Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2018, 09:30 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Woodbridge , Virginia
2018 30’ Classic queen. Multiple issues.

Our third time out and we are hit with several issues.

1. We have a E0 error on the refrigerator. The manual says that it is not communicating with the supply panel. The light does not come on when we open the door. It doesn’t appear to be running. We have ice blocks in there to try and save what we have.

2. None of the GFI plugs work when on battery power and the inverter is on. They do work when we are on generator power. The inverter does turn on. There is a red light on the front when on battery power. Green light when on the generator. The re-settable CB on the back is not tripped.

3. The B1 circuit breaker is popped. The panel says that it goes to the power sofa. I unplugged the sofa from the plugs located behind but the breaker pops anyway. I reset the master switch but nothing seems to work.

4. I plugged in an outlet tester and it lit up Red / Yellow / Clear = Hot Neu reversed. It was like that on several outlets that I tested.

My first time digging behind panels. I am appalled by the amount of dirt, wire cropping, trash and extra screws. The gray box behind the sub-woofer isn’t mounted at all. The inverter is not mounted to the floor. Wires are wadded up like spaghetti. No wonder we are having so many issues. There was no attention to detail and no pride in the product at assembly. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0525.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	287.4 KB
ID:	315032Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0518.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	436.1 KB
ID:	315033Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0516.JPG
Views:	227
Size:	266.4 KB
ID:	315034

Any help would be appreciated.

Call me Al
Call me Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 01:34 PM   #2
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Hi Call me Al,

We are very sorry to hear about the issues in your 2018 Classic. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at customer_support@airstream.com

We look forward to helping you get this resolved. Thank You.
Old 06-25-2018, 01:52 PM   #3
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If the post you are plugged into is wired wrong, you will get all sorts of odd issues. I'd at least check that part out. Past that, head back to the dealer and let them sort things out.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 05:58 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Woodbridge , Virginia
Update

We called Airstream Tech Support and spoke with Lindsey, very nice. She gave us the location and phone numbers of dealers along our route. We are in NH and will call Nashua Airstream tomorrow. If they cannot help then we will push on to Bar Harbor.

Lindsey did agree that the breaker labels on the door don't seem to line up with what they actually run. So the B1 breaker is still popping and I have no idea what it goes to. It is labeled sofa but the sofa leg rests work. I've unplugged everything I can find and cannot figure out what it is. My gut feeling is it has something to do with the refrigerator.

The refrigerator will work on generator power (boon docking). The Inverter outlets do work with the Inverter on. None of the GFCI outlets work. I was wondering if there was a GFCI outlet with the test/reset button somewhere on board. So far, we cannot find it.
Old 06-25-2018, 06:31 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Woodbridge , Virginia
GFCI breaker is in the breaker box. Here is what our panels look like. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0528.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	409.3 KB
ID:	315133Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0529.JPG
Views:	249
Size:	435.6 KB
ID:	315134
Old 06-25-2018, 07:29 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Do the GFCI outlets have a light blue label that says "Inverter Circuit"? If the outlets are not labeled as inverter outlets, they will never work when the inverter is turned on, because they're not wired into the system.
Old 06-25-2018, 08:24 PM   #7
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
I have a ‘17 Classic 30 and I am sorry to hear that you are getting off to a rough start. Stay in touch with Lindsey and they will get it all worked out. Also glad that you found you way to the forum where you will learn that there is a reason why AS offers 2 year warranty, you may need that long to get all the bugs worked out. Airstream does stand behind their warranty and things will eventually get worked out. There is also a wealth of information here on this forum. The blue search box at the top of the page is pretty good for finding what you need. What you described with the wiring is well know to all owners, many of us have gone back and cleaned up, screwed down, tighten or adjusted the mess we find. Many of us have learned to do most of the fixes, repairs or upgrades ourselves instead of lugging the trailer back to a dealer if at all possible. It is a shame you didn’t know about this site beforehand so you would have been a bit more prepared for the shake down trips and glitches that often effect new TT. I do understand your frustration completely as I went through a similar experience with mine December 2016.
Because you are brand new owners you will get priority so hang in there.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 04:00 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Call me Al View Post
GFCI breaker is in the breaker box. Here is what our panels look like. Attachment 315133Attachment 315134

The pictures you posted look just like the breaker box with the location of the GFI on our 2017 30' Classic.

I would suspect a bad electrical outlet at the campground and or bad batteries. When the reading is 12.1, a number of accessories will simply not run - the dinette table, the refrig will not fire the propane etc. At least in our experience when we got readings at the 12.1 level.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 06:17 AM   #9
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
GFCI breaker is in the breaker box. Here is what our panels look like. Attachment 315133Attachment 315134
Hi

The breaker sticker on your box is on it in a fashion that makes it easy to read, but confusing to decode. The breakers run left to right and the list reads top to bottom. One would think that top = left ... well ... not so much. The GCFI breaker is on the right and it's at the top of the list. Yes, it is easier to read than the sticker on my box, but you pay a price for that. ( = mine is on sideways but, the names line up with the breakers ).

Bob
Old 06-27-2018, 03:24 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Woodbridge , Virginia
27 June update

Firstly, I really appreciate all of you that have taken the time to write. A great community and I am proud to be one of the family. I hope to help solve problems in the future as I am a tinkerer/engineer. I have been an aviator for over 35 years so seeing wire clippings, dirt and screws in the mechanical compartments really set me off. For the price, I think Airstream can and should do better.

