Old 02-17-2020, 04:07 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Clovis , California
2019 Classic Sofa not reclining

Has anyone had a problem with the reclining sofa not working?....I checked the fuse box but everything seems fine....hard to tell which fuse it belongs too. Just wondering if there is other fuse in the line somewhere.

Any help would be appreciated.

Tim

TimT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 04:12 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The recliners run off of "wall wart" power supplies. They plug into an AC outlet that is roughly in the middle of the front wall. They are on the inverter power circuit. There is a protection device of some sort on that circuit ( some have fuses, others have breakers). Typically the protection is in / on the inverter. The inverter should be on the floor, under the kitchen cabinets.

All of this comes with the usual disclaimer that every Airstream is different and the above all is based what's in a 2017 or 2018.

Bob

uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 05:10 PM   #3
2020 Classic 33 on order

Box Elder , South Dakota
Bob is spot on. They are 120V AC. They are not 12V. So either need to be on shore power or turn on the inverter.
ghaynes755 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 11:48 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Clovis , California
Thanks for the info.....I have to admit it was my mistake it seems. I pulled the trailer out of it's parking area this morning for a trip tomorrow to the coast. I forgot it was no longer on shore power.....When I seen your messages I turned on the inverter, and everything works just fine now. I guess I got kind of used to it being up hooked up to power, and just forgot.

Thanks for the reminder....
TimT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 09:03 AM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

You are not the first one to get into this bind .....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 12:35 PM   #6
Mitch

2020 30' Classic
Granite Bay , California
Red Dawn Electrical Access Precautions

There are some interesting items on this, which I have not completely finished investigating, but here is what I know so far:
  • Each recliner motor is powered through its own independent inverter/converter, which one is to be determined because I didn’t look at the motor to see if it is AC or DC. These independent units are secured to the seat frame near the motor (see yellow circle in the first picture below). They are plugged into the wall plug described in previous posts, which is powered through the main inverter on the trailer.
  • The independent power units have a plastic door on them revealing that they are prewired to run on 9V batterie(s) (yes, only two 9V batteries).
  • I have tested these recliners, and they do in fact run fine on the 9V batteries (a bit surprising)
  • Since the battery enclosures are under the seats and not readily accessible, then it would be a bad idea to place batteries in them for regular operation
  • I bought 9v battery connectors with wire leads, and soldered the wire leads to about 6 feet of wire, so that I could power these recliners from batteries accessible from the access panel on the center of the couch (see photos).
  • I don’t actually use this to power my recliners for regular operation (yet), because I have this setup for the situation where my batteries fail while boondocking or a fuse in the under-couch junction box fails, or a part of my electrical upgrades requires service while camping. This is important because I moved my junction box under the recliner to accommodate more batteries, and for a field repair the area under the recliner is considerably more difficult to access than the center section where it was placed from the factory. I also think that powering my recliners on this unit from a removable 9V power cell is a bit Micky Mouse, therefore I won't use this functionality until it is appropriately integrated into the trailer.
  • Next time I am in there I plan to consider installing a transformer in the junction box (potentially one like this if the amp/volts would be accommodated https://www.amazon.com/SMAKN%C2%AE-C...3519353&sr=8-6) which would allow these recliners to run off of the trailer battery.
I have yet to contemplate how to tie this in with the AS controls so that it would not bypass the trailers automation. This is not a priority project, but an interesting side item since the recliners appear to require very little amperage for operation when not powered through the inverter.

In my photo you can see the white wire coiled up behind my battery isolation switch. This is where I keep it right now, so that I can simply use that wire to power the recliners in the event that the electrical system needs service.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	InkedIMG_6286 - Copy_LI.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	288.1 KB
ID:	362711   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6177.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	243.8 KB
ID:	362712  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6178.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	225.4 KB
ID:	362713   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6221.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	199.4 KB
ID:	362714  

2020 Classic 30RB
2013 2500HD Dmax: 6in lift; GEN-Y Traveler (torsion flex) hitch; Load Range F (3-Ply sides); 1-ton leafs; Hellwig rear sway; Bilstein 5160s
Registered Professional Engineer, CA
jmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote