Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2020, 04:48 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2020 33' Classic
Saint Johns , Florida
2020 33FB w/no water pressure on city water

Hi, has anyone had any issues with water pressure when hooked up to city water. It barely drips out of faucets. There is good pressure at the hose, and the winterize valves appear to be I. The correct position. I checked the city water inlets on the rig and nothing appears to be obstructing it. Anyone else have this issue? Thanks
TheCols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 06:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
I am watching this closely because I am having the same issue. I removed and cleaned the pressure regulator behind the city water inlet and it made no difference. The dribble was sufficient for everything except the shower so I just used the pump when showering and filled up the tank frequently. Not a fix but I got by. I hope, like you, that others may have it figured out. Jim
Old 03-30-2020, 05:40 AM   #3
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Jim,

I don't know if you've already tried this. How about removing an aerator at any faucet and try water again at that faucet.

How is the access to the city water connection/regulator? IF it's easy and you can actually remove it completely I bet with a simple plastic pipe nipple 3-4" or so and pipe to FM garden hose connection you can rig up a bypass test for the connection/regulator.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 07:20 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Jim,

I don't know if you've already tried this. How about removing an aerator at any faucet and try water again at that faucet.

How is the access to the city water connection/regulator? IF it's easy and you can actually remove it completely I bet with a simple plastic pipe nipple 3-4" or so and pipe to FM garden hose connection you can rig up a bypass test for the connection/regulator.

Gary

Thanks Gary,
I did remove the aerator. No change. I will try the regulator bypass next time I have city water. (Monthes?) Jim
Old 03-30-2020, 09:28 AM   #5
Mike & Erin

2017 28' Flying Cloud
Bel Air , Maryland
Is it both hot and cold water? I had a problem that was traced back the the inlet screen on the mixing valve off the hot water heater. Search the forum. I think this has been handled before. Therein lies your best help... Even better than Airstream factory support.

I now flush my hot water tank every so often based upon usage. That keeps the strainer on the mixing valve clear!
SetterX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 09:41 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
1997 21' Excella
Full-Time , Full-Time
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCols View Post
Hi, has anyone had any issues with water pressure when hooked up to city water. It barely drips out of faucets. There is good pressure at the hose, and the winterize valves appear to be I. The correct position. I checked the city water inlets on the rig and nothing appears to be obstructing it. Anyone else have this issue? Thanks
I have a 26U and have occasionally run across this issue. As others have mentioned if it can't be resolved run off your internal tank and pump. But a couple of suggestions but you may have already done this. Though the AS is suppose to have an internal water pressure regulator to protect for over pressure water systems , and believe me I have seen pressures that were crazy and dangerously high, I also connect a quality pressure regulator on out side fill hose too. It is not that I do not trust the internal AS regulator but I don't:-) I am on my 3rd AS and one had a significant water line failure to a faulty AS internal regulator and the feed water pressure turned out to be 100psi. So I have redundancy. This I think may also cause more than necessary drop in pressure in your AS if the water pressure was say below 40psi at the source. I am only speculating here. So if you have two regulators attached discount your outside one and see what happens. I also maintain a quality water pressure gauge upstream from my outside pressure regulator to see the source pressure. In theory if you have regulators they this is not needed. But I like to know. And I have seen ridiculous numbers and normal numbers drop a lot during dinner and shower times morning and evenings when everyone is using water. May not help your issue but something to look into.

2016 RAM 2500 6.7L Cummins, 4WD, Crew, Rear Air
Plan-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 12:06 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
The Panhandle , Idaho
H2O Pressure Regulator

The OP has a 2020 Classic. This model has the Alde system, so there is no hot water tank to drain. There is a low point drain valve for the Alde system, separate from the main low point valves. I usually open this whenever it will be a month or more between trips.

On our last, SOB, trailer we bought one of the Camco Adjustable Water Pressure Regulators:

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-40058-A...s%2C593&sr=8-5

Bought this after having the no adjustable regulator fail in the middle of a trip:

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-A01-...%2C593&sr=8-16

Still using the adjustable regulator today over 10 years later. I did replace the pressure gauge as the original one stopped working after I dropped it gauge first onto concrete. I do carry one of the non-adjustable models for backup.

Our setup from the hose bib is regulator, hose, filter, short hose, into water inlet. I modified a whole-house filter with the correct brass hose fittings. Filter cartridges are available at HD or Lowes for less than the ones at CW. If you aren't filtering the water prior to your trailer you may want to think about it. State, County, Federal and many private CGs are not going to install expensive water filtration systems. Sediment in your trailer's water system is not a good thing. Plus, if you install a 2-stage filtration system like this one

https://www.homedepot.com/p/2-Stage-...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

you can remove sediment and chlorine taste and odors.
Hoagie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 04:26 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
33 classic has an internal pressure regular. Do you have another regular on externally? Double regulating is never a great thing

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 07:48 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2020 33' Classic
Saint Johns , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSxyWhtGuy View Post
33 classic has an internal pressure regular. Do you have another regular on externally? Double regulating is never a great thing

Thanks everyone for the responses. No, I don’t use an external regulator. I have been using the internal tank and water pump for now which works great. My unit is only 4 weeks old and of course the dealer is closed now due to the pandemic. It’s not a huge deal as it will get fixed at some point whenever the world returns to normal.
Old 03-30-2020, 08:22 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2021 30RB Classic
Lombard , IL
Hi Greg
Appreciated your comments. Would you mind sharing with me the brand/model of both your external Pressure regulator as well as the pressure gauge? Sounds like a very good idea despite the AS internal regulator.
I see you're from Watervilet. Have you any experience with Woodland RV?
Thank you
Greg
Midwest Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 09:10 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2021 30RB Classic
Lombard , IL
Quote:
Appears others had on-board regulator failures....why is double regulating not a good thing?
Old 03-30-2020, 09:12 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2021 30RB Classic
Lombard , IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie View Post
The OP has a 2020 Classic. This model has the Alde system, so there is no hot water tank to drain. There is a low point drain valve for the Alde system, separate from the main low point valves. I usually open this whenever it will be a month or more between trips.

On our last, SOB, trailer we bought one of the Camco Adjustable Water Pressure Regulators:

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-40058-A...s%2C593&sr=8-5

Bought this after having the no adjustable regulator fail in the middle of a trip:

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-A01-...%2C593&sr=8-16

Still using the adjustable regulator today over 10 years later. I did replace the pressure gauge as the original one stopped working after I dropped it gauge first onto concrete. I do carry one of the non-adjustable models for backup.

Our setup from the hose bib is regulator, hose, filter, short hose, into water inlet. I modified a whole-house filter with the correct brass hose fittings. Filter cartridges are available at HD or Lowes for less than the ones at CW. If you aren't filtering the water prior to your trailer you may want to think about it. State, County, Federal and many private CGs are not going to install expensive water filtration systems. Sediment in your trailer's water system is not a good thing. Plus, if you install a 2-stage filtration system like this one

https://www.homedepot.com/p/2-Stage-...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

you can remove sediment and chlorine taste and odors.
Thanks for sharing tips. Which regulator are you using (Camco or Valtera)?
How do you set up the two-stage filter near the water inlet??
Old 03-30-2020, 10:30 PM   #13
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Don't forget to check if the course screen where the city water hose screws onto you city water inlet is clear of debris. The water fill fixture itself could also be clogged up.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 01:49 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Silverdale , Washington
I am not being disrespectful when I ask this, are you sure you are connecting to the City Water Connection and not the Tank Flush Connection. I have heard of others that have made the mistake.
I have a 2018 Classic 33 Twin. I've never traced the City Water Connection from the connection to inboard so I cannot help you.
I have heard from others that the Alde valve line up diagram in the Classic Owners Manual is incorrect. In the Classic Section of this forum, see the Thread titled "Alde Woes", scroll down to post #7 which provides a diagram for the Alde System valve lineup. You can access the valves by removing the padded end panel of the forward dinette bench. Verify your system valves are in the correct position for summer use. Good luck resolving your issue. When the Alde System is set up correctly it is the best.
CWO7241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 06:40 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
2015 25' Flying Cloud
Blue Ridge , Georgia
Following this subject. We have a 2020 30' classic and our city water pressure is not great. Previously owned a 25' FC and it was not an issue. We too have to use the onboard water pump to get decent water pressure for showering when hooked to city water. Recently made a 5,000 mile trip from GA to AZ and back with the same pressure issues at numerous parks.
Gleverett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 01:37 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
The Panhandle , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Greg View Post
Thanks for sharing tips. Which regulator are you using (Camco or Valtera)?
How do you set up the two-stage filter near the water inlet??
Our AS is in storage for another 10 days so I can't go check on which brand it is. It is whatever brand was on manager's special at CW in about 2008. I know; not much help. Sorry about that. But I don't know that there is a huge difference between the two other than the brand embossed on the brass housing.

We are currently using a single filter set up and the filter sits in a Camco Water Filter Stand. https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Univers.../dp/B016V2EANI

I'm looking to upgrade to a two filter system before this Summer's season. I'll either use a second filter stand, with a short piece of hose between the two filter housings, or I'll build a stand out of PVC to hold both housings.
Old 03-31-2020, 05:10 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Quote:
Appears others had on-board regulator failures....why is double regulating not a good thing?

I guess it’s not never a good thing. I’m no plumber but it seems the only time you double regulate is when you want to step down a 200 psi main line, not a 100 psi hose bib. You could double regulate normally, there is a greater chance that it’s your double regulating that is actually impacting water flow. It’s all going to depend on what regulators you have and what they are rated for in what order.

Another thought for OP, is the hose bib wide open?

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 05:49 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2021 30RB Classic
Lombard , IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie View Post
Our AS is in storage for another 10 days so I can't go check on which brand it is. It is whatever brand was on manager's special at CW in about 2008. I know; not much help. Sorry about that. But I don't know that there is a huge difference between the two other than the brand embossed on the brass housing.

We are currently using a single filter set up and the filter sits in a Camco Water Filter Stand. https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Univers.../dp/B016V2EANI

I'm looking to upgrade to a two filter system before this Summer's season. I'll either use a second filter stand, with a short piece of hose between the two filter housings, or I'll build a stand out of PVC to hold both housings.
Got it.
Was confused for the links you sent were different; one for a regulator with guage, one for a simple-in line regulator. Assuming you're only using one.
Thanks for the tips!
G
Old 03-31-2020, 06:05 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2020 33' Classic
Saint Johns , Florida
Quote:
I guess it’s not never a good thing. I’m no plumber but it seems the only time you double regulate is when you want to step down a 200 psi main line, not a 100 psi hose bib. You could double regulate normally, there is a greater chance that it’s your double regulating that is actually impacting water flow. It’s all going to depend on what regulators you have and what they are rated for in what order.

Another thought for OP, is the hose bib wide open?

So I admit I had to google what a hose bib is... but yes, wide open. I have tested at two different locations, both with seemingly excellent water pressure. This issue is really weird. I think this weekend I am going to disassemble the water inlet and inspect the internal regulator. It has to be blocked right there cuz nothing really comes out of any faucet when you open it. In my old rv, when you first put it on city water and opened a faucet, you would hear air blowing thru until the water finally came thru. With the airstream, no sound, no air, nothing.
Old 04-01-2020, 12:45 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
The Panhandle , Idaho
Quote:
Got it.
Was confused for the links you sent were different; one for a regulator with guage, one for a simple-in line regulator. Assuming you're only using one.
Thanks for the tips!
G
Oops! Yep, I reversed the two links. And I didn't write that very clearly. My apologies. I'd edit the post, but that option is not coming up for me in this instance.