Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2016 - Current International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-13-2019, 09:23 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
25RB Serenity 2019 Water Leaking

I'm interested in feedback of owners from brand new airstreams purchases.

When you purchased your brand new trailer (not new owner of a used trailer, brand new from factory), did you ever have water leaks upon arrival?

When you had the water leaks fixed, did they ever recur or was it a never ending chase the water leak source forever?

Our brand new 2019 started with a dual leak over the counter from the port windows, had it repaired yesterday, that leak seems to have stopped, but the secondary leak still active (lots of rain this week).

And out of nowhere, a medium size leak started over the side couch from the very top port window along side the big window over the side couch.

Needless to say we are very unhappy and our dealer is bending over backwards to get it resolved.

What I really want to know.....if you bought a brandy new AS, it leaked, was fixed.....was it permanent or did you have to chase it for long periods of time.....and if it was every properly resolved?

Thanks.

Chris
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 03:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Bumping this thread, so no one has ran into this issue.......ever?
Old 04-14-2019, 03:10 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Clayton , Georgia
Chris, we had a water leak, but it was from the toilet flush valve. Frost damage while the unit was towed from JC to the Atlanta dealer. New valve fixed it.

No water leaks of the kind you describe. Hopefully it's fixed now.
TV: 2017 Ford F250 Lariat w/ Blue Ox Sway Pro
AIRForums #126944 WBCCI #1297
Baby Zeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 04:12 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Zeppelin View Post
Chris, we had a water leak, but it was from the toilet flush valve. Frost damage while the unit was towed from JC to the Atlanta dealer. New valve fixed it.

No water leaks of the kind you describe. Hopefully it's fixed now.
Actually we have 3 leaks now and they just picked it up today and towed it back to the dealer for repair.

While we understand stuff happens, it shouldn't be leaking 1 week after delivery and been in our driveway since drop off!

Wife is NOT happy....nor am I.
Old 04-14-2019, 05:23 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Sorry for your troubles!

Sounds like some crucial caulking/sealing was not done on the day your shell was assembled IMO.

FYI here are some threads which may help you figure out some common factors or causations:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Leak...com&gws_rd=ssl

Who is your dealer and what do they say about the “why” ?

Other leads on QC issues FWIW:

https://www.google.com/search?q=QC&s...=airforums.com

Good luck and keep us updated please.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 06:00 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
That is the part that I don't understand. We saw it at the factory being built. How did it make it through 20 minutes of high pressure water testing and this issue not show up there.

We are sure they'll figure it out......but we are hoping this isn't a sign of what else is to come.......

Also, we don't know "why" yet, they just came today and picked it up from us and brought it back for immediate repairs. Hopefully they can sort it out effectively and provide a long term fix....
Old 04-17-2019, 06:33 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
They found the source of the leaks, it seems the windows were not done properly at the factory allowing leaks of a certain kind to get in and in multiple areas. I think they need to increase the sealing material, this is NOT acceptable for what these things cost......if it leaked in 20 years from now.......yeah ok......but right out of the factory???? NO......just NO.

They have repaired it and were very proactive to give me daily status as to where they are at. While it is still very early, I must say the service response from our dealer has been exceptional.

They even sent me a video showing me the test method they use to ensure that the repairs are good.....and impressive it is, like a giant rain shower. I also asked for an internal pressurizing test with smoke, they did it with bubbly solution (just as good) and say she's sealed with high confidence.

The leak from under the fridge seems to be a design issue. They said the tray the fridge sits on is of great construction, but the sealing barrier is some "foam" thing or something and basically unworthy as a proper water barrier.

They shined a flashlight from the back side of the fridge from the service area and the beam of light shows up on the inside of the trailer.......you have got to be kidding me. They are calling Airstream to see what the rectification for such a poor water keep out it is....and if they don't like the answer, will make up there own way to seal the water ingress out........permanently.......I'm all for sealing it up too....I don't want/need to have to worry about water getting in for ANY reason from areas that should be completely water proof IMO.

They are also finishing up our AS connected......we hope to have the trailer back soon. Seems like they are making good progress.

Will update as it comes.
Old 04-17-2019, 07:17 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Colonial Airstream?
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 07:48 AM   #9
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I had one. Unit was freshly towed from the factory to the dealer down the street (from the factory). When to pick it up and the floor was wet, the dinette seats bases were soaked, and so they towed it back to the factory and put it through another round of water tests in the water testing chamber they have and re-caulked the main door and pretty sure a few other places.

They delivered the trailer to me (300 miles from the factory) got it home, parked it in the drive and we got some real monsoon rains...no leaks.

Took it out for a trip, got caught in a rainstorm when towing, got to the destination, floor was soaked.

I myself did some investigating and found that the wheel well on the street side had little to no caulk. I caulked it, and when at the factory for warranty work, they did a more extensive caulking of the street side wheel well..... it never had the issue again.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 07:49 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithcreek View Post
Colonial Airstream?
No, we thought about going to them, but was to far to commute. Not the time, but the NY/NJ BS.
Old 04-23-2019, 01:49 PM   #11
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittmaster View Post
They found the source of the leaks, it seems the windows were not done properly at the factory allowing leaks of a certain kind to get in and in multiple areas. I think they need to increase the sealing material, this is NOT acceptable for what these things cost......if it leaked in 20 years from now.......yeah ok......but right out of the factory???? NO......just NO.

