Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2022, 07:55 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
Ya right

Oh that cuttie lounge soft fluffy table down pillow stuff wore out within one week. Says 30 ft on it now, separate table and both of us can stretch out for TV or laptop work. Wife and I very happy with the 25 gone- Never ever thought of going back. Foam topper is on the 30 Queen bed now as were foam toppers were on the 25 twins. All trailers we used the Hypervent under mattress system. A huge comfort improvement. Happy wife happy life- She hated the 25 ft twin. Each to each own. Only thing I grant the 25 was easier towing and no need to be lifted like the 30- Ya got us on that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatLee View Post
. . . 25 twin beds that turned mean on us against the cold aluminum walls and leaked the freezing air in underneath storage lockers.

. . . horrible cramped lounge table area.

Regarding the AS twin beds and the comfort factor. The stock mattresses in my 25' FBT were greatly improved by adding these foam toppers. I sleep just as well on the road now as I do at home. Here's link:
https://www.ablifestyles.net/serene-...for-airstream/

The dinette with table and cushioned seats and backs is described as a "dinette", not "lounge." However, turning it into a bed creates an expansive area that - with throws, pillows and popcorn - makes for perfect viewing of a movie.
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 11:00 AM   #42
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' International
Gloucester , North Carolina
rodsterinfl, you wrote "In the 25's made this way, there was a swing out table to eat at the couch". Do you have any photos of that arrangement, or can you point me to any links?
Daystreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 09:32 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Life is a Highway View Post
Oh that cuttie lounge soft fluffy table down pillow stuff wore out within one week. Says 30 ft on it now, separate table and both of us can stretch out for TV or laptop work. Wife and I very happy with the 25 gone- Never ever thought of going back. Foam topper is on the 30 Queen bed now as were foam toppers were on the 25 twins. All trailers we used the Hypervent under mattress system. A huge comfort improvement. Happy wife happy life- She hated the 25 ft twin. Each to each own. Only thing I grant the 25 was easier towing and no need to be lifted like the 30- Ya got us on that one.
Regarding the twin mattress; the standard is 8" in our 2017'. Several folks have replaced with SOB matress and seem happy. After 5 years, we are considering going to the 10" twin from AS, unless someone has a "better" suggestion. We looked at them in November in JC and they were very nice. I want to go 12" but wife wants 10", so we will likely order shortly. Not too bad price wise....not really interested in a foam topper...a new mattress after 5-6 years is not bad. Think around $1000.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 05:15 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2023 27' Globetrotter
Winder , Georgia
I want to thank you all for your very helpful responses. You guys gave me exactly the info I was looking for. After carefully reading through the posts and doing my own research, I had initially decided to pursue looking at a new 28RB to replace my current 25'. That was however, until I actually talked to a dealer about it. At this point, all new orders will be for 2023 models. Unless you can find 2022 models sitting on a lot , which in the case of 28's, there are none.
New orders will be taking 12 months, which could probably extend longer given the current state of things. Supply chains are not getting better, in fact they are getting worse. A new 2023 International 28RB will hover around $145k MSRP. That's with 2 AC's which I feel are a must. No additional add-ons, no solar, & standard lead acid batteries. They told me AGM batteries are not an option anymore which I say BS, but whatever. Flying Cloud model about $8-$10k less. And...I got the line that Airstream has increased Invoice prices to dealers not relative to the increase in MSRP, thus cutting their margins so the best discounts available are 7-9%. This is the same dealer that gave me an almost 20% discount when we bought are current trailer almost 2 years ago.
And because the wait is so long for a new unit, they could not give me an accurate trade value , assuming that I would keep my current unit until the new one came in. Of course they told me they were expecting a 'dip' in the used market soon. Even if I sold mine outright for a premium, at least for me, the difference is just too much. Especially with the current state of the economy, etc.
So....all that to say that I will just keep what I have and consider making some modifications. I am very grateful and thankful for what I have and will continue to use and enjoy it!
So thanks again for all of the responses!
Bcc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 09:11 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcc75 View Post
I want to thank you all for your very helpful responses. You guys gave me exactly the info I was looking for. After carefully reading through the posts and doing my own research, I had initially decided to pursue looking at a new 28RB to replace my current 25'. That was however, until I actually talked to a dealer about it. At this point, all new orders will be for 2023 models. Unless you can find 2022 models sitting on a lot , which in the case of 28's, there are none.
New orders will be taking 12 months, which could probably extend longer given the current state of things. Supply chains are not getting better, in fact they are getting worse. A new 2023 International 28RB will hover around $145k MSRP. That's with 2 AC's which I feel are a must. No additional add-ons, no solar, & standard lead acid batteries. They told me AGM batteries are not an option anymore which I say BS, but whatever. Flying Cloud model about $8-$10k less. And...I got the line that Airstream has increased Invoice prices to dealers not relative to the increase in MSRP, thus cutting their margins so the best discounts available are 7-9%. This is the same dealer that gave me an almost 20% discount when we bought are current trailer almost 2 years ago.
And because the wait is so long for a new unit, they could not give me an accurate trade value , assuming that I would keep my current unit until the new one came in. Of course they told me they were expecting a 'dip' in the used market soon. Even if I sold mine outright for a premium, at least for me, the difference is just too much. Especially with the current state of the economy, etc.
So....all that to say that I will just keep what I have and consider making some modifications. I am very grateful and thankful for what I have and will continue to use and enjoy it!
Smart move!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 06-15-2022, 12:24 PM   #46
1 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Sacred Heart , Minnesota
Going from 27FBQ to 30RB

We went from a 2017 Flying Cloud 27FBQ to a 2021 International 30RB. My wife and I found that the extra 2’ 11” makes our experience much nicer than the 27FBQ. There is a little extra room everywhere…extra countertop space, extra overhead/cabinet space, extra lounge couch space, extra closet space, extra room in the bathroom. If you can swing the 30RB, you will find it has a little extra space everywhere. It is just more comfortable.
Granitefines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 02:09 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcc75 View Post
$145K, Yikes. I have a 2017 28’ international and I paid about 95K new. I was able to buy it off the lot at the end of the season. Only one left. Had everything we wanted. Things have changed. With that kind of cost I think I would keep that 25’ as well; unless you can find a nice used one. I don’t get they can’t put AGM’s in….They want you to buy the lithium package is my guess.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 02:58 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2022 28' Pottery Barn
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ , California
I get your point in the $145k cost, but your purchase of your 2017 was almost 5 years ago. That’s a different galaxy from what we live in now.

As far as AGMs go, I would think that JC/Thor is trying to phase them out just like LP fridges and other things.
WellSaid11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 03:42 PM   #49
4 Rivet Member

2021 28' International
Knoxville , Tennessee
Not that experienced with AS's, but I've owned a Nest, a 25'FC Rb Queen, and now a 28' Int. RBTwin.

I would never consider anything but a twin configuration. It adds about 4-5' more feet of trailer by not having a Queen bed taking that area up.

I can't help with the lounging information, but you've had great advice on that.
Gibson3798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 10:15 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Yes, the 28' FC Twin is great; there is more storage in the FC than the International model with the 2 extra bins above the dinning area, but they both are a nice layout. Only real complaint is that L-couch "comfort", which we "kind of" solved by replacing the foam in the seat cushion (easy fix); also pulling out the "bed platform" and placing a dinette rear cushion on the bed platform to make a "grand lounge" for watching TV. We use bolster pillows behind our backs and wife stretches with her back on the L side, feet toward me. That said, I would think AS (by this time), could/should look at a "more comfortable" couch/lounge solution, like in the 30' Classic for the 28'.. I wouldn't mind if I loose a "little storage" up front, for more comfort in the couch.

I know there are options...we have looked at many from the "pro's" solutions and other 28' owners, which include replacing with recliners, etc....just think AS could come up with a 30 Classic type solution.

Another consideration going up from 25' to 27 , 28, 30, or 33' AS models of course, is towing/parking a "longer" TT. Moving from the F150 to the F250 added a foot to the TV wheelbase which takes some getting used to, especially parking. The extra 3' on the AS also can present challenge in some sites when backing in with the extra length. We have not had any real "issues" we have not overcome, but surely takes more "skills" than I needed with my F150 and my 25 AS's... Still, 28' is a great layout for us.
Old 06-18-2022, 04:20 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
I have gone through the thought process- I want to get newer then I consider the cost. I too believe we are in a major transition right now as a country. I did order a new truck last year that I am still waiting on! YouTuber RV channels are saying all sorts of things- some that used RV sales are ready to explode and values decrease. As far as the configuration- I always want the most options. Boondocking is not too easy when everything is electric. I use solar but I also think it is smart to use varied sources of power. I equipped my Airstream for LP or Electric use intentionally. Only the AC is one solution.
Well, configure your '25 to your tastes. I find the sofa solution a winner. It provides comfortable seating, storage underneath and will sleep two with a "full bed" top.
Old 01-23-2023, 01:26 PM   #52
1 Rivet Member

2020 26' Flying Cloud
Plano , Texas
That looks like the perfect setup! We'd love to do something like that to our 26' RB someday. The table on those is too high and it's not a very workable space overall.
jevst is offline   Reply With Quote