Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2020, 07:34 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2021 33FB Classic
City , West Virginia
2021 Classic quick questions

Morning - I am picking up my 2021 Classic FB in a month. I’m in the process of purchasing all the gear and have a couple of quick questions.

Would it be better to get the straight connection for the 50 amp connection or get the 90 degree on the side of the rig? I know you screw on the ring and it probably doesn’t matter but since I’m buying new, thought I’d ask.

I read on the features list there is a water regulator built in. Should I still buy one for outside at the water source to protect my filter? I saw a video where someone said the new Classics have a built in water filter - can anyone confirm? I don’t see that anywhere on the model sticker.

Also:
Is there something you got that you’re damn glad you did?

And:
Is there something that you didn’t buy that you damn wish you had?

Thanks everyone - have a great day!!
AnnaBelle33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 07:56 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Clovis , California
Hi AnnaBelle33,

For my 2019 Classic I purchased a good quality water filter that connects to the inlet hose....it does a good job of protecting again containment entering the system. A water regulator is built-in and you really don't need another one....no problems with mine so far. Not sure if the newer classic have a built-in water filter, but a good quality water filter is pretty cheap which you hook up at the water source.

I also purchased a travel tool kit with pretty much everything I would need for small repairs along the way, and at the camp site.

You should buy a good torque wrench to ensure your lug nut on the tires are at the proper torque....aluminum wheels are 110 lbs....

a couple of adapter from 50 to 30 amp for parks that don't have 50 amp service.

I would recommend you purchase a good surge protector for your trailer....I use it at every campground I stay at...protect the electronics from surges in power that could happen anywhere...Mine cost about $300 bucks or so...It attached to the power cable, and is not wired into the coach....you could do it either way.

I just use the standard power cable supplied by airstream for electric power to the coach....it works just fine, not sure if you need a angled one or not as I haven't found a real need to buy one yet...

Good Luck, and happy trails

Tim
TimT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 08:11 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2021 33FB Classic
City , West Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimT View Post
Hi AnnaBelle33,

For my 2019 Classic I purchased a good quality water filter that connects to the inlet hose....it does a good job of protecting again containment entering the system. A water regulator is built-in and you really don't need another one....no problems with mine so far. Not sure if the newer classic have a built-in water filter, but a good quality water filter is pretty cheap which you hook up at the water source.

I also purchased a travel tool kit with pretty much everything I would need for small repairs along the way, and at the camp site.

You should buy a good torque wrench to ensure your lug nut on the tires are at the proper torque....aluminum wheels are 110 lbs....

a couple of adapter from 50 to 30 amp for parks that don't have 50 amp service.

I would recommend you purchase a good surge protector for your trailer....I use it at every campground I stay at...protect the electronics from surges in power that could happen anywhere...Mine cost about $300 bucks or so...It attached to the power cable, and is not wired into the coach....you could do it either way.

I just use the standard power cable supplied by airstream for electric power to the coach....it works just fine, not sure if you need a angled one or not as I haven't found a real need to buy one yet...

Good Luck, and happy trails

Tim

Thanks Tim. Appreciate the info.

-Chas
Old 10-04-2020, 08:48 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' International
Whereweparkit , Anywhere
You shouldn’t need to buy a power cord as the trailer will come with one.

I use a pressure regulator At the spigot to protect my hoses. I’ve had one blow apart from high pressure before. The regulator built into the trailer couldn’t help there. The regulator I use is adjustable so I can set it up to about 65 PSI. I do this as the filters I use cause a pressure and flow drop, so I don’t want it already down to 40-50PSI before the water gets to the filter.

Full-timing it in a 2020 International Serenity 30RB!
https://AdventureToaster.com
TV: 2020 Ram 2500 Limited CCSB Hemi
AdvToaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 08:52 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Chas & Cindy, congratulations on your new Classic! You definitely bought your 2nd Airstream first; advice often found on the forums.

Your Classic will come with a very heavy 50A cord with a straight plug. I picked up a Valterra Mighty Cord with a right angle plug. It’s more flexible, lighter and the 90 degree plug does put less stress on the trailer’s connector. Airstream provides a 50A to 30A dog bone. I’d wait to see what comes with your trailer before you over-buy some of this stuff.

We use the popular Camco blue filter right at the hose bib without a pressure regulator. Never had a problem without a 2nd regulator. I’d also get the Zero G drinking water hose. It’s so much easier to carry and takes up less storage space. By the way, it’s burst tested to 600 PSI.

Inside the trailer we bring our Big Berkey water purifier and leave it on the counter. We use that water for all cooking and drinking. We store it in the shower when traveling. Also, we found collapsible bags for transporting purified water that’s left in the Berkey for on the road.

Good advice from TimT about an EMS. We have a Progressive Industries EMS-50PTX external unit but you could also get the hardwired version and permanently install it. Each has their one benefits but both do the same job. Ours saved us from an under-voltage situation that likely would have damaged our AC.

Later once you’ve done a few trips look at the Anderson Leveler blocks and LevelMate Pro Bluetooth leveler system. Both have made the arrival setup easier.

Good luck and enjoy your new Airstream!
-Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	78AC3F5F-DB0C-4017-BACE-80D4DEAAD5FA.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	340.3 KB
ID:	380035   Click image for larger version

Name:	259B13D1-53EE-41FA-9FA8-8DFDAD57A273.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	399.4 KB
ID:	380036  

Click image for larger version

Name:	9E2F1037-B4F9-41DD-A6F0-E5AAEAA8646C.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	262.8 KB
ID:	380037  
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 09:18 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2021 30RB Classic
NA , Maryland
Hello,

Tagging on to this post. We're jumping to an Airstream Classic RBQ from a Lance 2295. Are there any other items that are AS specific anyone would recommend? I've looked at the maintenance videos on YT and started an Amazon list. Of note, some people have added a 3" lift. I need to ask the dealer about that. Has anyone done that.

Good tip on the torque wrench, every RV'r needs one.

Thank you,

Jan
jan55255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 09:24 AM   #7
Airstream Trippin

2020 33' Classic
Livingston , Texas
We have a 2020 33 Classic FB and have been living full time in it for the past 6 months. I recommend a water softener, water filter, surge protector, a hard plastic sewer hose with two 20’ lengths that attach, wheel chocks, leveling blocks, a 2” mattress topper, wash mitts, Walbernize, screen for drains, make sure your satellite tv cable is exposed and not behind a wall in the rig.
Gigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 09:41 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2021 30RB Classic
NA , Maryland
Thanks Gigler for the list. We have most of those items; I added the Walbernize products to our list. I'm not sure what you mean by the satellite cable being exposed. Also what kind of water softener? I've seen people at seasonal parks with home water softeners, I didn't think there were compact RV models.
Old 10-04-2020, 09:52 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2020 27' Flying Cloud
Livermore , California
All good suggestions posted above. I would add the Weber Q1200 BBQ with quick connect conversion to hook up directly to the AS. Airstream Supply Company has one with the conversion already installed but it is only offered in grey. Weber makes the grill in six colors so I bought mine at Ace Hardware in orange and then went to https://torjik.com/converta-qp2-rv-q...t-m-f-qc-hose/
to get the conversion kit myself. Cooking outside keeps the odors out and the AS cooler. Enjoy your travels!
Michael
solomon.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 10:14 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2021 30RB Classic
NA , Maryland
Has anybody used SeaSucker cups on an AS? We've used them on previous SOB models with flat walls to mount our ThuleRV stuff we've carried around.
Old 10-04-2020, 10:26 AM   #11
Retired Navy Veteran

1964 26' Overlander
Warner Robins , Georgia
Welcome to the AS family! You are receiving excellent advice! We own a couple of vintage AS’s and would add a little advice that applies to inspecting and preparing all new trailers:
1. External surge protectors have been the most discussed item for theft potential in our three years of traveling. Our decision was to have the surge protector installed internally.
2. Batteries - have lithium batteries installed.
3. Delivery - Stay at the dealers over night and check every system to ensure they work, every light/switch 110V outlet, every USB, pumps water, water heater, dump valves, stove/convection oven/oven, refrigerator, AC, fans, TV’s, electric screen (12V and/or 110V) towel heater in bathroom, or any other electric or electronic system. Tongue jack, run it up and down several times. We have a camper at Top of Georgia AS Park, that had his new Classic spit ball bearings on first use, electric awning, jacks, etc.
4. Lift kit was offered as a suggestion. This will provide you the opportunity to install larger wheels and purchase Michelin tires, and replace the std Good Years and improve clearance.
5. Your WD/Anti-sway hitch is important to your towing comfort. Top of the line trailer (Classic) should justify top of the line hitch, which has been discussed at length on these forums, but Pro-Pride and Hensley are the most expensive, heaviest and apparently the most efficient at keeping your trailer under control.
Finally - Hope you are not planning on towing this beauty with a 1/2 ton TV? Join WBCCI, obtain a membership number, place it on your trailer, join a local club, attend rallies and caravans and enjoy being embraced by your kindred travelers!
superChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 11:35 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
townsend , Tennessee
Our Additions

ACTUAL TONGUE WEIGHT: be sure to not trust the dealer or the specifications. The 33' Classic is heavy on the tongue. With minimal stuff, ours comes in at 1,300 lbs. With a tank of fresh water, we're up to 1,640 lbs! According to Airstream, this is normal and the trailer can handle it. We ended up buying a Blue Ox Sway-Pro Weight Distribution Hitch rated from 1,500 to 2,000 lbs. on the tongue Of course, this was after the dealer sold us an Equalizer rated at 1,400 lbs on the tongue.

WATER PRESSURE REGULATOR: always a good to idea to regulate it at the source. That said, I've never had too much pressure - always too little.

WATER FILTER: Definitely a plus. We use a high quality in-line one.