The Airstream dealer in MA was open but their mechanic wasn't in that day. The dealer in New Hampshire only worked on Basecamps and Interstates.

However, we drove on to Bar Harbor, ME and as soon as we plugged in to the 50 Amp receptacle... everything worked again. The B1 Circuit breaker stays in, the refrigerator works fine... amazing. Maybe I expected everything to work while boon docking but I have to learn to give up some things and live with others. I will clean up the extra trash Airstream left behind and I hope to organize the wiring circuit boards.

Next... on to Cape Breton. Anyone been there?
Old 06-28-2018, 07:02 AM   #11
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Firstly, I really appreciate all of you that have taken the time to write. A great community and I am proud to be one of the family. I hope to help solve problems in the future as I am a tinkerer/engineer. I have been an aviator for over 35 years so seeing wire clippings, dirt and screws in the mechanical compartments really set me off. For the price, I think Airstream can and should do better.

The Airstream dealer in MA was open but their mechanic wasn't in that day. The dealer in New Hampshire only worked on Basecamps and Interstates.

However, we drove on to Bar Harbor, ME and as soon as we plugged in to the 50 Amp receptacle... everything worked again. The B1 Circuit breaker stays in, the refrigerator works fine... amazing. Maybe I expected everything to work while boon docking but I have to learn to give up some things and live with others. I will clean up the extra trash Airstream left behind and I hope to organize the wiring circuit boards.

Next... on to Cape Breton. Anyone been there?
Hi

If what you are calling B1 is a GCFI breaker, that's very normal. They only reset when you have power to them.

If you were hooked up to a 30A pole and some circuits were out ( and now work ) check your 30A to 50A adapter.

If you were plugged into a 50A pole and some things worked, but others did not, the pole was bad. Your surge protector should have let you know. You do have a good surge protector? .... If not, get one.

If there was no pole and you were on inverter, check the manual. It describes what will work on the inverter. Quick summary: the chairs and the entertainment system.

If you were on inverter for a while, you may have nuked your batteries. They need to be monitored for state of charge. If you go past about "half full" you are getting into danger territory. Run the batteries flat (way past half full and nothing works.

Yes, there's lots to learn. Most of this should have been gone over by the dealer when the trailer was delivered.

Bob
Old 07-04-2018, 10:11 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Quote:
3. The B1 circuit breaker is popped. The panel says that it goes to the power sofa. I unplugged the sofa from the plugs located behind but the breaker pops anyway. I reset the master switch but nothing seems to work.

My first time digging behind panels. I am appalled by the amount of dirt, wire cropping, trash and extra screws. The gray box behind the sub-woofer isn’t mounted at all. The inverter is not mounted to the floor. Wires are wadded up like spaghetti. No wonder we are having so many issues. There was no attention to detail and no pride in the product at assembly.

Call me Al
Al, sorry to hear of your problems. As far as all of the problems, all I can say is "welcome to the Airstream family".

One thing people must understand before buying an AS; there is basically zero quality control. It is about a 80% solution, the rest you must fix yourself. Under furniture and behind cabinets is literally where Airstream workers throw their trash.

As a fellow aviator, it is crazy to see such disorder in a product! By the way I'm just up the road from you at Fort Belvoir.
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 06:09 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Cumberland , Maryland
Quote:
Our third time out and we are hit with several issues.

1. We have a E0 error on the refrigerator. The manual says that it is not communicating with the supply panel. The light does not come on when we open the door. It doesn’t appear to be running. We have ice blocks in there to try and save what we have.

2. None of the GFI plugs work when on battery power and the inverter is on. They do work when we are on generator power. The inverter does turn on. There is a red light on the front when on battery power. Green light when on the generator. The re-settable CB on the back is not tripped.

4. I plugged in an outlet tester and it lit up Red / Yellow / Clear = Hot Neu reversed. It was like that on several outlets that I tested.

My first time digging behind panels. I am appalled by the amount of dirt, wire cropping, trash and extra screws. The gray box behind the sub-woofer isn’t mounted at all. The inverter is not mounted to the floor. Wires are wadded up like spaghetti. No wonder we are having so many issues. There was no attention to detail and no pride in the product at assembly. Attachment 315032Attachment 315033Attachment 315034

Call me Al
Do yourself a favor Al and buy a circuit protector. I suggest Progressive Industries. Happy Camping!!
Airhead2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 12:28 PM   #14
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

If what you are calling B1 is a GCFI breaker, that's very normal. They only reset when you have power to them.

If you were hooked up to a 30A pole and some circuits were out ( and now work ) check your 30A to 50A adapter.

If you were plugged into a 50A pole and some things worked, but others did not, the pole was bad. Your surge protector should have let you know. You do have a good surge protector? .... If not, get one.

If there was no pole and you were on inverter, check the manual. It describes what will work on the inverter. Quick summary: the chairs and the entertainment system.

If you were on inverter for a while, you may have nuked your batteries. They need to be monitored for state of charge. If you go past about "half full" you are getting into danger territory. Run the batteries flat (way past half full and nothing works.

Yes, there's lots to learn. Most of this should have been gone over by the dealer when the trailer was delivered.

Bob
Hi

That's a fine rant ... except the issue was a miss-wired shore power box at the campground ....

Bob
Old 07-06-2018, 04:17 AM   #15
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Lololol. Bob are you commenting on your own posts? : )

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 09:15 AM   #16
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrick.l.j View Post
Lololol. Bob are you commenting on your own posts? : )
Hi

Don't know why the quote process weirded out on that one ...

Bob