Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-22-2023, 11:18 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2023 23' International
Englewood , Florida
Question Is the MaxxAir Roof Fan Vent Cover a good idea?

We're going to orientation tomorrow but in looking at the dealers service board photo I saw that they install the Max (sp?) Air Cover for $145.95. Is it a good idea to get this installed?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tampa-service-board.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	364.4 KB
ID:	429374  
englewoodfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 12:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Schaumburg , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by englewoodfl View Post
We're going to orientation tomorrow but in looking at the dealers service board photo I saw that they install the Max (sp?) Air Cover for $145.95. Is it a good idea to get this installed?
There are mixed opinions on this ... here is my first hand experience. I installed a pair of the MaxxAir covers myself (my 25' has single AC unit, so I have 2 fans) and my overwhelming reason to do so was try to get a situation where my fans would operate all night in mild to moderate precipitation. I don't like A/C and only use it when it is so hot/humid I can't sleep, and too many times I have had my fans auto-close in the middle of the night due to moisture sensors. There is a fine line here, because that is also an important protection in the event of a heavy rain or a wind driven rain ... need the auto-close to help protect the interior in those situations. After installing the covers, I found no meaningful change in my auto-close dilemma, they continued to close when I wanted them to stay open, the moisture sensors were still initiating that sequence, so for me, they were *not* worth the cost. My solution was to replace the factory issue Fantastic fans entirely ... I now have the MaxxAir fan, with integrated manual close lids (no moisture sensor) that are designed to prevent rain from entering .... I am much much happier with that as my solution. I did both jobs myself, and although the fans cost significantly more than the simple plastic covers, they are providing the solution that I was after. Hope that helps you.
1StreamDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 12:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2022 23' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1StreamDream View Post
After installing the covers, I found no meaningful change in my auto-close dilemma, they continued to close when I wanted them to stay open, the moisture sensors were still initiating that sequence, so for me, they were *not* worth the cost. My solution was to replace the factory issue Fantastic fans entirely ... I now have the MaxxAir fan, with integrated manual close lids (no moisture sensor) that are designed to prevent rain from entering .... I am much much happier with that as my solution. I did both jobs myself, and although the fans cost significantly more than the simple plastic covers, they are providing the solution that I was after. Hope that helps you.

Wow, we have a polar opposite experience. In the rainy Pacific Northwest, with the MaxxAir vents over our Fantastic Fans, our fans have never once closed due to moisture. We're able to run them (or just leave them open) through rainy weather and keep the air fresh. Since we camp year round, rain, snow, sun, they have been great for us.

I guess YMMV.

We had our dealer install them, so maybe there are some tricks in the install, some adjustments to the sensors perhaps, that is needed?
hikingcamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 01:11 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2023 23' International
Englewood , Florida
Perhaps depending on year/model the sensor is located differently or has a different sensitivity.

I watched a YT video. The install looks really easy even with us getting a factory solar setup. Just have to measure carefully.
Old 03-22-2023, 01:40 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
I have the Max Air cover for several season, my fan isn’t auto close, so it operates as I need , no rain or moisture leaks. I usually leave it slightly open between trips but not for forecast torrential rain forecasts just to be safe. It was about $150 installed. The only downside is it reduces light even though it’s white.
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 09:25 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Fan Covers

The factory installed Fantastic Fans are just fine. Disable the rain sensor. Takes about 10 minutes per fan to do this. Install the proper "Ultrabreeze" Fantastic Fan cover made to fit the fan. They allow the lid to open fully unlike the Maxx Covers. $145.00 each for the covers installed is highway robbery. You can purchase the proper "Ultrabreeze" covers for about $50/$60 each. Get the optional bug screens. About $15.00 each. You can easily install yourself in about 20 minutes per fan. Easy peasy install.

We are on our 2nd AS and have performed this on both the 2017 International 23D and our 2019 Flying Cloud 25RBT.

The rain sensor is a PITA. Closes the lid if I am even sweating inside the AS. With the proper "Ultrabreeze" covers it has to rain danged heard and be blowing just right to have any water come in. Have at it.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 09:39 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We just got rid of the Fantastic OEM fans in both trailers after the ink was try on the purchase paperwork and installed complete Maxx fans. Never had any issues.

Our 2014 Classic made in January 2014 and our 2015 23D International Serenity made in September of 2014 have had great and quiet air flows. We also replaced the skylights with Magnum units.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 09:45 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2022 23' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
We just got rid of the Fantastic OEM fans in both trailers after the ink was try on the purchase paperwork and installed complete Maxx fans. Never had any issues.

Our 2014 Classic made in January 2014 and our 2015 23D International Serenity made in September of 2014 have had great and quiet air flows. We also replaced the skylights with Magnum units.

I’ve heard the Maxx fans are much quieter. If we didn’t have perfectly working fans and covers now, we’d totally switch.
Old 03-23-2023, 10:28 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Boise , ID
Those prices are in line with what I see in the PNW.

Pick your poison here. I don’t love ladders so I paid the “outrageous” $150 for the cover, but installed my own lithium batteries. As far as the cover, I’d consider it compulsory. It’s so nice to run the thermostatically controlled fan without worrying about the weather.
Bunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 10:38 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2022 23' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker View Post
Pick your poison here. I don’t love ladders so I paid the “outrageous” $150 for the cover…

Same. And our Airstream roof is crowded. I don’t even have a ladder I’d feel comfortable using to transfer to and from the roof of our Airstream. Wellbeing is priceless.
Old 03-23-2023, 11:25 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Flying Cloud
Wake Forest , North Carolina
I would venture to say that your money is better spent on replacing your Fantastic Fan with a MaxxAir fan, rather than using a cover. The covers, over a Fantastic Fan actually reduce the air flow. The replacement MaxxAir fan can be run in forward or reverse (suck air in or out) moves more volume of air, is quieter, can be left in the open position while in storage, or even in travel, comes with a remote, and more
27ftToaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 11:48 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Vashon Island , Washington
I've considered the covers on my trailer with two fantastic fans. I too live in the pacific northwest and want to be able to operate the fans when is it damp outside. I haven't purchased the covers because I don't like how high they stick up and I think they might partially block the sun from my solar panels. Also, my fantastic fans will not open when there is condensation on the inside because the moisture trips the rain sensor. Even morning dew in the summer will sometimes make them close (which is not very quiet and wakes me up )So even if it is sunny and dry outside I can't open my vents in the morning, which also means that if it's raining outside and I want to take advantage of the vent cover I wouldn't be able to open it anyway. I suppose if I did have the vent cover I would figure out a way to disable the rain sensor. YMMV
I'm probably going to look into the Maxxfan in the future, I would really like to be able to leave a vent open while driving.

Oh, and $145 seems a little steep to me but I guess would be worth it if you don't have the time or inclination to get up there, which I can totally understand.
AlIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 02:03 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
Lorena , Texas
Are the covers worth $145 installed? Probably not. After you get the ladder out they take about 10 minutes.

Do you want covers? The deciding factor for me was the dogs. When we leave for a couple of hours or stop at a restaurant on the road, the dogs go in the trailer with the fans on full. Covers are absolutely essential because it rains sometimes. Even in Texas.
lemley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 02:46 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Tucson , Arizona
Bright Skies

Two years ago I replaced my 30 year old Fantastic Fan with a MaxxAir deluxe unit having a ‘smoke’ colored cover. Unfortunately the smoke wasn’t thick enough to keep out the scorching Arizona sun so I added the cover. Ten minutes to install at a cost of about $45. However, I already had the MaxxAir Fan, so installation only required putting in a couple of pins. My only negative comment is that the inside of the unit tends to collect dust on the smoke cover. It’s a bit unsightly, but better than fading my fabrics and making it hard to sit out of the brightness on some sunny days.
Hikingsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 03:13 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2021 23' Flying Cloud
SAINT PETERSBURG , FL
Replaced one Fantastic fan with MaxxAir fan

Only did this to get a remove control. My wife could not reach the controls of the Fantastic fan. What I love is it has a remote. It doesn't need a cover. It works when it rains because it keeps the rain out without a rain sensor and can stay open. When off, it closes and has a very low profile. But it is expensive.
Anyone need to replace their Fantastic Fan. I have an extra.
Seabrat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 04:05 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Ditto exactly what uraljohn did (got the Ultrabreeze Fantastic fan covers) and they work great; and would address the OP's problem perfectly. I think it was ural john posting this same advice a while back that encouraged me to do it.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 04:29 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I think the fan covers are a good idea. I have the Fantastic Fan covers and like them. I expect the Max Air would be equally as good. I had fans without covers for years but always worried that they might not close if it rained and spent a few nights listening to it open and close. I think the fans covers do restrict maximum air flow a little but if it is hot enough for that to be a problem we switch to AC.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 06:27 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatLee View Post
Ditto exactly what uraljohn did (got the Ultrabreeze Fantastic fan covers) and they work great; and would address the OP's problem perfectly. I think it was ural john posting this same advice a while back that encouraged me to do it.
Thanks for the positive reply. Why replace brand new Fantastic Fans with Maxx Fans? Someday, way into the future, if our Fantastic Fans fail, I might consider switching brands. I am going to get my $$$ worth out of the original Fantastic Fans. They work great for us. So far, we have about 500 nights in our 2019 Flying Cloud 25 RBT and the fans are still humming along. Again, thanks for positive review.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 06:52 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
BTW - you can manually open your fan covers when fans are not running. I do this during when I'm heating the trailer to keep condensation at bay.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 05:47 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2023 23' International
Englewood , Florida
Thanks

We decided to skip the cover and see how it goes. We're in SW Florida so here the major weather is high temps and the occasional monsoon rain. It's tricky to forecast rain as we're only 4 miles from the gulf - things can change quickly.

Thanks for the comments. The dealer is delivering the 23FBT next week as we don't have the new F150 yet (but that's a different story).