Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2024, 07:55 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2024 23' International
Seattle , Washington
Under Dinette "Storage" Compartments

Hello,

I just took delivery of a new 2024 23' International Twin. I'm taking it on a very long first road trip right now to see the solar eclipse. So far, everything is working as expected....HOWEVER

The two compartments underneath the dinette, one on each side...nice construction, EXCEPT that the opposite end is wide open? The one nearest the door has a maybe 1" lip from the bottom ...for what purpose? And the other one nearer to the bedroom, had nothing at all! Just an open end! What kind of design is that?

So when you place any item, say a pair of shoes...they just slide out the other end and drop to the floor.

Did Airstream forget to put an end cap to these two compartments? Does anyone else have this same situation? If so, what in God's name could you store in there? I'm so puzzled by this design.

Thanks for your help and feedback.
2021 Ford F-150 XLT 4x2 Powerboost
BogeyPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 07:12 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2023 20' Basecamp
2024 23' International
Milford , Michigan
Our 2024 International is the same, so no, Airstream didn't forget something on your trailer.

We use a rope basket to store our Dyson vacuum in one, the smashed down basket holds everything in place. I thought about making a wood insert to close the back of the other one, but until we finalize what we are going to keep there I have left it open. Post if you come up with something clever.

Steve
SteveBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 07:57 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2024 23' International
Seattle , Washington
Thank you, SteveBeck. Good to know I am not alone.

I'm thinking you could draw out a template of the opening...and then find a suitable material like wood to wedge in there...the challenge being to secure it in place.

There are some clever folks on this forum, so I'm hoping for a solution to manifest itself here..
Old 04-05-2024, 05:52 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
An insert, either wood or metal on the far end and some self tapping metal screws from the outside would enclose it pretty easily. I'm not sure I'm going to bother doing that because the space is so small.
JJTX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 06:10 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2022 19' Bambi
Columbus , Indiana
Dinette storage

We have the 2023 23’fbt. I found plastic baskets at Target that fit perfectly in these spaces. We use them like a drawer. We also fastened a metal bar across the back of the opening so the baskets don’t slide out the rear.
Bambisafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 07:24 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2024 23' International
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambisafari View Post
We have the 2023 23’fbt. I found plastic baskets at Target that fit perfectly in these spaces. We use them like a drawer. We also fastened a metal bar across the back of the opening so the baskets don’t slide out the rear.
Thanks for that, Bambi. Curious about how you fastened that metal bar...and the basket at target (i.e. the manufacturer)...when you get a chance, maybe some pictures?
Old 04-07-2024, 10:45 PM   #7
geo
2 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Seattle , Washington
Our 2019 IS came with plastic storage containers included in each of the storage bins. It's interesting that they aren't providing these anymore.
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 11:53 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Napa , California
While we don't have that issue in our trailer, we do have a half back to the top shelf of cabinet that's on the floor of the bathroom, which means that things can fall over the edge and disappear forever. Pulled three washcloths out of the gap when I wondered where they were escaping to. We simply created a cardboard insert and taped it in place, at least it slows down the vanishing acts.
Atwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 06:49 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fayetteville , Arizona
Under Dinette "Storage" Compartments

Interesting…. You say 2024 international twin. Cause you’re international a 28ft front Twin or Rear Bed Twin (RBT)? We have a 2023, 28ft, international, RBT. When you come in the front door, your couch is on the right. There are 3 pulldown drawers under the couch with 3 plastic storage bins provided with the trailer. If you turn left and Nick towards the rear of the trailer the dinette is on your immediate left. Under each seat, there is a door that opens downward and has storage under each dinette seat. Each storage compartment has a plastic bin that fits in each one of them provided with the trailer. Under each RBT there are two pulldown doors, and each of them have a black storage bin that is an open top for storing whatever you want. Our second trailer was a RBT but it only had one black storage bin under the left side. That was because the previous trailer had an Atwood, hot water heater, and some of the plumbing was under that bed. The 2023s on demand hot water heater eliminated the need for that area to be dedicated and it now has a 2nd storage bin that’s usable. All three of the trailers that I’ve owned came with the plastic storage bins. It may be worth a call to your dealer to ask them why the 2024 you have didn’t have them.
akarakos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 09:34 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2024 23' International
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwebs View Post
While we don't have that issue in our trailer, we do have a half back to the top shelf of cabinet that's on the floor of the bathroom, which means that things can fall over the edge and disappear forever. Pulled three washcloths out of the gap when I wondered where they were escaping to. We simply created a cardboard insert and taped it in place, at least it slows down the vanishing acts.
Thank you, AtWebs. You have given me some ideas. I think the solution is to go to a crafts store, find a material to make an "end cap", so to speak. It would have to be strong enough to hold items in place, yet also easy to cut and shape.

So on could cut the material to size, then hold it up to the end and draw out a template. Cut that, and then adhere to the metal with...duck tape, I suppose. Fortunately, it is out of sight from the casual observer.

I am aware these are small spaces...BUT they are the perfect place to store dirty shoes and get them off the floor!
Old 04-11-2024, 09:36 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2024 23' International
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by akarakos View Post
Interesting…. You say 2024 international twin. It may be worth a call to your dealer to ask them why the 2024 you have didn’t have them.
I have the 2024 International Twin 23' foot, which has a different floor plan to the trailers you are referring to.
Old 04-11-2024, 10:12 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Garden City , New York
Atwebs, for that cabinet in the bathroom, a pool noodle cut to length and then sliced longitudinally (not all the way), stuff it into the space and voila!

Bogey, Maybe glue a piece of weather stripping all the way around the shape you cut and stuff it in place? Assuming shoes arent going to pick up enough lateral momentum to knock it out!

Bearstream01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 03:19 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2022 30' Classic
St Pete Beach , Florida
An inexpensive solution could be to use plastic placemats from Dollar Tree and cut to size. The plastic is strong enough to hold up if there's not too much pressure on it.
Tbiomomaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 04:30 PM   #14
SemiRetired (Roy and Sue)

2023 25' International
Orange Park , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by geo View Post
Our 2019 IS came with plastic storage containers included in each of the storage bins. It's interesting that they aren't providing these anymore.
Our 2023 25FBT came with said bins, but no open end.
2023Ford F250SD SXT 6.7L Diesel
SemiRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 04:55 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2024 23' International
Seattle , Washington
Getting more details...from AS

I dropped of my AS this morning at the dealer for warranty work...while I was there, I asked about this with the sales department. We went out to look at a brand new unit (International 23') and checked for any plastic bins, supplied from Airstream, that would fit into those two spaces....nope, nothing.

So then I opened up a support ticket with AS Support asking about some kind of solution or recommendation for this crazy design. I mean, who leaves the end cap off a storage area, that has well built doors for the other end?

We'll see what they come back with.
Old 06-11-2024, 05:56 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyPro View Post
I dropped of my AS this morning at the dealer for warranty work...while I was there, I asked about this with the sales department. We went out to look at a brand new unit (International 23') and checked for any plastic bins, supplied from Airstream, that would fit into those two spaces....nope, nothing.

So then I opened up a support ticket with AS Support asking about some kind of solution or recommendation for this crazy design. I mean, who leaves the end cap off a storage area, that has well built doors for the other end?

We'll see what they come back with.

I agree. I think it's an oversight. But then again, dont expect much.

Also, the battery box on my 2024 has no battery-tray. I was told it was not included by the factory, so the batteries just float around and have no support other than the screw down with plate..
JJTX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 09:10 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2024 23' International
Seattle , Washington
Airstream Support Reply

"They are built like that for some reason, can't tell you why".

He also send me a build sheet (attached). So if anyone comes up with a solution, please share. Thank you.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DinnetteBuildSheet.pdf (528.3 KB, 16 views)
Old 06-14-2024, 07:09 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2023 23' International
Englewood , Florida
Bins

Being open is a little strange - but it does reduce costs.

We use Sterilite locking containers everywhere. Measure twice, buy once.
Old 06-14-2024, 09:11 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2024 23' International
Seattle , Washington
Sterlite Container that fits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by englewoodfl View Post
Being open is a little strange - but it does reduce costs.
We use Sterilite locking containers everywhere. Measure twice, buy once.
Hello, englewoodfl. Did you find a Sterlite container that fits underneath? If you did, is there any chance you could share which model, or a link?

Thanks so much.
Old 06-14-2024, 12:32 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2023 23' International
Englewood , Florida
Model

It's at the dealer for warranty work but I'll try to remember when it comes back. The CEO bought them based on measurements - at the "W" as I recall.