Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2016, 09:03 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Austin , Texas
Pricing for new vs pre owned 2016 vs 2015 25' fb

Hello community-- my wife and I are having some issues with what the pricing should be / determining value. We have opportunity to buy a new 2016 25' fb serenity for 20% off msrp. I got close to buying a used 2014 last year , guy was asking $58k for it was in good shape. I offered low $50s and was surprisingly told no.

I think msrps are really high on these and 20% off a fictional high price doesn't really give me anything to go by.

Thoughts?

Ducted air we would pay a Premium for over 2014 models.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
While everything is inflated and provides margin for everyone in the distribution chain, 20% off a 2016 is pretty common. I was able to get slightly more off a 2012 at year end, getting a 2016 in January 2016 is a fairly decent deal in my opinion. You can always try to negotiate for more but if the trailer is right, it's right 😃

Folks here also recommend finding a 1 or 2 year old unit that is gently used - you know, the person who buys it without knowing exactly what they want (or want to do) - use it twice and stick it in storage for a year.

Good luck whatever you choose!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 09:21 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Austin , Texas
Thanks for your comments. What do you think a 2015 lightly used vs a new 2015 should go for? The MSRP for a 2016 Airstream Serenity 25FB with leather is around $93,000. $74,400 would be 20% off that price. I have trouble paying that + tax for a trailer I believe people would offer me $52k for after I drive it off the lot. It just feels frivolous to me to chase it. I don't believe any of these dealers either and most of the used ones are priced way too high because people bought new because they didn't feel like messing with getting a used one but aren't willing to take the hit.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
20% off is a good deal. If it is took much for you to justify then keep shopping. Good deals come up all the time. Be aggressive.

I bought new with about 18% discount I think. The first year has been a 55 night shakedown and had a lot of warranty work done. For this reason alone I am happy I bought new.

As I always say, your mileage may vary!!
Old 01-11-2016, 11:31 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
20% off is a good deal. If it is took much for you to justify then keep shopping. Good deals come up all the time. Be aggressive.

I bought new with about 18% discount I think. The first year has been a 55 night shakedown and had a lot of warranty work done. For this reason alone I am happy I bought new.

As I always say, your mileage may vary!!
Old 01-12-2016, 01:01 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by troubadour1 View Post
... I have trouble paying that + tax for a trailer I believe people would offer me $52k for after I drive it off the lot. ...
Your REAL CORE issue tells me a lot.

If you know you're going to keep an Airstream 10 years or longer, how much it loses in the first year is irrelevant. If you aren't sure how long or how much you'll use an RV, then it would be prudent to dip your toe into the water rather than plunging in. Consider attending some Airstream rallies - and stay in a cabin or nearby hotel, rent or borrow any brand of RV from a friend and spend at least a week immersed in the lifestyle, and most of all LOOK at a LOT of Airstreams before you buy one. If you ran a poll here of people who traded up or down within the first couple of years, you might decide to spend MORE if you're really sure it is the right one.

For instance I really love the look of the Eddie Bauer I have, BUT if I weren't considering retirement, I'd trade it for something easier to keep warm in winter. Reflective foil insulation is my savior - but it's claustrophobic too.

Paula
Old 01-12-2016, 04:21 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
20% off a new model year Airstream is a good deal. If you are upset and or worried about depreciation when you drive it off the lot, but used. There are blue book RV sources available and I'd use those. Buying a used from a dealer is going to be more expensive than from an individual. I think the one you passed on where you offered in the low $50s and he was asking $58 was a good deal at $58, probably better at $55.

Good Luck
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 05:06 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Crystal River , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by troubadour1 View Post

I believe people would offer me $52k for after I drive it off the lot.

most of the used ones are priced way too high
This isn't making a lot of sense. You are worried about low ball offers if you sell after a few years but the late model used rigs you are seeing are priced high. Did the rig you low balled sell? Apparently Airstreams, like all material things, depreciate. But they also seem to hold their value reasonably well. And you do get something for that first year or two of depreciation. You get choice, convenience, catered to, and service after the sale. When you buy used you don't get to choose, someone else did, you have to take what's available. You certainly don't get convenience as you have to run all over creation to inspect what's available, when something suitable comes available. You certainly don't get catered to by most private sellers. And service after the sale? Forget about it.

All these little perks do cost money.
brokeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 05:38 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
I would say that we got an excellent deal on a "used" from a dealer.

It was 9 months old at the time. A 2015, when the 2016 version had just been released by Airstream. Dealer still had a New 2015 of our model on the lot, so of course had to discount the used model lower than that.

I have a smaller size so that may make a difference too.

But know that at least in our experience, dealers negotiate on the price posted for used units.

I'm not going to say what I paid, but I will say that I have never run across a lower price for the model and year we have as a posted price on the AS classifieds.

So my point being to consider used prices also negotiable. And dealers with inventory to sell and no emotional attachment may be better at offering this.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 07:32 AM   #10

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I have owned three Airstreams over the years. Two were new, one was used. We have now spent almost 1,800 Airattream nights, and have towed them over 150,000 miles.

I traded my heavily used 2005 Safari in 2013, and got over half of what I paid new. You're not going to get that on a seven year old car.

20% off of MSRP on a new Airatream is a really good deal. Late model used usually go for a pretty high price, depending on the model. The more desirable models tend to go higher.

I would highly recommend the ducted air.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 09:18 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Assuming you will keep it for a long time, I would be more concerned with buying the exact size, model, floor plan, decor, and accessories you want, rather than bargain hunting. The money you may save will soon be forgotten but the Airstream's suitability to your own preferences will decide how happy you are with it over the years.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 10:02 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Your REAL CORE issue tells me a lot.

If you know you're going to keep an Airstream 10 years or longer, how much it loses in the first year is irrelevant. If you aren't sure how long or how much you'll use an RV, then it would be prudent to dip your toe into the water rather than plunging in. Consider attending some Airstream rallies - and stay in a cabin or nearby hotel, rent or borrow any brand of RV from a friend and spend at least a week immersed in the lifestyle, and most of all LOOK at a LOT of Airstreams before you buy one. If you ran a poll here of people who traded up or down within the first couple of years, you might decide to spend MORE if you're really sure it is the right one.

For instance I really love the look of the Eddie Bauer I have, BUT if I weren't considering retirement, I'd trade it for something easier to keep warm in winter. Reflective foil insulation is my savior - but it's claustrophobic too.

Paula
On the mark, Paula.
If you can afford it ... 20% is a VERY good discount even at this time of year. As Doug said above ... The money you may save will soon be forgotten but the Airstream's suitability to your own preferences will decide how happy you are with it over the years.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 10:35 AM   #13
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
Most important is to get what you think you would be most comfortable with. Layout, ducted air or not on and on. You might save a little money hassling over price but could easily spend much more in trying to make a used (or even new) trailer fit your needs.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:36 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
In 2014 I bought a 32 ft 5th wheel, which we soon found out didn't work for us. We shopped extensively & found what we wanted, an 2016 AS 27 FB, at 20% off, which has turned out to be a "keeper" for us. 20% discounts off MSRP are there for new models if you're willing to shop for them & travel to the dealer (in our case, from Seattle to mid-CA). Our local AS dealer basically just wouldn't negotiate. All in all, we saved $7K from our local dealer's "best quote."
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 10:43 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
I agree that 20% is both pretty standard at year end and is a pretty good deal especially from a reputable dealer that invests back into their business and has both good inventory, sales people that know the product, and great service. These are important things for a long term owner especially if you are new to trailering. In the used market I'm thinking it's just like buying a car in terms of it being a bit of a roll of the dice in terms of what you really get in the end. If you are not already in touch with local owners I agree with Foiled in terms of contacting a local WBCCI chapter or renting an Airstream (Airstream 2 Go) for a weekend just to see if you like it. The "lightly used" approach is a sound approach and I personally lean that direction in terms of if and when I replace the one I have. But you have to be patient because a) everyone says their resale is lightly used (trailers don't have odometers) and b) there just aren't that many, at least around my location, that come up month to month. Sure there are tons of used ones out there but, like anything used, you just don't know what you are getting.
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 10:56 AM   #16
Proud Owner Vintage SBB

Currently Looking...
Santa Monica , California
Appreciation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black7beard View Post
Apparently Airstreams, like all material things, depreciate. But they also seem to hold their value reasonably well.
Like the market for vintage maintained or restored cars, the market has demonstrated the value of good solid vintage trailers (including '60s and earlier Airstreams) will appreciate in value rather than depreciate.

Michael
"Of the gladdest moments in human life, methinks, is the departure upon a distant journey into unknown lands... A journey, in fact, appeals to Imagination, to Memory, to Hope,—the three sister Graces of our moral being.’
Sir Richard Francis Burton
'55 Airlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 12:48 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
2016 27' Flying Cloud
Rapid City , South Dakota
Sounds like 20% off is a great deal to me. I only got about 10% off my 2015 Flying Cloud 23FB. I travel alone so didn't get the larger size. I full-time and am happy with it. Good luck and hope to meet you out there some day!
Chick Squad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 01:05 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2015 28' International
Ofallon , Missouri
In Oct we bought a 2015 28' International during end of year sales (2016s were out too so that helped also). We traded up from a used 2006 25' Safari. We did not get what we paid for the 2006 when we sold it - it sold for about $2k less than we paid after about 2 1/2 years.

Whether you buy new or used, one of the most important considerations is to get the floor plan and features you want.

Hope this helps you think about your optioins.
mpsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 01:46 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
I'm looking for my first AS. I've pretty much settled on a 2016 International Signature 23D. I'd consider buying used but... I've gotten quotes on new builds that would allow me to pick & choose what options I want at pretty close to 20% off - say about $61K optioned out. The much better finance rates, warranty, ducted air & groovy led lit awning are worth maybe at least $10K to me. So an even slightly used 2015 or 2014 model would be worth something south of $45K to me which seems impossible to find. So I'll stick to new. Just my 2 cents.
da7id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 03:33 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Having been in your shoes for about six months in purchasing our first Airstream, here are a few conclusions that we came to. If you really want to save, then you probably have to look at a well maintained Airstream prior to 2012. The bulk of the depreciation seems to happen in the first 2-3 years. We thought we'd found our perfect unit in a used '14 Flying Cloud 25' FB/Twin, then learned that for about $10,000 more we could have full warranty, ducted air conditioning, led awning lights and our choice of interior on a '16 model. For the above reasons, we decided to go new and take possession of our trailer in February. We're super excited and hope to have this AS for a very long time.
abqdor is offline   Reply With Quote