Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2016 - Current International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-18-2022, 12:04 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2023 27' International
Waynesville , Missouri
Vampires!!!!

Ewww. Spooky stuff. Vampires sucking blood. In this case though, I’m not talking about Dracula, I’m talking about electrical vampires. They suck your battery dry without ever being turned on. In my new International I’ve identified three so far, the propane detector, and two televisions. The propane detector I don’t want to drive a stake through, but the other two, the televisions, I have unplugged entirely. Most people don’t know, but MANY electronics go into a sleep mode when turned off so they turn on quicker, televisions for one. They don’t eat as much as when they’re turned on, but they still sip the lifeblood out of your battery at a greater-than-zero level.

Knowing that vampires hide, what else should I dig up and drive a stake through? What is sitting there, not being turned on…..but still slurping down electricity even though it looks like it’s been turned off? My inverter has an on/off control panel, is it still grabbing electrons? I don’t know, but what device have I not dug up to be exposed to the light of day?

Dave
2023 International 27’ FBQ
DAVSCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 12:13 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2017 19' International
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Monrovia , California
I have read the sub-woofer is always on, and contributes to the vampire drain.
Kay0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 12:15 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Parasitic power draws erg! And why do so many things have a little light on it. If it's OFF we would rather no light and NO power draw whatsoever.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 12:17 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVSCH View Post
Ewww. Spooky stuff. Vampires sucking blood. In this case though, I’m not talking about Dracula, I’m talking about electrical vampires. They suck your battery dry without ever being turned on. In my new International I’ve identified three so far, the propane detector, and two televisions. The propane detector I don’t want to drive a stake through, but the other two, the televisions, I have unplugged entirely. Most people don’t know, but MANY electronics go into a sleep mode when turned off so they turn on quicker, televisions for one. They don’t eat as much as when they’re turned on, but they still sip the lifeblood out of your battery at a greater-than-zero level.

Knowing that vampires hide, what else should I dig up and drive a stake through? What is sitting there, not being turned on…..but still slurping down electricity even though it looks like it’s been turned off? My inverter has an on/off control panel, is it still grabbing electrons? I don’t know, but what device have I not dug up to be exposed to the light of day?

Dave
2023 International 27’ FBQ
My Airstream televisions work off of AC so they only operate, even in standby/sleep mode, when the inverter is on. If the inverter is switched off, which it certainly should be for storage or unless you're actually using an AC appliance, they are drawing nothing from the battery.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 07:12 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2023 27' International
Waynesville , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay0 View Post
I have read the sub-woofer is always on, and contributes to the vampire drain.

Wow. Never even thought of that, and it’s under a bench seat to boot. I’ll check that out! Thanks!!
Old 09-18-2022, 07:18 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2023 27' International
Waynesville , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinca View Post
My Airstream televisions work off of AC so they only operate, even in standby/sleep mode, when the inverter is on. If the inverter is switched off, which it certainly should be for storage or unless you're actually using an AC appliance, they are drawing nothing from the battery.

Thank Mikeinca! I am out camping right now and plugged into shore power. I’ll have to look at it when I’m unplugged. That still brings me back to the inverter. Is it laying there in its coffin keeping itself charged up ready for me to turn it on the rest of the way? Unknown. Maybe someone with a better handle on the Airstream electronics can put in some info here.
Old 09-18-2022, 07:20 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2023 27' International
Waynesville , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
Parasitic power draws erg! And why do so many things have a little light on it. If it's OFF we would rather no light and NO power draw whatsoever.

Couldn’t agree more Hitten. I’m willing to wait an extra few seconds while my electronic do-dad boots up. I don’t need it charged up and ready to instantly turn on.
Old 09-18-2022, 07:39 PM   #8

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
The TVs *DO* have some parasitic draw off the inverter when the inverter's switched on... I unplug them for boondocking because I run my CPAP off the inverter at night, but don't worry about the TVs' standby power otherwise.

The inverter itself, however, has some standby draw and I have a disconnect for it for low-power storage.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 08:28 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Yes, some/many modern inverters do have a phantom draw.

Solar controllers, also.

Are you worried about phantom draws when the trailer is in storage, or when you are using it?
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 08:33 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2023 25' International
Fayetteville , North Carolina
I read on the forum last week that the new TVs in 2023 models were 12v, is this not the case for you?
barnhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 05:25 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2023 27' International
Waynesville , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquared View Post
Yes, some/many modern inverters do have a phantom draw.

Solar controllers, also.

Are you worried about phantom draws when the trailer is in storage, or when you are using it?

SSquared. I would have to say both, but my highest concern is during boondocking. I’m greedy. I have a CPAP I want to run at night. Unlike vampires, I want to breath while I rest. Waking up in the middle of the night with a shut-down machine is not a pleasant experience.
Old 09-25-2022, 07:28 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
Anything that has a remote or a standby is drawing power. Not necessarily "on", but using enough circuitry to be watching for a remote order. TV's, Subwoofer, possibly the radio or DVD player. The antenna booster? The thermostat?
I confess I don't even know where the "on/off" switch is on the TV. You could always unplug it.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 10:31 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Anything that has a remote or a standby is drawing power. Not necessarily "on", but using enough circuitry to be watching for a remote order. TV's, Subwoofer, possibly the radio or DVD player. The antenna booster? The thermostat?
I confess I don't even know where the "on/off" switch is on the TV. You could always unplug it.
If a TV has an "on/off" switch/button it has the same function as the one on the remote on/standby. Might be good to get a wall plug extender with a switch, this will also get rid of the problem of only one outlet.
https://www.amazon.com/Extender-Prot...ps%2C88&sr=8-8
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote