Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2022, 04:48 PM   #1
KRL

Currently Looking...
Charlottesville , Virginia
Newbie has questions…

First time RV owner - bought a 2018 25FBQ International Signature recently. Took it for a shake down trip last week at a nearby full service site. Our silver bullet worked well, but there were a few glitches that I hope y’all can advice us on.

First, the black tank rinse failed - I connected a hose but no water flowed. I presume that the gizmo (a rotating sprinkler head, I suppose) inside the tank is clogged. The only solution I have read is to put some water in the tank (via the toilet) and let it slosh around while towing. Any other advice?

Second, is the white plastic petcock for draining the fresh water tank a quarter or one-half turn throw?

My trailer is going to need new tires. Will tire stores work on a travel trailer? The RAM dealership will not. Should I just wait for next State inspection and have the dealer do it? Or, put the rig on jack stands, pull the tires and take them to a local tire store?

Thanks for your help.

KRL
KRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 05:10 PM   #2
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
First, welcome to Air Forums. Can't wait to hear more about your trailer and your plans for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRL View Post
First time RV owner - bought a 2018 25FBQ International Signature recently. Took it for a shake down trip last week at a nearby full service site. Our silver bullet worked well, but there were a few glitches that I hope y’all can advice us on.

First, the black tank rinse failed - I connected a hose but no water flowed. I presume that the gizmo (a rotating sprinkler head, I suppose) inside the tank is clogged. The only solution I have read is to put some water in the tank (via the toilet) and let it slosh around while towing. Any other advice?
There are a couple of things that could cause the black tank flush to not work, including a clogged nozzle, clogged inlet, or a check valve/vacuum break which is stuck.

There are a bunch of good threads on this topic, some with photos showing how the repairs can be done. Do a search in the blue search box above for "black tank flush" and take a look.

Quote:
Second, is the white plastic petcock for draining the fresh water tank a quarter or one-half turn throw?
Mine goes beyond 1/4 turn, but I don't need to turn it all the way to 1/2 turn to get it draining. Yours might be different so proceed cautiously till you know. These drain really slowly, so don't expect a geyser.

Quote:
My trailer is going to need new tires. Will tire stores work on a travel trailer? The RAM dealership will not. Should I just wait for next State inspection and have the dealer do it? Or, put the rig on jack stands, pull the tires and take them to a local tire store?

Thanks for your help.

KRL
Jacking the trailer and taking the wheels to a tire shop is a good way to do it. Saves the aggravation of getting into the tire shop's lot and of making sure they jack the trailer properly.

Some tire shops will work on trailers, and many here have gotten them at Discount Tire. Mine were installed at a shop in NC which normally does cars, but they had no problem doing the work out in their lot. If you have a shop in mind, best bet would be to go there in person and talk to the manager.

Whether you jack up the trailer or the shop does, be sure that you know the procedure for doing this. There is a specific spot on the frame behind the rear wheels for the jack to go. There is a sticker which says "Jack" and has an arrow. This sticker is NOT the place for the jack. It's pointing you towards a diamond shaped piece of aluminum a little inward from the sticker. This diamond is on the frame and where the jack should go.

Another way to do this is two tires (one axle) at a time. You can do this by running the tire on the other axle up on a ramp, which lifts the tire enough to remove it. There are also lots of good threads about this. Try a search for "jacking points" or "changing a tire"

Hope this helps you get started.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 05:57 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
2004 25' Safari
Williamsburg , Virginia
One possible solution on your black tank is to put a bag or two of ice into the tank (via the toilet, obviously) before you tow and let the ice work on any hard deposits in the black tank.

Your drain is probably the same as mine, and should be 1/2 turn for open/shut.

I've had tires changed at an NTB...they do the work outside their service bays. No problem.
AgBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 06:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
Ice cubs work well. Do so before you leave.driving will shake and scape the tank
VE3HIU since 1978
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 07:06 PM   #5
KRL

Currently Looking...
Charlottesville , Virginia
You folks are super helpful - thanks so much. Both the ice and ramps are clever ideas - I feel dumb for not thinking of them!

Another issue I am having is with the rear camera on the trailer. The unit that came with the trailer (Furrion shark fin camera with receiver) is laughably bad - tiny, dim screen with low quality picture and useless audio - not helpful for a rookie trailer backer! I want the
quality image that I have with my RAM 1500 cameras. Any hints on getting the existing camera to connect to my truck or installing a better (Mopar?) camera?

KRL
KRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 07:18 PM   #6
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
You folks are super helpful - thanks so much. Both the ice and ramps are clever ideas - I feel dumb for not thinking of them!

Another issue I am having is with the rear camera on the trailer. The unit that came with the trailer (Furrion shark fin camera with receiver) is laughably bad - tiny, dim screen with low quality picture and useless audio - not helpful for a rookie trailer backer! I want the
quality image that I have with my RAM 1500 cameras. Any hints on getting the existing camera to connect to my truck or installing a better (Mopar?) camera?

KRL
You're not likely to like this suggestion...it's best to learn to back the trailer without the camera. They fail, they get blinded by the setting sun, etc. Make sure you have a good technique worked out, and if you use a spotter to help you, both of you should develop a good communication system between each other. No camera can ever watch behind you as well as a spotter. Part of your system should include you getting out and looking yourself before you move the trailer backwards.

Not saying you shouldn't use the camera as an added safety tool, just that you hopefully can get to the point where you don't need it to safely back into a site.

I'll let others address the camera itself - that tech is much newer than anything we've got on ours.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 07:20 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
I pulled the old camera and installed a Haloview MC10. Uses the existing wire. Wireless to the monitor which mounts over the existing rearview mirror in the truck. It is a natural place to look for the view behind you. Muscle memory and all. I store the monitor in a large camera lens case when not in use.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 10:06 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
"First, the black tank rinse failed - I connected a hose but no water flowed. "

I've found that lower pressure systems do not have enough pressure to push past the check valve in the rinser line. Before digging further, I'd try a water spigot with good pressure (=>40 lbs) My 2 cents. Usually it takes a moment after connecting and opening valve before the sprayer actuates. Once it does, never walk away with the black tank valve closed and the sprayer operating. - Brad
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 10:57 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
You're not likely to like this suggestion...it's best to learn to back the trailer without the camera. They fail, they get blinded by the setting sun, etc. Make sure you have a good technique worked out, and if you use a spotter to help you, both of you should develop a good communication system between each other. No camera can ever watch behind you as well as a spotter. Part of your system should include you getting out and looking yourself before you move the trailer backwards.

Not saying you shouldn't use the camera as an added safety tool, just that you hopefully can get to the point where you don't need it to safely back into a site.
^1.

Wife backs trailer while I direct her from the driver's window but facing toward the trailer. I practically whisper to her "little left" to move the rear of the trailer to my left and she turns the wheel slightly left causing the trailer to move to her right, taking an occasional break to check for obstacles.

Learn to set it up. Then the truck can follow the trailer in. Lots of ways to set it up but they are all variations on a theme. After a dozen times, Team KRL will be a pro at it.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote