Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2016 - Current International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-04-2020, 11:59 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Huntley , Illinois
We have a 2018 27 serenity with relax awning We now cannot get the lights to function

We have used the awning several times and the lights functioned We have the awning open, checked the light switch and dimmer. We have been into the manual but there appears that there are not troubleshooting steps. Other than making sure the switch is on, what other steps should we do? Is there a fuse, circuit somewhere?. Any suggestions? I am referring to the LED lights that are installed by airstream factory. We have called zip dee. They referred us back to airstream. The led lights are an add on at the factory
cegardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 02:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
Check the fuse in the panel.
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 03:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Apollo Beach , Florida
On my Airstream, there is an in-line fuse on the wire behind the switch. Unscrew the switch plate, pull the switch out of the cabinet about 6" and you will find an automotive fuse holder that looks like this: https://www.autozone.com/electrical-...over/32415_0_0 Just replace the fuse under the rubber cap with another equivalent fuse. Maybe you can reach the fuse from inside the cabinet, but I just removed the switch to test it and found the blown fuse.
Sold: 2017 FC25FB, 316 nights 40,150 miles
Sold: 2013 Casita SD17 89 nights 16,200 miles
AirMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 10:54 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Airmiles is correct. You should be able to just replace the fuse by reaching in the cabinet.
firemed509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 11:00 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Angry But

if it is the fuse, then it begs the question of what led to it overloading. Is there a short somewhere in the circuit? Frayed or nicked wiring somewhere?

You can replace the fuse, but if it blows again soon after, there is a problem you'll have to trace down in the circuit, and I'm guessing your trailer is now out of the warranty period.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 10:12 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
2023 30' Classic
Denver , North Carolina
Awning LED's

Last fall I went to turn my awning lights on and no bueno. I found this the next morning.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2446.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	362609

The wire had somehow gotten caught up while deploying the awning and pulled off the LED strip. I was able to solder the wire back on to the light strip with some difficulty.

Name:	IMG_2448.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	187.3 KB
ID:	362610

Name:	IMG_2449.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	186.3 KB
ID:	362611

Name:	IMG_2450.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	362612

If this is your problem you can attempt a repair or just replace the light strip, it has an adhesive backing that you just press on.

If you attempt a repair, assuming that's your problem don't forget to turn off the power. That's how I found out where the fuse was

Dave S
link2dks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 10:19 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
BUCKEYE , AZ
lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by cegardner View Post
We have used the awning several times and the lights functioned We have the awning open, checked the light switch and dimmer. We have been into the manual but there appears that there are not troubleshooting steps. Other than making sure the switch is on, what other steps should we do? Is there a fuse, circuit somewhere?. Any suggestions? I am referring to the LED lights that are installed by airstream factory. We have called zip dee. They referred us back to airstream. The led lights are an add on at the factory
We had the same problem, open your awning, on the aft end there is a male to female plug that works it way loose. Just pushed it together, works great. Hope this helps.
mreddyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 10:52 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguyscott View Post
if it is the fuse, then it begs the question of what led to it overloading. Is there a short somewhere in the circuit? Frayed or nicked wiring somewhere?

You can replace the fuse, but if it blows again soon after, there is a problem you'll have to trace down in the circuit, and I'm guessing your trailer is now out of the warranty period.
The LED lights are such low current (about 1.5 amps) the fuse in the distribution panel won't protect the LED strip and electronics from the modest over current that would damage the thin printed circuits. So they add a separate fuse.

The most common cause of over current in the strips is temporary moisture intrusion shorting in the little circuit runs. Then when it is dry again, presto you are in business.

So once your fuse blows you can conclude weather protection is a bit compromised. What to do now? Open the awning and if its damp, let it air out for an hour or so before using the light.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 06:51 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Huntley , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
The LED lights are such low current (about 1.5 amps) the fuse in the distribution panel won't protect the LED strip and electronics from the modest over current that would damage the thin printed circuits. So they add a separate fuse.

The most common cause of over current in the strips is temporary moisture intrusion shorting in the little circuit runs. Then when it is dry again, presto you are in business.

So once your fuse blows you can conclude weather protection is a bit compromised. What to do now? Open the awning and if its damp, let it air out for an hour or so before using the light.

Thks to everyone. We are checking all suggestions. We also have a factory visit in May.
Old 03-06-2020, 06:58 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by cegardner View Post
Thks to everyone. We are checking all suggestions. We also have a factory visit in May.
cegardner, I just noticed you're in Huntley! We take our dog to Dr. Joe at the Huntley Vet :-)

We're not far away in McHenry. Are you a member of the WBCCI / Northern Illinois chapter? We recently joined but haven't been to any events yet. We are going to the International Rally in Loveland this June.

Hope to see you around!
Jeff & Caryle
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 07:52 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Huntley , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmc306 View Post
cegardner, I just noticed you're in Huntley! We take our dog to Dr. Joe at the Huntley Vet :-)

We're not far away in McHenry. Are you a member of the WBCCI / Northern Illinois chapter? We recently joined but haven't been to any events yet. We are going to the International Rally in Loveland this June.

Hope to see you around!

Jeff & Caryle

Please check the Web site for Northern Illinois airstream club. There are rallies in April and May. I passed your name to our club President and first Lady, Peter and Judy Schwarz. We and they will be in Loveland. We are both in the generator section there. Look for 2393. And 2009. They have an airstream motor home. A skydeck we would live to see you in April and May!
Old 09-07-2021, 12:32 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
2012 25' International
2019 27' Tommy Bahama
slaton , Texas
just found your post on the LED ltg issue. we just bought a 2019 27' Tommy Bahama and the orig owner said she could never get the awning LED lts to work. well after opening the awning we found the same prob as you, strip was disconnected from the connector. I've asked AS to send parts/ and instr on how to repair ( still under warranty) , still waiting. I'm not sure how to repair but it looks like you did repair yours. i was hoping to get a new connector and instr on how to connect the strip back into a new connector. not sure if this is the way to do it or not. have you had any more probs?? is there an easier way to conect the strip to the connector? i have no wires showing from the connector so i don't see how i can solder. looks like the strip came entirely out of the connector. Just leary of disassembling the connector
any help is appreciated.
thanks in advance!!!
gregg
gnowlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 01:29 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
2023 30' Classic
Denver , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnowlin View Post
just found your post on the LED ltg issue. we just bought a 2019 27' Tommy Bahama and the orig owner said she could never get the awning LED lts to work. well after opening the awning we found the same prob as you, strip was disconnected from the connector. I've asked AS to send parts/ and instr on how to repair ( still under warranty) , still waiting. I'm not sure how to repair but it looks like you did repair yours. i was hoping to get a new connector and instr on how to connect the strip back into a new connector. not sure if this is the way to do it or not. have you had any more probs?? is there an easier way to conect the strip to the connector? i have no wires showing from the connector so i don't see how i can solder. looks like the strip came entirely out of the connector. Just leary of disassembling the connector
any help is appreciated.
thanks in advance!!!
gregg
Not sure if your post was addressed to me or not. I did repair mine as you can see in post number six above. It was not easy!

The easy way to fix this would be to replace the strip, the strip will plug into the connector and would be fairly easy to put the strip on the trailer.
link2dks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 08:29 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Huntley , Illinois
We had the connector. Replaced at dealer. It has been fine since