Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2016 - Current International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-10-2019, 09:27 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
25RBQ Serenity Battery near dead in 2 days?

So we just got our baby home, we had it plugged in all day on sat/sun. Unplugged it and went back in late monday night. It was put in store mode and closed it up Sunday night.

Come back on Tuesday late afternoon and the meter inside is saying there is about 20-25% of the battery left.

Um......I don't think this is something that should be happening.

We have factory solar on it, so even with a draw, no way does the battery die in less than 2 days.

With it plugged in, and in "store" mode, I can still here a fan running, when I kick the "converter" breaker off, it stops.

But still.....a dead battery in less than two days in store mode?

Any idea what is going on?

Also noticed that the "sticker" on the breaker panel says "flying cloud" even though we have an international Serenity.

Thoughts?

TY.

Chris
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:48 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Sorry to hear the bad news!

Recommend you read your owner's manual carefully about the Use/Store switch [or whatever the 2019 model has like this, to include the solar panel output]. The necessary information could be in a few spots, including near the back of the manual regarding battery maintenance. The converter may run to supply 12-volt power to the trailer, but it may not have been charging the batteries.

If you have the old standard flooded-cell batteries, are the cells full of distilled water, and what is the specific gravity of each cell with a hydrometer? [Use safety goggles and gloves -- does not apply to AGM batteries, which you may have with the solar?]

Who is your dealer? Some are known for not storing new AS carefully, resulting in "lot rot" . . .

"lot rot" search results: https://www.google.com/search?q=lot+...com&gws_rd=ssl

You will find many helpful threads in the Batteries etc. sub-forums:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449/

Please provide more information about the batteries' water and specific gravity [or AGM]. Also, unplug from shore power, wait 2 hours, and report on the battery voltage per your monitor.

You should also call the dealer for advice IMO.

Good luck,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:51 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
I have an older trailer, so take what I say with several grains of salt, but I think you must be in USE mode for the converter to charge the batteries. Second, the converter has a fan in it, but it should be running from 12V generated by the converter. When you turned off the converter AC(?) breaker it killed the converter and the fan but the fan was running from shore power so no harm, no foul.

Do you have an inverter? If so, make sure it is OFF. It is not controlled by the USE/STORE switch, and will kill the batteries in a couple of days if left on.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 10:24 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
The trailer has AGM batteries in it. The unit is a brand new build, so it doesn't have lot rot.

From what I saw on the panel, the inverter was turned off and didn't see an led on in either the store or use mode, so I'm not sure why it would still be "on" in that condition.

It does give me pause and I'll run through the manual front to back to make sure I haven't missed anything.

When we did the walk through, I followed the directions we were shown, so knowing the batteries are being drawn on so hard makes me wonder if there is an unknown issue that I'm not aware of.

It is most likely operator error, but I just need to be sure it's me and not it.....
Old 04-10-2019, 10:29 AM   #5
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
When on shore power the converter fan running means that it is warm, usually from charging the batteries, and will shut off when the batteries are fully charged. The Use/Store switch should have a red light in either position if there is 12 volt power on in the trailer (either batteries or converter.)
Old 04-10-2019, 10:39 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
When on shore power the converter fan running means that it is warm, usually from charging the batteries, and will shut off when the batteries are fully charged. The Use/Store switch should have a red light in either position if there is 12 volt power on in the trailer (either batteries or converter.)
In that case the led was off in both instances so that begs the question of what is drawing that much power to drain the batteries.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:04 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
I may have figured it out, the awning controller was left on.....i assume it has to be a power hog just sitting there idling. It does not shut off when you put it in store mode......why exactly???

Will monitor it and see what happens...very frustrating.
Old 04-11-2019, 06:03 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the updates, and good luck sorting this out!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 09:43 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Also remember that your propane sector is always drawing power off the battery even in store mode. Check all electronics in the stored mode for any indication such as LCD display or standby mode on radios.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 09:45 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidz71 View Post
Also remember that your propane sector is always drawing power off the battery even in store mode. Check all electronics in the stored mode for any indication such as LCD display or standby mode on radios.
That would be propane detector! Darn auto-incorrect.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 05:26 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
IMO I think the awning controller should be cut off when in store mode. Just looking at module, no way that thing is battery friendly.

Why they didn't wire it switched is beyond me.