I feel for ya kittmaster and agree, at these prices which are about 2x what they were when I bought mine new, simple things like caulk seem puzzling how they could be omitted or done incorrectly....you don't need a phd in astrophysics to be able to caulk. I would not be as hard on Airstream if it weren't for the fact that anyone can do a Aistream quality search online and find similar issues such as yours and mine over the past 15 or so years since forums and such have taken off to document these things.

The model years change, but the song seems to somewhat stay the same.

Hopefully your rig will be made right in short order.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 08:32 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie View Post
I feel for ya kittmaster and agree, at these prices which are about 2x what they were when I bought mine new, simple things like caulk seem puzzling how they could be omitted or done incorrectly....you don't need a phd in astrophysics to be able to caulk. I would not be as hard on Airstream if it weren't for the fact that anyone can do a Airstream quality search online and find similar issues such as yours and mine over the past 15 or so years since forums and such have taken off to document these things.

The model years change, but the song seems to somewhat stay the same.

Hopefully your rig will be made right in short order.
We got it back on Monday. Driver dropped it off in our driveway (with us there of course). Did an outside check....no damage...so I released it.

We removed all the cushions prior to it leaving so it was only the hard decks left.....open the door and on the "couch" / dinette side there were multiple water droplets all in a sequential row of various sizes.

I look up, can't seem to find a source or water stain.....wtf.

We discuss with the dealer and before we did, I surmised that it may be residual water trapped from the previous leaks just vibrating out from the commute as we've had continual rain and no way for it to dry out. The dealer came back with a similar thought (without me saying anything).....so we cleaned it up and will keep an eye out to see if it leaks as we have MORE rain coming.

First night after we got it back (Monday night) it rained after the clean up and it was dry in the morning after 8 hours of rain, so I "think" we both came up with the right reason that there were water droplets on the wood decks. We will see as the driving rain hits us this Thursday/Friday.

I'm hopefully optimistic......the wife is just flat out furious......strange that I'm the voice of reason.......usually the roles would be reversed.......
Old 05-01-2019, 08:35 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
And just as an added note.

We have YET to even hook this up to our TV and pull it anywhere......it has literally gone from the Ohio, to the dealer, to our driveway, and back and forth.....there probably is over 1800 miles on the tires and we've yet to put a single mile on them.

Hence why the wife is NOT happy......
Old 05-21-2019, 10:21 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2017 19' International
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Monrovia , California
🤢 yuck, I wouldn’t want a trailer that wasn’t sealed properly at the factory. It appears obvious that it soaked material between the walls and was not properly dried before resealing. Who knows what is growing in the walls. I would file a lemon law claim. Very sorry for all the pain you are going through. I hope this gets resolved to your satisfaction. Good luck and Keep us informed.
Kay0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 10:56 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay0 View Post
🤢 yuck, I wouldn’t want a trailer that wasn’t sealed properly at the factory. It appears obvious that it soaked material between the walls and was not properly dried before resealing. Who knows what is growing in the walls. I would file a lemon law claim. Very sorry for all the pain you are going through. I hope this gets resolved to your satisfaction. Good luck and Keep us informed.
I forgot to update this thread. The dealer took it back and did amazing work on it. Turns out the front AC seal was botched...4 windows were not properly sealed...they even mentioned how little material was present and were surprised it even passed the rain test in the factory.

All insulation was verified dried as I spoke directly to the gentleman who performed the repair on the phone before it was returned........it has been dry ever since.....we've had some horrendous rain here over the last 3 weeks and it is bone dry.

So we aren't worried about anything growing because it was properly repaired, cleaned up, and dried out accordingly. There are no odd smells, odors or even a hint something went wrong and literally still smells brandy new.....and I've been in automotive a long time and have a pretty good idea when something is amiss.

Our dealer is a 5 rivet dealer and thus far have proven they are highly trained and competent to do the repairs.

We are in a better place now and been out in it once thus far last weekend....we are well on our way!

Greetz to all.

Chris
Old 05-21-2019, 11:16 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
We are in a better place now and been out in it once thus far last weekend....we are well on our way!

Greetz to all.

Chris
Great news! I hope you enjoy camping for many years to come.
Old 05-22-2019, 05:25 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Good to hear. Yes, we've definitely had enough rain lately to test your repairs! We're heading up to VT, so hopefully this long weekend has at least a couple nice days.
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 06:16 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithcreek View Post
Good to hear. Yes, we've definitely had enough rain lately to test your repairs! We're heading up to VT, so hopefully this long weekend has at least a couple nice days.
Should be a relatively clear weekend.....have an excellent journey!

Post some pics if you can...
Old 07-01-2019, 10:45 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
And just when we thought it was fixed.......major storm came through last night and rained hard.......boom.......leaking in the same spot it was fixed......OMG my wife is fit to be tied....will update as it evolves.......needless to say....I am NOT a happy camper.
Old 07-01-2019, 12:17 PM   #20
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
And just when we thought it was fixed.......major storm came through last night and rained hard.......boom.......leaking in the same spot it was fixed......OMG my wife is fit to be tied....will update as it evolves.......needless to say....I am NOT a happy camper.
Hi kittmaster,*

We're very sorry to learn about this. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team.

Thank you.*