Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2016 - Current International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-09-2020, 10:59 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' International
Venice , Florida
GM Transparent Trailer camera install

Has anyone installed one of the GM furnished cameras to the rear of their Airstream? The part number is 84876819.

Since the 53' harness is attached at one end to the camera and at the other end to the coax connector and cannot be separated, I'm open to ideas on running this from back to front of the AS. The camera should mount on or above the "International" plate on rear. I'm good with securing it above the body pan, but getting it into the body and down is my issue. Open to all suggestions. Many thanks!
LivinRiveted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 12:14 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Unhappy Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

I am working on the very same GM camera installation on my 2020 Silverado 2500. So far, I have done a test installation with mounting the camera inside the rear glass. This does not seem to work as the glass reflection does not allow the rear camera image to "knit" into the overall invisible trailer image after several test runs.

My next step is to install the camera on the outside of the trailer. This will happen in the very near future. I will keep you posted on my progress.

As far as routing the cable, I am temporarily routing it through the inside of the trailer for my camera test runs. I am still considering my cable routing options once I get the camera working properly.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 12:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
The cable CAN be separated from the camera....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivinRiveted View Post
Has anyone installed one of the GM furnished cameras to the rear of their Airstream? The part number is 84876819.

Since the 53' harness is attached at one end to the camera and at the other end to the coax connector and cannot be separated, I'm open to ideas on running this from back to front of the AS. The camera should mount on or above the "International" plate on rear. I'm good with securing it above the body pan, but getting it into the body and down is my issue. Open to all suggestions. Many thanks!
I have installed camera on the back of my Airstream and run the cable through the inside of the trailer. The cable is completely hidden (under beds, behind cabinets, under showers, through storage lockers, etc.). There are 2 penetrations through the exterior: One at the camera location on the rear and one through the floor of the front exterior storage locker. For my trailer, this was an easier option than going through the belly pan.

One challenge with this camera system is the gigantic size of the connector plug, which makes it very difficult to thread cable through tight spaces. One might be tempted to remove the end connector, thread the cable, then try to re-crimp. Do NOT do this, as the obscure Fakra Z connector that GM has selected is nigh impossible to reconnect. Instead, disassemble the camera body itself (IIRC, this took a small tamper-proof Torx bit) and you'll find you can easily disconnect the cable. You can then thread the cable front to back and then connect everything back nice and tighty at the camera. (Ask me how I know...)

For my application, the optimum camera height corresponds to a location just above the Flying Cloud plate, so the rear penetration is designed to be minimally invasive and looks pretty good. Here are a few pics of the camera on the rear and the view inside my truck.

EDIT...based on some advice I was given by a GM employee on another forum, you may have to "fudge" the numbers on the trailer dimensions when entering up the transparent trailer settings. The system assumes a boxy trailer. Since our aluminum babies have a rounded front face, I added 3" to dimension #6. After the system recalibrated, the invisible view is quite seamless. Here are my settings before I added the fudge factor:

jaybauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 01:07 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' International
Venice , Florida
Many thanks! If you look at the response from jaybauman, he suggests that you can separate the cable at the camera end, then reattach outside the trailer. Running the wire inside seems like the way to go. I will update with photos when done.
Old 09-09-2020, 01:10 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' International
Venice , Florida
Thank you very much. I have said Torx bits and am up for the challenge. This simplifies the process, as I will now run the cable inside the trailer and from front to back instead of the reverse. I ordered the truck in May 2019 and got the camera this week. Anxious to see what you see! Regards,
Old 09-10-2020, 11:02 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Non-Permanent GMC Rear TRAILER Camera Install

On my FC 25FB, I installed the camera centered just above the rear window, mounted with 3M adhesive Tape. I then routed the cable over the top of the trailer using the GMC supplied adhesive pads and zip-ties. I placed the cable to follow the seam between the curved aluminum above the road-Side and the white painted top of the trailer.

I routed the cable down past the front of the road-side awning, behind the rock guard, and coiled the excess cable under the jack.

It is barely noticeable, and Have had no issues about 4000 miles over the past 20 months.

not the best photo, but hopefully you can see the routing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2531.jpg
Views:	515
Size:	198.9 KB
ID:	378163  
amaier7771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 12:03 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaier7771 View Post
On my FC 25FB, I installed the camera centered just above the rear window, mounted with 3M adhesive Tape.

