Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2019, 02:33 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Grand Rapids , Alaska
Leak!

After a brief but hard rain, we have water dripping inside our airstream. 2016 international, doesn’t seem possible but its leaking. In kitchen through one of the overlapping seams. Could be coming in from around the sky light?
Dadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 03:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Get thee to any RV dealer with a Sealtech machine. It basically pressurizes the trailer, then you spray the outside with soapy water and leaks leave bubbles! Worth the money.

But, the skylight is a prime suspect — my sister in laws rig had a leaky skylight that looked okay but a heavy rain would get a nice leak going.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 12:26 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Grand Rapids , Alaska
I’m looking at the roof of my 2016. Caulking around skylight looks ok but it’s leaking. I Have some self leveling lap seal that I’d like to try sealing it with. I I can easily reach the center from a ladder. I don’t want to step onto to roof.
Old 10-03-2019, 05:33 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
Leak!

Check all the caulking especially door panels windows and roof
rintintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 06:32 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Grand Rapids , Alaska
Seems that it is a ignored area of our rigs that need more regular attention for sure. I noticed that the sealant around the fan is peeling too.
Old 10-03-2019, 07:41 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
We noticed a leak in our 2019 Airstream the first time we camped in a really heavy thunderstorm. Water seemed to be intruding through the rear Fantastic Fan getting the kids' beds wet. The service department found gaps/voids in the sealant. Clearly, it left the factory like this since my trailer was so new. I've subsequently had everything on the roof checked and resealed, as necessary.

Here's a pic of what they found on my brand new trailer.

jaybauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 06:41 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Grand Rapids , Alaska
I’m going to use the self leveling lap seal anywhere I see spots that look as if the factory caulk has crack or peeling. I will clean each spot remove peeling silicone. I would say everyone should take a look at the openings on the roof. The factory may have thought it passed the “inspection”.But the sunshine and freezing and wind with rain while traveling take a tole on it. Especially if the factory didn’t quite have done a good job.
Old 10-04-2019, 07:27 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
It is recommended that you inspect the caulking every year. Mine needed to be replaced after only 2 years; it was not done correctly at the factory. The only right way to do this is remove the old caulk, prep the surfaces and recaulk. You might get by with patching, but it is not optimal. There are many better products to use on the roof, better than what Airstream uses. Almost anything West Marine sells is better. Silicone is probably the worst compound to use, for future touch up repairs.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 08:01 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadams View Post
After a brief but hard rain, we have water dripping inside our airstream. 2016 international, doesn’t seem possible but its leaking. In kitchen through one of the overlapping seams. Could be coming in from around the sky light?
Dadams, sounds like the same problem we had with our 2019 Globetrotter. It turned out to be coming from the black tank vent. The fix is really simple if you're comfortable on a ladder.

Here's the tread to my post with the fix (starts at post# 23):
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f456...in-200768.html

The Siphon 360 vent has a funnel that should be glued to the cap which directs any rainwater into the tank. Airstream sets the funnel in the stack pipe rather than gluing it which lets water go around and inside the trailer if they don't properly seal the stack pipe.

With the funnel glued in it eliminates the problem. One of my two stack pipes was sealed all the way around but the other wasn't - that's the one that leaked!.

*Our 2018 FC23FB had a leak but we traded it before I figured it out. Seems that every Airstream has the funnel set in, not glued to the cap.

Good luck!
Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	funnel fix.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	168.5 KB
ID:	353571  
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 11:59 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Grand Rapids , Alaska
Lap seal worked, the leak is gone. Give the entire roof penetrations all a good inspection. Factory seal looks good everywhere else. The takeaway from this is good, cause now I will keep a closer eye on these areas.
Old 10-05-2019, 08:43 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadams View Post
Lap seal worked, the leak is gone. Give the entire roof penetrations all a good inspection. Factory seal looks good everywhere else. The takeaway from this is good, cause now I will keep a closer eye on these areas.

Lap seal is a quick fix but you will be redoing it every year. You might want to look at 3m tape which will last for years and it’s easy to remove .
rintintin is offline   Reply With Quote