OTHER ELECTRICAL THINGS TO CONSIDER: I have come to not like the stock Airstream power cable as it gets too stiff in cold temps. Have yet to replace it, but will do so before too long. As for the connection to the trailer, the straight in connection works just fine. We do use a portable power management device and this sometimes is a pain at the electrical box in the campground.

MAINTENANCE: It's not a bad idea to put together an Airstream specific kit. Rivet kit and sealants are critical.

GLYCOL: be sure to get an extra quart of the new glycol. We found that ours was on the low end from the factory and before winter was out we were adding fluid.

A 90 degree fitting at the fresh water inlet has been nice addition.

WINTERIZING: Check your manual, ours (2019) had the procedures for the 30' Classic. The 33' Classic is entirely different. Airstream did finally send us the correct ones.

Check the thermostats individually - ours were wired backwards. You should have 4 (four) even though you will see only 2 (two) covers. Each has 2 wires, one for the Alde and one for the air conditioners.

Most of all - enjoy this beautiful travel trailer. Happy travels.
BryonJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 11:39 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Newport Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaBelle33 View Post
Morning - I am picking up my 2021 Classic FB in a month. I’m in the process of purchasing all the gear and have a couple of quick questions.

Would it be better to get the straight connection for the 50 amp connection or get the 90 degree on the side of the rig? I know you screw on the ring and it probably doesn’t matter but since I’m buying new, thought I’d ask.

I read on the features list there is a water regulator built in. Should I still buy one for outside at the water source to protect my filter? I saw a video where someone said the new Classics have a built in water filter - can anyone confirm? I don’t see that anywhere on the model sticker.

Also:

And:

You get a power cord with your purchase. It is gray and color coordinates. Plus it is really good quality.

Biggest god send purchase for me was the second a/c. Super happy I have it.

Next is great water filter outside and secondary filter in shower and kitchen sink.

Yes your trailer has the water pressure regulator inside but it only costs roughly $15 for the external. Better to have it and not need it than mess up anything internal.
reginac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 11:44 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by jan55255 View Post
Hello,

Tagging on to this post. We're jumping to an Airstream Classic RBQ from a Lance 2295. Are there any other items that are AS specific anyone would recommend? I've looked at the maintenance videos on YT and started an Amazon list. Of note, some people have added a 3" lift. I need to ask the dealer about that. Has anyone done that.

Good tip on the torque wrench, every RV'r needs one.

Thank you,

Jan
For AS specific: a pop rivet gun, an assortment of aluminum pop rivets and some Olympic rivets.

A cordless drill plus accessories to go with it, isn't really AS specific though.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 11:52 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2011 34' Classic
Sebring , Florida
Damn glad we bought an Airstream! 🤣
megandrudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 12:05 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jan55255 View Post
Of note, some people have added a 3" lift. I need to ask the dealer about that. Has anyone done that.

We needed a 3" lift on our Flying Cloud 30 to get into our driveway and to avoid dragging the bumper on steep entry ways. The first thing I will do when we get our 33-footer in January is add the lift to our new trailer. The rear overhand on these longer trailers can be a killjoy. We have found that extra 3 inches really makes a difference.

Not all dealers will install the lift kit, and the ones that do may charge you a premium price. This is a fairly low-tech upgrade, and a lot of local shops can do a spectacular job at a much lower price.
jaybauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 12:06 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
If you're going to get a torque wrench, then learn to use it correctly. But more importantly is a breaker bar. You'd be amazed at how tight those lugs can be. And you need to get them off and you shouldn't be using the torque wrench for that job.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 12:35 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Strongly recommend the 90 degree dog bone for the 50 amp cord to reduce stress on the skin connector.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 12:38 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Belleville , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaBelle33 View Post

Also:

And:

Good suggestions above. I would add:
1. Soft start for each ac/heat unit. Allows you to run both on 30 amps or 1 on a Honda EU 2200;
2. Tire pressure monitoring system (unless yours is factory included). Many posts on this with model recommendations. But do change out the rubber valve stems for metal otherwise the centrical force and additional weight of the monitors can cause at leak at the rim where the valve seats.
3. If you have a diesel you can add an auxiliary tank in the bed. Mine is 40 gals so with the main tank I can travel 800+ miles without re-fueling.
4. I added roller catch latches to the overhead bins to prevent them from opening and spilling the contents. One post indicated the bin over their stove top opened, breaking the glass surface resulting in an $800 repair.

As you can see, your are just starting to spend $...
Presitla99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 01:45 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2021 33FB Classic
City , West Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvToaster View Post
You shouldn’t need to buy a power cord as the trailer will come with one.

I use a pressure regulator At the spigot to protect my hoses. I’ve had one blow apart from high pressure before. The regulator built into the trailer couldn’t help there. The regulator I use is adjustable so I can set it up to about 65 PSI. I do this as the filters I use cause a pressure and flow drop, so I don’t want it already down to 40-50PSI before the water gets to the filter.
Thanks AT - Jessica at AS of Tampa said they don't include anything anymore when you purchase - she said you get a gift card. Good point on protecting the filter and hose.