I'm curious about your setup. Mounting the camera above the rear window suggests that you're outside of the optimum location that GM recommends. Did you get the transparent trailer witchcraft to work with this configuration?

If so, did you have to fudge any of the parameters in the setup menu? What is the length of your trailer?
Old 09-14-2020, 09:56 AM   #8

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Yesterday I finally got Lucy's GM trailer camera mounted and tested. The results were great. The camera calibrated within two miles of driving. The multiple images were stitched together perfectly What a great tool this thing is.

I have mounted the camera to the bottom of Lucy's rear glass with heavy duty two-sided tape. If the tape were to fail, the camera would be tethered by its own cable which will be attached to the body of the trailer several inches down line.

We had originally planned to route the camera cable through the inside of the trailer, but are now considering running the cable outside along the upper or lower belt line. I will post pictures of the installation when complete.

Here are two shots of the screen with the transparent trailer camera activated. This camera set-up is really a trailer asset.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200913_121800.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	265.8 KB
ID:	378596   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200913_122254.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	219.2 KB
ID:	378597  

2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 09-14-2020, 10:05 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
Yesterday I finally got Lucy's GM trailer camera mounted and tested.
Brian

Can you share values of the 7 dimensions you used for setup?

Thanks!
Old 09-14-2020, 03:33 PM   #10

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybauman View Post
Brian

Can you share values of the 7 dimensions you used for setup?

Thanks!
Hi Jay,

No problem. Here they are:

1. Center of coupler to furthest rear point.......334"

2. Center of coupler to middle of tires.............214"

3. Left edge to right edge of the trailer............102"

4. Ground to tallest point of trailer..................118"

5. Ground to top of coupler............................22"

6. Center of coupler to trailer front wall...........37"

7. Hitch receiver to center of ball....................21"

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 01-04-2021, 01:57 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Springville , Alabama
Just purchased a 2021 GMC Sierra. About to buy the transparent trailer camera, which is the same part no. as the 2020. Checked out some online instructions, and it says to remove the bike rack (which I have) before calibrating. Question: Will the bike rack interfere with camera operation once reinstalled and bikes loaded up? I assume it would not if the camera is mounted above the bikes, but what if that is not an option and the some of the bikes are in the camera view? Would like to know before I purchase, thanks.
driftwood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 02:52 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood1 View Post
hecked out some online instructions, and it says to remove the bike rack (which I have) before calibrating. Question: Will the bike rack interfere with camera operation once reinstalled and bikes loaded up?
Follow the calibration instructions and remove the bike rack. Once everything is working correctly, you should be able to reinstall the rack and have the camera work as designed--even if the rack shows up a bit in the frame.

The calibration is a bit finicky. But once it's complete, the truck remembers the settings and you can get on with it.
Old 01-08-2021, 06:20 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Pollock , Louisiana
Upgrades to 2021 Chevy Silverado 2500 LTZ. Just order rear camera for airstream from http://gmpartswarehouse.com/ for $349.00. Was wondering how to install it. Thanks for all the input above. Can’t wait to take Happy (Airstream’s name) on a trip with new truck. 2019 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT did good job but wanted better mirrors and more cameras. The big duramax will help also. Thanks again for everyone input. I learn so much on this forum
wpugh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 06:43 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2020 23' Globetrotter
Savoy , Texas
Does the GM camera come with sound like the AS camera?
SpinWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 08:04 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2021 30RB Classic
West Sayville , New York
Jay,

Do you have photo's of the disassembly and reassembly of the camera to the wiring? Could yuse some inspiration before I do it.

Glenn

Quote:
I have installed camera on the back of my Airstream and run the cable through the inside of the trailer. The cable is completely hidden (under beds, behind cabinets, under showers, through storage lockers, etc.). There are 2 penetrations through the exterior: One at the camera location on the rear and one through the floor of the front exterior storage locker. For my trailer, this was an easier option than going through the belly pan.

One challenge with this camera system is the gigantic size of the connector plug, which makes it very difficult to thread cable through tight spaces. One might be tempted to remove the end connector, thread the cable, then try to re-crimp. Do NOT do this, as the obscure Fakra Z connector that GM has selected is nigh impossible to reconnect. Instead, disassemble the camera body itself (IIRC, this took a small tamper-proof Torx bit) and you'll find you can easily disconnect the cable. You can then thread the cable front to back and then connect everything back nice and tighty at the camera. (Ask me how I know...)

For my application, the optimum camera height corresponds to a location just above the Flying Cloud plate, so the rear penetration is designed to be minimally invasive and looks pretty good. Here are a few pics of the camera on the rear and the view inside my truck.

EDIT...based on some advice I was given by a GM employee on another forum, you may have to "fudge" the numbers on the trailer dimensions when entering up the transparent trailer settings. The system assumes a boxy trailer. Since our aluminum babies have a rounded front face, I added 3" to dimension #6. After the system recalibrated, the invisible view is quite seamless. Here are my settings before I added the fudge factor:

gln826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 08:55 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gln826 View Post
Jay,

Do you have photo's of the disassembly and reassembly of the camera to the wiring? Could yuse some inspiration before I do it.

Glenn

Hi Glenn

Unfortunately, I do not have any pics of the disassembled camera. I have sold the trailer, so I'm not much help at the moment. If it's any indication, I'm going to purchase the camera and install on my new trailer when I take possession. I expect I'll once again remove the wires from the camera itself and feed the cable front-to-back.

-Jayson
Old 01-08-2021, 10:37 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2021 30RB Classic
West Sayville , New York
We pretty much have the same rig, I have a GMC 3500 HD Duramax (2021) and a 2021 Classic 30. On the ride home from Texas to NY last week, I wished I had the GMC rearview camera. I ordered it today and will take a shot at installing it on the next warm day.

Glenn

Quote:
Hi Glenn

Unfortunately, I do not have any pics of the disassembled camera. I have sold the trailer, so I'm not much help at the moment. If it's any indication, I'm going to purchase the camera and install on my new trailer when I take possession. I expect I'll once again remove the wires from the camera itself and feed the cable front-to-back.

-Jayson
Old 01-08-2021, 10:45 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gln826 View Post
We pretty much have the same rig, I have a GMC 3500 HD Duramax (2021) and a 2021 Classic 30. On the ride home from Texas to NY last week, I wished I had the GMC rearview camera. I ordered it today and will take a shot at installing it on the next warm day.

Glenn
Have you thought about how you are going to run the cable? In my FC 30Bunk, I ran it entirely inside the coach, as the floorpan lent itself to that. I won't be able to figure out how to do it on a Classic 33 until I can get in there and look. I don't like the cable hanging off the back side. Ideally, I'll run it down the inside wall (hopefully behind cabinets!) and then come out the bottom and follow the gas line to the front.It depends on the exact height requirements and how they impact my rear bathroom cabinetry.
Old 01-08-2021, 11:08 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
My AT4 doesn't have the 'technology' package, so my side mirrors don't have the cameras underneath, I don't have the front grill camera, and my 7-pin socket doesn't have the two camera ports, it has a 4-pin plug instead. Thus, I can't do the 360 view nor use the trailer camera as a plug-in-play.

However, my understanding is that there is the socket for the camera in the wiring harness behind the rear bumper. There's a company in CO that specializes in adding on 'factory goodies' that didn't initially come w/ a vehicle, and we've begun chatting. I'm not going to be going so far as to adding front and side cameras to create a 360 view, thus couldn't create the 'invisible trailer' effect, but, I do want to look into adjusting things on my truck so that I could at least have the wired backup camera.

So, I'm really interested in paying attention to tricks in regards to routing the wire from the back to the front, be it over the top, underneath, or through the trailer.
WBCCI #1051
LNBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 11:16 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2021 30RB Classic
West Sayville , New York
One of the "beauties" of a Classic is the Alde hydronic system and the covers that protect the lines. The covers are quite tall, and I think the cable should be able to withstand the temperatures that might be found in there (100? 110?). Thats where I'm currently thinking of doing the install.

Glenn

Quote:
Have you thought about how you are going to run the cable? In my FC 30Bunk, I ran it entirely inside the coach, as the floorpan lent itself to that. I won't be able to figure out how to do it on a Classic 33 until I can get in there and look. I don't like the cable hanging off the back side. Ideally, I'll run it down the inside wall (hopefully behind cabinets!) and then come out the bottom and follow the gas line to the front.It depends on the exact height requirements and how they impact my rear bathroom cabinetry.