Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2023, 09:52 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Seattle , Washington
Downsizing from 22 Globetrotter 27 FBQ to International 23 FBT

Hello, International Forum!

I travel mostly alone, and recently, after almost 2 years of intermittent travel in the 27' GT FBQ, I have decided that it is too trailer for one person to handle, and I am jealous of the International 23' FBT. So I am thinking of trading up (or down?)

I had a few questions: The newer 2023 and I'm assuming also the 2024, both have the lithium upgrade option plus the 300 Watts of solar. What brand of batteries and how many AmpH to they (AS) or the dealer, install? Where are they installed? Do these batteries have an app available on your phone where you can monitor the SOC?

Also, the inverter. I see from the AS website that the 23 International now has a 2000 watt inverter option. Where are the inverter outlets located? Is there an outlet in the galley (between range and sink)? Is that one an inverter outlet?

With the 2000 watt inverter option, are you able to run the microwave/convection oven?

Thank you!!
2021 Ford F-150 XLT 4x2 Powerboost
BogeyPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 06:46 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2023 20' Basecamp
2024 23' International
Milford , Michigan
We just picked up our 2024 International 23 FBT this week, but let me attempt to answer your questions. (I've only spent a couple of hours in it so far)

Our dealer installed the lithium batteries (Battleborn 100ah), but I was told that is also what the factory is installing. One item to watch if you have a dealer install is the smart shunt; the manual says a factory lithium comes with the Victron smart shunt; our dealer didn't install one and I'm about to install one myself. Which answers your second question, the Victron smart shunt is the both the shunt and app I would recommend (had one on our basecamp).

No, the inverter outlets are located in the bedroom (by TV), by the dinette and in the overhead storage over the dinette. I had a same thought, sure would be nice to run a counter based coffee machine or electric kettle from an inverter socket in the galley.

No, the microwave is not on the inverter. Not sure why, it's on a 15amp breaker which is 1800 watts, so the 2000 watt should handle. But obviously with nothing else on the inverter.
SteveBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 01:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
I can’t answer your specific questions, but I can give the thread a bump by tossing in a couple of thoughts.

Under your use pattern, I think you will enjoy the downsizing. We did it (down from a 23’) and it is really noticeable how much easier in so many ways a smaller trailer is. The narrower width will be appreciated.

You seem like a guy who does his homework, and you seem to have identified the 23’ FB as best for you. Therefore you are probably correct! But, trailer world is nothing but trade offs and pluses and minuses. On the negative side the 23D has only a 48” bed but if you mostly travel solo that’s no big deal. On the plus side, you get a better “living” area upfront with a longer couch and a panoramic window. In contrast , in the FB you are either back in bed or in a marginally comfortable dinette in the kitchen. Also, since they no longer offer the 23D, you would be forced to save $$$ by buying used. Food for thought.
field & stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 02:44 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
Consider a 20FB? We have one, love ours…. It’d be fine for me solo, but yes, it’s usually just the two of us….
WBCCI #1051
LNBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 02:54 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2023 23' International
Calgary , Alberta
Trailer Size

We have a 2023 FBT International. We like the layout with the exception of the darn table. It is a narrow trailer and works well as a two person trailer, it will be a significant change from your current trailer. The added benefit is smaller, easier to pull and maneuver with, better gas mileage, smaller campsite foot print.

One additional change that we made is adding a lift kit. This allows us to go over curbs and onto our drive way without worry.

I am not sure why your inverter does not work. We have a 1000 watt and were considering upgrading it. With regards to batteries, we had the dealer supply their standard battery and will look after upgrading to lithium (400 Watts). Electrical is something Airstream does not do well.
Air2Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 03:56 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Seattle , Washington
Thanks for all the great feedback...

Good feedback as always from this forum, thank you!

Edit on my original post, "for one person, the 27' FBQ is too much trailer to handle" 🙂

The 23' floor plan has that nice bathroom with everything in one room for more privacy and that dedicated toilet space..which for me, is a big improvement over the separate toilet/sink and shower with a hallway in the middle.

I would definitely opt for the lithium upgrade. I have learned since my earlier post, that the dealer offers that smart shunt install, which is essential for me.

Last question: If I got the convection oven option, would I be able to run the microwave feature when not on shore power? With that 2000 watt inverter, one would assume the convection oven is somehow connected to that circuit (behind the unit), and it could operate when boondocking, at least for a little while...

That 23D floor plan looks great also...

Thanks again..
Old 12-03-2023, 09:49 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
You might get a good answer to your question from Airstream Customer Support:

(877) 596-6111
field & stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 09:58 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2023 28' International
Mercer County , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyPro View Post
Last question: If I got the convection oven option, would I be able to run the microwave feature when not on shore power? With that 2000 watt inverter, one would assume the convection oven is somehow connected to that circuit (behind the unit), and it could operate when boondocking, at least for a little while...
It will not. There are no changes to the wiring layout because of the new 2000W inverter. Only the same few outlets are powered by the inverter.

If you want to go to a fully inverted trailer (including the microwave/convection oven), you need to get the new Trade Wind model.
jeffb831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 01:54 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
Or, install a Victron setup the same as or similar to the one that’s in the Trade Wind…
WBCCI #1051
LNBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 02:56 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Portland , Oregon
I understand the Convection Microwave is not wired to the 2000W inverter, but IF it were, could the 2000W inverter handle it?

Cheers,

Bryan
blacklab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 03:14 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2023 23' International
Calgary , Alberta
Convection Mircowave Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
I understand the Convection Microwave is not wired to the 2000W inverter, but IF it were, could the 2000W inverter handle it?

Cheers,

Bryan
The 2000 watt inverter may be able to power the Convection Microwave. Our electric oven is attached to a 15 amp circuit breaker. It may be more a wiring issue. Of course, like any heating or cooling appliance the batteries would be quickly drained. There should be though more than enough power to heat items for a few minutes when used as a microwave. The maximum wattage large for a 15 amp breaker is about 1800 watts.

With all that said, I have looked on line and there are several threads from other trailers manufacturers about this same topic. One common concern is determining what type of inverter is installed - pure wave or modified wave, Those with pure wave seem to have had better luck. One of the common recommendations in all of these threads is installing a 3000 watt converter - which ias what I plan to do down the road.
Air2Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 06:33 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Your going to miss the 6" of extra width going to the 23'FB. We started with a 2017 International 23D. Nice rig and put 24k miles on it in 2 years. Sold it and went to a 2019 Flying Cloud 25' Rear Bed Twin. The biggest impact was the extra 6" in width. I feel for you. Changing out Airstreams is stressful. We were very lucky with our International. Sold it quickly and for almost original purchase price and got a killer deal on the Flying Cloud back in April, 2019. Good luck and happy travels.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 06:52 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by uraljohn View Post
Your going to miss the 6" of extra width going to the 23'FB. Good luck and happy travels.
Yes, I noticed that when I was at the dealer, inspecting the 23' International. I also believe it is 8 inches narrower.

But because I travel solo, I don't believe I will miss it as much as a couple would.