obviously they were not. I have had Alde issues but have all been resolved and we love it. Had to replace front AC but it was under the warranty (went with 15K BTU unit instead of 13K BTU which was standard at the time). Replaced/reinforced cabinets above recliners with more rivets in the mounting bracket. Closet doors have been stiff to operate but I think that is a better trade off then having them come off the track going down the road. Zip Dee awning quit on us twice prior to retraction for Thunderstorm. Had to crank in by hand. Not fun. Turns out the control for it is behind the toilet in the 33. Remove lower cabinet with 4 screws and found loose connection on snap in type connector. No more issues. I have spoken with several Class A owners of very expensive coaches only to be surprised by many of the same type issues. Quality certainly has room for improvement, however, when you think of the impact from traveling down the road at 60-70 MPH it is pretty amazing. Things have to have some flexibility. Hang in there and know once you get the bugs out you will enjoy. At least that is what I found.
JDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 07:33 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2022 33' Classic
Chesapeake , Virginia
JDG,

Thanks for sharing the pain! Would love to know the details on your fix of the overhead cabinets. I assume the cabinet has to come down to reinforce the mount? I am reluctant to drill in the blind, without knowing what is behind that spot.

Did you do anything to your wardrobe doors? Thanks for the tip on the Zip Dee awning. I guess I will have to do a dry run with the manual crank.

I guess we are living in different times now. I do understand the roads cause a lot of damage.

Bill
Old 04-23-2023, 09:12 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I have taken cabinets down in my older Airstream and installed a new sheet of aluminum. I was surprised that it was only a few screws holding it up. If your putting in extra screws try find a rib to fasten to and of course common sense tells us to keep the real heavy items in lower cabinets. A #10 x 3/4” screw works depending upon the thickness of the cabinet. If I recall there is 1 1/2” between the inner and outer layer of aluminum. If you drilling a new hole put a stop on your bit so you don’t go too far.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 09:20 AM   #7
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Spend some time chatting with your neighbors in various campgrounds. I think you will find it difficult to identify *any* RV brand that does not have various issues.

Best advice I can think of (regardless of the RV you have): slow down when on rough roads. If you are headed to Alaska, it's vital you get that part dialed in ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 09:38 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Tucson , Arizona
Trip to Alaska

Having been to Alaska twice in the last three years with two different RVs but not an airstream. I experienced lots of different problems that had to be fixed on the road.

Our 19 foot dual axle trailer had shelves fall out and drawers break as well as the heater going out. On a subsequent trip back east, a weld broke on the suspension, causing me to replace four tires. Fortunately, we caught it just before it wore through the propane line. That would’ve been a very difficult repair had it happened on the road to Alaska.

Our most recent trip was in a 28 foot class C pulling our jeep. If you think the roads are bad in Atlanta, try the roads in Alaska. There were a couple of times we disconnected the jeep because the roads were so full of potholes. We couldn’t trust that the jeep would stay attached, and it was easier to maneuver the class C around the potholes without worrying about the jeep.

On both trips, having a separate vehicle to tool around in was awesome. I would highly recommend either pulling a trailer or pulling a Towed.

Our next trip I may do as my dad did and leave the nice RVs at home and take a refurbished Airstream. He redid a 1966 Overlander for his second trip to Alaska and was glad he did. He was intimately aware of all of the issues with the trailer and took along pieces and parts that he thought he would need.
Hikingsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 09:43 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2022 33' Classic
Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
I have taken cabinets down in my older Airstream and installed a new sheet of aluminum. I was surprised that it was only a few screws holding it up. If your putting in extra screws try find a rib to fasten to and of course common sense tells us to keep the real heavy items in lower cabinets. A #10 x 3/4” screw works depending upon the thickness of the cabinet. If I recall there is 1 1/2” between the inner and outer layer of aluminum. If you drilling a new hole put a stop on your bit so you don’t go too far.
Thanks. Shocked that your older unit was not built better than the new ones. AS used 2 inch pan head (#10 or so) screws, not enough to bear the weight, as the projector is mounted below it. These screws are used throughout in the cabinets. I thought a piece of flat stock aluminum running the length may be a good fix. Have to mount to the ribs.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	upper cabinet gap.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	189.9 KB
ID:	430604   Click image for larger version

Name:	upper cabinet - inside.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	430605  

Old 04-23-2023, 09:50 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2022 33' Classic
Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikingsolo View Post
Having been to Alaska twice in the last three years with two different RVs but not an airstream. I experienced lots of different problems that had to be fixed on the road.

Our 19 foot dual axle trailer had shelves fall out and drawers break as well as the heater going out. On a subsequent trip back east, a weld broke on the suspension, causing me to replace four tires. Fortunately, we caught it just before it wore through the propane line. That would’ve been a very difficult repair had it happened on the road to Alaska.

Our most recent trip was in a 28 foot class C pulling our jeep. If you think the roads are bad in Atlanta, try the roads in Alaska. There were a couple of times we disconnected the jeep because the roads were so full of potholes. We couldn’t trust that the jeep would stay attached, and it was easier to maneuver the class C around the potholes without worrying about the jeep.

On both trips, having a separate vehicle to tool around in was awesome. I would highly recommend either pulling a trailer or pulling a Towed.

Our next trip I may do as my dad did and leave the nice RVs at home and take a refurbished Airstream. He redid a 1966 Overlander for his second trip to Alaska and was glad he did. He was intimately aware of all of the issues with the trailer and took along pieces and parts that he thought he would need.
Interesting. Glad you didn't sever the propane line, that trip may have ended differently. We are still considering taking a different trailer to Alaska, hence my earlier post. Just don't know what that model may be.
Old 04-23-2023, 10:13 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
I'm glad you're going to Jackson Center, wish it was sooner; and wish you'd always gone to them with your issues, all of them under your warranty until 2025. There is only one dealer that I trust with my rig - maybe even more than I trust JC - and that is Northwest Adventures Airstream near Boise, ID.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 10:38 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2022 33' Classic
Chesapeake , Virginia
PatLee,

Wish we were as well. We had trips planned this year, and then the wait to get into JC drove us to the October appointment. My concern with JC repairing the cabinet is that they will likely only repair it to original standards. We had a poor service experience with our NJ dealer, and they are 340 miles away. The Richmond dealer is two hours away, but has poor reviews, and I have heard other Airstreamers say the same. Plus, they are owned by Camping World.

At least AS (via my dealer) has sent me parts to accomplish a few repairs.
Old 04-23-2023, 10:51 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Queen Creek , Arizona
Angry 2 Cents

I really do not like hearing that every RV has it's problems. This is an RV double the price of most of the others. Scream bloody murder at Thor/Airstream. Poor craftsmanship is NOT acceptable for any product, never mind one that costs twice what others cost.
QC TORPEDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 11:03 AM   #14
MSL
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Sharon , Massachusetts
Yes, They Go Down the Highway!

I have a 2019 Sport 22, so I spent probably 1/3 what you (OP) paid. The problems don't stop. I was out at Jackson Center twice, with mixed success. The last visit they neglected to tell me until I got there that they would not fix many things because they go by the manufacturer's warranty, which is 1 - 2 years in some cases. They had the list for months. One repair tech drove a screw right through the side of my cabinetry. They failed to fix the exterior door leak on two occasions.

My feeling is these things are not designed, they're just built. If I have to hear one more time that things go down the highway at 60 - 70 mph, I may have to see a therapist. They KNOW these things are going down highways. I have NEVER had anything fall off or come loose on my tow vehicle.

Here's my list for the first 2 1/2 years: 2 windows leaked, cracked dinette side panel, marker lights with trapped moisture, microwave door doesn’t open when button pressed, clear privacy panels fall out, rusted window screws, tank level monitor not working, water leak at door, axle squeak (Dexter supplied replacement), windows won’t fully close when cranked, counter angle brackets falling off, chrome pitted on sink drain, gaskets falling out of solar guards, sewer outlet bracket falling off, radio pops out of bracket, bathroom door scrapes door jamb when closing, floor squeaks, difficult to lock down awning, exterior door trim falling off, skylight leaked due to foam tape failure.

Hang in there, at least it's fun while we're travelling!

Mark
MSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 11:36 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2022 33' Classic
Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSL View Post
I have a 2019 Sport 22, so I spent probably 1/3 what you (OP) paid. The problems don't stop. I was out at Jackson Center twice, with mixed success. The last visit they neglected to tell me until I got there that they would not fix many things because they go by the manufacturer's warranty, which is 1 - 2 years in some cases. They had the list for months. One repair tech drove a screw right through the side of my cabinetry. They failed to fix the exterior door leak on two occasions.

My feeling is these things are not designed, they're just built. If I have to hear one more time that things go down the highway at 60 - 70 mph, I may have to see a therapist. They KNOW these things are going down highways. I have NEVER had anything fall off or come loose on my tow vehicle.

Here's my list for the first 2 1/2 years: 2 windows leaked, cracked dinette side panel, marker lights with trapped moisture, microwave door doesn’t open when button pressed, clear privacy panels fall out, rusted window screws, tank level monitor not working, water leak at door, axle squeak (Dexter supplied replacement), windows won’t fully close when cranked, counter angle brackets falling off, chrome pitted on sink drain, gaskets falling out of solar guards, sewer outlet bracket falling off, radio pops out of bracket, bathroom door scrapes door jamb when closing, floor squeaks, difficult to lock down awning, exterior door trim falling off, skylight leaked due to foam tape failure.

Hang in there, at least it's fun while we're travelling!

Mark
Wow, that's some list. This my worst fear, that the JC fix will only be as good as original, and we know how that worked out. That's where I am with the WFCO power converter.

On our recent repair visit in NJ, the tech trying to get the screen door aligned drilled through the door jamb and into the trim around the door. At least I have the new trim (from AS) for JC to install.

On that same visit, the service advisor noticed I had condensation in a side marker light, and it was replaced.

We enjoy the trailer, just not when we are fixing things.
Old 04-23-2023, 11:39 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2022 33' Classic
Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by QC TORPEDO View Post
I really do not like hearing that every RV has it's problems. This is an RV double the price of most of the others. Scream bloody murder at Thor/Airstream. Poor craftsmanship is NOT acceptable for any product, never mind one that costs twice what others cost.
I agree. I had a running email dialogue with the AS warranty rep until I mentioned the cabinet was falling down while we were on the road, and I asked what AS recommended I do. Crickets. So off to the hardware store I went.
Old 04-23-2023, 12:44 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Trois-Rivieres , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
I personally don’t like the idea of RV’s with too much technology. It is easier to fix simple trailers on the road.
I feel the same way. The Classic is a very attractive trailer, but my IT industry background as well as experience kick in and I see failure points.

Obviously cabinets falling from the ceiling has nothing to do with technology but for many of the other "systems", especially if they depend on a central controller/computer it's not a matter of IF but WHEN they are going to fail.

These trailers will be bouncing down the road for years (equivalent of 6 on the earthquake Richter scale-- try the I-40 west of Williams in AZ if you want to experience this). They are getting a beating that even motor vehicles don't experience, so the "keep it simple" and "easily repairable" drive my choices.

As an example, my 28' International has two ACs, which means over 10 RJ11 (telephone) connectors that are shaking and banging in the ceiling air ducts, connected to two AC electronic control boards on the roof, being whipped by rain, sleet or even snow at 60-65 mph, with temperature spreads of 80 degrees (F) or more. Over time, it's not a matter of IF but WHEN you will get a loose connection or a control board failure.

Given the importance of getting furnace to start in cold weather (we travel in the Winter as well), and given the acting up of our Dometic system, I disconnected the furnace from the Dometic t-stat, and connected it to a good old fashion White-Rogers mechanical thermostat (spring based) which works very reliably. And our Atwood (now Dometic) furnace is well known and has technology mastered by the RV industry.

We don't get the precision to the tenth of a degree of an electronic t-stat, but then I don't care for the temperature reading as I do about being comfortable and not freezing to death because of electronics acting up. Keep it simple and keep rolling.

But then again, the Classic remains a very attractive trailer...
DIY Solar: 500W Renogy panels, AM Solar hdw, Blue Sky MPPT controller, 470ah Rolls battery bank, 2000W Renogy inverter.
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 12:55 PM   #18
Retired paddler

1993 29' Excella
Brighton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGClassic View Post
it’s not fun to have to fix stuff at every stop.
Sorry to hear of your woes with your new AS. Although I agree that one has to be more than a bit of a handyman to travel with an RV, one does expect an Airstream to be a higher quality unit than most running around out there, not just a shiny bauble to imoress the neighbours from afar. Having said that, we have not had an inordinate amount of repairs to our thirty year old unit. And we’ve been all over the U.S. across the south from east to west over some of the most horrible roads I’ve ever encountered (not including some truly terrible so-called roads in Newfoundland and Labrador), from the northeast to the northwest, through B.C., Yukon and Alaska over some oilfield access roads and many forest access roads. We’ve had to replace the freshwater tank after 25 years as it just got too brittle and couldn’t be repaired. I’ve managed to stupidly back it into some immovable objects resulting in extensive sheet metal work. My only fastening complaint I’ve ever had was screws loosening on the shower trim. That’s it. For the rest of it we’re pretty lo-tech. Still run 15” Michelins on steel rims. Still use flooded cell group 27 batteries and no solar. Propane tanks are lay-down tanks that keep getting re-certified. There’s a built-in Onan generator that, although quirky, usually gets us powered up when necessary in boondocking situations. I’m not looking to trade it in any time soon.
I really hope you get your problems sorted out and learn to at least like your unit. If not I really haven’t got the experience to recommend any other product. Wishing you the best on your travels.
4mer Paddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 01:01 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
North/East , New Jersey
BG Classic.........Your 100% right about the build quality of an Airstream that costs much more than most standard RV's. Unfortunately people spend the big bucks and keep buying them and then accept the problems they have with them. And Airstream does nothing to solve the problems.
Old 04-23-2023, 01:17 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
We feel your pain

Most of us have had some frustration with poor build quality and appliances that are vendor supplied. Your one saving grace is the fine folks at Jackson Center. They are there for you with warranty repair.

That was a nice trip minus the problems a good shake down cruise. Those roads are horrible in parts of our country. I have to slow down considerable when caught in them.

I have heard the WFCO will not keep up with the charge demands, and I want to warn you that while we were at JC last fall a Classic owner wanted a Progressive installed and JC refused as they don't use it sell it or service it. With that trailer If you keep it I would make a appointment with Vinnie’s North Bay, Lew Farber or Ronnie Dennis Airstream Nuts and Bolts .Bite the bullet and have a Victron 3000 installed with 2-4 more batteries
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote