Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2021, 08:30 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by field & stream View Post
Perhaps the only problem here - for the unplugged among us - is that the move to all-electric is premature. At today’s prices the cost of 2-400w of solar, 200Ah of lithium batteries, and the associated electronics is several thousands of dollars. That buys a whole lot of propane!
As I become more familiar with Airstream’s mentality, it appears they are much like Apple. Apple decides wired earphones are outdated and takes the earphone jack away. The fans are livid. Or Honda when the took the CVT transmission out of the CRV and it could no longer be towed 4 wheels down.

I think AS must look at the boondocking crowd who want the freedom of going weeks without electricity as outliers. Maybe so one will come up with a portable absorption fridge to fill that gap.
jondrew55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 08:39 AM   #62
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Thank you.

By the way, the amount of electricity used by an absorption fridge while running on propane has been significantly exaggerated by the electric only fridge boosters. I have a Dometic absorption fridge, a Battle Born battery, and a Victron 712. The actual measured usage is .33 amps or 8 Ah per day - one quarter of what other members are claiming.

There is no question in my mind that if you are going to be plugged in that the advantages of compressor technology make it the clear choice. Unplugged is a different analysis with - for me - a different conclusion.

Another by the way: if electricity is so much more efficient than propane, then why doesn’t Airstream install electric only water heaters, cooktops, and ovens?
Hi

Well, I have the same gear and the same actual measurements on my absorption fridge. It's up around 1A on the model I have in my trailer.

The efficiency of the compressor fridge is in no way related to it being electric. Doing remigration by a compressor approach (regardless of how it is driven) is simply way more efficient than an absorption approach. ( efficient in terms of total energy used to get the job done). It's doing the cooling by a completely different method .....

Bob
uncle_bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 08:56 AM   #63
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew55 View Post
……..I think AS must look at the boondocking crowd who want the freedom of going weeks without electricity as outliers. Maybe so one will come up with a portable absorption fridge to fill that gap.
Bullseye! A big part of their market is folks who use their trailers as mobile residential units (full timers and snow birds), a huge part of their market is travelers who use their trailers as mobile hotel rooms, and a small part is old fashioned nature nuts who see them as the world’s best tent.

Might be the best business decision they ever made. But, I continue to think leaving propane as an option until the solar and battery technologies and costs improve would have been better.
field & stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 09:24 AM   #64
Rivet Master

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
...Might be the best business decision they ever made. But, I continue to think leaving propane as an option until the solar and battery technologies and costs improve would have been better.
With the rate of improvements in battery technology, hopefully it won't be long before they can stick a huge lithium battery pack between the frame rails just like another holding tank.

But, even if solar can keep these new batteries fully charged, they won't do squat for people who want to go camping in the woods for a week. What used to be a quiet time camping in the woods will now be interrupted with generator run time to keep the batts charged.

There will be a place for non-electric rigs moving forward, but as you say it's likely to be a small part of the Airstream market. That said, doesn't seem like it would be that hard to maintain propane as an option as long as the fridges are still being made.

Or possibly something like this will fill the gap for those wanting silence in the woods and cold food at the same time: https://www.wattfuelcell.com/portabl...watt-imperium/

These fuel cell generators seem to be coming down in price and being made with larger capacity.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 09:22 AM   #65
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
With the rate of improvements in battery technology, hopefully it won't be long before they can stick a huge lithium battery pack between the frame rails just like another holding tank.

But, even if solar can keep these new batteries fully charged, they won't do squat for people who want to go camping in the woods for a week. What used to be a quiet time camping in the woods will now be interrupted with generator run time to keep the batts charged.

There will be a place for non-electric rigs moving forward, but as you say it's likely to be a small part of the Airstream market. That said, doesn't seem like it would be that hard to maintain propane as an option as long as the fridges are still being made.

Or possibly something like this will fill the gap for those wanting silence in the woods and cold food at the same time: https://www.wattfuelcell.com/portabl...watt-imperium/

These fuel cell generators seem to be coming down in price and being made with larger capacity.
Hi

The problem with selling an absorption fridge right up to the day they close the factory is the warranty. Yes, it's an appliance and the AS three year doesn't cover it. However I very much doubt they want to explain the "we have to rebuild your trailer to put in a different fridge" to very many people in that three years after sale.

I'm very sure there is a *lot* that is not (yet) public about the phase out / plant shutdown / whatever . I'm also confident that AS and the other RV manufacturers *do* have access to way more info than we do. That's just the way this sort of thing works these days.

There's also the risk of some "news" organization going insane with "cancer causing fridge in RV's ...." sort of utter and complete nonsense. Even if it's total bunk, you don't want to be on the defense against that sort of crap.

Do I like my absorption fridge in the Classic? Of course I do. Would I swap it out for a compressor version? Not if it's still running / can be fixed. Will I be getting a compressor fridge in the Interstate? Yup, haven't had a choice there for many years .....

Bob
Old 08-23-2021, 10:25 AM   #66
Rivet Master

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

The problem with selling an absorption fridge right up to the day they close the factory is the warranty. Yes, it's an appliance and the AS three year doesn't cover it. However I very much doubt they want to explain the "we have to rebuild your trailer to put in a different fridge" to very many people in that three years after sale.

I'm very sure there is a *lot* that is not (yet) public about the phase out / plant shutdown / whatever . I'm also confident that AS and the other RV manufacturers *do* have access to way more info than we do. That's just the way this sort of thing works these days.

There's also the risk of some "news" organization going insane with "cancer causing fridge in RV's ...." sort of utter and complete nonsense. Even if it's total bunk, you don't want to be on the defense against that sort of crap.

Do I like my absorption fridge in the Classic? Of course I do. Would I swap it out for a compressor version? Not if it's still running / can be fixed. Will I be getting a compressor fridge in the Interstate? Yup, haven't had a choice there for many years .....

Bob
How difficult is it really to go from absorption fridge to a compressor fridge? Only two steps that I can see, with no need to 'rebuild the trailer'.

1) Close off the inside of the roof vent.

2) Use adapter plate to install new fridge in existing opening.

I don't see this as a problem of practicality. I see this as a problem of economics. AS decided to switch to the compressor fridges and that it made economic sense for the to limit things to this option only. They've got the know-how and resource to provide the option. They just decided not to.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 10:28 AM   #67
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
How difficult is it really to go from absorption fridge to a compressor fridge? Only two steps that I can see, with no need to 'rebuild the trailer'.

1) Close off the inside of the roof vent.

2) Use adapter plate to install new fridge in existing opening.

I don't see this as a problem of practicality. I see this as a problem of economics. AS decided to switch to the compressor fridges and that it made economic sense for the to limit things to this option only. They've got the know-how and resource to provide the option. They just decided not to.
It appears a roof vent is still used in the compressor fridge. You need to make sure you have a vent from below and above to pass air over the condenser coils. I have pictures somewhere in this thread or the other ongoing thread about compressor fridges.
Old 08-24-2021, 08:05 AM   #68
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The problem swapping *any* fridge is that these people don't use any sort of standard for the sizing. This one is a bit wider / taller than that one. They don't just drop into the same hole in the cabinetry. I think that a reasonable customer would want it to "look good" as installed.

There's also the gotcha of an owner going a bit off the rails and demanding an absorption fridge or they buy back the trailer for full price. There certainly are a number of folks who have concerns about the compressor fridges. Again, nothing you really want to deal with down the road.

Bob
Old 08-24-2021, 08:54 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
If I waited a year for a very expensive item and when it arrived it was missing some "hot-button" component I'd set my heart on I would certainly be pissed at the least. That's one of the advantages of buying off the lot or buying used. I was glad this one had a compressor fridge but now that's I've got it and see it's not really that much better performance wise than the old absorption ones I suppose this has become a "don't care" for me. The composite floor of the new models was a nice surprise. Tankless water heater, meh. But if if I were going to be taking this out off the grid somewhere and did not want to be running a generator every day to keep the fridge cold I would certainly be disappointed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

The problem swapping *any* fridge is that these people don't use any sort of standard for the sizing. This one is a bit wider / taller than that one. They don't just drop into the same hole in the cabinetry. I think that a reasonable customer would want it to "look good" as installed.

There's also the gotcha of an owner going a bit off the rails and demanding an absorption fridge or they buy back the trailer for full price. There certainly are a number of folks who have concerns about the compressor fridges. Again, nothing you really want to deal with down the road.

Bob
Old 08-24-2021, 09:22 AM   #70
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Beavercreek , Ohio
I’m wondering if anyone has considered the dual compressor model to solve the problem. A Nova Kool RFU6406 dual compressor has the same dimensions as the RFU6800. Also has the advantage of a freezer drawer vs a freezer door. Granted twice the amperage if both are running at the same time and higher cost $5-6 hundred. But if food stays cold the negatives may out weight the aggravation.
https://www.novakool.com/rfu6400-d-1
Josephine517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 08:10 AM   #71
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephine517 View Post
I’m wondering if anyone has considered the dual compressor model to solve the problem. A Nova Kool RFU6406 dual compressor has the same dimensions as the RFU6800. Also has the advantage of a freezer drawer vs a freezer door. Granted twice the amperage if both are running at the same time and higher cost $5-6 hundred. But if food stays cold the negatives may out weight the aggravation.
https://www.novakool.com/rfu6400-d-1
Hi

The "dual compressor" setup is an option on several of the larger fridges. AS does put dual compressor models in some of their motor homes.

It is unclear at this point what the running / average power penalty is with a dual compressor. It most certainly pulls 2X cooling down. How things average out in normal operation .... who knows ... ( = mine isn't here yet ....).

Bob