Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2017, 05:39 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
2018 30' Classic; a glitch and an oddity

It was a month late but we took delivery of our new 2018 30' Classic RB twin this week with maple cabinets, chestnut Ultra-leather, and the light sandalwood counter tops. My wife wanted both the oven and microwave so we opted for that layout. We'd agonized over the color scheme but in the end we're really happy with how it turned out. For some reason, I had the impression that the Firefly control system was going to be a challenge, but in fact it seems pretty intuitive and straightforward. Most everything seems to work properly and the Alde system is, so far, putting out reliable heat and hot water.

I say most everything because there is one glitch and one oddity. The glitch is that the oven won't stay lit. When I press the spark generator and turn and press the knob in the "light" position the burner fires right up but it goes out as soon as I release the knob. I've held the knob in for a minute or more in an attempt to thoroughly heat the thermocouple but it still goes out as soon as I release it. I guess a return to the dealer is in order unless someone here has a suggestion.

The oddity is that, at first, the recliner controls wouldn't work. The trailer is plugged into 110V at my house and every other powered feature was working but the recliners weren't, plus the blue lights around the USB ports weren't lit. I called the dealer and they said to try turning on the inverter, which I did, and what do you know, the recliners powered up. I can't fathom why having the inverter on would be necessary but it worked. So today I'm in the trailer, the inverter is off but I notice the blue USB lights are on. What? Sure enough, I try the recliners and they work. Odd.

Anyway, overall we're tickled with the trailer. Not unexpectedly, the F250 pulled it home from the dealer effortlessly. We're taking a short shakedown trip to visit family over Christmas so we may find other things that need attention but it looks pretty good so far.

“The thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson

"You can't fix stupid...but you can work with it"
-- Wiley Miller

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin
2017 F250 4x4 6.7 max tow Platinum
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 07:15 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Ok, the recliners (if you dig into the socket behind them) come off of a circuit from the transfer switch in the inverter. If (for whatever reason) the power *to* the transfer switch drops out (say from a tripped breaker), you will get no recliner function on shore power. You *will* get it on inverter. A corollary failure is when you loose the protective fuse in the inverter and it's out no matter what.

There are a few other things that are on the same basic circuit. The easy one to check is the TV. Next time you see odd things with the recliner, see if the TV is out as well. It's not going to do much, but it will help isolate where the problem is.

Why does this happen? There are lots of wire nuts holding circuits together .....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 07:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Ok, the recliners (if you dig into the socket behind them) come off of a circuit from the transfer switch in the inverter. If (for whatever reason) the power *to* the transfer switch drops out (say from a tripped breaker), you will get no recliner function on shore power. You *will* get it on inverter. A corollary failure is when you loose the protective fuse in the inverter and it's out no matter what.

There are a few other things that are on the same basic circuit. The easy one to check is the TV. Next time you see odd things with the recliner, see if the TV is out as well. It's not going to do much, but it will help isolate where the problem is.

Why does this happen? There are lots of wire nuts holding circuits together .....

Bob
Thanks for the feedback. AFAIK, there was no obvious power interruption and the breaker at the house definitely didn't trip but maybe there was something in the trailer that did and then reset itself. Magic. Regardless, it's working fine now and if it wigs out again I'll try the TV test.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

-- Wiley Miller

Old 12-22-2017, 07:37 PM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

It took me a bit to work out that the TV check was the way to separate out what was going on. One *really* simple issue (maybe): The recliners power off of a plug in power brick. I seem to recall it's got a pretty normal power cord that plugs into the brick. If that's come a bit loose .... you will loose power to the recliners after bumping down the road. It's pretty easy to spot with the recliner foot rests in the up position. (as in when you have power). It's pretty hard to get to with the foot rests down ...

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 08:34 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
I'll check the plug tomorrow. Thx.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

-- Wiley Miller

Old 12-23-2017, 05:01 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Callao , Virginia
Congrats on your new Classic! We had the same issue with the recliners when looking at a 2017 Classic. They finally started working for no apparent reason inverter on or not. in any case we didn't buy that one. We also (on our 2018 Classic) had the oven lighting issue at first. Found it during the walk though and Tech finally figured it out. I don't have our unit here right now to check but I believe you have to turn the knob just a little bit more to get it to stay on. Its not that precise, good luck!
Airhead2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 05:40 AM   #7
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
I see you have gotten suggestions about the recliner so here’s my offer regarding the oven and stove. I assume you have 2 full tanks of propane so turn the knobs to the egnite position but this time start the flame by using a long (fireplace) lighter and allow the oven/stove to stay on for quite a while, oh and make sure the pilot light in the oven is on. You may need to do this a couple of times in order to get all the air out of the lines.
Most of the brand news ones will have a few minor issues but rarely you will need to go to the dealer or JC for assistance, just ask here.
Enjoy, I hope you enjoy your Classic as much as I love mine. See ya down the road.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 11:13 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead2018 View Post
Congrats on your new Classic! We had the same issue with the recliners when looking at a 2017 Classic. They finally started working for no apparent reason inverter on or not. in any case we didn't buy that one. We also (on our 2018 Classic) had the oven lighting issue at first. Found it during the walk though and Tech finally figured it out. I don't have our unit here right now to check but I believe you have to turn the knob just a little bit more to get it to stay on. Its not that precise, good luck!
Thanks, Airhead. We actually noticed the problem during the walk through and the tech repositioned the thermocouple. He finally got the oven to stay lit, and the first time I tried it at home it also lit, but after that, no go. I've tried different positions on the knob but maybe I haven't hit the sweet spot yet. I'll give it another shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrick.l.j View Post
I see you have gotten suggestions about the recliner so here’s my offer regarding the oven and stove. I assume you have 2 full tanks of propane so turn the knobs to the egnite position but this time start the flame by using a long (fireplace) lighter and allow the oven/stove to stay on for quite a while, oh and make sure the pilot light in the oven is on. You may need to do this a couple of times in order to get all the air out of the lines.
Most of the brand news ones will have a few minor issues but rarely you will need to go to the dealer or JC for assistance, just ask here.
Enjoy, I hope you enjoy your Classic as much as I love mine. See ya down the road.
Hi Lauri, thanks for the kind wishes and the suggestion. On the 2018's oven there is no pilot light; you press an igniter switch to generate a spark and then turn and press the temperature control to start the flow of gas and ignite the main burner...pretty much the same procedure as with the cooktop burners, which light fine, BTW.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

-- Wiley Miller

Old 12-23-2017, 11:22 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Wellfleet , Massachusetts
Congratulations!

You may want to confirm that your heat and hot water work when not connected to shore power. We have a 2017 30 Classic and have yet to keep our heater running for 10 hours without shutting down. The battery drain is extensive and the propane use is off the charts. We have had ours since July and still struggling with Heat and Hot water
Joellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 12:42 PM   #10
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Joellen, what’s up with yours.? That doesn’t sound like anything I have experienced nor any of the other ‘17 Classic 30 owners that I know. I have wonderful, glorious heat and hot water as much as I want whenever I want it. I sure by now you have read through the Much Ado Alde thread many times as I have and wow, no, you should not be having those issues at all.

Old 12-23-2017, 12:52 PM   #11
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
<~~~ sorry. Guess that wasn’t very helpful of me.

Old 12-23-2017, 12:54 PM   #12
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Was not aware that the ‘18’s didn’t have a pilot light. My bad.

Old 12-23-2017, 12:56 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
^^No worries.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

-- Wiley Miller

Old 12-23-2017, 01:16 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
So a couple more questions, if you please.

The manual (on page 8-11) shows a picture of a white drain valve with two brass petcocks below it for draining fresh water. This is similar to the arrangement on my departed 25' FC. However, as can be seen in the left hand picture below, my Classic has only the white valve. I've looked around and can't find the brass valves in another location. Are they missing on the 30' Classic, and the manual just has another error?

Also, as shown in the right hand pic, there is a valve located between the city water fill and the black tank flush. The tech who did our walk around said it was a drain valve for the fresh water tank but when I open the valve nothing happens (yes, there's water in the tank ). Is there some other step required or does this valve exist for some other purpose?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	valve 1.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	273.0 KB
ID:	301317   Click image for larger version

Name:	valve 2.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	246.8 KB
ID:	301318  

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

-- Wiley Miller

Old 12-23-2017, 09:15 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Mendham , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinca View Post
It was a month late but we took delivery of our new 2018 30' Classic RB twin this week with maple cabinets, chestnut Ultra-leather, and the light sandalwood counter tops. My wife wanted both the oven and microwave so we opted for that layout. We'd agonized over the color scheme but in the end we're really happy with how it turned out. For some reason, I had the impression that the Firefly control system was going to be a challenge, but in fact it seems pretty intuitive and straightforward. Most everything seems to work properly and the Alde system is, so far, putting out reliable heat and hot water.

I say most everything because there is one glitch and one oddity. The glitch is that the oven won't stay lit. When I press the spark generator and turn and press the knob in the "light" position the burner fires right up but it goes out as soon as I release the knob. I've held the knob in for a minute or more in an attempt to thoroughly heat the thermocouple but it still goes out as soon as I release it. I guess a return to the dealer is in order unless someone here has a suggestion.

The oddity is that, at first, the recliner controls wouldn't work. The trailer is plugged into 110V at my house and every other powered feature was working but the recliners weren't, plus the blue lights around the USB ports weren't lit. I called the dealer and they said to try turning on the inverter, which I did, and what do you know, the recliners powered up. I can't fathom why having the inverter on would be necessary but it worked. So today I'm in the trailer, the inverter is off but I notice the blue USB lights are on. What? Sure enough, I try the recliners and they work. Odd.

Anyway, overall we're tickled with the trailer. Not unexpectedly, the F250 pulled it home from the dealer effortlessly. We're taking a short shakedown trip to visit family over Christmas so we may find other things that need attention but it looks pretty good so far.

Hi,
Glad your experience has been good overall. We have had quite a few glitches on our 2018 33 - The major ones - the Alde system (hopefully we have that resolved), the entertainment system (don’t get me started) and we also had the oven problem that you described. That said, we have really enjoyed the trailer since July or so.

Regarding the oven - We noticed that once the flame ignites, if we keep the knob pushed in while turning it to the desired temperature and only then release the knob, it seems to stay lit.

Give it a try and let us know if that works.

Happy Holidays!
hjnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 09:43 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjnj View Post
Hi,
Glad your experience has been good overall. We have had quite a few glitches on our 2018 33 - The major ones - the Alde system (hopefully we have that resolved), the entertainment system (don’t get me started) and we also had the oven problem that you described. That said, we have really enjoyed the trailer since July or so.

Regarding the oven - We noticed that once the flame ignites, if we keep the knob pushed in while turning it to the desired temperature and only then release the knob, it seems to stay lit.

Give it a try and let us know if that works.

Happy Holidays!
I tried your suggestion with the oven (thanks) but no go. I've tested multiple positions around the "light" position as well as at and around the various temperature settings but the burner goes out as soon as I release the knob, no matter how long I hold it in before letting go.

So far the entertainment system seems to be working fine. The Polk audio head unit isn't exactly a marvel of ergonomics but I downloaded an owner's manual which helped with a couple of the more obscure features. I also installed an app which allows me to use my iPhone as a remote to change volume, select song tracks, etc. via the Bluetooth connection, which is handy since no dedicated remote for the audio system was included.

Happy Holidays to you as well!

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

-- Wiley Miller

Old 12-24-2017, 05:05 AM   #17
VSM

2018 33' Classic
Knoxville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrick.l.j View Post
Was not aware that the ‘18’s didn’t have a pilot light. My bad.

Hmmm. Our 17 doesn’t have a pilot light either.
Vickitn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 05:24 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joellen View Post
Congratulations!

You may want to confirm that your heat and hot water work when not connected to shore power. We have a 2017 30 Classic and have yet to keep our heater running for 10 hours without shutting down. The battery drain is extensive and the propane use is off the charts. We have had ours since July and still struggling with Heat and Hot water
Our 2017 works fine, Alde and all. However, when not connected to shore power ten hours of continuous use is about right if the Alde needs to run for heat and hot water. The system does use propane at relatively high rates but not quite as much as the hot air furnace does. We have factory solar and it cannot keep up with battery drain when using the trailer as we do on shore, we have to be very conservative. So, I would not bother with factory solar as suggested by the OPs dealer, just won't keep up. In fact with everything off except the items which cannot be disconnected and sitting in the sun we loose about .3 amps over a four hour period with solar working.

Just my opinion but without a generator I would not take our Classic boondocking, but then we don't booddock anyway.

Good Luck

2020 28' Twin Flying Cloud-(Our 5th Airstream)

USAF Master Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 05:26 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinca View Post
So a couple more questions, if you please.

The manual (on page 8-11) shows a picture of a white drain valve with two brass petcocks below it for draining fresh water. This is similar to the arrangement on my departed 25' FC. However, as can be seen in the left hand picture below, my Classic has only the white valve. I've looked around and can't find the brass valves in another location. Are they missing on the 30' Classic, and the manual just has another error?

Also, as shown in the right hand pic, there is a valve located between the city water fill and the black tank flush. The tech who did our walk around said it was a drain valve for the fresh water tank but when I open the valve nothing happens (yes, there's water in the tank ). Is there some other step required or does this valve exist for some other purpose?
So, if you go to the area of the picture on the left, and crawl under the trailer you will see two brass valves, one blue and one red handled. Low point drains and situated back from the little valve in the picture, when looking to your right. The picture on the right represents an additional low point drain for the bathroom area.

Bud

2020 28' Twin Flying Cloud-(Our 5th Airstream)

USAF Master Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 11:33 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
So, if you go to the area of the picture on the left, and crawl under the trailer you will see two brass valves, one blue and one red handled. Low point drains and situated back from the little valve in the picture, when looking to your right. The picture on the right represents an additional low point drain for the bathroom area.

Bud
Now I feel stupid; if I'd just stuck my head in between the wheels a little farther I'd have seen them. Thanks, Bud. Any significance to the color coding? Hot water heater maybe for the red valve? Also, what's the purpose of the additional low point drain for the bathroom area? I opened it and nothing happened.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

-- Wiley Miller