Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-27-2018, 04:50 AM   #21
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
IMO that’s certainly interesting for anyone thinking of purchasing a Classic when they roll out the new system. Changing venders/systems can be wonderful but there will be bugs to work out for sure, I do love my Alde and would not want to go back to the forced air system of the 2016 Classic but as a new owner I would have appreciated being told up front “oh, yours is one of the very first units with this system and we really don’t know how it will work/if it will work, “ and then offer customer support to the new owners, which did not happen with the Alde roll out. I would not want to be in the group that gets to figure out all these things as we did with the Alde in Nov/Dec ‘16.
Potential buyers of the new Classic may or may not be on this forum, but if it was me, I would wait 4-6 months after the roll out to purchase new. I guess someone has to be the first to try something new and not against change at all, just hope the new owners get better support from AS than we all did.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 05:06 AM   #22
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
One more comment on the new system. It appears to be an English system, I hope they are better software developers than automotive builders. Had an MG once, discovered rather quickly that I needed 3, one to salvage parts from, the other two to rotate in and out of the shop every other week.

Old 07-27-2018, 07:03 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrick.l.j View Post
One more comment on the new system. It appears to be an English system, I hope they are better software developers than automotive builders. Had an MG once, discovered rather quickly that I needed 3, one to salvage parts from, the other two to rotate in and out of the shop every other week.
I believe it is a New Zealand company.

My order is expected to be built starting end of September. I guess I will be the guinea pig. The unit made before mine will be going to Hershey Pa for the RV show. We actually may hit that show on our way down to the Florida dealer we are picking ours up at. Guess I will get a chance to test theirs also (if they let me!).

I just pray there are no large issues that cannot be fixed at the dealer. I understand that the software app that runs on your phone will not be completed at the time of our pickup. They will have a few basic features working, but not what was promised by the vendor for the completed app. When I heard that, I knew I'm in for a ride.

The new features promise internet access to the trailer control. We wanted this new feature to monitor the temperature inside the trailer and to adjust the AC or heat accordingly. We have a large dog that stays behind sometimes. The new AS will also have a "hotspot" to provide the wireless connection to the trailer and to the internet.

We have a hotspot now (AT&T) and I believe AS is using the same Netgear device for the new Classic. We also carry a TempStick that hooks to the hotspot and sends us temperature and humidity info, so we are covered if the Czone is not functioning properly or is missing this feature at launch.

It will be interesting to see if power is removed from the AS (power failure in the campground) if the temp monitoring will still work. My Tempstick is independent of the shore power. AS will be touting that feature, but I wonder how well they have thought this out and if it will continue to work during a period of no power.

Our first AS had a lot of small issues that I either took care of myself or that went back to the factory. We were very happy with the results. I hope things go well this time. Our salesman and his wife live in a 30' AS just a mile from the dealership. I just reserved a campsite not only in the same campground, but right next to my salesman! He's a good friend though!

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 08:26 AM   #24
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I'd bet at least a warm glass of beer that the "smart" stuff in the new Classic all runs on 12V. At least part of the system must run on 12V to do what it needs to do. It would be much easier to run it all on 12 than part 12 / part 120.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 01:37 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Ivins , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
Just got off the phone with Airstream. The new supplier for the touch screens and controllers is Czone.

Firefly is out and maybe for good reason. The gentleman I talked to just went through training on the new system.
Bummer, IMO. That means 2017 and 2018 classics are orphaned, technologically speaking. Firefly provided excellent support, promptly providing me a firmware upgrade kit, including replacement panels, to address an issue I reported to them. That level of support, as well as replacement parts, can only get worse if they no longer have a supply contract.
steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 01:42 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Ivins , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrick.l.j View Post
I also hope Airstream keeps the door on the curbside
Old 07-27-2018, 03:57 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by steverino View Post
Bummer, IMO. That means 2017 and 2018 classics are orphaned, technologically speaking. Firefly provided excellent support, promptly providing me a firmware upgrade kit, including replacement panels, to address an issue I reported to them. That level of support, as well as replacement parts, can only get worse if they no longer have a supply contract.

I believe you are spot on. Not encouraged
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 07:09 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Ivins , Utah
Later Interstates have the Firefly as well. I'm wondering whether they are moving to the czone as well. If not, maybe not so grim. But I would think Firefly might be out of them as well. Too bad, as there is an investment in customization, training, tooling, etc which is thrown away with such a short production run. But then again, we don't have the whole story, nor will we I expect.
Old 07-28-2018, 04:47 AM   #29
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Turk123, your choice of camping spots post delivery is brilliant and thank you for correcting my assumption that the Czone was English, that is a bit more encouraging. I have a very similar set up in my Classic for tracking inside temps for the same reason as you and I will be following closely to hear your thoughts on how well it will allow you to stay connected to the trailer when away.
Another good thing going for you is do live closer than some to the factory, at least part of the year, and I do still believe that AS provides excellent customer service. If you do have bugs, (I suspect you will) at least it won’t be a 3 day trek up and 3 days back home.
I usually cringe when I see the first post from new to RV/AS folks who just didn’t know how the process goes. It certainly looks like you have done all you could as far as pre-delivery research and you are prepared for the enviable bugs.
You know we will all be watching and waiting to hear how things are going when you have time to post. If possible, post photos of the new system. I hope it all goes smoothly and you have a short shake down period.

Old 07-28-2018, 07:08 AM   #30
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I would not cross Firefly off quite yet. They could be back in two years from now

Bob
Old 07-29-2018, 11:09 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
New York , New York
Not only technologically orphaned, but I wonder if it will affect resale value for these units.
ajwbarnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 12:02 PM   #32
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwbarnard View Post
Not only technologically orphaned, but I wonder if it will affect resale value for these units.
Hi

Since Firefly is still in business, support does not vanish. Airstream will still sell you parts for trailers from "way back". I see no reason there would be any impact other than "it's not the latest and greatest". That will be a factor any time anything changes.

Bob
Old 07-29-2018, 02:02 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Since Firefly is still in business, support does not vanish. Airstream will still sell you parts for trailers from "way back". I see no reason there would be any impact other than "it's not the latest and greatest". That will be a factor any time anything changes.

Bob
Agreed, Firefly is widely used in high end motorhomes and 5th wheels so I suspect they will be around a while, at least as long as we own and use this Airstream, but then we are closing in on a record length of time for us keeping a unit - two years.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 10:47 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwbarnard View Post

Yeah, let’s say Czone is a complete failure. People will seek out the older model with Firefly! It works both ways.

Tom & Doty
Old 07-30-2018, 03:36 AM   #35
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
If we all wait long enough to sell our 17’s and 18’s they will become “rare” hard to find editions because only a few of these were made. Try to find an Edsel or a Corvair these days, Ok, so the wait may be a very long one but it could happen. : ) Personally I am just going to enjoy today and not worry too much about what may or may not happen to the valve of my little already out dated ‘17 Classic.

Old 07-30-2018, 01:29 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Ivins , Utah
2019 classic 30 foot twin specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrick.l.j
Personally I am just going to enjoy today and not worry too much about what may or may not happen to the valve of my little already out dated ‘17 Classic.

Hear, hear! Great advice whether the topic is Airstreams, or anything else.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:53 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
I found a 2019 Classic 30 "window sticker" that belongs to a trailer going to colonial AS (on their site). It referenced a "240 watt solar package with an interior monitor." I called AS to see if the monitor was in fact mounted on the wall. They said it was a round Victron monitor. AS did not know what model (smart or not) it was.

That's all good news.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery_monitors_-_Victron_Energy.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	319950  

Tom & Doty
Old 08-20-2018, 03:32 PM   #38
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

One thing they have quietly done pretty much across the board:

The 2019's with power jacks all get ones rated at 4,000 rather than 3,000 pounds. At least that was true of every power jack I saw at the main plant. I didn't make it over to the tour of the other plant so things might be different there ( service was done with the trailer .... just to efficient ..... need more time to goof off ).

The change may not have been played up since the old jacks show up in the brochures as 3,500 pound jacks .... ( Hey, great news folks ... were not fibbing about the jacks anymore !!).

Bob
Old 08-21-2018, 07:16 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

One thing they have quietly done pretty much across the board:

The 2019's with power jacks all get ones rated at 4,000 rather than 3,000 pounds. At least that was true of every power jack I saw at the main plant. I didn't make it over to the tour of the other plant so things might be different there ( service was done with the trailer .... just to efficient ..... need more time to goof off ).

The change may not have been played up since the old jacks show up in the brochures as 3,500 pound jacks .... ( Hey, great news folks ... were not fibbing about the jacks anymore !!).

Bob
That's funny. My 2017 came with a 3000 that was not adequate. Atwood told me to look at the front page of their manual. It said, "Do not use with an Equalizer or similar hitch". I ask AS about that and they said they do not sell equalizer type hitches with their trailer.

Furthur investigation and I found in the AS manual that they recommend a load leveling hitch. Hmmmmmmm.

Tom & Doty
Old 08-22-2018, 07:24 AM   #40
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
That's funny. My 2017 came with a 3000 that was not adequate. Atwood told me to look at the front page of their manual. It said, "Do not use with an Equalizer or similar hitch". I ask AS about that and they said they do not sell equalizer type hitches with their trailer.

Furthur investigation and I found in the AS manual that they recommend a load leveling hitch. Hmmmmmmm.
Hi

...shhhhhh .... don't let my 3000 know it's not supposed to work fine ....

Bob