Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-06-2023, 12:15 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2023 23' International
Englewood , Florida
New F150 pro trailer backup working with 23FBT

I was scared when the dealer told me the other day that I needed to have the "kit" with a sensor and wiring for the feature to work - no such hardware with mine. Did lots of research and as best I can find out there was a running production change before my truck was built that allows the use of a "target" sticker.

Utilized the dealerships big rear parking that has almost no vehicles in it to try the setup. After minutes of turns and driving straight it was done. Can now backup with my hands off the steering and just turning the pro trailer knob. Interesting to watch the steering wheel go back and forth and just backup StarShine.

The stickers have a problem - the adhesive is not able to bond well to the tongue. I'm going to print a 3D adapter that will fit over (of course). We'll see how that goes. Will take a couple of days to know if that's a better idea than the tape that I used.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pro trailer backup sticker.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	367.8 KB
ID:	432875  
englewoodfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 01:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by englewoodfl View Post
I was scared when the dealer told me the other day that I needed to have the "kit" with a sensor and wiring for the feature to work - no such hardware with mine. Did lots of research and as best I can find out there was a running production change before my truck was built that allows the use of a "target" sticker.

Utilized the dealerships big rear parking that has almost no vehicles in it to try the setup. After minutes of turns and driving straight it was done. Can now backup with my hands off the steering and just turning the pro trailer knob. Interesting to watch the steering wheel go back and forth and just backup StarShine.

The stickers have a problem - the adhesive is not able to bond well to the tongue. I'm going to print a 3D adapter that will fit over (of course). We'll see how that goes. Will take a couple of days to know if that's a better idea than the tape that I used.
Your 3D printed solution would be classy! I ended up putting the sticker off the tongue because my first truck, a 2016, needed the label out there to be within its acceptable dimensions. I didn’t bother changing that with my 2019. Wht year is your truck?

You may find, by the way, you need to put a white sticker over a portion of the propane tank cover so the camera doesn’t see the reflection of the sticker. The first picture below is before I figured that out but it does help.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0432.jpeg
Views:	98
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	432879   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0770.jpeg
Views:	96
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	432880  

daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 04:05 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2023 23' International
Englewood , Florida
Truck

It's a 2023 - built a couple of months ago. I didn't put anything on the tank cover but that's an interesting suggestion. It worked without that but maybe with different sun angles I can see hoe it could be a problem. The software would need to filter our anything past the first 8 squares and the see the first 2 correctly.

Why didn't Ford use an adhesive that's will stick? The 23FBT is a 2023 - not like it's 50 years old with some weird surface.
Old 06-07-2023, 08:49 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by daleyocum View Post
Your 3D printed solution would be classy! I ended up putting the sticker off the tongue because my first truck, a 2016, needed the label out there to be within its acceptable dimensions. I didn’t bother changing that with my 2019. Wht year is your truck?

You may find, by the way, you need to put a white sticker over a portion of the propane tank cover so the camera doesn’t see the reflection of the sticker. The first picture below is before I figured that out but it does help.
Do you lose the sticker on tight turns? Just wondering. That was my problem when I had the Blue Ox.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 09:09 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
It's a 2023 - built a couple of months ago. I didn't put anything on the tank cover but that's an interesting suggestion. It worked without that but maybe with different sun angles I can see hoe it could be a problem. The software would need to filter our anything past the first 8 squares and the see the first 2 correctly.

Why didn't Ford use an adhesive that's will stick? The 23FBT is a 2023 - not like it's 50 years old with some weird surface.
On my old 2016 F150 it would loose the sticker all the time and sun angles really mattered. On my 2019 truck the sun angles seem to matter less and we almost never loose the sticker, but then we had the white sticker on the propane tank cover by then. I can’t definitively say it’s necessary with new trucks but sure can hurt.

I have a Blue Ox hitch and it never looses the sticker on tight turns, but then my sticker is slightly off the frame on that 2x1 aluminum.

The stickers seem to want a nice even, smooth, surface. Mine has never even started to peal off the 2x1 aluminum. It might have problems sticking to a 3D printed surface as well because of all the ridges. You might consider doing what I did with the 2x1 or attaching a flat piece of metal for the sticker where yours is now. Perhaps even using beefy neodymium magnets?
Old 06-07-2023, 09:25 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Oriental , North Carolina
I had a problem with my 2019 F-150 reading the sticker. I think the power jack gets in the way. I did not have my sticker offset like Dale Yokum but had it on the tongue like Englewoodfl. Maybe offsetting would help.
Captn.Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 06:47 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2020 23' Flying Cloud
Reno , Texas
Will this backup sticker work with a ProPride hitch?
missaviatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 07:12 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2023 23' International
Englewood , Florida
ProPride

The sticker is 2" x 5". With the kludge it's working but I'm sure what I have will fail soon. You do need a clear line of sight from the sensor (camera) that's at the top of the tailgate to the B&W target. Unless the hitch gets in the way I'd think it would work. Mine is on the right hand side to avoid the breakaway.

Right now I'm 3D printing a PETG high temp 6mm high spacer adapter that I'm going to epoxy in place and then epoxy the sticker to. We'll see.
Old 06-09-2023, 05:24 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2023 23' International
Englewood , Florida
Finish

Final version installed. Both the spacer and the target are epoxied on. We'll find out next week how it goes.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Airstream-target-final.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	315.6 KB
ID:	432960  
Old 06-09-2023, 09:20 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by missaviatrix View Post
Will this backup sticker work with a ProPride hitch?
It’s expecting a conventional hitch that pivots around the ball. On a Propride it would be confused on turns. It would likely help for backing up straight for long distances if that’s of interest but kind of a limited use case.
Old 06-09-2023, 09:23 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Final version installed. Both the spacer and the target are epoxied on. We'll find out next week how it goes.
Pretty classy! Report back how it goes, especially on full turns left and right. Sure looks better than my 2x1 aluminum extension.
Old 06-10-2023, 07:36 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2023 23' International
Englewood , Florida
Tested

When doing the setup at the Ford dealer's large and nearly vacant back lot did some pro trailer knob turning - kinda cool. Surprise - the AS backup camera didn't work - turned out it was on channel 2 and it needed to be on channel1 - good to know before we leave. Support was quick to guide me to the solution.
Old 06-14-2023, 12:15 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Edmonton , Alberta
The kit your dealer referenced includes a YAW sensor that goes on the trailer frame instead of using the target as well as TPMS for the trailer. Also to be able to view the trailer camera on the Ford screen. It's pricey tho, about 1K.
jimro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 12:33 PM   #14
Jwf
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
2018 33' Classic
Ashburn , VA
2019 Expedition

On my 2019 Expedition I had no problem with my International 25FB. I just got a2023 F150. The setup is different. Gone are taking all the measurements and now you just drive it till it figures out all the dimensions.
Jwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 05:31 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2023 23' International
Englewood , Florida
No measurements

I didn't have to make any measurements with my F150. But I did need a big parking lot without any obstructions. Only 2 locations by me that were a possibility - the paved area behind the Ford dealer where the old building was and the Walmart truck dock.
I did 3D print an adapter so the sticker was completely flat although I did get it to work with part of it on the collar for the jack. Had to epoxy it down.
Old 04-04-2024, 08:43 AM   #16

2023 28' Flying Cloud
Bluffton , South Carolina
Did that work?
Starr Barnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 07:19 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2023 23' International
Englewood , Florida
Yes. I use the pro trailer backup all the time - much more comfortable than doing it the old fashioned way. I never tried but I think it has an limit so that you can't run the back of the truck into the trailer.
Old 04-18-2024, 02:13 PM   #18

2023 28' Flying Cloud
Bluffton , South Carolina
Sticker

So after the ford dealership said they couldn’t help me I went to the airstream dealership and they had the fix asap.
Put a piece of cardboard between the lift post and the aluminum propane cover which reflects sunlight at certain angles. They even put the sticker on the frame itself next to the post which isn’t wide enough to be flat but so far it works!rather than tape on the cardboard I’m going to remove it when on the road.
Starr Barnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 04:39 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2023 23' International
Englewood , Florida
Ford Backup

This is my solution - a 3D printed part that's epoxied to the frame and doesn't require modifications. If you know someone with a 3D printer I can send you the .stl file. And ready to go.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Airstream-target-spacer.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	240.4 KB
ID:	442864  
Old 04-19-2024, 05:36 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2024 28' Flying Cloud
Jackson , New Jersey
Quote:
This is my solution - a 3D printed part that's epoxied to the frame and doesn't require modifications. If you know someone with a 3D printer I can send you the .stl file. And ready to go.
You should start printing them and offering them up for sale. I don’t have access to a 3D printer, but I’d consider Venmo’ing you for a pair !

Ordered: 2024 FC 28RBT, scheduled to build 5/16

S1njin is offline   Reply With Quote