Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2016 - Current International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-06-2020, 06:30 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' International
Austin , Texas
Recommended set of tools (tool kit)

I have an International 30’ Serenity 2019. Right now my rig is in the shop for warranty work. In the meantime i am looking to pull together a traveling tool kit to keep with my rig. The question, as I cannot seem to find anything on the Airstream website, what type of Sockets, Wrenches, Allen wrenches are needed and are they Standard sizes or metric. Also has anyone purchased the Rivet Gun Kit from Airstream that comes with a selection of rivets? Or do you have a better suggestion, as they are out of stock. Also any recommendation on an air compressor for the tires would be greatly appreciated. PS: I did call me local AS dealer and asked the question about Standard or Metric, and I received two answers, one said metric and the other said Standard.
Powerrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 07:21 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Litchfield Park , Arizona
There are many, many threads on this topic already. Suggest you use the blue search box near the top of this page to search for some of these threads. I'm sure you'll get some great responses though, since guys like to talk about tools. Something to consider in putting together a tool kit is how handy are you and do you like doing repair and adjustment stuff yourself, or are you going to take your rig to the dealer or to Jackson Center to have work done? If the latter then you don't need to carry a bunch of tools since you probably won't use them much. Roadside emergency tools and equipment are a must though. Another factor is how you are going to use your trailer. If you are going to full time then you need to take more tools than if you are just going on a few short trips a year.

Tools can weigh a lot, whether in your rig or your tow vehicle. Some guys carry too many tools (I'm guilty I suppose but we full time). Some stuff you can probably have but leave at home to use when you return from your trip unless you are full timing or on an extended trip.

So far, everything I've tightened has been standard, not metric. But I'll bet some fasteners in the appliances are metric. I carry both types of wrenches and sockets.

One great write-up I've seen is by Jim Beaubeaux on his Living In Beauty blog: https://livinginbeauty.net/2020/04/21/beast/ He covers what tools they carry and where he keeps them. Fun reading.

Steve
stevejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 07:36 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Litchfield Park , Arizona
By the way, if you don't have it already in your documentation kit, get a copy of The (Nearly) Complete Guide to Airstream Maintenance sold by Airstream Life. Great reference and has a pretty comprehensive list of tools to carry.

Steve
stevejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 08:44 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' International
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejones View Post
There are many, many threads on this topic already. Suggest you use the blue search box near the top of this page to search for some of these threads. I'm sure you'll get some great responses though, since guys like to talk about tools. Something to consider in putting together a tool kit is how handy are you and do you like doing repair and adjustment stuff yourself, or are you going to take your rig to the dealer or to Jackson Center to have work done? If the latter then you don't need to carry a bunch of tools since you probably won't use them much. Roadside emergency tools and equipment are a must though. Another factor is how you are going to use your trailer. If you are going to full time then you need to take more tools than if you are just going on a few short trips a year.

Tools can weigh a lot, whether in your rig or your tow vehicle. Some guys carry too many tools (I'm guilty I suppose but we full time). Some stuff you can probably have but leave at home to use when you return from your trip unless you are full timing or on an extended trip.

So far, everything I've tightened has been standard, not metric. But I'll bet some fasteners in the appliances are metric. I carry both types of wrenches and sockets.

One great write-up I've seen is by Jim Beaubeaux on his Living In Beauty blog: https://livinginbeauty.net/2020/04/21/beast/ He covers what tools they carry and where he keeps them. Fun reading.

Steve

Thanks Steve. I am not looking to be able to perform major fixes and/or rebuilds. Just minor repairs while on the road. Note we are not doing this full time. And weight is definitely a major consideration. I will check other threads as suggested. PS: I am a tool guy myself and would bring far to many tools if I had my way. So I am just looking for some of the basics. Again thanks.
Powerrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 09:35 AM   #5
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Regarding an air compressor I recently bought this one, https://www.dewalt.com/products/stor...lator/dcc020ib. It is a great machine and the best portable compressor I've seen.

If you spend some time (and ultimately money) at this website you will see many of the tools you are asking about listed. There are also some helpful videos.

Best regards!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 09:46 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bettendorf , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejones View Post
By the way, if you don't have it already in your documentation kit, get a copy of The (Nearly) Complete Guide to Airstream Maintenance sold by Airstream Life. Great reference and has a pretty comprehensive list of tools to carry.

Steve
That is interesting Steve. I had reason to reference my copy last week and was not impressed. The few times I have used it, I have been disappointed but I have not reviewed the tool list so I’ll give it another try.
Rltports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 09:51 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Redmond/Tucson , Oregon/Arizona
There's a lot of tools you can carry - probably will never use. A rivet gun wouldn't be my choice - repair a rivet at home, the trailer isn't going to fall apart on the road without one or two rivets.
The one tool I always carry is from Harbor Freight - PITTSBURGH AUTOMOTIVE
Nylon Pry Bar Installer Kit, 4 Pc. - $7. You use it to carefully open the windows after they're stuck to the rubber gasket after storage or a hot trip.
davetoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 09:58 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Recommended set of tools (tool kit)

A good resource is Rich Luhr. Personally I don’t feel dc air pumps ( plug in cigarette lighter types ) have enough capacity to efficiently use on tires that require higher PSI. Here’s a link for book.

https://store.airstreamlife.com/prod...am-maintenance

tire inflator not for 110 v which may not be always available when needed, works good on PU truck tires too. A little pricy probably others that work as well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1067.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	377835
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 12:36 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Mesquite , Nevada
We recently took a long trip and our Viair inflator was very useful a couple of times. Much easier to add air @ campsite than in a gas station - one morning our TV had a low tire, I was able to top up and go get it repaired rather than change it.

Ours was a little less than the one shown but came from Amazon also.
Ken G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 03:17 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Kansas , Topeka
First tool I would buy, if you don’t have one is a battery powered drill and socket to fit the stabilizer jacks. This tool is going to be used every time you unhook. Second is a cheap torque wrench from Harbor Freight with rocket to fit your lug nuts.
BDowse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 07:58 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
1993 25' Excella
Flagler Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerrunner View Post
I have an International 30’ Serenity 2019. Right now my rig is in the shop for warranty work. In the meantime i am looking to pull together a traveling tool kit to keep with my rig. The question, as I cannot seem to find anything on the Airstream website, what type of Sockets, Wrenches, Allen wrenches are needed and are they Standard sizes or metric. Also has anyone purchased the Rivet Gun Kit from Airstream that comes with a selection of rivets? Or do you have a better suggestion, as they are out of stock. Also any recommendation on an air compressor for the tires would be greatly appreciated. PS: I did call me local AS dealer and asked the question about Standard or Metric, and I received two answers, one said metric and the other said Standard.
If you need a rivet gun in ur tool kit......I'm selling my A/S tonight, lol
AFTER TAXES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 08:12 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2020 27' Flying Cloud
Livermore , California
I purchased a basic Craftsman toolkit in a hard-molded case from Lowes for hand tools, I like that it had a spot for each item and doesn't jumble up when driving. I added a Ryobi drill with socket adapter for stabilizers and Hensley hitch. Got a Viair 300P RVS Portable Tire Inflator for tires, I like the long spiral winding hose and fairly small carry case. Also added a torque wrench and socket for the wheels. I found a rivet gun at Harbor Freight but haven't used it yet.

For management, I got three small toolbags to arrange items, one for hitching and unhitching has a bubble level, wrench for the tire chocks, the Ryobi drill and the hitch coupler wrench. The second toolbag holds the water filter, the 90° elbow fitting, teflon tape and a couple cable TV cables. The third is "repair" has duct tape, electric tape, spare fuses, multimeter and the rivet gun. Find a system that works for you and share your outcomes.
solomon.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 05:09 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Be sure to include a strap wrench, for when the cap where you attach your sewer hose gets stuck.

Don’t ask me how I know you may need this.

Maggie
Attached Images

Old 09-07-2020, 07:26 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
I second stevejones recommendation on the book. I outfitted my tool box with everything the author listed and I've not come up short yet. I would spend more rather than less on a really good torque wrench. Stay away from the cheap air compressors - they take forever to inflate a tire.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote