Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2016 - Current International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-21-2020, 09:54 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Dadeville , Alabama
Leak at bathroom vent, maybe?

Noticed water dripping above toilet near the pop up vent after some heavy rain in North Carolina about 3 weeks ago. Took a look on top and saw nothing unusual. No seam in roof near the vent for water to enter and the rivets near the vent looked good as well. There is a rubber seal of some type under the vent where it contacts the roof. Has anyone had any problem with a leak at the vent? Are there screws accessible from inside the bathroom so I might tighten the vent snugger to roof? I probably should call AS about a replacement seal as well.
Thanks
Dlat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 10:29 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Easton , PA
Might not be the fan vent, but the vent stack pipe. Many folks have had the same issue and the vent stack fix addressed it.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f45...in-200768.html
Old 11-22-2020, 08:38 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Port Sanilac , Michigan
Their should be a weather strip type gasket on the black/smoke cover. Some apparently were shipped with no gasket. Some the gasket has crumbled to dust. I pulled the cover from the roof side, two acres and replaced the gasket with 1/4 x 1/2 ish adhesive backed sponge weather stripping. Easy job. Should fix the leak.
pontzdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 08:39 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Port Sanilac , Michigan
Two screws. Not acres.
pontzdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 08:45 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Possible Pop Up Vent Leak?

On the roof the vent lid is held on by 2 screws. Remove them and take lid off. Remove the silly piece of foam tape in the lid (it is rubbish) and reinstall lid. If the leak was from the vent lid you are now all good. I removed that crappy little foam tape from both of my pop up vents on our FC 25 and no more problem. The lid now pulls down further when you close it from the inside resulting in more overlap of the lid up on the roof. I did this on our previous AS also.

I wash our AS fairly often and have pulled it in some pretty hard rain and no water gets in the vent lid. Easy fix.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 08:54 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloBuckeye View Post
Might not be the fan vent, but the vent stack pipe. Many folks have had the same issue and the vent stack fix addressed it.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f45...in-200768.html
I had the same issue and i fixed it the same way as in this link. You need to remove the two white vents and silicone the tapered pipe to the bottom of the vent. Heavy rain causes water to splash into the vent. The water goes down the vent and out of the gap between the pipe and vent. ...right into the ceiling!!!
s1000pre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 09:18 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
As mentioned, it is possible the leak is elsewhere. Water can travel a fair distance on the inner skin before dripping out of a penetration or seam. My solar connector plugs warped in the hot sun and separated from the foam seal causing it to leak. the water traveled forward and down until it came out at the vent fan.

In addition to the vent stack as mentioned, Use a level on the inside skin and go uphill from the drip to identify all possible leak points. Use painters tape to tape off anything that could leak. then spray the trailer for 15-30 minutes with a wide spray nozzle and see if you have a leak. Gone? Untape a bit at a time and repeat untill you locate the source.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 09:29 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
On mine there is a small piece cut out of the circular gutter at the top of the vent. When the AS is on flat ground, no problem, rain drains out that small cut and onto the shell. If you're parked on a slant where the street/port/left side is raised the rain goes over the top of that gutter and down the vent, past the fan and onto the floor. Last winter that happened to me, rain got past the vent cap and into the circular gutter, onto the vinyl and stained it. It was in storage and I didn't discover it until I checked on it a month later. It had never leaked before, heavy storms, snow... never. So I recommend replacing the gasket. I used EPDM material which should last a long time.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 12:02 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Once when there was a hard, driving rain, there were a couple of water drops on the floor in front of the toilet. I told a fellow ASer about it and he said not to worry about it, that it was the heavy rain that caused it. I checked the exterior vent seal and it looked good. Because I seldom use that vent, I left well enough alone. Every time it rains hard though, I go and check that spot and it has not reoccurred.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 12:34 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Murfreesboro , Tennessee
Leak in the Bath.

Had the same issue in my 2018 FC. Took it three times and didn’t fix. They had tried to seal it. They sealed the inside and put a smoke machine inside. It turned out to be the vent stacks from the a black and grey tanks. Thank the factory ones off and throw them in the garbage and get you some replacements that are shaped like mushrooms that won’t allow rain to get in or bounce off the roof in a pouring rain. One of the vents is on a slight angle and it’s not sealed to the pipe because of the angle an allows water to run down the side of the vent pipe into the sealing. Seal the new vents when you install them. Total cost for new vents and sealant about $30.00. Good luck. It’s Been almost 2 years and no problem since I replace the factor ones.
dnsapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 01:15 PM   #11

Columbia , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlat View Post
Noticed water dripping above toilet near the pop up vent after some heavy rain in North Carolina about 3 weeks ago. Took a look on top and saw nothing unusual. No seam in roof near the vent for water to enter and the rivets near the vent looked good as well. There is a rubber seal of some type under the vent where it contacts the roof. Has anyone had any problem with a leak at the vent? Are there screws accessible from inside the bathroom so I might tighten the vent snugger to roof? I probably should call AS about a replacement seal as well.
Thanks

Had the same problem on my Serenity FBQ. Check your black tank vent flange. Mine was cracked I removed it, replaced, sealed it better than original seal job. No problems since then,
ELPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 11:49 PM   #12
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
I have had vents sweat in high humidity and the water drops collect and drip off. Thought I had a leak. I took the bathroom vent out and installed a Fantastic Fan.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 08:58 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
East Hills , New York
I have/hd a leak dripping on toilet, near back of toilet on a 27 Globetrotter FB. I also had the weather stripping on the bathroom fan beak loose and was hitting the fan blades making noise. Colonial replaced the weatherstripping last week. Still under warranty so I didn't do it myself. They told me the leak was due to the bathroom fan weatherstripping. This remains to be seen if they used it as a convenient excuse or they actually checked it out thoroughly. Of interest is that they said they replaced the seal with their own 3M seal, not with the factory seal from Airstream. They said the seal Airstream uses on the fans is poor quality and they have problems with it. Hope this gives you some insight.

Charlie
milesinmyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 05:28 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Just a BTW - when I had my orientation on new AS, the dealer told me that when I opened or closed the shower or bathroom vents, to always use a twisting action. So I did. This past season, the shower fan stopped working. I had the repair done locally which was to replace the weather stripping on the exterior which had come loose and looked a bit ragged when tech held it up to me. I mentioned to the tech how I was taught to open and close the vent and he said to stop doing that, open it straight up and down. Twisting it open and closed may have shifted/warped the outside weatherstripping. Always learning.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 10:32 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Mobile , Alabama
Same problem on our 2020 27GT-FB (you would think they AS would have fixed this by now!). Added 4 inch PVC end cap (make sure sch. 40 PVC with 4.5 in inside diameter) over stack vents, secured with Alien tape (Home Depot/Lowe's) underneath cap - to - vent top joint (so no drilling or permanency but secure when on the road). This should prevent sideways rain from coming into the vulnerable factory stack vent. Also, added better rubber seal around the toilet and shower push-up vent cover (as others discuss below) that is pure junk (uses foam weather stripping that tears up and jams the fan). Jury still out as we haven't been in a hard rain yet, but simple fix if it works.

PVC end cap : Genova Products 70154 PVC DWV Cap 4" from Amazon

Good luck.
Frank
water007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 12:13 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
San Anselmo , California
On the roof the vent lid is held on by 2 screws. Remove them and take lid off. Remove the silly piece of foam tape in the lid (it is rubbish) and reinstall lid. If the leak was from the vent lid you are now all good. I removed that crappy little foam tape from both of my pop up vents on our FC 25 and no more problem. The lid now pulls down further when you close it from the inside resulting in more overlap of the lid up on the roof. I did this on our previous AS also.

I wash our AS fairly often and have pulled it in some pretty hard rain and no water gets in the vent lid. Easy fix.

We had this same problem. The vent seal up top comes from Airstream with CHEAP foam. Replace this, and the same foam over the shower vent with good quality rubber window gasket material available at Lowes. While you're at it, the same material can be used to replace the same cheap foam on your screen door! The replacement rubber gasket comes with self sealant, but put a dab of caulking where the two ends meet. Problem solved permanently!
ondaroadagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 03:58 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sequim , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlat View Post
Thanks
Yes, I had problems with the pop up vents in both the lavatory and shower on my 2019 25’ FC. I caught them before leaks, a few months apart within 6 months of purchase. The problem I had was the foam insulation seal came lose in both instances. It’s a 15 minute job to remove two screws in the exterior of the vent. Then replace the crappy foam seal with good quality self-adhesive door seal of the same size from Home Depot/Lowes/etc.

A step ladder is sufficient. No need to go on the roof.
WestieHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 06:43 AM   #18
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
I had issues with this for a while , don't feel bad. They did apply the vent stack fix at the dealer...other observations & issues are relevant too though, seemingly most of them for my unit...

What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything! H. P. Lovecraft
wave man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 06:06 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2008 23' International
Berkeley , California
Leak?

Well I was washing my 23D and forgot to close the fan vent in bathroom! So indeed found water in front of the toilet. While looking for the leak I saw the lousy foam weatherstrip had half fallen off so like others here I simply removed it. I understand one can replace it with better quality stuff but others in this thread say not needed really.
And always check you close that bathroom vent! 😅. I typically leave it open all year round.
RedwoodDrmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 08:03 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedwoodDrmz View Post
Well I was washing my 23D and forgot to close the fan vent in bathroom! So indeed found water in front of the toilet. While looking for the leak I saw the lousy foam weatherstrip had half fallen off so like others here I simply removed it. I understand one can replace it with better quality stuff but others in this thread say not needed really.
And always check you close that bathroom vent! 😅. I typically leave it open all year round.
I didn't know the foam on ours was missing for a long time. I moved it to a new storage location and the lot sloped so my AS was higher on the left/port/street side. When it rained water got in through a small cut in the rim that holds the foam. It's hard to explain but the cut is designed to be there for draining but if the AS is higher on that side water can get in. Because it was in storage I didn't realize it for a month. Vinyl floor is stained now, will have to try bleach to clean it.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote