Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2021, 06:35 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2020 23' Globetrotter
Issaquah , Washington
Replacing the DVD player

Has anyone replaced the DVD player in an Airstream trailer with another device, such as an Apple TV? My goal is to “smarten up” the TV to play streamed content. Seems like it should be easy, but I’d like to learn from the experience of others.
Rrauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 08:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
I have used Apple TV and chrome cast. Packing my fire stick this weekend.
Old 10-12-2021, 09:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
We took out the DVD player the first week we got the trailer. We just download programs and movies onto a phone and then use the Apple lightning to HDMI adapter to connect to the HDMI connector you’ll find when you remove the DVD player. We then download new content when we are in town near WiFi.

We tried using an Apple TV but it generally wasn’t helpful for us because we are often not staying in places with good WiFi and don’t want to consume that much data on our data plan.

It would be nice to able to be able to Airplay, say, downloaded Netflix to an Apple TV and avoid the HDMI cable. Sadly what the AppleTV wants to do is pretend it’s playing off the phone but in reality the phone hands the link to other content off to the Apple TV and it tries to stream it again.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 11:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrauch View Post
Has anyone replaced the DVD player in an Airstream trailer with another device, such as an Apple TV? My goal is to “smarten up” the TV to play streamed content. Seems like it should be easy, but I’d like to learn from the experience of others.
Check the back of your TV. The LG TV in our 2020 Globetrotter has a spare HDMI input so an Amazon Fire stick plugs right in. No need to disconnect the Blu Ray player, just select the alternate HDMI input on the TV when you want to access streaming content. We have access to all of the same streaming sites we have at home including YouTube TV for current sports, news, and other programming.

The Fire stick is powered from the same outlet used by the TV; I got an adaptor for the outlet that will accommodate multiple plugs.

We have an ATT unlimited data plan which allows up to 40GB/month of mobile hot spot data from our iPhones. The Fire stick obviously connects to this mobile network. Between our two phones that gives us 80GB which means we can stream over 80 hours of 720p or over 50 hours of 1080p HD content every month if we want to. As long as we have a couple of bars of signal strength we can stream without buffering or dropouts.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2017 F250 4x4 6.7 max tow Platinum
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 07:44 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2020 23' Globetrotter
Issaquah , Washington
Thanks. This is helpful.
Rrauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 04:57 PM   #6

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Tacoma , Washington
We use a HDMI 4 in 2 out switch. I have Dish receiver in slot 1, Fire Stick in slot 2, DVD player in slot 3 and a 15' extension HDMI cable that I can plug into laptop, iPad or phone in slot 4. With the 2 tv output, we can watch two different devices on the front and rear tv's. Surround sound is routed through the main tv.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-10-13 at 3.53.21 PM.png
Views:	9
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	406197  
rrittierodt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 05:38 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2021 30RB Classic
Tucson , Arizona
We use the Apple TV app on the ipad with our Verizon unlimited data plan and connect with HDMI cable.

Would be nice stream from the Apple TV device but it seems like one or two days of streaming will use up all the data of just about any mobile plan out there.

Arthur
turonueve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 10:14 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Eagle River , Alaska
I put my Xbox in the slot for the blue ray, and plugged the fire stick directly into the back of the lounge TV. The benefit of using the cabinet is the signal is sent to both televisions at the same time. Since the xbox has the slot load blue ray player - we put that in the cabinet so we can get Redbox movies occasionally and watch on either television.
WBCCI #02348 / AIR #163014
GMT-9
Shattered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 10:24 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
I got fed up with my old Sony EXPLOD system circa 2008 and replaced the whole thing with a Pioneer CD/BlueTooth receiver for music and replaced the TV with a PYLE DVD/TV combo and added a JBL soundbar to the bottom of the TV mount. I attached my extra Apple TV 3 (it was replaced by a ATV 4K in the house) to the wall behind the TV and piped it into the Pyle TV with HDMI. I use my Verizon hot spot for streaming. Works well for us. BTW: I basically ripped everything out of the AV cubby in the overhead bin, cut back the wires and started over. The factory wiring was a rats nest of confusion. I did the same with the power center under the FB.- Brad
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote