Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2020, 06:59 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Sounds like you have a bad mixing valve somewhere. Do you have hot water anywhere else or is it just the kitchen sink?

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 07:51 PM   #62
2 Rivet Member

2021 33FB Classic
FRISCO , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSxyWhtGuy View Post
Sounds like you have a bad mixing valve somewhere. Do you have hot water anywhere else or is it just the kitchen sink?

Same at all outlets...
Old 09-21-2020, 11:39 AM   #63
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
I obviously haven’t read the entire thread with my questions. I apologize ahead of time if some of this stuff is repeat.

But the tank water is heating? Right?
You could try draining the hot water tank into a bucket and temping that if you aren’t sure if the tank is heating. It will just help you identify where the issue is, if it is getting hot then we know it’s a mixing valve on or near the alde. Mine is turned almost to max on the alde system and the pump is turned to 2 (slow). We have a ton of hot water and we have to turn down the hot water in the shower.

What kind of hook ups are you on? Do you have electric and gas turned on your control panel, or is it just electric or just gas turned on? We are on 50 amp and have both on and the system works too good.

Follow our adventures!
Old 09-21-2020, 03:57 PM   #64
2 Rivet Member

2021 33FB Classic
FRISCO , TX
Quote:
I obviously haven’t read the entire thread with my questions. I apologize ahead of time if some of this stuff is repeat.

But the tank water is heating? Right?
You could try draining the hot water tank into a bucket and temping that if you aren’t sure if the tank is heating. It will just help you identify where the issue is, if it is getting hot then we know it’s a mixing valve on or near the alde. Mine is turned almost to max on the alde system and the pump is turned to 2 (slow). We have a ton of hot water and we have to turn down the hot water in the shower.

What kind of hook ups are you on? Do you have electric and gas turned on your control panel, or is it just electric or just gas turned on? We are on 50 amp and have both on and the system works too good.

Good idea on temping the water via draining the tank...fairly sure it’s at temp but that’s a good idea. Our valve is so far to the hot side, it’s almost screwed out of the brass fixture entirely (at one point). That would have been a nasty mess by the way...not to mention likely dangerous.

We are on city water, 50 amp service with gas on, 2 elec on and it only gets really warm with shower boost on 2. Both pumps are at 2.5 (where both Airstream and Alde told us to put them). But, I have tried them at all settings.

New issue yesterday though...huge leak out the rear end ...coming from the bathroom...from under the cabinets (sink and sidebar). Likely blew a connection in there somewhere.

Like in the Madagascar (I think) movie...”smile and wave boys...just smile and wave”. Arrrrgh!
Old 09-21-2020, 04:36 PM   #65
2 Rivet Member

2020 25' International
Nokomis , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaBelle33 View Post
Thanks for the post(s) and great info (everyone). I ordered a 2021 Classic 33 at the end of June from Airstream of Tampa - I'm due for it to come off the line on Nov 4 but who knows if that will really happen. It has already been bumped back once. I sent this thread to Jessica Herrmann (Sales Manager) and asked her not to let this experience happen to me. Need a great PDI from them and she promised a good delivery. Does anyone have PDI experience from AS of Tampa? We have owned Fleetwood 5th wheels in the past and now that we are empty nesters and the kids and their friends won't be traveling with us, we wanted to upgrade to better quality and easier towing. Looking forward to meeting you guys out in the woods somewhere!
We picked up our Airstream from AS of Tampa last October and thought they did a great job of prepping and cleaning it. Our checkout was with Vincent and he hadn't even been there that long but he did a great job and was very thorough, didn't rush, was patient with our questions. We did take videos with our phone of some of the more complicated areas, and they were helpful for referring back to. Make sure to allow for plenty of time. So far all of the mechanical equipment we thought was malfunctioning was all user-error once we read the manuals in more detail and sorted it out. We did camp across I-4 the first night in case we needed to bring it back to the dealer for anything.
Jenfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 05:13 PM   #66
4 Rivet Member

2021 33FB Classic
City , West Virginia
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenfm View Post
We picked up our Airstream from AS of Tampa last October and thought they did a great job of prepping and cleaning it. Our checkout was with Vincent and he hadn't even been there that long but he did a great job and was very thorough, didn't rush, was patient with our questions. We did take videos with our phone of some of the more complicated areas, and they were helpful for referring back to. Make sure to allow for plenty of time. So far all of the mechanical equipment we thought was malfunctioning was all user-error once we read the manuals in more detail and sorted it out. We did camp across I-4 the first night in case we needed to bring it back to the dealer for anything.
Thanks for the info and the person's name, appreciate that.
AnnaBelle33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 08:20 PM   #67
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
On the shower did you turn off the temp restrictor so that you can get max hot water?
And the sink has probably the longest run for the hot water lines. I don't know what sink faucet you have but is there a flow restrictor on it?
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 08:52 AM   #68
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Shreveport , Louisiana
Just saw this post, having sold 2014 Newmar 40' Vantana (we loved) it just became too much so we went with used 2018 33FB Classic slightly used and we love this trust me we did not step backwards just went in another direction. Pull with new 2020 Ram 3/4 ton and no issues. We have been in RVing arena for over 20+ years so familiar with good quality service vs BS
Having said this we are having to re learn nuances of Airstream/Thor and their "service system protocols"
Issues
1 Projection TV issues through research realized there was re call and AS finally replaced through dealer and I had local re install (not to factory specs) but it is workable with multiple remotes--thank goodness I am computer savvy
2 Wanted to get Alde heating system serviced took 4 weeks to finally get appointment with dealer 7 hours from my home base. Frankly never experienced this while I know Covid disrupted the supply system and everything and everyone streatched to the limit
NO Excuse for being unfriendly or seeming uncaring Take it or Leave it attitude
3 Couch hidden compartment clutter is a joke when I found out how to disassemble I was bemused at what I have found
4 Couple of things AS should do better to all AS owners, communication not the best have called couple of times and took over 24 hours to get reply one e mail took 3 days

Enough expression of opinion, as I said we love the AS 33 FB and would re buy, I am satisfied with re learning process just have to figure out others who had same issues and share information.
Just joined Wally Bayum Club waiting for numbers and look forward to discovering the AS community
Old 09-25-2020, 12:48 PM   #69
Everyday is a GIFT !!

2015 30' Classic
Collins , Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to Nelson428
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourleaf1 View Post
Just saw this post, having sold 2014 Newmar 40' Vantana (we loved) it just became too much so we went with used 2018 33FB Classic slightly used and we love this trust me we did not step backwards just went in another direction. Pull with new 2020 Ram 3/4 ton and no issues. We have been in RVing arena for over 20+ years so familiar with good quality service vs BS

Having said this we are having to re learn nuances of Airstream/Thor and their "service system protocols"

Issues

1 Projection TV issues through research realized there was re call and AS finally replaced through dealer and I had local re install (not to factory specs) but it is workable with multiple remotes--thank goodness I am computer savvy

2 Wanted to get Alde heating system serviced took 4 weeks to finally get appointment with dealer 7 hours from my home base. Frankly never experienced this while I know Covid disrupted the supply system and everything and everyone streatched to the limit

NO Excuse for being unfriendly or seeming uncaring Take it or Leave it attitude

3 Couch hidden compartment clutter is a joke when I found out how to disassemble I was bemused at what I have found

4 Couple of things AS should do better to all AS owners, communication not the best have called couple of times and took over 24 hours to get reply one e mail took 3 days

Enough expression of opinion, as I said we love the AS 33 FB and would re buy, I am satisfied with re learning process just have to figure out others who had same issues and share information.

Just joined Wally Bayum Club waiting for numbers and look forward to discovering the AS community

Welcome.
AirForums # 66116
Nelson428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 03:06 PM   #70
2 Rivet Member

2021 33FB Classic
FRISCO , TX
An update for all following this post:

As you can imagine, we had a long list of things that needed to be addressed as we delivered our coach to Airstream DFW. They had the unit over a week and rectified a number of issues but also were not able to address our primary hot water issue.

They were able to fix the huge water leak in the bathroom (loose cold water connection) and properly caulk the shower enclosure. A long list of other minor issues were also fixed.

They re-broke the Bose soundbar issue...the optical cable became unconnected while in service. Additionally, they set the heater to the highest temp possible. So when we set up camp this week and turned on the AC first thing along with the Alde hot water heater, the Alde heat came on full blast. It can certainly over power the AC!!!!!

However, the hot water issue was not fixed at all. They decided (as they claim) on a call with Airstream to swap the hot/cold distribution lines to the shower (not sure why they just did not flip the valve in the shower head). However, this did not fix the issue we have with receiving a steam bath to our bottoms at the toilet. Yes, steamy hot water comes forth like the fountain of youth when we flush.

While we can live with that phenomenon, we still have a lack of hot water (that is hot enough) at any outlet unless we have hit the shower boost +2 button 10 mins in advance of wanting that hot water. I give up on the dealer and have ordered a replacement mixer valve direct from Turma/Alde and will resolve to fixing this issue myself. The service writer at Airstream DFW did not even provide the technicians the list of items I had already troubleshot (or so they said when I picked it up). The service tech acted like they did not know anything.

As an aside, they had not done a number of other simple items that were requested. They had not ordered the Dexter lift I had asked for, they had not resolved a Fiama bike rack request and contrary to the service writer's assurances, they did not order a replacement mixing valve from Alde ( a part by the way that can only come from Truma).

Completely off topic - I complained of Airstream's manufacturing quality on one of their facebook posts. They immediately responded that I needed to PM them. While I did PM them, I did protest that they were attempting to move someone with an issue off the view of the mainstream. They responded that they needed confidential information...like the VIN number. I call BS on that. The VIN number is not confidential in any way. Anyway, I did PM them and it went totally radio silent for 5 days. I then PM'ed them again about the radio silence and their response was a request to send the VIN number.

I am sorry but these folks don't really give a ****. That's the bottom line. You buy and then you are on your own. You get what you got and that's it.
Old 10-11-2020, 03:15 PM   #71
4 Rivet Member

2021 33FB Classic
City , West Virginia
Hot Water

I found this in the Owners Manual today looking for something else:

Shower Boost Mode
"Before taking a shower it is recommended the “boost”
function be activated 10 minutes prior. This can be
done by pressing the button for shower boost
from the Alde control panels “menu” screen. Turning
ON the boost function will temporarily suspend heat
to the trailer and raise the water temperature. After 30
minutes the system automatically returns to normal
operation. Boost mode can be canceled and the
system returned to normal operation before the 30
minute run time by pressing the button."
AnnaBelle33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 10:05 PM   #72
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Livermore , California
2021 Classic 33 - Initial Notes - Delivery and Quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmassey321 View Post
Hello all,

My wife and I took delivery of our new 2021 Classic 33 FBQ (Comfort White/Earl Grey) on Friday/Saturday and I thought I would pass along a few notes on our experience.

We purchased from Airstream DFW and Jeff Bonner was our sales rep. While there were some negatives in the experience, overall, we feel good about the purchase and our experience with the dealership. We would have no issue purchasing from them again.

There are some quality issues that should have been revealed and fixed in their Pre-Delivery Inspection. While we were not there and can’t tell for sure, but we suspect that they cleaned it well but did little real PDI - which will become evident below. Let’s be clear though, Thor/Airstream should be ashamed of selling a top dollar product with such shoddy manufacturing practices. All in all, it is what we expected though given everyone else’s experiences and this is our second unit so we knew what we were getting into...still happy campers!

1. Pulling out of the dealership - no trailer brakes...truck does not believe there is a trailer attached. Ended up having to leave the trailer there over night. That was extremely disappointing. Returned next morning and worked with Charlie (their hitch guy) who was awesome BTW. Ended up finding that the brake controller wire from the 7 way was installed at the 12 volt box without having been stripped. Thanks Airstream. I feel super sorry for the transporter that drug this beast from OH to TX with no brakes.

2. Dometic Fridge - Not really an issue from Airstream or Dometic...it just happened and we spent a huge amount of time trying to troubleshoot. Basically, the dealer turned off the propane while tending to issue number 1. Fridge cooled down on shore power but then had no cooling on our travel day because the propane was off. This brought into focus the acute issue of being a 2 way vs 3 way unit. Took forever to get it back working...in the end, had to run the stove top burners for 2-3 mins to get air out of the lines.

3. Bose Sound Bar - No sound. Optical cable was not attached and was hanging in the back of the cabinet. PDI should have detected this. Of course, the optical cable itself is too short and just barely reaches to the sound bar which has to be pushed to the rear of the cavity it’s in so it will reach.

4. Radio - No Signal - Bag was found in a cabinet with the antenna. Should have been installed on the roof. PDI should have detected this. What else was possibly missed?

5. No Hot Water at Shower. Hot was flowing to both sinks no problem but shower was ice cold. Spent hours again troubleshooting...changing the Alde pump settings...etc. Finally, I wondered if they plumbed it wrong to begin with. Slid the lever to cold and got hot water. Either the factory plumed it backwards or the valve is installed backwards.

6. Satellite cable - Airstream could have very easily put the satellite cable behind the radio...where it should be. But no...they left it in the wall cavity. A $40 line tracer from Home Depot finally helped me find it and fish it out. Of course, it’s too short to reach to anything.

7. Zip Dee Awning - Won’t open on its own without human assistance with the rear arm. Dealer said this was normal. I don’t think so. Retracted it last night and did not watch it to completion...woke up this AM and it had stopped retracting at about 1 foot out. Thankful no wind whipped up during the night.

8. On board Wi-Fi - worked great on day one. Moved locations and it has not worked here at all. I recognize it’s all based on cell signal but the disappointing thing is we are 600 yards from a massive cell tower and we get full bars outside at the front of the trailer. Our phones are AT&T. Airstream technician just kind of blew us off and said we were in a location that was not receiving enough cell signal. I’ll need to really study up on this and find an alternative...hard to work remotely with no wi-fi. Additionally, the wi-fi network within the coach ceased to work without the cell signal. Not sure why it does that...kills the ability to use the network for local printing.

9. General Notes. Having been in all the cavities and under the sofa, It continues to be sad that the manufacturing process leaves trash in places they must think you will never see. This is a small nit but when you power on the air conditioners, their default setting is heat vs. cool. Another nit is the bathroom faucet is too far away from the sink and is hard to use without splashing water all over the countertop. Lastly, the multiple rat’s nests of cables is something I just can’t wrap my head around. It’s going to bug me enough that I’ll likely take things apart and organize the wiring the way it should be.

Again - we are over the top happy with the purchase and love it ... but that does not excuse the poor quality control. Additionally, a lack of PDI is not acceptable, either. I’ll update if anything else crops up...this is the end of day 3 on the road.

Cheers

Similar issues with our trailer. It is all good now. We have owned ours for a year now. My big deepest issue is the rats nest spaghetti wiring job. But I can not really find any standards for electrical work done in travel trailers. Dealership cleaned it up some but stated they all are like that. That I have confirm when looking at our neighbors trailer wire looks the same.
ASFC25_2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 11:45 AM   #73
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
I'll just say again that our previous 2014 Airstream International Signature 27FB required two years of intensive warranty work to finally get it to where it should have been when it left the factory. We got it done, but it was an exhausting, frustrating two year period.

That's the key reason why we'll never buy another new Airstream. Well, that and the hyper-inflated prices of the Interstate vans, now that we're Class-B owners instead of trailer haulers.

We don't dislike Airstream as a product, and we enjoy our new-to-us 2016 Interstate Lounge EXT. However, we really appreciate the hard work previous owners did to get things fixed during the warranty period and the depreciation they ate while doing so. We will likely have some work do do on her in the near future (probably the hose reel and the macerator), but for now everything works and we're focused primarily on the upgrades we wanted. So, buy gently used, and avoid new...unless you have deep pockets and significant patience.

The good news? Well, now Airstream offers 3 years of warranty coverage instead of 2. That's a very big deal, because after investing two years in warranty service to get the thing working as it should have done on day one, you'll still have another year of warranty coverage to handle any last remaining irritations.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 06:17 PM   #74
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
New Milford , Pennsylvania
it's a "THOR" company.
AKmtnpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 06:48 PM   #75
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmtnpilot View Post
it's a "THOR" company.

It’s been a THOR company since the 80s, in fact their first acquisition.

We had a similar experience with the two year warranty. Buying new isn’t for the faint of heart. You will use all two years of the warranty if you’re lucky enough to get on the road enough to work out all the kinks.

We are two years full time in our ‘18 classic. We love it and wouldn’t have it any other way. Although, that three year warranty would help us make the decision to buy new again. I think our next airstream addition may end up being vintage though.

Follow our adventures!
Old 03-19-2021, 10:59 AM   #76
2 Rivet Member

2021 33FB Classic
FRISCO , TX
2021 Classic 33 - Initial Notes - Delivery and Quality

Reviving this thread...mostly due to the hot water issue and it’s history being documented here...

We continue to struggle with hot water. It just does not work and we are sick of Navy showers!@@#R#

We have tried all the troubleshooting here; we have spent hours on the phone with Truma; We took our coach in to the DFW dealer; we have also worked with the mothership ... all to no avail. I even purchased a new mixing valve from Truma (on my own dime...DFW Airstream had promised to order it but never did) and replaced it ... also to no avail.

I would like opinions on a new approach. I would like to completely plum the mixing valve out of the equation and manage the mixing at the outlet. I recognize the inherent danger in scalding but am willing to take that risk. Or, I could install an on/off valve on the cold input to the mixing valve and either turn off all cold water input or severely restrict it. I called DFW airstream on Monday and left a message with service so I could talk this option through with them but it’s Friday and they have not been kind enough to call me back.

So - thoughts on that approach? I am not looking, at this point, to rehash all the trouble shooting again...we have tried it all multiple times and yes, we have the proper air cushion in the Alde.

Given this is a quality thread, we are also now going to need the kitchen sink re-attached. This seems to be a common issue and the way it comes from the factory should be embarrassing to Airstream manufacturing. Sad thing is that the entire kitchen counter will need to come off to do the repair correctly.

Additionally, we are starting to have fits with our thermostats. We will set the temp and it will run for a while. The temp will reach the desired state and shut the system off...just as it should. However, it will not ever kick back on again after that unless we power cycle the AC units. This is an intermittent issue but is frustrating to say the least.

Thanks in advance,
Dave
Old 03-19-2021, 11:26 AM   #77
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Hi Dave, you may want to start a new alde thread to get people to pile in and group think your trouble shooting. Although it sounds like maybe you are just looking to vent vs have the group put thinking hats on to help trouble shoot?

We just upgraded our 3010 to the 3020 you now have. When it’s dialed in, it’s stellar! The group can assist if you’re interested. Let us know.

Follow our adventures!
Old 03-20-2021, 10:13 AM   #78
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Livermore , California
Quote:
Hi Dave, you may want to start a new alde thread to get people to pile in and group think your trouble shooting. Although it sounds like maybe you are just looking to vent vs have the group put thinking hats on to help trouble shoot?

We just upgraded our 3010 to the 3020 you now have. When it’s dialed in, it’s stellar! The group can assist if you’re interested. Let us know.
Hiya Dave, I have to agree with the above, but I did mention your post to my local dealership when I thanked them for the outstanding support they provide. I said that I was pleased I did not purchase my Airstream from Dallas because of the lousy support customers have from that dealership. Which I probably would have, but I had moved from the Dallas area. They said change have and will be coming to that dealership. I have had a few issues with my new Airstream too ( some user error and some manufacturing issues) they have all been taken care of and I am very happy with my Airstream. Most or all my issues were very simple to resolve. The only reason I purchased my Airstream from my dealership is I had met with the Service Manager and felt like I would get the support I needed if and when I made the purchase. I do want to thank my dealership. Thank you Ben and now Josh and Kyle for outstanding support. Hopefully, you, too, will be able to get the support to resolve all your issues and can enjoy your Airstream as we are now and have many Airstream adventures in the near future. Cheers! And hope you get everything resolved very soon.
ASFC25_2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 06:34 AM   #79
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Holyoke , Massachusetts
Hello Dave

My suggestion is to take a road trip to the factory service center at Jackson Center. There are countless threads in this forum where people out of frustration decided to bypass their dealer and go to the source. All of the reviews are very positive. You can camp there while the service is being done.

One you start changing the plumbing I'm afraid you'll be voiding some of your 3 year warranty on parts of your trailer.
hsgsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 03:53 PM   #80
2 Rivet Member

2021 33FB Classic
FRISCO , TX
It’s been a while since I last commented on this thread...just updating the issues list and hope to get into service soon.

1. Kitchen sink completely detached from the counter
2. Bolt on the right side of the steps that helps them to stay extended disappeared rendering them unusable
3. Thermostats don’t seem to be working right anymore. If they are set to cool to 72 and the internal temp raises let’s say to 76, no air comes on unless I manually change the thermostat setting up or down a degree
4. Doorbell quit working
5. Very, very loud and high pitched squeak from the bed when raising/lowering...can’t seem to find the issue.
6. Keep popping the same 4-6 rivets over the dinette...have become good at replacing them. Now have an exterior rivet in the same location...I believe this is common and not a quality issue
7. Smart app quit connecting to the trailer 3 weeks ago. Airstream says it’s because we do not have an AT&T data plan but I’m not buying that because we have not had such a plan since the first week we picked it up. We blew through the 100GB of data in less than 10 days and have been using a hotspot ever since.
8. Blade fuse that the recliners are on keeps popping

Disclaimer: This post is not a complaint...just a running record of quality issues...some of which are very reasonably expected due to use. Please no flame throwers...thx.